Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 04-15-2021, 12:36 PM   #881
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Athletic had a story with anonymous scouts and managers across the league and one brought up justification for the Jones pick that the Shanahan's drafted Cousins because they believed that despite not being flashy or highly regarded like RG3 that he would be a better fit for their offense as he was a good pocket passer. I would not be surprised at all if that's the pick. I think Shanahan values consistency and good decision making over athleticism. Personally I prefer my QB to have near elite arm strength but Rivers had a pretty good career with a below average arm and if Shanahan can get to the Super Bowl with a mediocre QB like Garoppolo then a more consistent passer may be good enough to seal the deal in his QB friendly offense.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 12:42 PM   #882
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

still, it's all about asset-management. Valuing non-flashy, steady QBs is not a bad thing. Drafting Mac Jones, in isolation, is not a bad thing either. Giving up three 1sts to do it is the problem and I still refuse to believe that Lynch would ever agree to do it.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 10:29 AM   #883
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
So if you ever wondered what getting into a fight with Aaron Donald would look like...
As Paul Harvey so often said....the rest of the story.

Quote:
A lawyer representing Los Angeles Rams defensive lineman Aaron Donald says there is video evidence refuting a claim by De'Vincent Spriggs that Donald physically assaulted him outside of a Pittsburgh-area nightclub.

Casey White, an attorney hired by Donald to represent him following allegations levied against him Wednesday, told ESPN that Spriggs swung a bottle at Donald that grazed his head as he ducked, before other people surrounding Donald stepped in.

"As he ducks, somebody from behind grabs him to stop him from interacting from this guy, Mr. Spriggs, so he holds Aaron back in a sense," White said. "At that point, that's when other people come to Aaron's aid and defend him by removing, so to speak, Mr. Spriggs from the area where he is punched and he is fighting, it's a mutual fight at this point between other individuals who Aaron does not really know."

White said that they have obtained five witness accounts and that Donald eventually helped pull people away from Spriggs.

"Aaron actually runs over to his [Mr. Spriggs] aid and starts pulling people off of this guy," White said. "He's trying to get these kids off Spriggs, he gets at least two or three people off of Spriggs and at that point in time, somebody grabs Aaron and says, 'This is not a good situation, let's get the heck out of here.'

"He turned around and it's this Mr. Spriggs, and Mr. Spriggs, and Aaron goes, 'What's up?' and Mr. Spriggs starts yelling belligerently, 'Did I mean to? Did I mean to?' he keeps repeating, it's kind of non-sensical, but he keeps yelling, 'Did I mean to?' It's apparent to Aaron and it's apparent to all the witness that [Spriggs] is intoxicated," White said.

Apparently there is a video of it all as well...which should mean the truth, as usual, lies somewhere in the middle.
Old 04-17-2021, 07:48 AM   #884
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Exp:

Aaaaaaand it was all BS

Quote:
The attorney representing De'Vincent Spriggs, the man who accused Los Angeles Rams defensive lineman Aaron Donald of assault earlier this week, is now offering an apology to Donald on behalf of his client.

Attorney Todd J. Hollis told Pittsburgh television station KDKA on Friday evening that Spriggs mistook his attacker outside a Pittsburgh-area nightclub for Donald.

The apology comes on the same day when an attorney hired by Donald refuted Spriggs' claim that Donald was involved in the assault. Casey White, Donald's attorney, told ESPN on Friday morning that Spriggs swung a bottle at Donald that grazed his head as he ducked, before other people surrounding Donald stepped in.
https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...ker-apologizes
Old 04-18-2021, 06:43 PM   #885
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/w...d-to-consider/

Here's a list of names Washington fans were asked to choose from (Listed in alphabetical order):

Aces
Ambassadors
Anchors
Archers
Armada
Aviators
Beacons
Belters
Brigade
Commanders
Defenders
Demon Cats
First City Football Club (FCFC)
Griffins
Guardians
Icons
Majors
Monarchs
Pilots
Presidents
Razorbacks
Redtails
Redwolves
Red Hogs
Renegades
Riders
Rising
Royals
Rubies
Swifts
Warriors
Washington DC Football Club (DCFC)
Washington Capital City Football Club (CCFC)
Wayfarers
Wild Hogs
32FC (W32)
Football Team

Not a great list. I guess I like Griffins the most. Then Redtails, but the NFL is already full of birds. Falcons, Seahawks, Eagles, Cardinals, Ravens.

Redtail is also a plane (not just a hawk). I like that more now:
https://www.nbcsports.com/washington...nge-their-name

Quote:
"The Redtails were a unit of black fighter pilots in WWII back when the military was still segregated. Redtails even works with the fight song, just change "braves" to "men."

Last edited by troutman; 04-19-2021 at 12:54 PM.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 04-18-2021, 06:50 PM   #886
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anchors? That just sounds so wrong. Might as well just go with Pylons.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 08:19 PM   #887
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Oh, I like Demon Cats! That will piss the religious off nicely!
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2021, 09:41 AM   #888
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
Oh, I like Demon Cats! That will piss the religious off nicely!
Yeah that one jumped out at me as you could be pretty creative with the official logo. I assume the organization is open to changing their colors to suit? Most of the other names all suck.
Old 04-19-2021, 09:50 AM   #889
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Personally I'm hoping they stick with WFT. I actually kinda grew to like how clean everything was with their jerseys and on field markups.
Old 04-19-2021, 12:36 PM   #890
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Washington Royals is fairly hilarious.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 02:19 PM   #891
KelVarnsen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Alex Smith retires.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...ement-football
KelVarnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 02:23 PM   #892
calumniate
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Washington Revisionists
calumniate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 03:56 PM   #893
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1384170912233136131
Old 04-19-2021, 04:14 PM   #894
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ian Rapoport:

The Dolphins have already made two moves in the NFL Draft and they may not be done yet: Sources say they’ve received calls from teams looking to trade up to No. 6 and it is something they’re considering. Lot of things in play, but Miami could be at it again.
ForeverFlameFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ForeverFlameFan For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2021, 04:40 PM   #895
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
Personally I'm hoping they stick with WFT. I actually kinda grew to like how clean everything was with their jerseys and on field markups.
Why not "Washington Racist Mfkers"?
Old 04-19-2021, 05:38 PM   #896
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Exp:

Quote:
A warrant has been issued for the arrest of Seattle Seahawks defensive end Aldon Smith for an alleged second-degree battery that occurred in the New Orleans area on Saturday evening, St. Bernard Parish District Attorney Perry Nicosia confirmed.

Nicosia said that Smith allegedly choked a victim unconscious during a confrontation that began inside a coffee shop in Chalmette, Louisiana, and that the warrant was signed by the court a day later.

The alleged incident rises to a second-degree battery because the victim was rendered unconscious, according to Nicosia. He said the victim was taken to a hospital but did not have to stay overnight.

According to a wanted bulletin from the St. Bernard Parish sheriff that was shared by WDSU, Smith does not have a local address but has relatives in the New Orleans area. Smith, 31, signed a one-year deal with the Seahawks just two days earlier, on April 15, after resurrecting his career with the Dallas Cowboys in 2020. Details of Smith's one-year deal with Seattle aren't known.

Before his return to the field last season, Smith missed more than four seasons because of an indefinite suspension by the NFL for multiple off-field incidents and violations of the league's substance abuse policy.
Dude has had chance after chance. Some guys just never figure it out.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...arge-louisiana
Old 04-19-2021, 07:01 PM   #897
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Seattle would've been better off re signing Clowney then scraping the bottom of the barrell of available pass rushers.

One problem, the assistant GM who also takes snaps behind center, eats up far too much of the cap for the rest of his team to afford such luxuries.
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 12:05 AM   #898
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

It seems like Washington FC just wanted Red Tails but also wanted the fans to think they made the decision so nobody could complain so they just put a bunch of terrible names with red tails.

I find it hard to believe they actually thought Washington Swifts was a contender.
Old 04-20-2021, 06:34 AM   #899
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by browna View Post
Seattle would've been better off re signing Clowney then scraping the bottom of the barrell of available pass rushers.

One problem, the assistant GM who also takes snaps behind center, eats up far too much of the cap for the rest of his team to afford such luxuries.
I'm surprised the Seahawks signed him given there were whispers out of Dallas that the personal issues were not behind him.
Old 04-20-2021, 07:26 AM   #900
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
It seems like Washington FC just wanted Red Tails but also wanted the fans to think they made the decision so nobody could complain so they just put a bunch of terrible names with red tails.

I find it hard to believe they actually thought Washington Swifts was a contender.
Swifts are another type of bird - they look like Swallows.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote