Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-18-2021, 09:38 AM   #21
Icantwhisper
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Actually, when I see a Harley Davidson edition F-150, I think that’s pretty stupid so maybe advertising on advertising is gross, I could go either way
Old 04-18-2021, 10:22 AM   #22
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Just guessing but I would imagine the logo on the sweater will be tiny like the NBA ones so I doubt I'll care about the Scotiabank logo there much like I don't care about the one on the helmet. Also don't think the jersey you buy will have that logo on it but we'll just have to wait and see .
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 10:25 AM   #23
Iggy Snipe
Powerplay Quarterback

Location: Pengrowth Saddledome, Section 222, Row 23, Seat 14/15
Exp:

Every team in the NHL already has helmet advertisement, which i was worried about. I have not noticed them one bit. They are small, and coloured and placed in a way that makes it part of the uniform.

With that being said, I am not as worried about the jersey advertisement. I think they will be small, and not overbearing. It is necessary unfortunately to keep the economic state of the game healthy.

Don't worry everyone, the NHL is extremely smart, and they will not look like a team from the KHL.
Iggy Snipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 10:39 AM   #24
SmoggyFlamesFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy Snipe View Post
Every team in the NHL already has helmet advertisement, which i was worried about. I have not noticed them one bit. They are small, and coloured and placed in a way that makes it part of the uniform.

With that being said, I am not as worried about the jersey advertisement. I think they will be small, and not overbearing. It is necessary unfortunately to keep the economic state of the game healthy.

Don't worry everyone, the NHL is extremely smart, and they will not look like a team from the KHL.
Doesn't the jersey already have ads?

Adidas logo, the NHL shield, the team logo, etc. If they do what the euro leagues did, I am done with the NHL. If it's something similar to NBA teams, then I suppose that's fine, but that's where I draw the line.
SmoggyFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SmoggyFlamesFan For This Useful Post:
Old 04-18-2021, 11:04 AM   #25
bc-chris
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy Snipe View Post

the flames are lucky that their helmet advertising 'works' with their colours.

just watching the bruins/caps game and the bruins have a green and white 'td bank' logo on their helmets - the green doesn't work.

the leafs have a red scotia bank logo on their white helmets
the canucks have a red rogers logo on their white helmets
the preds have a black/red bridgestone logo on both their white and yellow helmets
the devils have a blue prudential logo on their white helmets
the penguins have a blue ppg logo on their white helmet

as you mentioned - at least the helmet logos are usually smaller (some teams have pretty big ones though) and they are not noticeable during live game play
Old 04-18-2021, 02:35 PM   #26
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Not surprising, the NHL is a business first and making money is their primary objective.

My one and only gripe with advertising on equipment is the clashing logos. I hope the NHL is smarter about who they partner with rather then just taking top dollar. The Flames and the scotiabank logo for instance fits like a glove, not so much with the Maple Leafs. Make better partnership decisions. No McDonalds or burger kings and etc that can cheapen the brand. Be smart NHL.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Classic_Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 03:38 PM   #27
codynw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic_Sniper View Post
Not surprising, the NHL is a business first and making money is their primary objective.

My one and only gripe with advertising on equipment is the clashing logos. I hope the NHL is smarter about who they partner with rather then just taking top dollar. The Flames and the scotiabank logo for instance fits like a glove, not so much with the Maple Leafs. Make better partnership decisions. No McDonalds or burger kings and etc that can cheapen the brand. Be smart NHL.

Making the players wear paid third party advertisements anywhere cheapens the brand already, so at this point it doesn't matter anymore.
codynw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 03:53 PM   #28
kukkudo
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

[QUOTE=Classic_Sniper;7829203]Not surprising, the NHL is a business first and making money is their primary objective.

No way the NHL says no to the biggest fast food chain. Way too much money involved. A small M on the jersey etc wont hurt.
kukkudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 03:58 PM   #29
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Meh

Who cares

Plenty of sports have advertising, in fact I’d say it is unusual to not have advertising

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 04-18-2021, 04:41 PM   #30
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Lol yes they're going to care about what brand gives them money.

Sorry McDonald's, you're out. We need Fatburger, 5 Guys, or better to not cheapen our brand.

Or possibly comics from the New Yorker.
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DownhillGoat For This Useful Post:
Old 04-18-2021, 04:56 PM   #31
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I'm curious to know why you think McDonald's or Burger King would cheapen the brand? What is a suitable sponsor? Pepsi? Molson? Canadian Tire? DraftKings? I could understand not wanting companies that are polarizing or which have a history of unpopular politicizing but Burger King and McD's are not those types of companies.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 05:39 PM   #32
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not the end of the world...

but it is a slippery slope....

Fine:

um no, just no:

i doubt the NHL will ever get to the latter, but 4 sponsors (Helmet, shoulder patches one on left or right chest) I could see eventually
oldschoolcalgary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 07:02 PM   #33
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't know if North American sports (cause this is not just a NHL thing) will ever get to the extent of European jerseys. You figure that to maximize the revenue potential of ads on jerseys, it can't be oversaturated with other adds that compete against one another. Limiting jerseys to one ad should have more value than having jerseys that have multiple ads on it. Due to that, I figure the leagues want to keep it to one ad if they figure that makes the market as high as it can be to justify high value prices.
Joborule is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 07:58 PM   #34
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
I'm curious to know why you think McDonald's or Burger King would cheapen the brand? What is a suitable sponsor? Pepsi? Molson? Canadian Tire? DraftKings? I could understand not wanting companies that are polarizing or which have a history of unpopular politicizing but Burger King and McD's are not those types of companies.
There's a big difference between a McDonalds logo and say, a Leux logo. I'm sure Lexus would pay well enough, the NHL shouldn't just accept any logo just because they pay a bit more IMO. That's what I mean by "partnering" up, ads on jerseys will already be a shock to the system and will anger the majority of fans. So, they should try to be smarter with their choices and find good tasteful combinations (i.e. Scotiabank logo & Flames).

Last edited by Classic_Sniper; 04-18-2021 at 08:02 PM.
Old 04-18-2021, 08:01 PM   #35
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by codynw View Post
Making the players wear paid third party advertisements anywhere cheapens the brand already, so at this point it doesn't matter anymore.
Hasn't hurt soccer. Still the most watched sport in the world. I can't even think of an actual team logo other than that gigantic AON corporate ad.
Old 04-18-2021, 08:08 PM   #36
DionTheDman
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

My hope with all of this is that Brazzers becomes the Oilers jersey sponsor, and eventually they replace the Oilers logo entirely with Brazzers in Oilers font with the oil drop.
DionTheDman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 09:54 PM   #37
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Hasn't hurt soccer. Still the most watched sport in the world. I can't even think of an actual team logo other than that gigantic AON corporate ad.
How does soccer do at getting chumps to cough up $250 for jerseys?

If I'm buying a jersey, I don't want to be buying third-party ads all over it. But without the third-party ads it won't be an authentic jersey… so I guess I have to choose between looking like a construction site hoarding with stickers all over it, or keeping my money in my pocket. Hmmm, tough choice.
Old 04-19-2021, 09:15 AM   #38
N26
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I have a TJ Kladno František Kaberle jersey and a Västra Frölunda Christian Ruuttu jersey from the the 90s (though I am not sure I could tell you exactly where they are at the moment) Both are complete with lots of advertising.

They're ugly because of it. Colour clashes and just no clean lines anywhere the biggest problem. The Kladno jersey's have advertising in the name bar and the "Kaberle" is under the number just above the striping. Do not like that. Makes it look like everyone has the same last name.

I can't remember the team of the offending company anymore but I remember the year I lived there a lower tier Czech team (from the Pilsen area I think) got a sponsorship from a nightclub that was known to be involved in the German sex tourism stuff that occurred (and maybe still does) after the fall of communism. Hard to wear that with pride.

I too accept the inevitability of this but I hope it can be done with asthetics and class in mind.
N26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 09:25 AM   #39
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Random View Post
How does soccer do at getting chumps to cough up $250 for jerseys?

If I'm buying a jersey, I don't want to be buying third-party ads all over it. But without the third-party ads it won't be an authentic jersey… so I guess I have to choose between looking like a construction site hoarding with stickers all over it, or keeping my money in my pocket. Hmmm, tough choice.
I wonder.

Let's look at Man U in 18/19:

https://www.statista.com/statistics/...sales-by-club/

https://retail-insider.com/articles/...les-worldwide/

They seem to be doing ok.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 09:35 AM   #40
Igottago
Franchise Player

Exp:

Soccer fans are used to it, most people now can't even remember plain jerseys. I remember seeing the sponsors on the jerseys as far back as the 80's, maybe it happened even earlier.
I know its totally inconsistent but it doesn't bother me much with soccer jerseys, I would absolutely hate it on a Flames jersey. Again, its just whatever you become used to.
But the NHL know that the next generation will just get used to it, and anyone who is going to complain will just keep watching the sport anyways. This was always inevitable.

"I was like Christ, lying on my back, with my arms outstretched, crucified"
-- Frank Musil - Early January 1994
Igottago is offline   Reply With Quote