Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-18-2021, 10:31 AM   #741
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Jankowski got a goal and an assist in his first post-Flames game. Added an assist the next game. Then went 2 months and 20 games without a sniff.

Glencross had 4 points in 3 game after being traded. Only 3 more the rest of the season.

Last edited by GioforPM; 04-18-2021 at 10:36 AM.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 10:36 AM   #742
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Joe Colborne:

https://www.espn.com/nhl/boxscore?gameId=400884423
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 10:37 AM   #743
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

Bennett is a guy who needed a change. It's not easy for someone to be a teams highest pick ever and then not reach that potential. In Florida he becomes someone with expectations that were always inline with what he is.

Even Bouwmeester was better in St.Louis largely because he had a role better suited to him. He wasn't a lead dog number one type. But in 2-3 shut down guy was something he excelled at.
Old 04-18-2021, 10:39 AM   #744
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
I am fairly sure this is something we actually did see at the end of the 2018 season when Monahan was injured, and it sucked.

I recall being excited to see Bennett given a stretch with Gaudreau, and came away convinced that he is just not a top-six forward.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
Under a terrible coach
ForeverFlameFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 10:43 AM   #745
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverFlameFan View Post
Under a terrible coach
There is always an excuse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 04-18-2021, 10:49 AM   #746
nieuwy-89
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvanfan View Post
Bennett is a guy who needed a change. It's not easy for someone to be a teams highest pick ever and then not reach that potential. In Florida he becomes someone with expectations that were always inline with what he is.

Even Bouwmeester was better in St.Louis largely because he had a role better suited to him. He wasn't a lead dog number one type. But in 2-3 shut down guy was something he excelled at.
Agreed. Lucic is another example. Edmonton expected an offensive power forward and he struggled. In Calgary, he’s really settled in as a role player who brings leadership, toughness, and is not relied upon to drive the team’s offence.
nieuwy-89 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nieuwy-89 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-18-2021, 10:56 AM   #747
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
There is always an excuse.

So, let’s only give Bennett the sample size of playing with Gaudreau when Monahan is injured, from 3 years ago. Okay.

Bennett didn’t do himself any favors, but he also was in the dog house with coaches GG, Peters, and Ward. It wasn’t until a small leak of Bennett entertaining a move elsewhere that Ward gave him a little bit more time. Sutter started to let Bennett PK and take on more of an extended role than what Sam already had. And he was getting on the score sheet towards the end of his career in Calgary. Too little too late, but I don’t give 100% fault to Bennett.
ForeverFlameFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ForeverFlameFan For This Useful Post:
Old 04-18-2021, 10:57 AM   #748
DazzlinDino
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nieuwy-89 View Post
Agreed. Lucic is another example. Edmonton expected an offensive power forward and he struggled. In Calgary, he’s really settled in as a role player who brings leadership, toughness, and is not relied upon to drive the team’s offence.
Exactly, Bennett was a good role player here. For everyone's piece of mind including Bennett's, this is a good move.
DazzlinDino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 11:21 AM   #749
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
Dude didn't put out on a consistent basis for us.

He won't long term for Florida either. New team boost feels pretty expected.
Yeah this. Despite the overall disappointment of how he's turned out given his draft position, I still loved the dude here and am sad he's gone. That said, I don't buy for a second he's going to suddenly morph into someone who looks like a 4th overall pick now in Florida. It's totally new team boost, and he'll prob have a decent playoffs as well, because Bennett. But that's it.

I could see his #'s being a little better next season in Florida, just given the better talent around him there. But he's never going to turn back into "2015 playoffs Bennett", that dude is gone forever. Love him, but we all know what he is by now.
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sainters7 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-18-2021, 11:39 AM   #750
CalgaryFan1988
Franchise Player

Exp:

Be curious to see if Bennett's penalty numbers decline or stay the same and if the Wideman curse is real.
CalgaryFan1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 11:48 AM   #751
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvp2003 View Post
Quite the debut for Sam. Happy for him and I hope he does well in Florida under Q.

That said, Joe Colborne once had a hat trick in his Colorado debut. It happens.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
I think Sam will turn into an excellent everyday NHLer, cuz......Flames.
Sigh. Did anyone actually watch the game, or just go the scoresheet and make the determination of Bennett's play because of the point production? His "two" points were about as Sam Bennett as you would expect. A secondary assist on a bump back to the point from the half wall, which resulted in a shot (going wide) that was tipped in. The other point was on a shot from the point that hit him in the pants and the puck went to Huberdeau for a wide open net. Same game he always plays but with some fortunate results. In the third period he got bailed out by his goaltender after some really shoddy board work and being soft on the puck. You're not going to see some huge transformation from the guy. Give him a season and see what he does, which is likely to be very similar as he performed in Calgary. He's not going to get smarter, or become a better passer, or develop an NHL level shot. He'll be a grinder who plays physical and hopefully creates some space up front for his linemates.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 04-18-2021, 12:06 PM   #752
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
Sigh. Did anyone actually watch the game, or just go the scoresheet and make the determination of Bennett's play because of the point production? His "two" points were about as Sam Bennett as you would expect. A secondary assist on a bump back to the point from the half wall, which resulted in a shot (going wide) that was tipped in. The other point was on a shot from the point that hit him in the pants and the puck went to Huberdeau for a wide open net. Same game he always plays but with some fortunate results. In the third period he got bailed out by his goaltender after some really shoddy board work and being soft on the puck. You're not going to see some huge transformation from the guy. Give him a season and see what he does, which is likely to be very similar as he performed in Calgary. He's not going to get smarter, or become a better passer, or develop an NHL level shot. He'll be a grinder who plays physical and hopefully creates some space up front for his linemates.
Did Sam sleep with your girlfriend or something?
Old 04-18-2021, 12:09 PM   #753
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Time to get off the soapbox man.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dammage79 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-18-2021, 12:10 PM   #754
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Sigh. Did anyone actually watch the game,
why did you? obsessed much?

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GranteedEV For This Useful Post:
Old 04-18-2021, 12:23 PM   #755
Flames1217
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
Era hates Bennett
Flames1217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 12:28 PM   #756
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
Actually, when there were multiple posts stating what a great game Bennett had, I had to see it for myself. So I used the handy-dandy NHL.tv subscription I have and went and watched it for myself to see this incredible transformation.

When I hear things that sound too good to be true I tend to do the research and validate the level of bull#### associated with the claims. I don't let spreadsheets tell me something that is obviously specious, I let my eyes reveal the truth. So after seeing the claims I thought it best to see what all the hub bub was about. No obsession, just like to be able to reference the facts. Try it sometime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach View Post
Did Sam sleep with your girlfriend or something?
No, but he did #### my mistress (the Calgary Flames) with his incredibly terrible play.

Last edited by Lanny_McDonald; 04-18-2021 at 12:31 PM.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 12:33 PM   #757
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Actually, when there were multiple posts stating what a great game Bennett had, I had to see it for myself.
No, you did not "have to" watch a player on a team that isn't the Flames. You did not "have to" enter this thread either. Because according to you in (probably) this thread, you're only interested in the front of the jersey, and when players leave the Flames, you don't care about them anymore. These are your claims, albeit paraphrased.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GranteedEV For This Useful Post:
Old 04-18-2021, 12:36 PM   #758
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

"Time to accept it and move on!"

*aggressively watches Florida Panthers game to make a point*
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 04-18-2021, 12:46 PM   #759
Redrum
First Line Centre

Exp:

No. He had a good game.
Redrum is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Redrum For This Useful Post:
Old 04-18-2021, 12:50 PM   #760
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

To be clear, I DID watch the game, and I didn't see any particularly amazing plays by Bennett, but he was solid, did play a very physical game, and did create space for his wingers to do what they do best: create offense. I attribute the results to some amount of playing with better players, and some amount of actually doing useful things at center ice. He seemed a little behind the play at times, but I would expect that when you join a new team and have to learn tendencies and the system at the same time.

But like I said, it is one game, and based on that, he fit in very well and did a very good job on the night. To try and say otherwise is to spin a narrative out of predetermination and bias. I think that much is obvious.

I am not definitively saying that Sam all of a sudden "figured things out" or anything, but when the results are there, you have to acknowledge them. I don't have any idea if it will continue or if he'll fall off the map. This is why you don't make any decisions about a player based on only one game. Anyone saying something definitive either way is probably saying something foolish.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post: