Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-24-2022, 08:59 PM   #5541
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's been a long time since I've watched a whole movie at home with family. My mom is in town, and I got her, my kids and my wife all together to watch Glass Onion and the format worked great for a multi-generation group viewing. I think I prefer the first movie, but this was a very fun follow up.
nfotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nfotiu For This Useful Post:
Old 12-24-2022, 09:22 PM   #5542
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Also, I have to add this...

Edward Norton is incredible at playing an #######. Shades of his character from Rounders. I wonder if he's heard the rumblings about his persona on set and is playing into that a little. He's having just as much fun with his character as anyone.

Also, Daniel Craig must love these movies. He gets to do so much stuff that his alter personas would never do. Plus, I want to know who his stylist is. It's literally from another era.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2022, 09:55 PM   #5543
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Ya I thoroughly enjoyed Glass Onion. Felt like they really turned up the wackiness and oddball characters. I think it was better than the first one, at least until the end when it got a bit silly, but was still very good overall. I would not be upset if they made more of these. The references to Clue and other murder mysteries were intentional and a nice nod to the genre. Did a great job of walking that line of playing ode to other murder mysteries, while going it’s own way.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 12-24-2022, 11:54 PM   #5544
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by brocoli View Post
I went and saw Violent Night last night. I must say, it really put me in the Christmas spirit. However cheesy it may be at points, the action sequences are great and well shot. The humour had me laughing out loud constantly. I don't know how rewatchable it will be, but I was pleasantly surprised for a first watch.
it was shockingly kind of good

I liked the R rated home alone sequence

there was something about a savage Santa that put me in the festive mood too, in a way that new holiday films rarely do for me

Last edited by TrentCrimmIndependent; 12-24-2022 at 11:56 PM.
TrentCrimmIndependent is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TrentCrimmIndependent For This Useful Post:
Old 12-25-2022, 12:45 AM   #5545
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfotiu View Post
It's been a long time since I've watched a whole movie at home with family. My mom is in town, and I got her, my kids and my wife all together to watch Glass Onion and the format worked great for a multi-generation group viewing. I think I prefer the first movie, but this was a very fun follow up.

I enjoyed it as well. I loved the first one, and I'd say this was just as fun.
direwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2022, 06:28 PM   #5546
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Watched Everything Everywhere All At Once, it just might be the all-time masterpiece of juggling emotional storytelling with absurdist comedy

Spoiler!
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 12-25-2022, 07:45 PM   #5547
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
Edward Norton is incredible at playing an #######. Shades of his character from Rounders. I wonder if he's heard the rumblings about his persona on set and is playing into that a little. He's having just as much fun with his character as anyone.
I think he has to know his reputation, and definitely picks roles where he can lean into it. His role in Birdman for instance also leaned super-hard into his reputation as a controlling, argumentative ######.
timun is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to timun For This Useful Post:
Old 12-25-2022, 11:51 PM   #5548
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

The new Christmas Story sequel was much better than I expected. Very similar in tone to the original with plenty of heart, comedy, nostalgia, and a pretty good story that ties in beautifully to the first film.

It was fun seeing some of the original actors come back as well, especially Peter Billingsley who puts in a terrific performance. Looks like they filmed in a lot of the same locations as well.
direwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to direwolf For This Useful Post:
Old 12-26-2022, 09:45 AM   #5549
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

We enjoyed it as well and the original is my favourite Christmas movie.

My only wish, was that they could have filmed it to look like it was from the 70s. Not in terms of set design and costume because they did that well enough. But the actual film. Definitely would have been more expensive to make.

We watched the original last night and it felt like looking into the past, whereas the new one filmed digitally and looked like it.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2022, 11:05 PM   #5550
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was very meh on the first Avatar.

Avatar 2 is 100x better. What a movie. Better, more engaging story/characters, and the visuals are absolutely stunning.
Old 12-27-2022, 10:21 AM   #5551
Machiavelli
Franchise Player

Exp:

Enola Holmes was really great. Millie Bobby Brown did her thing as always, and Henry Cavill was actually a bit charismatic!

Looking forwarded to watching the second one.
Old 12-27-2022, 04:39 PM   #5552
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

I liked the Knives Out sequel even though it felt more contrived than the original. To me.
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2022, 06:52 PM   #5553
Cheese
Franchise Player

Exp:

Watched, Confess Fletch, last night. Really enjoyed it. It's not a masterpiece but comedy is good and the story isn't that bad.

Jon Ham did a great job portraying Fletch.
Cheese is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Cheese For This Useful Post:
Old 12-27-2022, 10:37 PM   #5554
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Cookin View Post
I liked the Knives Out sequel even though it felt more contrived than the original. To me.
Yeah, they really hammed it up. Not that they didn't do that in the first one too but they went a couple rungs higher this time.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2022, 12:21 AM   #5555
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Getting to a few that have been on my list for a long time
All the Presidents Men holds up really well. I love newspaper movies and this one is arguably the best ever (Spotlight gives it a run)
And now I’m on to the Hunger Games series which I’ve never seen. I’m enjoying it so far and was surprised to see Hoffman show up. Apparently he died when filming it. He is such a loss. Even in a movie like this he’s just the best part of any scene he’s in. What a tragedy that we only got him for half a life.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 12-28-2022, 07:26 AM   #5556
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
Getting to a few that have been on my list for a long time
All the Presidents Men holds up really well. I love newspaper movies and this one is arguably the best ever (Spotlight gives it a run)
And now I’m on to the Hunger Games series which I’ve never seen. I’m enjoying it so far and was surprised to see Hoffman show up. Apparently he died when filming it. He is such a loss. Even in a movie like this he’s just the best part of any scene he’s in. What a tragedy that we only got him for half a life.
He steals every second of film time he gets. One of the best.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2022, 07:55 AM   #5557
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

I thought you meant Dustin Hoffman and I was very confused.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 12-28-2022, 09:25 AM   #5558
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

I took the boys to Puss in Boots: The Last Wish and it was great. First and most of all, beautiful and inventive CG animation, worth seeing on the big screen for sure. Probably the best art direction and style in a big budget animated movie since Spiderverse, it is really fantastic. And then the story and characters were also great, some interesting themes. A little teaser at the end for rebooting Shrek. Take your kids, more people need to see it!
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OutOfTheCube For This Useful Post:
Old 12-28-2022, 10:24 AM   #5559
sketchyt
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
was surprised to see Hoffman show up. Apparently he died when filming it. He is such a loss. Even in a movie like this he’s just the best part of any scene he’s in. What a tragedy that we only got him for half a life.
Along Came Polly was obviously not the greatest movie but PSH managed to elevate a mediocre (at best) comedy. The guy absolutely steals every scene and has forever made me want to make the throat clearing noise every single damn time I need to present something in a meeting:

sketchyt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sketchyt For This Useful Post:
Old 12-28-2022, 11:11 AM   #5560
Machiavelli
Franchise Player

Exp:

Much more Henry Cavill in Enola Holmes 2, and I am not complaining