Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-27-2008, 12:43 PM   #101
Tron_fdc
In Your MCP

Exp:

EB Games in South trail crossing had 4....actually make that 3!

Next up: GHIII. Apparently just as hard to track down.
Tron_fdc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 12:47 PM   #102
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

So here's a question.

Why in tarnation are there no Wii's available?

I want one, but can't have one, which makes me want one more.

DOES NOT COMPUTE!
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 01:17 PM   #103
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

I still don't understand why after almost 2 yrs they are still so hard to find. You would think someone in Nintendo would figure out there is a market up here in Canada. I know we only have 30 million people but we sure like our gaming.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 01:52 PM   #104
Bobblehead
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbob View Post
I still don't understand why after almost 2 yrs they are still so hard to find. You would think someone in Nintendo would figure out there is a market up here in Canada. I know we only have 30 million people but we sure like our gaming.
I don't think it's just Canada. I've read about people in the US having issues as well; most recently I saw a guy looking for one before Valentines day in the Boston area and having no luck.
—Daniel J. Boorstin, historian, former Librarian of Congress
"But the Senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity"
—WKRP in Cincinatti
Bobblehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 01:55 PM   #105
The Goon
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

For GHIII, try calling the different Rogers Video locations in town. That's where my fiancee found one.
The Goon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 01:58 PM   #106
edn88
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Q. Why in tarnation are there no Wii's available?

A. I want one, but can't have one, which makes me want one more.

It sounds like some EB Games have them today, but I cannot get there soon enough from work, so I am still looking I think.
Old 02-27-2008, 03:06 PM   #107
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

I bought my Wii at EB games like 6 weeks ago on a Friday, so I assume they have thier new shipments available then. Also, Bestbuy gets shipments on Tuesday as well as on Thursday
Old 02-27-2008, 07:03 PM   #108
underGRADFlame
Lives In Fear Of Labelling

Exp:

Picked myself one up at EB in Deerfoot Meadows!!!! Wiiiiii!!!!!!
underGRADFlame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 10:31 PM   #109
FireInTheHole
Scoring Winger

Exp:

A friend of mine picked 2 up at Walmart yesterday... I believe the one by Royal Oak.
FireInTheHole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 02:07 PM   #110
Teh_Bandwagoner
First Line Centre

Exp:

There's always the $79/mo for 12 months rent-to-own option!!!

http://consumerist.com/362349/kellys...is-wii-for-948
Old 02-29-2008, 02:09 PM   #111
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teh_Bandwagoner View Post
There's always the $79/mo for 12 months rent-to-own option!!!

http://consumerist.com/362349/kellys...is-wii-for-948
BOHICA
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 03:03 PM   #112
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is there still a shortage of Wii's after almost a year and a half after its launch? If so, then Nintendo is dropping the ball big time on capitalizing on the opportunity to grab a stranglehold in the console wars.
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 03:38 PM   #113
JimmytheT
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yen Man View Post
Is there still a shortage of Wii's after almost a year and a half after its launch? If so, then Nintendo is dropping the ball big time on capitalizing on the opportunity to grab a stranglehold in the console wars.
Dropping the ball? Its the fastest selling home console ever. Even after getting more manufacturing facilities for production, it is still at capacity. Nintendo expected brisk salse, however I don't even think they expected the demand for its machine to be this high. Your production facilities can only produce so many units.

The Wii has sold more units worldwide in a little over a year than its predecessor did during its lifetime.
JimmytheT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 04:02 PM   #114
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmytheT View Post
Dropping the ball? Its the fastest selling home console ever. Even after getting more manufacturing facilities for production, it is still at capacity. Nintendo expected brisk salse, however I don't even think they expected the demand for its machine to be this high. Your production facilities can only produce so many units.

The Wii has sold more units worldwide in a little over a year than its predecessor did during its lifetime.
Well, maybe I'll be proven wrong, but I still think the Wii has a higher novelty factor than any other console before it. (I don't count handhelds as that's a different market)

Maybe I'm in the minority, but I bought a Wii on February of last year. When I first had it, I played it a ton. As the year went by, I played it less and less. I dunno, maybe it really isn't my cup of tea. But I haven't touched the Wii in the last 4 months.

I'm just thinking once the novelty factor fades away with the console, it won't sell as good afterwards.
Old 02-29-2008, 04:04 PM   #115
Teh_Bandwagoner
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I haven't touched the Wii in the last 4 months.
Three words: No More Heroes!
Old 02-29-2008, 04:04 PM   #116
JohnnyFlame
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Well, maybe I'll be proven wrong, but I still think the Wii has a higher novelty factor than any other console before it. (I don't count handhelds as that's a different market)

Maybe I'm in the minority, but I bought a Wii on February of last year. When I first had it, I played it a ton. As the year went by, I played it less and less. I dunno, maybe it really isn't my cup of tea. But I haven't touched the Wii in the last 4 months.

I'm just thinking once the novelty factor fades away with the console, it won't sell as good afterwards.

Got any games you want to sell?
JohnnyFlame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 04:12 PM   #117
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyFlame View Post
Got any games you want to sell?
Nah, I've never sold any console or any game I've bought, ever since my NES. I've got a ton of old consoles and games sitting in my closet. I dunno, maybe I'm just weird that way. What can I say, I'm a packrat.

Oh, and please don't take my comments as me trashing Nintendo, because I'm not. I think they've been phenomenally successful with the Wii, which I'm happy for them since the N64 and the NGC didn't fare too well. I'm just saying they aren't taking full advantage of the current demand for the console, that's all.
Old 02-29-2008, 04:23 PM   #118
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

I'm kind of in Yen Man's camp . . . I bought one and played the bejesus out of it for two months and haven't touched it (at all) since I last played mario galaxy in the middle of december. I'm actually considering selling the whole package. I sat down today and crunched some numbers regarding how much I've spent on it. That experience pretty much solidified it for me, I've spent way too much on this thing to just have it sitting there gathering dust.

Unlike Yen Man though I don't actually think the novelty will wear thin. It's geared towards a certain type of gamer, and there are tons of them out there. It'll always be a system that the parents can view in a positive light, so that should drive sales until it's death.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 05:18 PM   #119
JimmytheT
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russic View Post
I'm kind of in Yen Man's camp . . . I bought one and played the bejesus out of it for two months and haven't touched it (at all) since I last played mario galaxy in the middle of december. I'm actually considering selling the whole package. I sat down today and crunched some numbers regarding how much I've spent on it. That experience pretty much solidified it for me, I've spent way too much on this thing to just have it sitting there gathering dust.

Unlike Yen Man though I don't actually think the novelty will wear thin. It's geared towards a certain type of gamer, and there are tons of them out there. It'll always be a system that the parents can view in a positive light, so that should drive sales until it's death.
Well if there are no games you see coming out that will get your interest back, then that's probably a good idea for you. I find it hard to believe however, that anyone has had a console system that did not sit for a while at some point during that console's lifetime and "gather dust". Game droughts (based on personal preferences) probably account for time off.

I like it because I still enjoy playing the games I own, plus I take advantage of the virtual console. It helps that I can play it with my wife too, who right now is addicted to Endless Ocean and is hogging the damn thing.
JimmytheT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 05:22 PM   #120
Mccree
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmytheT View Post
I like it because I still enjoy playing the games I own, plus I take advantage of the virtual console. It helps that I can play it with my wife too, who right now is addicted to Endless Ocean and is hogging the damn thing.
Is that a good game? Looks interesting.

Mccree is offline   Reply With Quote