Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Event Forums > COVID-19 Forum

Notices

Old 06-11-2021, 11:54 AM   #6701
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
I did Pfizer for theoretically better resistance to variants and it should counteract the adenovirus immunity problem that AZ seems to have with short duration between doses.

The one drawback is the risk that international travel wonít recognize AZ/Pfizer as fully vaccinated.

The likelihood of this decision impacting your future is pretty low which ever way you decide so itís not worth worrying about. (Though that hasnít stopped me from debating back and forth)
I've heard about this, and I'd be curious if it becomes an actual concern.

My main issue would be travel to the US. Seeing as how they haven't even approved AZ themselves, I'm not sure if taking two shots of AZ will necessarily be better than AZ/Pfizer in terms of being "fully vaccinated".
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 12:10 PM   #6702
Amethyst
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

My main concern about travel is my first dose, which was AZ, if some countries (ie US) don't approve it. Canada's announcement that it will only accept vaccines they've approved makes me wonder if other countries will do the same.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 12:14 PM   #6703
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
I think it was purely speculative based on the wording ... 'the risk that'. Canada isn't the only country that is mixing AZ/Pfizer for first and second doses.
Yeah speculation at this point. Since we donít have travel restrictions rules in place yet if the rule is written by a country that didnít mix doses they may overlook that when wording their rules.

Something like fully vaccinated means 2 weeks following completing the dosing regime recommended by the manufacturer of the vaccine selected.

This would exclude long gap Pfizer and AZ/Pfizer. Essentially I have concerns of people being able to write inclusive legislation especially if they didnít dose mix or do one dose first type interventions in their country. I think it would get solved pretty quickly but if a person really needs to travel to the US without quarantine early in July Iíd probably go AZ/AZ after 8 weeks.

Essentially when you are choosing between two similar products with different small risks that likely donít come into play itís worth discussing them all.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 12:37 PM   #6704
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post

I know this chart doesn't tell the whole story, but it's still something to celebrate. Hopefully we can keep that going up for awhile longer.
Just a random Friday thought -- how much do you think Canada's "success" has to do with the fact that health care is free and largely accessible here, and that there is (generally) trust in the healthcare system? I'll contrast other countries, where GP's may not utilized as widely (due to cost or other reasons), and where there may be a bigger gap in terms of access and acceptance?

I'm sure it has been analyzed by actual experts, but just curious if that might explain some of what we're seeing here...
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 12:39 PM   #6705
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Walked over to the pharmacy that is a 2 minute walk and asked about 2nd dose appointments...was told the soonest was July 7.

Called the pharmacy that's a 5 minute drive away, and got booked in for June 17. I'm...pretty excited about this.
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 12:44 PM   #6706
RogerWilco
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
My main concern about travel is my first dose, which was AZ, if some countries (ie US) don't approve it. Canada's announcement that it will only accept vaccines they've approved makes me wonder if other countries will do the same.
Its not that the US didn't approve AZ, it was never submitted for approval by the manufacturer because the US didn't need it. Fauci has gone on record stating that it is a very good vaccine with a high efficacy. I don't think it is going to be an issue seeing as the majority of the worlds population will probably get AZ due to its price and storage ability. Once the efficacy of the mixing is presented that will probably not be an issue either.
RogerWilco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 12:48 PM   #6707
Julio
First Line Centre

Exp:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/cov...rges-1.6062444

5.3 million between Pfizer and Moderna...next week. Millions more Moderna before the end of the month.

1 million AZ confirmed for last week in June.

Today's numbers, which are coming in big, should be a floor number over the next few weeks. Very exciting...now all we need are 1st dose laggards to come in and push us up over 70% on 12+.
Old 06-11-2021, 12:50 PM   #6708
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvp2003 View Post
Just a random Friday thought -- how much do you think Canada's "success" has to do with the fact that health care is free and largely accessible here, and that there is (generally) trust in the healthcare system? I'll contrast other countries, where GP's may not utilized as widely (due to cost or other reasons), and where there may be a bigger gap in terms of access and acceptance?

I'm sure it has been analyzed by actual experts, but just curious if that might explain some of what we're seeing here...
The main reason is one dose priority if you are comparing to France, Germany and the UK. So we will have to wait until the end to see.

Compared to Israel I think the lack of religious orthodoxy is probably the difference. The US is the wierd politics of vaccine.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 06-11-2021, 01:18 PM   #6709
opendoor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvp2003 View Post
I've heard about this, and I'd be curious if it becomes an actual concern.

My main issue would be travel to the US. Seeing as how they haven't even approved AZ themselves, I'm not sure if taking two shots of AZ will necessarily be better than AZ/Pfizer in terms of being "fully vaccinated".

I'd be surprised if the US ever even bothers to consider vaccination status for visitors, at least for Canadians. And even if they do, I doubt they'll shut out tens of millions of visitors from the UK or other countries that heavily used AZ.
opendoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 01:21 PM   #6710
Canadianman
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I got into the queue as soon as it was announced that April-first-dosers could sign up now.

Getting my second jab in 2 hours at Telus.
Canadianman is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Canadianman For This Useful Post:
Old 06-11-2021, 01:30 PM   #6711
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by opendoor View Post
I'd be surprised if the US ever even bothers to consider vaccination status for visitors, at least for Canadians. And even if they do, I doubt they'll shut out tens of millions of visitors from the UK or other countries that heavily used AZ.
Yeah it is zero issue.
Will see what happens on the 22nd.
You don't need to be vaxed to enter US now, just a negative test prior to boarding. TBH I think you currently need this negative test even if fully vaxed, but I expect that to change on the 22nd.
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 01:41 PM   #6712
pseudoreality
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyguy15 View Post
Dang it! Son is 5 next year.
Yeah, I am in the same boat. My youngest turns 4 in a couple of weeks. She will be turning 5 around the time they approve the vaccine for under 5.

The thing that sucks for me is our isolation and travel rules are based on the entire household being fully vaccinated. So no holidays or seeing the grandparents for my kids again this summer.
pseudoreality is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 01:44 PM   #6713
Derek Sutton
First Line Centre

Exp:

Just got my Pfizer chaser!!
Old 06-11-2021, 01:53 PM   #6714
looooob
Franchise Player

Exp:

380K+ doses nationally prior to AB/BC- if both those provinces hit yesterday's numbers we will have a 500k day
looooob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to looooob For This Useful Post:
Old 06-11-2021, 03:47 PM   #6715
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

My wife and her co-workers all got their shots over the past 3-4 days. They all had Moderna both times. My wife was the only one who didn't call in sick... She did have a day off this week and was tired but not sick.

I'm booked for Sunday for my 2nd Pfizer. I could have chosen yesterday but I didn't want to miss an appointment I had today or miss (again) family photos at the river bottom on Saturday.
Buff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 04:05 PM   #6716
looooob
Franchise Player

Exp:

waiting on Alberta's vaccine numbers ( the rest of the Alberta covid data is reported) 48k will push Canada over 500
looooob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 04:24 PM   #6717
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

If the issue is travel, I honestly think it's probably not going to be a major one. I suspect that most places will be bending over backwards to allow tourists to come and spend their vacation dollars. By denying people vaccinated with vaccines that are prevalent in some countries you're just cutting off an entire population from being able to come and pour cash into your economy, and everyone's economy needs it.

If some destination doesn't accept travelers with AZ, one would think their competitors for your tourism dollar surely will.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 04:43 PM   #6718
Lubicon
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

What is the downside of extending intervals between Phizer shots? My daughter received her first one in May and it's possible she may not be available until September for her second.
Lubicon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 04:59 PM   #6719
curves2000
Scoring Winger

Exp:

For those concerned with the AZ vaccine and travel, I don't it will be an issue. AZ will probably end of being the the most used vaccine in the world for 2021 and if not, probably #2.

Every G7 nation has approved it for use with the exception of the US. The EU as a whole block is relying heavily on it for vaccinations.

The US will most likely approve the vaccine in the coming weeks, the delay is a result of a few different issues and the lack of needing it in the USA. The FDA won't deny the AZ vaccine approval and than have the US donate tens of millions of vaccines to struggling countries. The optics and the politics of that don't look good and there are very very few reasons why it shouldn't get approved.

As for the AZ/ MRNA vaccination combo, I doubt it will be a global concern but there are still lot's of questions to be had with that. The other vaccines, once you have completed the series your considered fully vaccinated. With the mix and match strategy, would you be considered fully vaccinated or do you need a 3rd shot sometime in the fall?

The clinical trails for the mix and match study are small, only a few thousand people and we are learning more. The other vaccine series have had I believe over 2 billion doses completed.
curves2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to curves2000 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-11-2021, 05:14 PM   #6720
Timbo
First Line Centre

Exp:

Tom Baker Center called letting us know that my Wife’s white blood cell count was good so she was able to get her 2nd Moderna shot today.

Very happy.
Timbo is online now   Reply With Quote