Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-03-2018, 11:18 PM   #1
rogermexico
Scoring Winger

Exp:
Default Why I love Bob Cole

Bob Cole describes the play as it happens.
Bob Cole narrates the play. He’s seen them all. He knows what is exciting and what’s worth knowing about the play. And he can tell you about that in the fewsest words possible.
Bob Cole gets excited about the play from the perspective of whoever made the play. The forward made a good move to get an unexpected shot of? Bob Cole is excited. The other forward gets a stick out and makes a turnover? Bob Cole gets excited. The point of view of his play call shifts effortlessly depending on who’s pushing the play. Bob Cole is the most objective play-caller because all he cares about is good plays.
Bob Cole has a cadence and delivery that gets you into the game and keeps you paying attention.
Bob Cole never distracts from the play by trying to tell you something that isn’t relevant to what’s going on right now.
It has been a treat to listen to Bob call games my whole life and i’m Stoked that he did at least one more home game for us. Thanks Bob, you are a legend.
rogermexico is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 71 Users Say Thank You to rogermexico For This Useful Post:
Old 11-03-2018, 11:25 PM   #2
joejoe3
First Line Centre

Exp:

Bob Cole is 85

#Respect
Old 11-03-2018, 11:29 PM   #3
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nice job Flames:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1058914697330679808
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 11:32 PM   #4
combustiblefuel
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't mind Bob cole calling games.

He has never been the pbp style alot of people like Ball, Randorf etc. Where the call it like being on radio where you need super descriptive. He has always called it non nonchalantly. He knows he is on t.v and people can see whats going on. He always has been more descriptive of the atmosphere at the game than whats on the ice.

Edit: Just look at the clip above his style hasn't changed much
People nowadays just ####ing complain about everything .

Last edited by combustiblefuel; 11-03-2018 at 11:34 PM.
combustiblefuel is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to combustiblefuel For This Useful Post:
Old 11-03-2018, 11:34 PM   #5
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

He called a fantastic game tonight. The man is a true legend. He's the only commentator that makes me stressed when I go to the kitchen, because suddenly his voice picks up and you just know something amazing happened. He has that legendary sound in his voice that snaps your head back to see what happened.

Bob Cole and Peter Maher. Best PBP guys ever.
Huntingwhale is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Huntingwhale For This Useful Post:
Old 11-03-2018, 11:38 PM   #6
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by joejoe3 View Post
Bob Cole is 85

#Respect
Old 11-03-2018, 11:50 PM   #7
Red
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Bob Cole is great. Easy to criticize him for messing up some players names, but the guy barely watches the Flames.
Those that complained about him, could you do better? Let's see if Ball can call a NYI - Florida game without mistakes. Not as easy as it looks.
Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 11:54 PM   #8
burnin_vernon
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I read the whole OP as Norm Macdonald doing Bob Dole.
burnin_vernon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to burnin_vernon For This Useful Post:
Old 11-04-2018, 12:04 AM   #9
Boreal
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnin_vernon View Post
I read the whole OP as Norm Macdonald doing Bob Dole.
Hopefully you held your pen.
Boreal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Boreal For This Useful Post:
Old 11-04-2018, 12:06 AM   #10
Boreal
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogermexico View Post
Bob Cole narrates the play. He’s seen them all. He knows what is exciting and what’s worth knowing about the play. And he can tell you about that in the fewsest words possible.
Bob Cole gets excited about the play from the perspective of whoever made the play. The forward made a good move to get an unexpected shot of? Bob Cole is excited. The other forward gets a stick out and makes a turnover? Bob Cole gets excited. The point of view of his play call shifts effortlessly depending on who’s pushing the play. Bob Cole is the most objective play-caller because all he cares about is good plays.
Bob Cole has a cadence and delivery that gets you into the game and keeps you paying attention.
Bob Cole never distracts from the play by trying to tell you something that isn’t relevant to what’s going on right now.
It has been a treat to listen to Bob call games my whole life and i’m Stoked that he did at least one more home game for us. Thanks Bob, you are a legend.
Bob Cole let’s the game breathe...
Boreal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Boreal For This Useful Post:
Old 11-04-2018, 12:08 AM   #11
flylock shox
1 millionth post winnar!

Exp:

Great thread.

I was just catching up on the game and thinking how much I'd love every game with the Flames sporting their real unis and Bob Cole calling the play by play.

When he retires, hopefully they just install a red button in the booth that yells out "scores!" in Bob's voice, so at least we have that.
flylock shox is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to flylock shox For This Useful Post:
Old 11-04-2018, 12:12 AM   #12
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/odognine2/status/194585187579985922
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 12:40 AM   #13
Hanna Sniper
Franchise Player

Exp:

each their own, I find the game has passed him by

He calls things that didn't happen as he tends ti anticipate the play but is incorrect in his anticipation. With my vision issues, I rely on the PBP to fill in a lot of the details that I can't see. Like tonight when he said a Chicago player picked up the puck and iced it when in fact he skated through the neutral zone and over the blueline than dumped it in.

Things like that are very common in his calls, he has a great rhythm to his call but the misinformation gets frustrating

Last edited by Hanna Sniper; 11-04-2018 at 12:42 AM.
Hanna Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Hanna Sniper For This Useful Post:
Old 11-04-2018, 12:40 AM   #14
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogermexico View Post
This is what makes Mr Cole truly the greatest of all time. I hadn't ever considered it quite that way before, but it's exactly what he does.

It's why it can seem like he's cheering for the other team. He's not. The other team is kicking the #### out of yours. And you're bitching about this great man instead of saying thank you.

Thank you, Bob Cole.
Old 11-04-2018, 12:43 AM   #15
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Terrific standing ovation from the Saddledome crowd tonight. Well done Calgary!
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Toonage For This Useful Post:
Old 11-04-2018, 01:16 AM   #16
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bob Cole calling the last seconds of game 6 in the 1989 Stanley Cup Final. "...and here comes the Calgary Flames!"

Not used as often but just as awesome as "Yeah, Baby!"
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 01:22 AM   #17
drewtastic
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvp2003 View Post
Chills. 50 years is unbelievable.

(PS: A little off topic, but I was in my first full-time STH year during the 2003-2004 season, and was at that SJ game, our seats being just right of the zamboni entrance in the second tier. That goal came towards us. Before the faceoff, you could see Conroy and Gelinas concocting something. It was a brief consult, but still: something was afoot. Gelinas sprung ahead as Conroy clearly intended to win the draw forward. The hesitation on Gelinas' shot froze Nabokov. I tried to get up to celebrate but plopped back down in my seat shaking my head in disbelief-that whole play was so good. That team was just so damned confident during that run.)
drewtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 04:02 AM   #18
Mightyfire89
And I Don't Care...

Exp:

He was the best, once upon a time. I used to love listening to him call a game. Sadly, at this point he’s embarrassing himself and soiling his legacy. He’s TERRIBLE now at calling a hockey game. He should have retired many years ago.

Peter Maher knew when to retire. He was still very good at his craft.
Old 11-04-2018, 04:30 AM   #19
combustiblefuel
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyfire89 View Post
He was the best, once upon a time. I used to love listening to him call a game. Sadly, at this point he’s embarrassing himself and soiling his legacy. He’s TERRIBLE now at calling a hockey game. He should have retired many years ago.

Peter Maher knew when to retire. He was still very good at his craft.
If I'm remembering right was there not som rumblings at the time Sportsnet was " helping " Maher with this decision to retire.
combustiblefuel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 05:12 AM   #20
shadowlord
First Line Centre

Exp:

Bob Cole was great in his time, but he's way past his prime and needs to get out.

I didn't get a chance to watch the game live, so I had to watch replays. Watching any clips from CBC were useless because Cole barely reads out any players names, especially when the action is too fast for him to process.

So I while I was watching my PVR'ed copy, here is a few of the many things I noticed:

At one point 7 Flames players touched the puck before he read out a player name.

Hanafin was skating the puck up the ice on the powerplay, and he call him Tkachuk.

Bennett deflected a shot that Crawford saved, and he called it as tipped wide.

Called the Flames "the Canucks" in the 2nd period. Did he call a Canucks game recently?

Cole now calls things like "he takes it across the line" or "shoots the puck", frequently using "he" or "they" instead of names. With that poor level of detail, I might as well just put the TV on mute.

That's okay for the Flames, because I know the numbers of our players (although it's hard to read if I'm watching on my phone), but I don't know the opposition players as well, especially if it's not the puck carrier; for example, knowing who the other player is on a 2-on-1 against us.

I wish I could have sync'ed up the Fan960 feed, but it was PVR'ed.

It's time to hang up the mic.
shadowlord is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to shadowlord For This Useful Post: