Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-05-2018, 12:29 AM   #41
csnarpy
First Line Centre

Exp:

That looks like just the scar from his surgery, prob some scar tissue in there as well.
csnarpy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to csnarpy For This Useful Post:
Old 11-05-2018, 08:07 AM   #42
flamesforcup
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Unpopular opinion but their health should be more important to them then winning a few games in my opinion. I dont know why the team would not shut him down
flamesforcup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 08:29 AM   #43
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:
Default After four separate offseason operations, Sean Monahan embraces new approach

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamesforcup View Post
Unpopular opinion but their health should be more important to them then winning a few games in my opinion. I dont know why the team would not shut him down
I assume you are raising this concern in regard to Monahan’s injuries last year? Because as of today the only suggestion that he could be playing injured stems from a video feed in which his wrist might look swollen.

Otherwise, it’s part of the risk and exchange that players agree to as very highly compensated professional athletes. Hockey may wreck a players back, or his knees, or his wrists by the time he is 40-years-old, but a good number—Monahan certainly—will walk away with enough money to never have to work again. The players themselves still retain a lot of control over whether they play or not, and I expect that most of them will choose to play through injuries so long as they can.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 08:34 AM   #44
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

This shutting him down stuff gets over cooked.

If the team if fully informed by the player would have to look at two issues.

1) Is there long term risk by playing through it, or is the procedure needed the same regardless of whether they do it now, or wait until the summer
2) Is the heal time going to cut into next season
3) What is the player's desire to play? (pain threshold)

If there isn't a change in long term effect, it can be fixed timely in the off season and the player wants to play you don't need to shut him down unless it affects his play to the point where a replacement is better.
Bingo is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 11-05-2018, 08:39 AM   #45
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

The Flames are in the middle of a 1 game in 6 days stretch. Good time for some bumps and bruises to get better.
DeluxeMoustache is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 08:41 AM   #46
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Monahan has looked more physically engaged in the last few games than I've ever seen him. I think his wrist is OK and the fact the bump there is by his scar suggests it's scar tissue. Maybe it's just a funny angle. His shot certainly seems fine.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 08:58 AM   #47
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

I would expect that if Monahan was nursing anything minor that he would be taking maintenance days, similar to Tkachuk and Backlund. But so far as I can recall he has participated in every practice this season.

I am quite confident that he is fine.

Quote:
Old 11-05-2018, 09:05 AM   #48
Rando
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeslice View Post
Just watched Monahan’s Post game vid from last night and noticed his left wrist is pretty swollen - is that normally related to his type of wrist surgery or maybe swollen over the course of the first 15 games? Hope he’s not fighting through more injuries!

At the 55 second mark you should see it:
https://www.facebook.com/NHLFlames/v...4035292749289/
Swelling usually goes down after a week or two.

I'm more concerned that the team doesn't provide proper sized shirts for their players. Look how much of the neckline Monahan had to modify.
Rando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 10:08 AM   #49
Flames Fan, Ph.D.
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
This shutting him down stuff gets over cooked.

If the team if fully informed by the player would have to look at two issues.

1) Is there long term risk by playing through it, or is the procedure needed the same regardless of whether they do it now, or wait until the summer
2) Is the heal time going to cut into next season
3) What is the player's desire to play? (pain threshold)

If there isn't a change in long term effect, it can be fixed timely in the off season and the player wants to play you don't need to shut him down unless it affects his play to the point where a replacement is better.
There is value to a third party making the decision regarding #1.

#2 is a team concern and not a medical question.

I think the way you list these concerns is SOP in hockey and puts the players at risk.
Flames Fan, Ph.D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 10:14 AM   #50
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Fan, Ph.D. View Post
There is value to a third party making the decision regarding #1.

#2 is a team concern and not a medical question.

I think the way you list these concerns is SOP in hockey and puts the players at risk.
How is the player at risk if #1 above is a medical profession assessing whether the injury can be made worse and therefore detrimental to the player's career?
Old 11-05-2018, 10:15 AM   #51
psyang
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rando View Post
Swelling usually goes down after a week or two.

I'm more concerned that the team doesn't provide proper sized shirts for their players. Look how much of the neckline Monahan had to modify.
Base on his after hours interview, that's probably the same shirt from when he was in juniors.
psyang is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to psyang For This Useful Post:
Old 11-05-2018, 10:27 AM   #52
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by psyang View Post
Base on his after hours interview, that's probably the same shirt from when he was in juniors.
I think he said minor hockey, no? Which is incredible.

Quote:
Old 11-05-2018, 01:05 PM   #53
Flames Fan, Ph.D.
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
How is the player at risk if #1 above is a medical profession assessing whether the injury can be made worse and therefore detrimental to the player's career?
Because if the doctor is affiliated with the team in any way, it can impact the decisions made. See NFL's joke on-the-field concussion protocol that medical professionals have participated in.
Old 11-05-2018, 02:05 PM   #54
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Because if the doctor is affiliated with the team in any way, it can impact the decisions made. See NFL's joke on-the-field concussion protocol that medical professionals have participated in.
I appreciate your point, but the culture of the NFL is much different.

The NFL is a meat grinder, and this opinion is held from top to bottom. Every player is considered replaceable but the quarterback. The rules, actions, and attitudes of the NFL reflect this. As such the long term health of the average NFL starter is not very important to the team or the league. They will squeeze the best out of a player until they are broken, long term health be damned.

In the NHL the long term health of most players, especially franchise players like Monahan is very important so how injuries are handled is very different.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 02:08 PM   #55
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
If the doctor is shady then all bets are off.

But can't we assume the long term health of Sean Monahan is both the team and the player's best interests?

And if so my original check list gets it done.
Old 11-05-2018, 02:09 PM   #56
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronMaiden View Post

The NFL is a meat grinder, and this opinion is held from top to bottom. Every player is considered replaceable but the quarterback. The rules, actions, and attitudes of the NFL reflect this. As such the long term health of the average NFL starter is not very important to the team or the league. They will squeeze the best out of a player until they are broken, long term health be damned.

In the NHL the long term health of most players, especially franchise players like Monahan is very important so how injuries are handled is very different.
Except in Edmonton. See Souray, Sheldon.
Old 11-05-2018, 02:10 PM   #57
Flames Fan, Ph.D.
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronMaiden View Post

When you bring in interested parties to be the arbiters of care, standards are very often compromised. This is one of the major reasons why doctors do not treat relatives, for example, and bring in neutral third parties for care.
Old 11-05-2018, 02:15 PM   #58
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
When you bring in interested parties to be the arbiters of care, standards are very often compromised. This is one of the major reasons why doctors do not treat relatives, for example, and bring in neutral third parties for care.
I agree, still, I think that the goals of the interested parties in the NHL are closer in line with maintaining long term health than the NFLs interests. I'm not suggesting that players are not told to "play hurt" indeed this is likely the case for most players by the end of the season. However, I do believe that managers, coaches and owners understand that the long term health of key players sometimes outweighs the benefits of short term decision making. Of course, judgement calls of this sort happen all the time, and are often not ethical.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 11:23 PM   #59
Homeslice
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Maybe I missed this the first go around, but how did Monahan ever get to the point where the team thought it was ok for him to be playing through 4 injuries in the first place? In the interest of his long-term health like Bingo alluded to, would not it have been better to just shut him down before it got that bad? Again, I don't know the backstory to this (if any), but it sounds a little like compromised care on the part of the Flames Medical staff, and perhaps Monahan's ability to play through injuries.

And in circumstances where there is significant off-season surgery and rehab, how do players go through medical to get an "all clear" to play?

Do players just lie just to get back ASAP to be ready for camp and opening night, even if they are not ready? Do players even have control over this, or is it completely out of their hands?

I'm assuming players, even of Monahan's caliber (or more recently, Hamonic, given his opening night face fracture) still have to go through a few practices so the coach can give the final OK, but this situation is interesting to me because I really have no idea...
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 11:28 PM   #60
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't know about Monahan, but some injuries can be worsened with more play, and some don't - they just hurt.