Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 02-20-2021, 12:09 PM   #1
Traditional_Ale
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Laptop Overheating

I have an MSI Prestige 15 laptop I use for music production and light gaming. All has been great until recently when I have noticed it really heating up, as in the metal chassis is really hot to the touch above the keyboard. Research said that it was likely malware, so I formatted the hd and did a fresh install of Windows 10. After all the updates I reinstalled Fifa21 and Eve Online and am still getting the same problem. After a half-hour to an hour of gaming the computer is really hot. This doesn't happen during music production, which is actually a much heavier load on the CPU.

Before formatting I went through my processes one by one and identified the problems that are not present in this fresh install. My vents are clean and other than a couple of fans I don't think this notebook has any moving parts anyway.

Ironically, 14 years ago when I joined CP I was working in a computer store fixing computers! But this one is eluding me. I did splurge close to 2k on the computer and so I would like it to run as it should.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

So far, this is the oldest I've been.
Traditional_Ale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 01:12 AM   #2
Cliche
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Bios update? Run it in comfort mode?

Install MSI afterburner and make sure the gpu is throttling properly?

concerning thin and lights one of the major ways to keep temperatures down is throttling the processor. The other is throwing more mass and fin area for cooling. Not the product in question but there are videos of users using macbook pros in freezers in order to get "full performance" out of their laptops.

Run it in eco or comfort mode, or have more air flow under the laptop.

The only other consideration would be airflow under the laptop and making sure that any in take vents are free and clear.

If the heating isn't really originating from where GPU/CPU heatsinks are located and the fans connected to them, then I'd be concerned about battery issues.

Maybe not the same
Spoiler!

but shows in "sport mode" that the outer case will hit 51 degrees c, especially in center area.

Otherwise it may be a works as intended situation.
Cliche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 12:51 PM   #3
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traditional_Ale View Post
After all the updates I reinstalled Fifa21 and Eve Online and am still getting the same problem. After a half-hour to an hour of gaming the computer is really hot. This doesn't happen during music production, which is actually a much heavier load on the CPU.
That's because it's your GPU that's getting hot, not the CPU.

If you know how to use MSI Afterburner, you could try undervolting the Nvidia discrete graphics. It'll allow you to run the same clock speeds but at a lower power draw which will reduce heat. https://www.reddit.com/r/Dell/commen...om_throttling/

Last edited by TorqueDog; 02-21-2021 at 12:53 PM.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 08:05 PM   #4
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Are the fans running? Try something like HWMonitor to get an idea of the temperatures and fan states.

Also, I have heard the MSI Dragon software that's pre-installed can be problematic, not sure if that's the case here.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 04:11 PM   #5
Skaloper
First Line Centre

Exp:

I would first see if it's the GPU or CPU that is overheating by running software in behind that can show each.

If it's the CPU look at the Power Options -> Processor Power Management -> Maximum Processor State. By default it's set to 100%, try changing it to 95% to see if the problem goes away. Sure you are going to lose a small amount of performance but if the ventilation in the laptop isn't designed that well it might just solve your problem.
Skaloper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 04:17 PM   #6
Traditional_Ale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thanks for all the replies! CP brain-trust is solid as always. Haven't quite figured it out yet. Will report back if I get stuck.

Old 03-02-2021, 04:17 PM   #7
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

I just picked up a MSI Modern laptop recently. The amount of software added to the computer is insane. These programs almost seem like they're borderline bloatware. I wonder if some of these programs are also contributing to the issues you're running into.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 05:03 PM   #8
Traditional_Ale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skaloper View Post
I would first see if it's the GPU or CPU that is overheating by running software in behind that can show each.

If it's the CPU look at the Power Options -> Processor Power Management -> Maximum Processor State. By default it's set to 100%, try changing it to 95% to see if the problem goes away. Sure you are going to lose a small amount of performance but if the ventilation in the laptop isn't designed that well it might just solve your problem.
This solved it. I started by rolling back to 90 and then have been rolling the game for an hour and while still hot it is a marked improvement. I bring it back just a little more if the game is going to run properly and the temps come down.

Thanks again!

Old 03-02-2021, 05:04 PM   #9
Traditional_Ale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
I just picked up a MSI Modern laptop recently. The amount of software added to the computer is insane. These programs almost seem like they're borderline bloatware. I wonder if some of these programs are also contributing to the issues you're running into.
The factory-reset seems pretty clean. Other than coming with Norton I haven't noticed anything.

Old 03-02-2021, 05:11 PM   #10
psyang
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

One option if you're up for it is to consider a repaste of the gpu and cpu heatsinks. It's likely the original paste has lost its effectiveness and not transferring heat as well to the heatsink.
psyang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 05:27 PM   #11
Traditional_Ale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by psyang View Post
One option if you're up for it is to consider a repaste of the gpu and cpu heatsinks. It's likely the original paste has lost its effectiveness and not transferring heat as well to the heatsink.
I only bought it July last year. Would it break down so badly so fast? It only started after I installed the games.

Old 03-02-2021, 05:40 PM   #12
psyang
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
I only bought it July last year. Would it break down so badly so fast? It only started after I installed the games.
One possibility is if the laptop suffered a bump that dislodged a heatsink. I guess I'm assuming the laptop is running hotter now running the same apps as when you first bought it. If so, it's either:
1) other background apps using up cpu/gpu resources
2) fans need cleaning
3) heatsink/paste
psyang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 05:49 PM   #13
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The factory-reset seems pretty clean. Other than coming with Norton I haven't noticed anything.
I just kinda glanced over it last night while setting up the laptop for the first time. I just recall that the audio settings software looked like nyan cat/seizure Pikachu vs the typical Realtek software settings software being extremely minimalistic. The laptop also gave me options for music/sound creation, video creation and there were options to install another half dozen programs as well.

Quote:
No, it shouldn't break down that easily. I'm guessing either the paste sucked from the get go, there's a mobo issue, or something is causing the GPU/CPU to basically run at load and create heat.

The other issue is design. Basically, it's also possible that the case isn't designed well enough with enough airflow (even at max) where the heat can dissipate fast enough. But if that's the case, everyone would be complaining about the laptop having faulty design.
Old 03-03-2021, 10:48 AM   #14
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

I double checked my MSI laptop last night and by uninstalling several programs, it was a little bit less Nyan cat than my previous memory of dealing with the laptop.

The programs don't help, but I don't think they should cause the overheating.

I think if the design of the cases are the same, you're probably SOL for the heat. The design is one where the heat vents and air intake is in the back and it gets slightly blocked by the screen once the laptop is open.

The heat can't get out fast enough and you can't even get one of those vacuum fans to suck the heat out faster due to the positioning of the vents. I think overall, if only one of your CPU/GPU is at load, the heat displacement is adequate, but if both are at load, then it cannot push it out fast enough.
Old 03-03-2021, 01:38 PM   #15
Traditional_Ale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by psyang View Post
One possibility is if the laptop suffered a bump that dislodged a heatsink. I guess I'm assuming the laptop is running hotter now running the same apps as when you first bought it. If so, it's either:
1) other background apps using up cpu/gpu resources
2) fans need cleaning
3) heatsink/paste
Its had a couple bumps for sure, mostly a slip and a fall on ice while its in my backpack (nice and padded). I've never fallen directly on it, but for sure its taken a bump or two. Hmmmm....