Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-05-2016, 02:30 PM   #181
HotHotHeat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter12 View Post
The Bugatti Veyron is a highly-specialized street car, intended far more as a technological/engineering demonstration than a mass-market car like the Model 3.

Which goes back to my skepticism regarding the hype. It has to make money or at least generate enough capital through pre-sales or projected sales to keep stockholders confidence high.
With your investing knowledge, you must be killing it in the stock market.

The reality is that you have no idea what the cost of building this car is. You keep repeating a loss of $20,000/car as if to suggest the build cost is higher than the sale price, which is not the case. The health of Tesla as a company will ride on the success of the Model 3, and Musk has been very forthcoming about that all along, so who are you kidding here?

The new battery factory Tesla/Panasonic are just finishing will reduce battery costs by 30-50%. That means your 50kW Model 3 battery will cost ~$11,000. Given that the Model 3 has been engineered to cost less, I'm sure they can manage to build the rest for $24,000 or less.

Last edited by HotHotHeat; 04-05-2016 at 02:34 PM.
HotHotHeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 02:30 PM   #182
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Solar City's so-called long-term sustainability is also based on some pretty sketchy financial stuff.

Don't worry, we just have to wait long enough for the revolution.

http://climateerinvest.blogspot.ca/2...buying-up.html
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 02:32 PM   #183
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotHotHeat View Post
With your investing knowledge, you must be killing it in the stock market.

The reality is that you have no idea what the cost of building this car are. You keep repeating $20,000/car as if to suggest the build cost is higher than the sale price, which is not the case. The health of Tesla as a company will ride on the success of the Model 3, and Musk has been very forthcoming about that all along, so who are you kidding here?

The new battery factory Tesla/Panasonic are just finishing will reduce battery costs by 30-50%. That means your 50kW Model 3 battery will cost ~$11,000. Given that the Model 3 has been engineered to cost less, I'm sure they can manage to build the rest for $24,000 or less.
The cost of the car is subsidized through the sale of green energy credits by $20,000. That is public knowledge now. I'm not sure why this is so hard for you to understand.

But you are sure that they can manage to build the rest of the car for $24,000, notwithstanding all of the problems highlighted above. You must be killing it on the stock market.
Old 04-05-2016, 02:39 PM   #184
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Solar City's so-called long-term sustainability is also based on some pretty sketchy financial stuff.

Don't worry, we just have to wait long enough for the revolution.

http://climateerinvest.blogspot.ca/2...buying-up.html
So you're telling me that Solar City is going under? Sweet!!! Free solar cells for me and I will then be able to hook them into a battery system and power my home for nothing!!! Awesome news!!!
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 02:49 PM   #185
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm a little on the fence with Tesla.

I find the technology aspect pretty cool and inherent power and acceleration of electric to be great. I love than an American company is thinking big, and that they are pushing everyone else forward. I admire that they are trying to move away from the dealer model.

On the other hand, I find the interiors to be somewhat bland and of mediocre quality. The over-reliance on touch screen tech to me is a fad, that while may be here to say, is unsafe and makes basic functions needlessly complex. They also still have a lot of teething issues in terms of reliability and profitability as a business.

I also find it funny that all the rich people who used to drive a Prius in the name of the environment are now driving a Tesla. Their carbon footprint would've been lower if they kept the Prius instead of getting another new car. Hell, commuting in any existing car (or you know, public transit!) is better for the environment than buying a new Tesla. But in the end, I don't think its about the environment for most people anyway...

In general though, I think Tesla is here to stay, and a harbinger of the future. It's a car for people who hate driving....which admittedly is a lot of people, and growing by the year. The Tesla is basically the step before we go to full automation in the next few decades...which as a car guy Im not particularly looking forward to.
Table 5 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Table 5 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-05-2016, 02:57 PM   #186
calumniate
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The cost of the car is subsidized through the sale of green energy credits by $20,000. That is public knowledge now. I'm not sure why this is so hard for you to understand.

But you are sure that they can manage to build the rest of the car for $24,000, notwithstanding all of the problems highlighted above. You must be killing it on the stock market.
You think he's concerned about that in any shape or form? Sometimes it's not about turning profit off the hop, as many other companies have shown (tech is a good example). It's more about gaining market share, and they have the market capitalization to do it.

Somehow I think Elon knows what he's doing. As mentioned you keep bringing up the 20k like you have some kind of insider information, and are drawing all kinds of weird conclusions from it. Basically what you're saying is that his investors are stupid.. I find it hard to believe that's the case.
calumniate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 03:39 PM   #187
HotHotHeat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Yes, Tesla gets HEV credits based on cars sold, but it's not tied to cost of production, nor is it making the vehicles more likely to be bought by consumers. It's also something available to any company producing emissions free transportation. So What's your point? If you want to have a discussion about subsides, it should start with Boeing. You seem to be so fundamentally opposed to government provided incentives for emerging technologies that you can't grasp the benefits that development provide.
Old 04-05-2016, 03:53 PM   #188
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

People keep moving the goal-posts here. I get it. You love Tesla cars. It is great that we have a free market and that you can purchase one.
The Following User Says Thank You to peter12 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-12-2016, 09:03 AM   #189
ernie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Tesla had to recall 2700 Model X cars due to a defective third party part that can cause the third row seat to fold over in a crash. They are advising no one sit in the seats until the fix has been made. The problem was found in European crash testing for the release of the car in those markets. It was not observed in the US crash tests but will replace the part.
ernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 09:13 AM   #190
woob
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

A piece from Quartz: We are now witnessing Elon Musk’s slow-motion disruption of the global auto industry
woob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 09:38 AM   #191
HotHotHeat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
People keep moving the goal-posts here. I get it. You love Tesla cars. It is great that we have a free market and that you can purchase one.
Based on your posts in this thread, our free market, it's innovators and Tesla aren't so great.
Old 04-12-2016, 09:57 AM   #192
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

This could seriously change the developed world. Not just the car industry but the fuel industry as well.

Luckily for the fuel industry they'll survive off of late adopters for a long time.
polak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 08:16 PM   #193
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

One has to wonder that strictly looking at Telsa from the manufacturing side, what the bloody hell is so hard about actually ramping up production?

They apparently have deep pockets and buckets of smart people working for them. The lack of batteries can't be that big of a hold back can they?
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 08:26 PM   #194
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ooh. I should invest in Lithium.
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 09:15 AM   #195
Otto-matic
Franchise Player

Exp:

Dang these cars look amazing.

Otto-matic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 11:12 AM   #196
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Gull wing doors are garbage for real world living. Good luck in a crowded parking lot.
polak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 11:24 AM   #197
IGGYRULES
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by polak View Post
Gull wing doors are garbage for real world living. Good luck in a crowded parking lot.
Just for you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5B-411YQ7Do
IGGYRULES is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to IGGYRULES For This Useful Post:
Old 04-14-2016, 11:24 AM   #198
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Looks fine to me.

Link
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 04-14-2016, 11:39 AM   #199
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by polak View Post
They're terrible in crowded and tight situations? Wasn't that the whole point of why they designed them that way? Unless you thought they operated in some other way?

EDIT: Beaten to the punch already.
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 11:50 AM   #200
accord1999
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

What about the people in the front seats?
accord1999 is offline   Reply With Quote