Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 07-04-2020, 12:27 AM   #3841
Cliche
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...-cps-1.5637014

Quote:

"Those who take issue with the Calgary Police Service should do so through meaningful dialogue and not deplorable acts of vandalism."
Quote:
The statues of the officer and the firefighter had been spray-painted with multiple colours, and sashes with the words "birthday girl" were attached.
Old 07-04-2020, 12:31 AM   #3842
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

How is this for disgusting.

Quote:
A Black player for Charles City High School heard "several bigoted comments yelled from the crowd" during a game played at Waverly-Shell Rock High on June 27, according to an online statement from the Charles City Community School district and information from the school district communications director.

The school district didn't name the player. Jeremiah Chapman, who says he's the only Black player on the Charles City High team, told CNN that fans yelled "You should have been George Floyd" and "Get back to the fields."

Chapman said he was even called "Colin" at one point, which he believes was a reference to Colin Kaepernick, the former NFL quarterback widely known for kneeling during the National Anthem in an effort to protest police brutality.

As much as those people deserve to be chastised, one man deserves some praise:

Quote:
Following some of the comments, the umpire asked Chapman if he wanted to pause the game, but Chapman said no because he didn't want to let his teammates down.

"That right there really meant a lot to me," he said. "I didn't expect him (the umpire) to really care as much about it, but he really was ready to take action."
https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/03/us/io...rnd/index.html
Old 07-04-2020, 09:10 AM   #3843
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crown Royal View Post
How is this for disgusting.
Personally, I'm at the point where people who are coming out of the woodwork to tell me that racism doesn't exist annoy me far more than racist people.

After having racist slurs hurled at you for 30 years you get used it. What's new is people going out of their way to reassure me that racism is not a thing that exists. "The president was black, this country literally cannot be racist" is one I heard yesterday.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Acey For This Useful Post:
Old 07-04-2020, 09:29 AM   #3844
Cliche
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

The Following User Says Thank You to Cliche For This Useful Post:
Old 07-04-2020, 10:01 AM   #3845
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acey View Post
Personally, I'm at the point where people who are coming out of the woodwork to tell me that racism doesn't exist annoy me far more than racist people.

After having racist slurs hurled at you for 30 years you get used it. What's new is people going out of their way to reassure me that racism is not a thing that exists. "The president was black, this country literally cannot be racist" is one I heard yesterday.
Yeah, I've heard that one before too.

If someone tells me racism doesn't exist, I tell them to go to dinner with a black man/woman of the opposite sex, so people think you are on a date and if they do they will see it within minutes because there will be at least 5 people eye ####ing you for mixing the whites with the colors.
Old 07-04-2020, 10:02 AM   #3846
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Criminal podcast.

10 officers with rifles to do a search warrant on a minor marijuana dealer. It's really obscene.

https://thisiscriminal.com/episode-1...k-and-announce

Old 07-04-2020, 10:13 AM   #3847
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
If someone tells me racism doesn't exist, I tell them to go to dinner with a black man/woman of the opposite sex, so people think you are on a date and if they do they will see it within minutes because there will be at least 5 people eye ####ing you for mixing the whites with the colors.
The stares are worse anything. When I was younger and it really bothered me, sometimes I just wish people would say something and I could get up and cuss them out and it's likely that at least one white person in the restaurant might be on my side. Like on that show "What Would You Do?"

What actually happens is they just stare and whisper and you can feel it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Acey For This Useful Post:
Old 07-04-2020, 10:15 AM   #3848
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliche View Post
Shannon had me standing up, yelling at my TV agreeing with every single word he said. Love the passion and how he articulated it, we need more people speaking out like this.

We need to keep this on our lips and maybe we keep it in the minds of those who can make change.
The Following User Says Thank You to Crown Royal For This Useful Post:
Old 07-04-2020, 10:21 AM   #3849
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
The stares are worse anything. When I was younger and it really bothered me, sometimes I just wish people would say something and I could get up and cuss them out and it's likely that at least one white person in the restaurant might be on my side. Like on that show "What Would You Do?"

What actually happens is they just stare and whisper and you can feel it.
Yep.

As I mentioned previously, my little sister is light, you can't tell she is biracial, she comes to town and we go for dinner to catch up and these bigots make having a family dinner uncomfortable. We do our best to make them uncomfortable in return though, we talk about it happening, just loud enough for people that it doesn't bother to turn and stare at the bigots.

Also if they happen to be on the path to the washroom, I will throw in a friendly hello as I walk past them just to irk them even more.

But, I'm not even a little petty.
Old 07-04-2020, 10:34 AM   #3850
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

I feel like the NFL is over-compensating for how badly they treated Kaep when all he did was taking a knee. So now you want to play the "black" national anthem? Does that mean the Star Spangled Banner is the white national anthem? It makes no sense. What they should have done is just play the normal anthem, and just said anyone who wants to kneel can feel free. I bet the entire roster of both teams would do it... at least in Week 1.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Acey For This Useful Post:
Old 07-04-2020, 10:39 AM   #3851
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I feel like the NFL is over-compensating for how badly they treated Kaep when all he did was taking a knee. So now you want to play the "black" national anthem? Does that mean the Star Spangled Banner is the white national anthem? It makes no sense. What they should have done is just play the normal anthem, and just said anyone who wants to kneel can feel free. I bet the entire roster of both teams would do it... at least in Week 1.
There is a lot of over-compensating in the wrong direction going on right now (read: platitudes that don't really fix anything and weren't asked for at all).
The Following User Says Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 07-04-2020, 10:54 AM   #3852
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

More vigilante justice against peaceful protestors by Ya'll Qaeda

Edit:tweet removed, likely for violence

https://twitter.com/user/status/1279343116038766594

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PsYcNeT For This Useful Post:
Old 07-04-2020, 10:59 AM   #3853
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

It can’t be “over compensating” when you don’t even address the issue. It’s side stepping the issue with a distraction and making it look like they are making any effort at all. It’s embarrassing.
Old 07-04-2020, 11:14 AM   #3854
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Over-compensating isn't the right word. Let's call this what it is, a red herring.

The NFL doesn't give a flying ####, they just want people to think they do.
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Crown Royal For This Useful Post:
Old 07-04-2020, 01:44 PM   #3855
wittynickname
wittyusertitle

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
There is a lot of over-compensating in the wrong direction going on right now (read: platitudes that don't really fix anything and weren't asked for at all).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
It can’t be “over compensating” when you don’t even address the issue. It’s side stepping the issue with a distraction and making it look like they are making any effort at all. It’s embarrassing.
That's really what it is too. They're removing the Confederate flag, great. Taking racially charged imagery off of products, okay fine. Removing episodes of TV programs where people used blackface (though Im still not sure what Hulu is doing with the Golden Girls episode they removed, that episode actually handled interracial relationships relatively well for a show that's 30 years old).

First of all, none of those things enact real change. They're symbolic. They're easy changes to make. Even the flag you just have to deal with dumb white people complaining about it but oh well.

Systemic change is hard. Changing the way we treat others isn't something we fix with an anthem played before a game. Altering how policing happens is complicated. Changing the way we fund education is complicated. Changing inherent bias in hiring practices will take years and years of consistent work.

Removing a few episodes of a show or changing some packaging is easy. And people love easy.

The problem is that all of these little things get the White People up in arms that people are "snowflakes" that just don't want their feelings hurt. Meanwhile actual people in the Black community don't give a damn about a 30 year old TV show with Betty White in a mud mask, they just want to not fear for their lives every time they see a police car.
Old 07-04-2020, 02:25 PM   #3856
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wittynickname View Post
That's really what it is too. They're removing the Confederate flag, great. Taking racially charged imagery off of products, okay fine. Removing episodes of TV programs where people used blackface (though Im still not sure what Hulu is doing with the Golden Girls episode they removed, that episode actually handled interracial relationships relatively well for a show that's 30 years old).

First of all, none of those things enact real change. They're symbolic. They're easy changes to make. Even the flag you just have to deal with dumb white people complaining about it but oh well.

Systemic change is hard. Changing the way we treat others isn't something we fix with an anthem played before a game. Altering how policing happens is complicated. Changing the way we fund education is complicated. Changing inherent bias in hiring practices will take years and years of consistent work.

Removing a few episodes of a show or changing some packaging is easy. And people love easy.

The problem is that all of these little things get the White People up in arms that people are "snowflakes" that just don't want their feelings hurt. Meanwhile actual people in the Black community don't give a damn about a 30 year old TV show with Betty White in a mud mask, they just want to not fear for their lives every time they see a police car.
On the subject of Blackface, it really doesn't bother me when it's done in a TV show, movie, or play as long as it isn't being done to mock the race.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Crown Royal For This Useful Post:
Old 07-04-2020, 02:29 PM   #3857
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
On the subject of Blackface, it really doesn't bother me when it's done in a TV show, movie, or play as long as it isn't being done to mock the race.
Removing the Dungeons and Dragons episode of Community because Chang dresses up as a dark elf is a bridge too far.

Seriously, like wittynickname said, who is this actually helping?

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Yamer For This Useful Post:
Old 07-04-2020, 02:36 PM   #3858
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamer View Post
Removing the Dungeons and Dragons episode of Community because Chang dresses up as a dark elf is a bridge too far.

Seriously, like wittynickname said, who is this actually helping?
Absolutely. It's all just putting on a show so they can say they did something without actually changing what needs to be changed. I'm tired of companies doing this. You want to make a statement, make sure your employees of color are paid the same as their white counterparts. Make sure your female employees are paid the same as their male counterparts. Look at your management structure and see if it is similar to the demographics in that area, if it's not, investigate why.... etc. Put your money where your mouth is.
Old 07-04-2020, 02:43 PM   #3859
curves2000
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I think a whole host of people and business have gotten a little too cute with a lot of these things and now they are starting to appear as pure BS.

I remember in a previous thread I mentioned something along the lines of empty gestures from businesses, people and organizations and than everybody clapping their hands about all their BS success.

If people really want to change the world and have conversations than there will be some very very interesting conversations to be had. Everybody and I mean everybody may need to have some difficult conversations.

I have always used commercials, specifically bank commercials as an example of the pure BS we are all subjected to. If you paid close attention you would see that a disproportionate amount of the time it's always an interracial couple or group of friends discussing banking needs. It happens way more than it should happen and its happening because some idiot white corporate executive and some hip ad agency think its a "reflection of Canadians" I call BS on that. You wan to show Canadians, let's show the REAL Canada.

Why don't most commercial's show an Asian couple, a black couple, a brown couple, a gay couple? A couple with head and facial coverings? Why are they not showing an immigrant couple with poor English skills?? Why are we usually seeing a white person married to a black or Asian person doing banking? Why not a good looking Aboriginal female dressed in a business suit opening a brokerage account? Do First Nations people not trade and invest in the market? I know I have opened my fair share of trading accounts for them.

Let's see a couple of really rough looking dudes cashing some government chq's at a bank or as clients at whatever business is doing the ad.

How big of an apparatus do we have in Canada across all the levels of government that deal wit Aboriginal issues? What's the total spend annually and what type of performance metrics have they hit? I am sure SOME of the workers who work in government and organizations do some good work, but do most?

I think it was Jody Wilson Raybould who said it best when offered the position of the ever changing name of First Nations, Native, Aboriginal or Indigenous or Indian Affairs. "They wanted me to be the minister of handing out welfare chq's" Classic.

I think if we are going to achieve what a lot of people want to achieve, it's going to get ugly and expensive for a lot of people who are invested in their own jobs, careers and narratives. A lot of people, a lot of white people in power will need to be fired or laid off due to changes and a lack of results.

The Shannon Sharpe video had a great line about feeding people or giving them a pacifier to shut up for the time being. Great example of the BS
The Following User Says Thank You to curves2000 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-04-2020, 02:50 PM   #3860
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by curves2000 View Post
I think a whole host of people and business have gotten a little too cute with a lot of these things and now they are starting to appear as pure BS.

I remember in a previous thread I mentioned something along the lines of empty gestures from businesses, people and organizations and than everybody clapping their hands about all their BS success.

If people really want to change the world and have conversations than there will be some very very interesting conversations to be had. Everybody and I mean everybody may need to have some difficult conversations.

I have always used commercials, specifically bank commercials as an example of the pure BS we are all subjected to. If you paid close attention you would see that a disproportionate amount of the time it's always an interracial couple or group of friends discussing banking needs. It happens way more than it should happen and its happening because some idiot white corporate executive and some hip ad agency think its a "reflection of Canadians" I call BS on that. You wan to show Canadians, let's show the REAL Canada.

Why don't most commercial's show an Asian couple, a black couple, a brown couple, a gay couple? A couple with head and facial coverings? Why are they not showing an immigrant couple with poor English skills?? Why are we usually seeing a white person married to a black or Asian person doing banking? Why not a good looking Aboriginal female dressed in a business suit opening a brokerage account? Do First Nations people not trade and invest in the market? I know I have opened my fair share of trading accounts for them.

Let's see a couple of really rough looking dudes cashing some government chq's at a bank or as clients at whatever business is doing the ad.

How big of an apparatus do we have in Canada across all the levels of government that deal wit Aboriginal issues? What's the total spend annually and what type of performance metrics have they hit? I am sure SOME of the workers who work in government and organizations do some good work, but do most?

I think it was Jody Wilson Raybould who said it best when offered the position of the ever changing name of First Nations, Native, Aboriginal or Indigenous or Indian Affairs. "They wanted me to be the minister of handing out welfare chq's" Classic.

I think if we are going to achieve what a lot of people want to achieve, it's going to get ugly and expensive for a lot of people who are invested in their own jobs, careers and narratives. A lot of people, a lot of white people in power will need to be fired or laid off due to changes and a lack of results.

The Shannon Sharpe video had a great line about feeding people or giving them a pacifier to shut up for the time being. Great example of the BS
The only thing I disagree with is having someone with poor English skills, because you are trying to sell a product to mostly English speaking people and it is often hard to communicate what is needed with poor English.
Closed Thread