Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 10-20-2020, 09:04 AM   #481
Matty81
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Another bombshell from the glazers and fenway today
https://www.skysports.com/football/n...ked-tournament

Pitching a heavily debt backed European premier league with playoffs instead of a league table to decide it and without that pesky business of having to qualify on merit (permanent membership).

Man the American owners are dead set on destroying the epl and bringing the franchise concept in.

If its just the two of them, I would honestly punt them out of the league and keep competing against the super league with your other 18 teams.. I actually feel bad for their fans and based on the reaction on Twitter a lot of them saying they'd refuse to go to these games and would support a local league team until its over, which is pretty fantastic, respect.

Last edited by Matty81; 10-20-2020 at 09:09 AM.
Matty81 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Matty81 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-20-2020, 09:49 AM   #482
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matty81 View Post
Another bombshell from the glazers and fenway today
https://www.skysports.com/football/n...ked-tournament

Pitching a heavily debt backed European premier league with playoffs instead of a league table to decide it and without that pesky business of having to qualify on merit (permanent membership).

Man the American owners are dead set on destroying the epl and bringing the franchise concept in.

If its just the two of them, I would honestly punt them out of the league and keep competing against the super league with your other 18 teams.. I actually feel bad for their fans and based on the reaction on Twitter a lot of them saying they'd refuse to go to these games and would support a local league team until its over, which is pretty fantastic, respect.
I get why they're proposing it.

The Super-League format has been under discussion for decades.

There is a vast cultural gulf between North American and European sports and it primarily revolves around relegation.

Not just the potential loss of revenue should your team be relegated, but by having competition between your club and relegation-fodder/newly promoted clubs you just make less money for that particular match.

Then theres the assortment of minor tournaments that are less than 'revenue optimal' and finally you run into the fact that you have a handful of governing agencies, The FA, the EPL, FIFA, UEFA, etc who all take their cuts.

So it doesnt surprise me at all that the American ownership groups are entirely on board with this. That being said, I hope they're told to go pound sand.

For a couple of reasons really, first of all I think this is very short-sighted. I love the idea of a Super-League...kind of. I think the novelty would get old in a hurry. Thats part of the charm of the Champions League, you rarely get to see these heavyweights go against each other....what if you saw it week-in and week-out? Oh...Liverpool is playing Bayern Munich? Again? Yawn.

Further...I really like the idea of relegation. I understand that it waters-down the talent pool in a way, but it also creates another element of excitement because there are real, human consequences.

I cheer for Liverpool, but I also love keeping my eye on the relegation battle and usually watch the matches of a newly promoted club just to keep tabs on them. This year its Leeds.

Anyways, I apologize for the Wall-o'-Text but I can understand why they would be all for this, what I dont understand is why they would think anyone else would be...

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 10-20-2020, 10:18 AM   #483
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have to think that at most they'd have 2-3 English teams involved here? (I know this is pointing to Liverpool and United) There's no way they would take all six of the big clubs?
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 10:25 AM   #484
Matty81
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Yeah agreed Locke, also understand the owners self interest, but it's pretty much to the detriment of everyone else.

I think it's success will hinge on the reaction of the other 3 clubs approached in the EPL. Articles say Spurs, City and Chelsea have also been approached but it's MU and Liverpool driving it again.

If the other 3 tell them to take a hike, I would bet that most people would still rather watch the EPL than the breakaway league with 2 EPL clubs and after their big loan runs out, I think the ring fenced league could actually be worse off and the big gamble has a chance of destroying the clubs, especially if phoenix clubs are playing in the english league system. I just don't see them taking the gamble when they already have a golden goose. But if they poach 5 teams would be a tougher battle for the english leagues.

Honestly it's hard not to be mad at americans for trying to push their view of sports into other realms a little... the EPL is the most successful and popular league in the world right now, dominating the global transfer market, it's a bit mystifying that anybody at all would back them in putting their personal wealth preservation over the league itself's stranglehold. Most people don't like the cheezy drafts rewarding failure outside the states when you have a chance to watch a league where success is really meaningful beyond the trophy and merit breeds winning.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Matty81 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-20-2020, 10:29 AM   #485
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
I have to think that at most they'd have 2-3 English teams involved here? (I know this is pointing to Liverpool and United) There's no way they would take all six of the big clubs?
Maybe.

It's all about the TV money and those clubs are among the top 10 in the world when it comes to valuation.

United
Liverpool
City
Chelsea
Arsenal
Spurs

Munich
Dortmund
Schalke

Athletico
Madrid
Barcelona

Juventus
AC Milan
Inter
Roma

PSG
Marseille

That's 18 teams which has been rumoured as the potential size of a league like this...and really they are the biggest in the world based on Revenue/Following. I think it would actually be a huge mistake. The sport is so based on legacy and tradition and I think these clubs would be really hurt by a move like this long term. Domestic leagues + Champions League really is the best of both worlds.
SuperMatt18 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 10:30 AM   #486
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matty81 View Post
Yeah agreed Locke, also understand the owners self interest, but it's pretty much to the detriment of everyone else.

I think it's success will hinge on the reaction of the other 3 clubs approached in the EPL. Articles say Spurs, City and Chelsea have also been approached but it's MU and Liverpool driving it again.

If the other 3 tell them to take a hike, I would bet that most people would still rather watch the EPL than the breakaway league with 2 EPL clubs and after their big loan runs out, I think the ring fenced league could actually be worse off and the big gamble has a chance of destroying the clubs, especially if phoenix clubs are playing in the english league system. I just don't see them taking the gamble when they already have a golden goose. But if they poach 5 teams would be a tougher battle for the english leagues.

Honestly it's hard not to be mad at americans for trying to push their view of sports into other realms a little... the EPL is the most successful and popular league in the world right now, dominating the global transfer market, it's a bit mystifying that anybody at all would back them in putting their personal wealth preservation over the league itself's stranglehold. Most people don't like the cheezy drafts rewarding failure outside the states when you have a chance to watch a league where success is really meaningful beyond the trophy and merit breeds winning.
Spurs = English Business
City = Foreign Oligarchy Money
Chelsea = Foreign Oligarchy Money

Neither of those three entities sees any benefit here other than, maybe, Spurs, but that might be a case of cutting off your nose to spite your face.

The Supporters are important in this game that we love. I wouldnt advise screwing with them.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 10-20-2020, 11:31 AM   #487
Matty81
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

It seems like this time in addition to pissing off the smaller prem clubs they've quickly rallied fans, and some of the other european leagues against them, as La Liga pres came out against it already
https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/54621189

You wonder if Neville's call for an independent regulator over the rules and hierarchy that is independent of the big clubs is going to get some more traction now.
Old 10-20-2020, 02:33 PM   #488
agulati
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ozil left off both the 25 man Europa League and Premier League squad for Arsenal. I mean, its not unexpected, but still news.
agulati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 01:10 PM   #489
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Catching up on the AWB story from this past week

My only take away from it is that 'I dont owe you anything but a safe trip back to London' is an unbelievable thing to text someone
d_phaneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 02:25 PM   #490
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Pretty solid Leeds/Villa game on right now. I have it in the background, and it has about 30 minutes remaining.
Old 10-23-2020, 02:35 PM   #491
J epworth
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ugh why does it have to be Bamford that ends this run for Villa?

Leeds playing extremely good though, thought they would have run out of gas by now but looking stronger as the game goes on
J epworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 07:36 AM   #492
The Big Chill
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

More points dropped for City. It’s looking like this season’s winner isn’t going to need as many points as the last couple seasons.
The Big Chill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 08:10 AM   #493
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Chill View Post
More points dropped for City. It’s looking like this season’s winner isn’t going to need as many points as the last couple seasons.
Kind of makes sense because the last few years were pretty insane with teams not dropping points for long stretches. It just seems a lot more wide open this year, at least for now. Eventually I guess someone goes on a run and kind of breaks away.
Old 10-24-2020, 09:24 AM   #494
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

It’s better when teams drop points and keep things close. I hope it stays tight the entire season.

Also I still think Pep is overrated. He only wins titles when his team is head and shoulders above the rest of the league from a squad perspective.

I don’t think his squads ever really overachieve.
SuperMatt18 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-24-2020, 09:34 AM   #495
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

I guess it depends on what overrated means. If you think he's a very good manager I don't think he's overrated. If you think he's an all-time great well then yeah he's overrated. I think his worst trait is his arrogance, tries too hard to show everyone how smart he is and it constantly backfires. No reason at all Foden shouldn't have started today, playing with Gundogan and Rodri against a bus parking West Ham is just not smart, but if it works he looks like a genius. Doing the obvious thing is boring, even if it works, so he's got to show everyone how smart he is going against the grain.
Old 10-24-2020, 11:12 AM   #496
Matty81
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

To be fair they could have easily won that game if sterling had any finish but you've got to credit hammers for the run they are on... very impressive turn calamity into this for moyes.

Wow watching the current game and how that maguire wrestle wasn't a penalty with some of the stuff var has been calling is crazy. And two mins later they are looking at a little tap on Rashford way more seriously.

Also holy crap fulham could you start the season any worse. If they lose or draw to the baggies next week scott Parker will be the first mgr getting the sack.
Old 10-24-2020, 01:13 PM   #497
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

You have absolutely got to be kidding me with this VAR BS now. Are they just taking the piss now?

Old 10-24-2020, 01:14 PM   #498
Swift
Not Taylor

Exp:

WTF is happening to football these days? That's ridiculous.
Swift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 01:56 PM   #499
The Big Chill
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

More VAR comedy. Fabinho clearly gets the ball there.
The Big Chill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 02:21 PM   #500
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

You've got to be kidding me.