Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-22-2018, 10:21 AM   #2721
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royle9 View Post
6 episodes into MaM 2 and I'm back in the saddle in terms of getting upset and frustrated at the bull#### again. I understand it's designed to tell the story from 1 side but some of the evidence that these convictions still remain to stick on is just absurd.

For those that appreciate this series, there's another on Netflix called "The Staircase" which is similar court trial/evidence driven wrongful imprisonment angle. Watched it a few months ago and felt it was also very good, not exactly the same but very similar.
I know exactly what you mean, I just finished Episode 1 and its exactly that.

The State's case has tons of holes in it and they're using the Dassey Interrogation as a Textbook case of forced confession.

But its all about them covering their own ass.

The Judge doesnt want to overrule law enforcement, the higher court Judges dont want to overrule another Judge, the Attorney General doesnt want to point fingers at the people in their own department, etc, etc and so forth.

I mean, that AG report was brutal.

"Mistakes were made, but they were well within normal and acceptable ranges over the course of their duties."

Holy hell....you'd think this guy killed the family of every member of law enforcement.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 11:02 AM   #2722
J pold
Franchise Player

Exp:

Maniac is fantastic.
J pold is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to J pold For This Useful Post:
Old 10-22-2018, 11:12 AM   #2723
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royle9 View Post
6 episodes into MaM 2 and I'm back in the saddle in terms of getting upset and frustrated at the bull#### again. I understand it's designed to tell the story from 1 side but some of the evidence that these convictions still remain to stick on is just absurd.

For those that appreciate this series, there's another on Netflix called "The Staircase" which is similar court trial/evidence .....
I loved the Staircase. Might to add a spoiler or edit ur post because it's not obvious if the person on trial is either convicted or set free.
White Out 403 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 12:23 PM   #2724
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

MaM2 took the high road in not bringing up Kratz's sexual harrassment situation every since time he was on camera.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 12:46 PM   #2725
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

I am not a blue collar comedy fan but the Ron White special Netflix recently put up definitely has its moments.
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SportsJunky For This Useful Post:
Old 10-22-2018, 11:22 PM   #2726
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonBlue View Post
one of the funniest movies I've seen in years!

you do need to have a certain sense of humor to really appreciate it, though.

Certain sense of humor? WWDINS is gold, and if someone doesn't find it at least chuckle worthy then I want nothing to do with them

Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 10-23-2018, 06:34 AM   #2727
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

They’re making a WWDITS tv show in Toronto right now. They’ve got a lot of funny people working on it so I’m looking forward to seeing it. It’ll be on FX..
DownInFlames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 12:33 AM   #2728
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
Avery's lawyer's nose job is the real tragic story in season two of Making a Murderer.

Those nostrils will haunt my dreams.
Seems like a tad unnecessary of a comment...
Wastedyouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 12:42 AM   #2729
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

After reading some articles on The Haunting of Hill House and how people were turning it off halfway through the first episode or how they couldn't sleep for weeks because of how scary it was, I decided to start it tonight and I guess with most things that get hyped up, it didn't live up to expectations. It's okay in terms of horror but it wasn't that scary for me. I love and hate getting scared but it just wasn't there for me. I'll continue watching though, as it was a good episode despite not living up to the hype machine.
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 09:47 AM   #2730
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by activeStick View Post
After reading some articles on The Haunting of Hill House and how people were turning it off halfway through the first episode or how they couldn't sleep for weeks because of how scary it was, I decided to start it tonight and I guess with most things that get hyped up, it didn't live up to expectations. It's okay in terms of horror but it wasn't that scary for me. I love and hate getting scared but it just wasn't there for me. I'll continue watching though, as it was a good episode despite not living up to the hype machine.
Watched the first episode the other day. It was a good setup for the series but that's about it. Nothing frightening IMHO. We'll see how it proceeds.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 09:54 AM   #2731
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

I did the same. Watched the first episode and it was good, but a bit of a slow-burn. We'll see how the rest of it pans out.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 10-24-2018, 09:23 PM   #2732
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just finished MAM Part 2. It absolutely floors me that people who are so accomplished and smart, and who spend decades of their lives dedicated to understanding law, human behaviour, and special circumstance, are so inconceivably naive or purposely stubborn headed when it comes to Brendan Dassey's confession.

I wish we were presented with a broader example of the tape and fuller contrary arguments, but from what's been shown here and in other corners of the internet it just seems like a textbook case of a false confession.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Yamer For This Useful Post:
Old 10-24-2018, 09:30 PM   #2733
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

It also seems like there should be more women judges or some diversity. The comments from the judge in the 7th Appeal Court were pretty bad.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 10:05 AM   #2734
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamer View Post
Just finished MAM Part 2. It absolutely floors me that people who are so accomplished and smart, and who spend decades of their lives dedicated to understanding law, human behaviour, and special circumstance, are so inconceivably naive or purposely stubborn headed when it comes to Brendan Dassey's confession.

I wish we were presented with a broader example of the tape and fuller contrary arguments, but from what's been shown here and in other corners of the internet it just seems like a textbook case of a false confession.
It doesnt even have to be textbook!

Just watch it! As a Human. Watch that tape and watch his reaction when his mother comes in the door.

They totally screwed that kid!

But you're asking a Judge that deals with those Police on a daily basis to overturn something done by his Police force. Its not gonna happen. And thats a travesty.

A layman can watch Dassey's Confession and just think: "I dont believe a word of that."

Especially with the interrogators saying: "We already know, we know, you have to tell us the truth (that we want to hear)."

Those interrogators should be fired and if not then everything they touch should be scrutinized under a microscope. They really should be in a cell instead of Dassey.

The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 10-28-2018, 04:27 PM   #2735
bigtmac19
Franchise Player

Exp:

Started watching Bodyguard, a BBC series with Richard Madden. I’m really enjoying it so far.
bigtmac19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 04:32 PM   #2736
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by J pold View Post
My wife and I don't watch a lot of Netflix but we tried on season 2 of Big Mouth.

What an awful show. Turned it off half way through the first episode. How do people tolerate this garbage?
Somebodies mom had a "Gary"
Old 10-28-2018, 05:39 PM   #2737
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtmac19 View Post
Started watching Bodyguard, a BBC series with Richard Madden. I’m really enjoying it so far.
I blew through it all this weekend. Overall I enjoyed it. The last episode gets a little cartoonish, and if I hear "mum" again I think I might lose it, but it was a pretty good show.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 10-28-2018, 09:20 PM   #2738
bigtmac19
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
I blew through it all this weekend. Overall I enjoyed it. The last episode gets a little cartoonish, and if I hear "mum" again I think I might lose it, but it was a pretty good show.

Agreed the last episode was a bit on the cheesy side.

They are saying Ma’am but the accent makes it sound like Mum.
bigtmac19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 10:55 AM   #2739
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Almost finished Big Mouth season 2 and finding it a big improvement over season 1, which started with 3 great episodes then got a lot weaker, season 2 seems to be solid the whole way through (David Thewlis as the Shame Wizard was a huge addition, haven't seen him since he stole every scene in Fargo). I can easily see how the gross out humor can drive people away, but to me it always felt like they were trying to tackle really taboo subjects in a sincere manner while cracking a lot of jokes.
Matata is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Matata For This Useful Post:
Old 10-29-2018, 01:32 PM   #2740
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Castlevania Season 2 is fantastic and exceeded my expectations. Short season (8 episodes) but worth the wait.
Mazrim is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mazrim For This Useful Post: