Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 08-17-2012, 10:55 AM   #1
Flabbibulin
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Urgent advice needed on trip cancellation

My wife and I are supposed to fly out to England next Friday night. Due to an unforeseen medical situation with my wife, we may have to cancel the trip last minute. As luck would have it, we literally won’t get the yes or no from doctors until Thursday, the day before we fly out. There is a chance that she is perfectly ok to fly, but wont know till next week.

Worst case scenario, we will suck it up and just lose the $3000 for the flights, but I am hoping to somehow avoid this. I called BA and there is no cancellation allowed on the tickets. Someone suggested cancellation insurance, but I am wondering if the policy will cover a case where a “pre-existing condition” is already there and we are well aware that we may need to cancel. I guess I could just not mention it, but it isn’t my style to be dishonest and there is already documented evidence of what is going on- ie. Would probably come up if we try to claim the refund through insurance.

Anyways, any advice or recommendations??? Am I likely SOL? I am thinking of calling an insurance company and being perfectly honest about the situation, but I have a hard time believing they will grant us a policy when we already know there is a good chance we need to cancel.
Old 08-17-2012, 10:57 AM   #2
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Maybe the airline could give you flights for another time, if you pay a fee.
Old 08-17-2012, 10:59 AM   #3
HOOT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Don't waste your money on insurance, they would deny your claim in a second. It would be like you running out and buying home insurance after a small fire started in your kitchen and you weren't sure how far it would spread throughtout the house.
Old 08-17-2012, 11:01 AM   #4
FiftyBelow
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Airlines are pretty annoying when it comes to things like this. It's possible that you might be able to recover a significant portion of what you paid for if you pay some kind of fee. I just did this with Air Canada. It was a $2014 ticket in which they charged $279 and refunded around $1700.
Old 08-17-2012, 11:01 AM   #5
Flabbibulin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
Maybe the airline could give you flights for another time, if you pay a fee.
Sorry, should have mentioned... We are going for a wedding, so going later in the fall or something wouldn't really work.

its 275 per seat per flight per seat to change, plus any difference in the flight cost. I guess we could also just book something well down the road (better than losing the entire cost)

I talked to a call center in India and the agent wasn't really interested in my compassion pleas- was not willing to grant a 12 month travel voucher as I had hoped.

My old man is premium elite or something with BA, so hoping he could pull some strings, but he is in the middle of nowhere in Oman and I haven't been able to get a hold of him.

Last edited by Flabbibulin; 08-17-2012 at 11:03 AM.
Old 08-17-2012, 11:01 AM   #6
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

If you paid for the tickets by credit card, the card itself might have cancellation insurance.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 08-17-2012, 11:05 AM   #7
Flabbibulin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
If you paid for the tickets by credit card, the card itself might have cancellation insurance.
ha ha, yup. You know those annoying calls you get every month or so from your credit card and bank trying to sell insurance?? Well, I ignore the calls or say no every time- which might be kind of stupid because we typically go overseas at least once a year.
Old 08-17-2012, 11:06 AM   #8
Knut

Exp:

^ We found that out and used it against the airline to get a voucher for 12 months.
Old 08-17-2012, 11:10 AM   #9
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flabbibulin View Post
ha ha, yup. You know those annoying calls you get every month or so from your credit card and bank trying to sell insurance?? Well, I ignore the calls or say no every time- which might be kind of stupid because we typically go overseas at least once a year.
It depends on the card. On some of them the insurance isnt supplementary its part of owning the card.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 08-17-2012, 11:12 AM   #10
Flabbibulin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
It depends on the card. On some of them the insurance isnt supplementary its part of owning the card.
I will call right away.
Old 08-17-2012, 11:18 AM   #11
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

You might also want to try giving the airline a call again. Like so many things it's often a case of CSR roulette. A few tips:

- Call mid-morning local time for the place you want to call. So if it's BA call about 3:00 in the morning MDT. You have a better chance of finding somebody local.
- Ask general questions before getting into specifics to get a feel for who you are talking to.
- Call an "escallated" number. Like you mentioned, ask about info for joining premier elite and then ask that person about your options.
- If they have an option for French; and you can speak some French- do it. Then make no attempt to hide your English accent. (This works for Bell if you need to speak to somebody in Canada.)
The Following User Says Thank You to ken0042 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-15-2021, 11:53 AM   #12
Rutuu
First Line Centre

Exp:

Hmmm...tough call on my Air Canada flight refund. They give you the option to take the cash now in full, or you can convert the ticket value to Aeroplane points and get a 65% bonus. Thoughts?
Old 04-15-2021, 11:59 AM   #13
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Safe to say 9 years after the fact does not fall into the scope of "urgent advice"
The Following User Says Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 04-15-2021, 12:04 PM   #14
Codes
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Heh...I was thinking to myself that now isn't the best time to be going to England for a wedding!
Old 04-15-2021, 12:15 PM   #15
Swift
Not Taylor

Exp:

Huh, weird thread because didn't the OP just post in the COVID thread regarding his wife being sick? Totally thought it was a current thread.
Old 04-15-2021, 12:45 PM   #16
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rutuu View Post
Hmmm...tough call on my Air Canada flight refund. They give you the option to take the cash now in full, or you can convert the ticket value to Aeroplane points and get a 65% bonus. Thoughts?
Guaranteed Air Canada has done the calculation that converting to points greatly benefits them. They get to keep your cash and they still control the actual cash value of each point so they can devalue your cash at any time.
Old 04-15-2021, 12:45 PM   #17
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

Now that’s an insane necrobump. Love to see it
Closed Thread