Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-26-2018, 12:59 PM   #421
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

I think Solo was better than TLJ and the first few prequels, which isn't saying much.. but TFA and the rest were a better movie. But I think Solo is closer to the bottom of the next tier than it is to the top of the last tier.. if that makes sense. Like this:

ESB
ANH
R1

ROTJ
ROTS
TFA
Solo

TLJ
AOTC
TPM

I have had Solo on in the background again this morning while I am at home with my boy playing and the part with the Empire attacking the planet was very well done. You don't really even see the enemy they are fighting, just this gruesome get it done at all costs war to serve the overall 'goal' of the Empire. Makes me think there might be a spot for an Empire focused movie following a platoon through some missions.

Last edited by GreenLantern; 09-26-2018 at 01:01 PM.
GreenLantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 02:39 PM   #422
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Watched it last night and was much better than I expected.

TLJ left me so disappointed that I actually cared very little to see Solo, and skipped going to the theatre which I never thought I'd do for a Star Wars movie.

Too bad Solo has been hurt on rating due to TLJ, as it's actually way better of the 2 movies released in close proximity.

Not an amazing movie, but a solid adventure with good acting, characters and a decent plot. About a 7.5/10 for me.
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 05:08 PM   #423
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Didn't like the guy chosen to play young Solo. Other than that, good enough adventure movie. Glad I didn't pay money to see it in the theater. Wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 05:37 PM   #424
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Esb
Anh
Rotj
Solo
R1
Rots
Tfa

Tpm
Tlj
Aotc
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 11:09 PM   #425
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
Are the Star Wars movies even kid/family films anymore? I know my kids have only gone because I dragged them, and I have friends who say the same thing. My kids and their friends never play Star Wars, draw Star Wars characters, or talk about Star Wars. As far as I can see, Star Wars just isn't a thing for 8-12 year olds these days.
The Disney era of Star Wars is a mess when it comes to their target audience. I think they’re trying too hard to please everyone. The corny jokes are clearly for kids and the unnecessary fan service is clearly for the old school fans. The only fan service that’s worked well, IMO, is the Vader scene in Rogue One.
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 12:48 PM   #426
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by N-E-B View Post
The Disney era of Star Wars is a mess when it comes to their target audience. I think they’re trying too hard to please everyone. The corny jokes are clearly for kids and the unnecessary fan service is clearly for the old school fans. The only fan service that’s worked well, IMO, is the Vader scene in Rogue One.
There are some fan service bits like the chess/creature game on the Falcon which work well. Small things that aren't jarring on the delivery and don't feel forced.
Other items clearly feel out of place and forced in where they don't work as you've alluded.
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 12:57 PM   #427
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Fan service is fine as long as it's "easter egg" status and in the background rather than inflicting itself on the viewer going "SEE? SEE? YOU REMEMBER THE OLD MOVIES? SEE HOW THIS REFERENCES THEM?"

Vader in Rogue 1 wasn't fan service, he was a background character in the film that linked it to the movie it leads directly into, in which he is one of the main characters. That whole sequence had a point in terms of the larger story arc, of which Rogue one is a part.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 02:42 PM   #428
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Did you know Han had dice??? Here, look at these DICE! They sure want these dice to be thing.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 02:46 PM   #429
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just watched it, it probably could have used a few more minutes of down time, and maybe 2 fewer action sequences. And a few less double-triple-double crosses. It was getting farcical. Maybe it all makes in the end, but it seemed like they were just throwing stuff out there at the end.

By removing an action sequence and replacing it with some exposition around Han's girlfreind's complete flip flop on him may have helped us understand her motivations.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 10-01-2018, 10:08 AM   #430
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Recently saw this as well. I really liked the first 30 minutes or so. I thought they did a great job of showing what is was like for a conquered and poor community to exist under the Empire.

The movie really lost me at the train scene. It seemed to go on forever and was just a CGI mess.

I agree a lot with what others are saying. The tone of this movie just really wasn't for anyone. Children aren't going to like it. The adults and hardcore fans are going to be lost by all the corny jokes and over the top CGI pieces. I really thought Disney was on the right track with Rogue One and TFA, but then chose to deviate from that path for some reason.

Overall, I'd say this movie was pretty meh. Nowhere near Rogue One, but not as fundamentally flawed as a film as TLJ.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 05:10 PM   #431
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I thought it was great. Maybe I'm the 'no one' that Disney was appealing to.

The cast's chemistry and likeability was outstanding. Favorite droid so far too.

A gritty little space western heist movie that doesn't take itself so seriously. Way easier to enjoy than the ####storm that's happening in the main saga.

Howard did a great job pulling it together.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 10-02-2018, 09:14 AM   #432
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
I thought it was great. Maybe I'm the 'no one' that Disney was appealing to.

The cast's chemistry and likeability was outstanding. Favorite droid so far too.

A gritty little space western heist movie that doesn't take itself so seriously. Way easier to enjoy than the ####storm that's happening in the main saga.

Howard did a great job pulling it together.
I can definitely see how some people like the fun Disney movies. In what way is it "gritty" though? When I think of a gritty western, I think of Clint Eastwood or, for a more modern take, No Country for Old Men.

If you're going to arbitrarily compare Solo to a Western, Solo is far closer to a comedy western than a gritty one. Maybe it's Butch Cassidy?
Old 10-02-2018, 10:53 AM   #433
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Well the war scene was definitely Gritty. Showed us the dirty side of the Empire. I thought that part was so well done. Shows the Empire coming in and pushing the locals around, their whole goal is to install a regime loyal to the Empire, whether that is right or wrong doesn't matter. Just shut up and do what your told.

But ya, I would say this was more along the lines of a Tombstone Western than a gritty classic with Eastwood. Not that Tombstone wasn't an awesome movie, cause it was, but it was a lot cleaner.
Old 10-02-2018, 11:13 AM   #434
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post
Well the war scene was definitely Gritty. Showed us the dirty side of the Empire. I thought that part was so well done. Shows the Empire coming in and pushing the locals around, their whole goal is to install a regime loyal to the Empire, whether that is right or wrong doesn't matter. Just shut up and do what your told.

But ya, I would say this was more along the lines of a Tombstone Western than a gritty classic with Eastwood. Not that Tombstone wasn't an awesome movie, cause it was, but it was a lot cleaner.
Way more Indiana Jones than Tombstone.
Old 10-06-2018, 11:29 AM   #435
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post
I think Solo was better than TLJ and the first few prequels, which isn't saying much.. but TFA and the rest were a better movie. But I think Solo is closer to the bottom of the next tier than it is to the top of the last tier.. if that makes sense. Like this:

ESB
ANH
R1

ROTJ
ROTS
TFA
Solo

TLJ
AOTC
TPM

I have had Solo on in the background again this morning while I am at home with my boy playing and the part with the Empire attacking the planet was very well done. You don't really even see the enemy they are fighting, just this gruesome get it done at all costs war to serve the overall 'goal' of the Empire. Makes me think there might be a spot for an Empire focused movie following a platoon through some missions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
Esb
Anh
Rotj
Solo
R1
Rots
Tfa

Tpm
Tlj
Aotc
Revenge of the Sith was on tv last night. JFC is it ever awful. Maybe not I and II awful but still one of the worst movies of the year awful. First time I’d seen it in at least 10 years. Maybe since release. Although I never bothered to see III in the theatres.

It’s so bad that it’s funny. But in a sad way. We’re talking Geostorm with Gerard Butler awful. Spider-Man 3 awful.

The only way anyone ranks any of the prequels ahead of the original trilogy or the new movies (core or spinoff) is with a seriously hazy memory of the prequels.

It’s kind of shocking that these 3 movies didn’t completely ruin the Star Wars franchise. And in hindsight it’s laughable the reaction TLJ is getting by comparison. It has to just be a product of social media and expectations from other quality Disney franchises. Anyone watching TLJ should react with the relief and emotion of a freed prisoner of war after being subjected to the inhuman torture that is III.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 10-06-2018, 11:35 AM   #436
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah I didn't like The Last Jedi very much but it was still miles ahead of the prequel trilogy. There's more and more prequel apologists these days and I'm not sure why, those movies are just laughably bad. If they had come out in the social media era, they likely would've killed Star Wars entirely.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 11:53 AM   #437
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

The best way to watch the prequels is to watch The Phantom Edit. It tightens up the 3 movies into one, making it a story about Anakin, and his journey. It's far from perfect, but it sure improves everything.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 10-06-2018, 12:13 PM   #438
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
Yeah I didn't like The Last Jedi very much but it was still miles ahead of the prequel trilogy. There's more and more prequel apologists these days and I'm not sure why, those movies are just laughably bad. If they had come out in the social media era, they likely would've killed Star Wars entirely.
I'd still rather watch the prequels. They are lame and make me laugh in the wrong places but TLJ makes me angry.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 02:14 PM   #439
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
Revenge of the Sith was on tv last night. JFC is it ever awful. Maybe not I and II awful but still one of the worst movies of the year awful. First time I’d seen it in at least 10 years. Maybe since release. Although I never bothered to see III in the theatres.

It’s so bad that it’s funny. But in a sad way. We’re talking Geostorm with Gerard Butler awful. Spider-Man 3 awful.

The only way anyone ranks any of the prequels ahead of the original trilogy or the new movies (core or spinoff) is with a seriously hazy memory of the prequels.

It’s kind of shocking that these 3 movies didn’t completely ruin the Star Wars franchise. And in hindsight it’s laughable the reaction TLJ is getting by comparison. It has to just be a product of social media and expectations from other quality Disney franchises. Anyone watching TLJ should react with the relief and emotion of a freed prisoner of war after being subjected to the inhuman torture that is III.
Fair enough, i haven't seen it in probably 6 or 7 years so I am planning to re watch them all soon. Actually there is a marathon on tV right now so i have them taping.

Maybe I remember the parts differently, I think maybe it is TCW that has made me think fonder of some of the characters and just that era in general. I do remember not liking Hayden Christensen in the movies, like at all.

I will revamp those with a recent viewing.

I did just re watch the OT recently and i would revamp it with ROTJ in Tier 1 and above R1.
Old 10-06-2018, 02:21 PM   #440
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

At least it had a lot of high stakes lightsaber fights, Ewan McGreggor and Ian McDiarmid. Probably the few positives I still hold for that film.

Yeah TFA was probably a little better, and should be above it on my list. Up until the poor man's Battle for Yavin 4 remake starring invincible Poe at the end, Abrams did pretty well with it.