Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-17-2020, 10:42 AM   #1181
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
Putting 100+ hours into Witcher III

Spoiler!
I put over 200 hours into AC: Odyssey. When you get that many hours out of a game it definitely makes you feel like you got way more than your money's worth.
Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Inferno For This Useful Post:
Old 12-17-2020, 11:44 AM   #1182
Max Cow Disease
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

For controllers, I find both to be excellent. The last generation was essentially an exercise in Sony finally closing the gap with Microsoft a bit on the design and feel of their controller (coming off of the abhorrent DualShock 3 and its predecessors, which were more Roku remote than game controller), and the Dualsense is certainly their best yet. The haptics, when used correctly, will be a great addition, and the fattening of the grips was a great refinement for overall comfort.

The new Xbox controller's more boring by comparison, but with it I find that they've essentially achieved what's close to ergonomic perfection with the shape and design. I still prefer its feel in my hands, and if it had the ability to relay some of the feedback that the Dualsense does, it would probably be the perfect controller all around.
Old 12-17-2020, 11:48 AM   #1183
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

When you are looking at strictly PlayStation vs Xbox I don’t think you will go gravely wrong if you went in either direction. I think if you classify yourself as a gamer or hardcore gamer then owning both systems is the way to go.

As a casual gamer I have stuck with the PlayStation but wouldn’t say I am loyal to that brand. Xbox did nothing with the series X to get a casual gamer like me to change but had I had the XBONE and was looking to upgrade I would say the same thing about the PS5. Outside of the 20 free PS4 classics you can download there is not much of a pull. With backwards capability and free upgrades to next gen games on the same console brand it lends for the casual gamer to stick with what they had last gen.

It has only been the last 2 generations where Sony and Microsoft went head to head in the same launch window. In 2013 I was willing to buy whichever I could get as I did not have a preorder and the PS4 was it. For this generation due to how much I enjoyed the PS4 I didn’t even consider switching.
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-17-2020, 01:47 PM   #1184
Since1984
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
I've yet to have a battery issue on long sessions in Warzone or Cold War. Both before and after I turned haptic triggers off, which seems a lot easier than switching consoles just to play it.
Perhaps I got a ####ty controller battery then, I am very disappointed with battery life on my PS5 controller and won't be paying $90 for a new one when I can have longer sessions on my Series X. I am not missing anything by playing on Series X instead of PS5. I actually gain a lot more by having my back paddles on the Elite Series 2 controller whose battery life is pretty amazing.

Also I have found that the Dolby Atmos spatial audio on my A40's perform much better than the 3D audio and pulse headset of the PS5.

Last edited by Since1984; 12-17-2020 at 01:50 PM.
Since1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 03:31 PM   #1185
YYC in LAX
First Line Centre

Exp:

Uh oh. I finally moved my XSX into my basement and it appears my Yamaha RX-V581 receiver 4K receiver can't handle image passthrough? What the hell is that? Googling tells me Yamaha, Denon and some other brand are having this problem.

Am I best to call Microsoft or Yamaha about this? So brutal.

YYC in LAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 04:23 PM   #1186
Max Cow Disease
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Since1984 View Post
Perhaps I got a ####ty controller battery then, I am very disappointed with battery life on my PS5 controller and won't be paying $90 for a new one when I can have longer sessions on my Series X. I am not missing anything by playing on Series X instead of PS5. I actually gain a lot more by having my back paddles on the Elite Series 2 controller whose battery life is pretty amazing.

Also I have found that the Dolby Atmos spatial audio on my A40's perform much better than the 3D audio and pulse headset of the PS5.
This has been a significant factor for me for the last few years, exclusively being a headphone user. PS4 didn't have any software-side surround emulation, and the hardware-side options (like the surround in Astro's mixamps) are often horrid, tinny, and artificial-sounding. PS5 has introduced the proprietary Tempest 3D engine, but I find that it too tends to sound very claustrophobic, distorting of bass, and a bit too similar to solutions like Astro's (perhaps first party titles that are engineered with it in mind will do a bit better).

On the Xbox side, Sonic (available for free) and Atmos have been available for a while now, and I find that both are pretty good, and preserve a more natural "stereo-like" quality to the audio with more directionality. DTS for headphones is also available now (and is currently on sale for 19 bucks) and is perhaps the best of the three.

I like straight stereo sometimes for the purest experience, but it's nice to have the options.
Old 12-17-2020, 04:31 PM   #1187
Rhettzky
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Since1984 View Post
Like others have said before, this gen is a great one to own both.
I couldn't disagree more on the controller issues you seem to be having. I have been enjoying the controller feel on COD immensely and I play that game a ton, no issues with battery and the triggers feel great. Plus have the pulse 3D headset and it is really amazing. Especially in games like Cyberpunk with enemies on different elevations and platforms. Couldn't be happier with it and am loving the immersion. But honestly not surprised you seem to be crapping on both of them given your history in this thread of constantly dumping on playstation. Kind of reminds me about this other poster in the last gen who was an xbox fan and claimed that he hated some playstation game but was outed for never actually playing it at all. I'll never understand why someone would feel the need to constantly post hate on one brand like that.

Anyway, on your point above, I dont see any need to own them both right now. There are no games. Own one system for the next gen improvements, but there's no reason to own both.
Old 12-17-2020, 05:51 PM   #1188
Since1984
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhettzky View Post
I couldn't disagree more on the controller issues you seem to be having. I have been enjoying the controller feel on COD immensely and I play that game a ton, no issues with battery and the triggers feel great. Plus have the pulse 3D headset and it is really amazing. Especially in games like Cyberpunk with enemies on different elevations and platforms. Couldn't be happier with it and am loving the immersion. But honestly not surprised you seem to be crapping on both of them given your history in this thread of constantly dumping on playstation. Kind of reminds me about this other poster in the last gen who was an xbox fan and claimed that he hated some playstation game but was outed for never actually playing it at all. I'll never understand why someone would feel the need to constantly post hate on one brand like that.

Anyway, on your point above, I dont see any need to own them both right now. There are no games. Own one system for the next gen improvements, but there's no reason to own both.
Everything I have said is personal preference and is going off my current feelings towards both consoles. The Sony 3D audio is probably awesome to someone who hasn't had a great solution in the past. For me and my personal preference it is not worth the money and plays second fiddle to the options on the Series X.

I'm happy you are enjoying the pure audio and controller, it doesn't make you wrong. Like I said, perhaps I got a ####ty controller or battery pack in mine but it doesn't offer anything that blows me away.

My stance in this thread was to offer a voice that lacked representation. So much support on one side and slim to none on the other. I consistently pointed out the differences between the two systems. Yes, many of my posts had a negative skew on much of the PS5 hype but that's because things that were interesting/important to me were being fumbled by Sony.

We are all entitled to our opinions on these things. And as for owning both, it's still a great option this gen. I get to play the PS5 exclusives and Xbox game pass i and it's awesome!

Last edited by Since1984; 12-17-2020 at 05:53 PM.
Old 12-17-2020, 05:55 PM   #1189
Since1984
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYC in LAX View Post
Uh oh. I finally moved my XSX into my basement and it appears my Yamaha RX-V581 receiver 4K receiver can't handle image passthrough? What the hell is that? Googling tells me Yamaha, Denon and some other brand are having this problem.

It's a problem on the HDMI chipset on those receivers. It is hardware so you will have to reach out Yamaha.

Last edited by Since1984; 12-17-2020 at 05:59 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Since1984 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-18-2020, 06:00 PM   #1190
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYC in LAX View Post

My Pioneer receiver wasn't doing 4K pass through either although it says it is supposed to be capable of it. I assumed it was possibly an HDMI cable issue as I read a few people mentioning that as the culprit but I didn't have any other cables readily available to do any testing with.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to calgarygeologist For This Useful Post:
Old 12-18-2020, 06:06 PM   #1191
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Maybe it’s just learning new muscle memory but I think the touch pad might be too close to the square button. I’ve found myself hitting that touchpad a lot in games where you have to quickly hit square (like in Immortals to dodge)
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2020, 03:25 PM   #1192
jar_e
Franchise Player

Exp:

Costco.ca has the dual sense charging station in stock if it’s still a rarity.
jar_e is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jar_e For This Useful Post:
Old 12-22-2020, 12:57 AM   #1193
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jar_e View Post
Costco.ca has the dual sense charging station in stock if it’s still a rarity.
Apparently it still is, because it's sold out again
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 12-22-2020, 09:35 AM   #1194
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
Apparently it still is, because it's sold out again
Up at Ebgames right now.
chemgear is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chemgear For This Useful Post:
Old 12-22-2020, 10:15 AM   #1195
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post
Up at Ebgames right now.
Thanks, snagged one

EDIT: Nevermind. Tried twice to buy them, got order confirmations each time, but then 5 minutes after that another email stating the order has been cancelled. Looks like someone forgot to update the website

Last edited by Hemi-Cuda; 12-22-2020 at 11:08 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 12-22-2020, 11:34 AM   #1196
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Thanks, snagged one

EDIT: Nevermind. Tried twice to buy them, got order confirmations each time, but then 5 minutes after that another email stating the order has been cancelled. Looks like someone forgot to update the website
Ahh poop, sorry about that.
Old 12-22-2020, 03:27 PM   #1197
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Thanks, snagged one

https://www.toysrus.ca/en/PlayStatio.../84B67A25.html
Old 12-22-2020, 05:53 PM   #1198
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post
Not available in-store, and they want $11 for shipping. I'll wait
Old 12-22-2020, 06:03 PM   #1199
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
and they want $11 for shipping. I'll wait
Yeah, that turned me off too. I think I'm just going to wait for it to get back in stock on Amazon for a non-scalper price so I can use some gift card money.
Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 06:13 PM   #1200
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sorry, the Source work free shipping?

https://www.thesource.ca/en-ca/gamin...3902d80a1c0e12

EDIT: bah, 6.99. Gotta at $10 more.