Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-24-2021, 10:22 AM   #4181
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirk diggler View Post
my favourite lack of etiquette is when we are teeing off on the blues for example and guys behind us drive up before we hit and start taking practice swings on the tee box behind us. So awesome.
Loosely related, but it would be nice if groups could find some middle ground when there's just too many tee variances. Earlier this year we got paired up with a husband and wife and they were really nice.

But we played blues, he played tips, she played ladies, and it was actually quite exhausting starting every hole from three different spots and added more time than I thought it would. Every hole was...everyone to tips, wait for shot routine and shot, drive up to blues, wait for two shot routine and two shots, drive up to red tees, wait for shot routine and shot.

By the end of each tee off you're kind of like "whew, that was a lot of movement and short cart drives". Problem is we were no where near good enough to play tips, and to be honest he really ended up being more of a blues skill level than tips, but you don't want to start telling a stranger something like that during a round.

Last edited by jayswin; 05-24-2021 at 10:25 AM.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 11:10 AM   #4182
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
Loosely related, but it would be nice if groups could find some middle ground when there's just too many tee variances. Earlier this year we got paired up with a husband and wife and they were really nice.

But we played blues, he played tips, she played ladies, and it was actually quite exhausting starting every hole from three different spots and added more time than I thought it would. Every hole was...everyone to tips, wait for shot routine and shot, drive up to blues, wait for two shot routine and two shots, drive up to red tees, wait for shot routine and shot.

By the end of each tee off you're kind of like "whew, that was a lot of movement and short cart drives". Problem is we were no where near good enough to play tips, and to be honest he really ended up being more of a blues skill level than tips, but you don't want to start telling a stranger something like that during a round.
I've experienced this before but I never bothered going to the other tee box with the golfers. I would just pull up near my tee and wait at my cart to tee off. Grab my club, tee, ball and shield myself as best as possible in case they hit a bad tee shot. I had zero interest in doing a bunch of extra walking just to watch other players tee off from the tips especially if I don't personally know them.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to calgarygeologist For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2021, 11:49 AM   #4183
psyang
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
I've experienced this before but I never bothered going to the other tee box with the golfers. I would just pull up near my tee and wait at my cart to tee off. Grab my club, tee, ball and shield myself as best as possible in case they hit a bad tee shot. I had zero interest in doing a bunch of extra walking just to watch other players tee off from the tips especially if I don't personally know them.
The other thing I've experienced is, if waiting for the group ahead to clear, the person teeing off from the forward tees may tee off first if they know they can't reach the group (they are often shorter hitters).
psyang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2021, 07:25 PM   #4184
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by psyang View Post
The other thing I've experienced is, if waiting for the group ahead to clear, the person teeing off from the forward tees may tee off first if they know they can't reach the group (they are often shorter hitters).
That one is just plain common sense. My wife and myself do that all the time when we're golfing, she'll often hit first. Only problem (for her) is that she is then in the danger zone of getting hit by my tee shot.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 12:17 PM   #4185
darklord700
First Line Centre

Exp:

The single player experiment will be over in less than a week. June 1 we will be able to golf with our buddies again.
darklord700 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to darklord700 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2021, 05:01 PM   #4186
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

It will be to play golf again with my playing partners next Tuesday. Plus the patio at my course will be opening again also.
Old 05-26-2021, 06:24 PM   #4187
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

I can’t believe they’re waiting another week. But at least it’s nearly over.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 10:11 AM   #4188
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Played McCleery in Vancouver yesterday.
Have been getting in about a round a week this year which was my goal. Still trying to break 100, shot 105.
It's coming though, I can feel it.
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 09:05 PM   #4189
Rutuu
First Line Centre

Exp:

Hmmm...breaking 100.

1. Less penalty shots off the tee - good luck, always hit bombs.
2. Less three putts (google plumb bob technique, or aimpoint) - you'll increase your make % on the short ones, and get closer on the long ones
3. Chipping / Pitching - watch the Mickelson videos on youtube to get the hinge and hold technique going
4. Sand - just get it out and on the green anywhere. Always take a full swing, the follow through distance / width (narrow/short for short ones and vice versa for long) dictates distance.

Keep us updated.
Rutuu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rutuu For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2021, 09:30 PM   #4190
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rutuu View Post
Hmmm...breaking 100.

1. Less penalty shots off the tee - good luck, always hit bombs.
2. Less three putts (google plumb bob technique, or aimpoint) - you'll increase your make % on the short ones, and get closer on the long ones
3. Chipping / Pitching - watch the Mickelson videos on youtube to get the hinge and hold technique going
4. Sand - just get it out and on the green anywhere. Always take a full swing, the follow through distance / width (narrow/short for short ones and vice versa for long) dictates distance.

Keep us updated.
Thanks, good advice.
Penalties off the tee and chipping are definitely my issues right now. Putting and iron game is pretty good.
Have been taking some lessons and trying to fix up those 2 areas, will check out Phil's videos.
Old 05-27-2021, 10:09 PM   #4191
jayswin

Exp:

Getting soft, confident hands around the green was probably the biggest gain for me and the easiest to acquire. Put a ball just off the green anywhere and I used to be a stroke on and two to three putts because of how horrible my short chipping/off the green putting was.

Now I actually feel very happy when I come up short on a green, or go just over/right left.
Old 05-27-2021, 10:11 PM   #4192
jayswin

Exp:

I actually have better results in 20 foot putts that are 10 feet of green and 10 feet of fringe/fairway than actual 20 foot putts on the green, lol.

Not sure why, but I just have a huge knack for putting hard enough to clear all the grass and let it roll perfectly to the hole with it's remaining power.
Old 05-27-2021, 10:14 PM   #4193
jayswin

Exp:

But give me a 50 yard approach? Yikes. Those 30-60 yard iron shots just give me fits. I always get in my head about going too far and end up either

a) screwing up my swing and sculling it over the green/duffing it, or

b) taking too much power off cause psychologically the green is too close and then end up with a stupid 20 yard shot instead of 50.
The Following User Says Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2021, 10:24 PM   #4194
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
But give me a 50 yard approach? Yikes. Those 30-60 yard iron shots just give me fits. I always get in my head about going too far and end up either

b) taking too much power off cause psychologically the green is too close and then end up with a stupid 20 yard shot instead of 50.
My 50 yard shots go 120 yards about 18" off the ground.
Old 05-27-2021, 10:25 PM   #4195
jayswin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post
My 50 yard shots go 120 yards about 18" off the ground.
We must have gone to the same golf school.
Old 05-27-2021, 10:35 PM   #4196
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
We must have gone to the same golf school.
Or this
Old 05-28-2021, 04:28 PM   #4197
jayswin

Exp:

A bad covid case definitely affects golf. I've stopped keeping score two rounds now as my lost muscle mass is making for some wonky, weak swings. I could easily be getting mid 90's and even over 100 with the way things aren't working right now.

It's really incredible how dependant a good golf swing is on familiar muscle mass. I guess that's why Rory McIlroy got so cold after bulking up that one year. He basically had to re-learn golf when his muscles changed.
Old 05-28-2021, 08:47 PM   #4198
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
A bad covid case definitely affects golf. I've stopped keeping score two rounds now as my lost muscle mass is making for some wonky, weak swings. I could easily be getting mid 90's and even over 100 with the way things aren't working right now.

It's really incredible how dependant a good golf swing is on familiar muscle mass. I guess that's why Rory McIlroy got so cold after bulking up that one year. He basically had to re-learn golf when his muscles changed.
My best round ever was when I had covid but symptoms hadn't kicked in yet. Must have found the sweet spot.
Old 05-28-2021, 09:42 PM   #4199
bomber317
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:

I'm in the same boat right now - 50-80 yards.... can't sort it out. Overhit or too short.
bomber317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 11:39 AM   #4200
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Playing River Spirit this afternoon. Cattails and Sprit 9s.

Tags
net5 , punch out , royal boulder , tpc fox hollow