Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-08-2018, 12:16 AM   #241
GullFoss
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanCharles View Post
Well actually I don't know if you frequent CofReddit much but there is a poster who is widely regarded as a Flames insider as he has broke a number of moves before anyone reported on them...

Anyways he just posted that Neal and Smith got into an argument again as Smith was complaining about poor defensive play and Neal fired back to Smith to make a save.

I know this is all heresay but just thought I would share it.

Not saying it true or not just letting y'all know.
I bet this was the issue with Brouwer too. Hard to tell other guys to play better when you're not coming anywhere close to earning your keep.

Last edited by GullFoss; 11-08-2018 at 12:29 AM.
GullFoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GullFoss For This Useful Post:
Old 11-08-2018, 12:17 AM   #242
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Boy Wonder View Post
The flames would be top 3 in NHL with either of those guys in net so far this year
Instead of top 4 where the sit now? Just saying, I don’t think they would make a huge difference over what Calgary has now.
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 12:17 AM   #243
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis Munroe View Post
I don't believe we are the only team who can't find a goalie after this many years. Hiller, Elliot and Smith although on the back 9 were all no doubt starting goalies when the arrive in Calgary.
Beyond just the goalie coach, is there any other role who works mostly with the goalies on a regular basis?
I can’t think of a team that has been as bad as us at finding a goalie. Maybe the Flyers, but that’s it
TheAlpineOracle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 12:18 AM   #244
ShotDownInFlames12
Scoring Winger

Exp:

You know how we all love the ATL reports after a win - if anyone other teams board did that after we lose (and they prob do), a lot of posters should be pretty embarrassed. Settle down and get a grip
ShotDownInFlames12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ShotDownInFlames12 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-08-2018, 12:18 AM   #245
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
We have a back up goalie with no starter. This really is Hiller/Ramo 2.0.
I actually liked Ramo.

Feel like his tenure was cut a bit short. He actually gave them an iota of a chance against the Ducks in round two and was under a 3GAA goalie later on.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 11-08-2018, 12:19 AM   #246
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Like I posted in the game thread. Tim and Sid showed a video of the Ava game last week where it was clear as day that James Neal asked Smith “What the #### are you doing?”
The Following User Says Thank You to TheAlpineOracle For This Useful Post:
Old 11-08-2018, 12:19 AM   #247
Barca
Scoring Winger

Exp:

is Gaudreau injured?
Barca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 12:21 AM   #248
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
I actually liked Ramo.

Feel like his tenure was cut a bit short. He actually gave them an iota of a chance against the Ducks in round two and was under a 3GAA goalie later on.
Even then, Ramo is still no longer in the NHL. After his surgery, re-habbing with.....the Leafs was it? Still couldn't get a job in the NHL. I just do not see Rittich as a guy that can run a 55-65 game season. A true #1.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 12:22 AM   #249
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
I actually liked Ramo.

Me too. It seemed blatant to me that Hartley favoured Hiller. Ramo was never allowed to go on a run. Always back to Hiller no matter how bad he had been regardless if Ramo was playing well. May have been an answer had injuries not derailed him.
Old 11-08-2018, 12:23 AM   #250
Karl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Even then, Ramo is still no longer in the NHL. After his surgery, re-habbing with.....the Leafs was it? Still couldn't get a job in the NHL. I just do not see Rittich as a guy that can run a 55-65 game season. A true #1.
Well, it looks like they'll have to give Rittich an extended run and opportunity now cause Smith can't do the job anymore and can't rely on finding any better options for quite a while.
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 12:24 AM   #251
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShotDownInFlames12 View Post
You know how we all love the ATL reports after a win - if anyone other teams board did that after we lose (and they prob do), a lot of posters should be pretty embarrassed. Settle down and get a grip
This is a weird post. People are always and understandably upset after a loss, but discussion in this thread has actually been fairly measured and on point tonight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 12:26 AM   #252
GullFoss
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

If the team isn't confident in Rittich, then they have to make a trade.

the problem this early in the season is that no starting goalies are available for trade. Only back-ups. So you need a back-up where (1) the team's starter has running room in terms of career (2) The trading partner doesn't mind helping the flames (3) the starter is sufficiently young or the back-up is sufficiently old and (4) the back-up can be a starter.

The list is really, really short:

1) Grubauer if the Avs are going to re-sign Varlamov

2) Lehner

3) Halak

The most logical answer is Halak, especially with the bruins having some injuries on the back-end. Halak can: play a starter, play a 1b role, play a back-up role, go deep in the playoffs. The bruins are committed to Rask. And the bruins, being in the east shouldn't have an issue helping the flames. I bet Stone (partial salary retained) + Rittich would get us Halak

Last edited by GullFoss; 11-08-2018 at 12:29 AM.
Old 11-08-2018, 12:26 AM   #253
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl View Post
Well, it looks like they'll have to give Rittich an extended run and opportunity now cause Smith can't do the job anymore and can't rely on finding any better options for quite a while.
Dont think they're going to. They're going to do this thing they're doing until either the team lights a garbage can on fire in Smiths locker or they make a move. If they were going to give Rittich a run they've had more than enough reasons to do this already this season.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 12:32 AM   #254
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Dont think they're going to. They're going to do this thing they're doing until either the team lights a garbage can on fire in Smiths locker or they make a move. If they were going to give Rittich a run they've had more than enough reasons to do this already this season.
I disagree. Fans are always MUCH less patient and more reactionary than coaches. The Flames have only played 16 games, and so far their starting goalie has played 11 of them. This looks to me like the Flames have already made the decision to give Rittich a heavier workload in the light of Smith's struggles, and I would fully expect that the plan for now is to run the two closer to a split until a solution can be found. I could see Rittich getting a string of games now, but only if he goes on a run.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 11-08-2018, 12:35 AM   #255
jroc
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAlpineOracle View Post
If I was coach/management and Smith actually brought up poor defensive play tonight, his bags would be packed come morning.
Remember when Joey MacDonald put up a huge stinker against the Redwings (I think), then blamed the team in his post game comments? Pretty sure he hit the waiver wire the next day and never played another game in the show.

That guy was awful...
jroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 12:40 AM   #256
flamesforcup
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Man Backlund shouldn't have missed that empty net and Czarnick had a couple good chances. Oh well we dominated got realllly unlucky. Time to stop the Smith experiment but sadly i have a feeling he is gonna get the next start too. They dont wanna pay 6 million for a backup goalie i guess. And worst game i have ever seen Backlund play. Overall lots of positives boys look primed for the playoffs this year Lindholm is exactly what we need and Neal is obviously double the player Brouwer was. See you all for Los Angeles
flamesforcup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 12:41 AM   #257
chummer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ducks tickets as cheap as chips, paid $60 and was 6 rows up in the corner.
Way too low though, was watching the scoreboard when play was in the other end.

Not much of an atmosphere in Anaheim. The Duck's fans I talked to don't seem happy with their team and want Carlyle gone.

Good riddance Honda Center.
chummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 12:43 AM   #258
GullFoss
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Rittich hasnt been great. He's been better than smith and had a couple very good games, but he's also had a few games where he played just okay.

So the flames have to push on two tracks:
1) Find out if Rittich is a number 1 - Rittich needs to play
2) Help Smith find his game so they have a second out if Rittich is not a true #1 goalie

The flames can't give the reigns to rittich until they've either come to the conclusion that: (I) Smith is done or (II) Rittich is a legit starter.

Unfortunately, like other posters today, I'm leaning towards the possibility that Smith is done and Rittich is not a legit starter - which means the flames will have to address this from outside the organisation.

Complicating this problem is that Tre has a long relationship with Smith, so Smith will get lots of extra rope to work through the problem.
Old 11-08-2018, 12:44 AM   #259
MisterJoji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by browna View Post
Rittich has an .857 save percentage over his last 3 games. And the Hawks were floating some on him from well out late in the game hoping to find a hole.

Um, no:

Chicago 12/15
Buffalo 28/29
Montreal 37/40

Old 11-08-2018, 01:00 AM   #260
calgarywinning
First Line Centre

Exp:

Again, I just hope and think it's better that Smith struggles now rather then the second half of the season.

He's got a lot of compete and can be lights out. However the pendulum swung a little more to the left today in my opinion. He's gotta have some of those basic saves.

Hope Johnny is not injured.
calgarywinning is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to calgarywinning For This Useful Post: