Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Back Burner: The Calgary Wranglers and Flames Prospects Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-10-2014, 01:38 PM   #1
Pierre "Monster" McGuire
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default New AHL Rule Changes

Rule 85 (“Overtime”)
  • During the regular season, the sudden-death overtime period will be seven minutes (7:00) in length, preceded by a “dry scrape” of the entire ice surface.
  • Teams will change ends at the start of overtime.
  • Full playing strength will be 4-on-4 until the first whistle following three minutes of play (4:00 remaining), at which time full strength will be reduced to 3-on-3 for the duration of the overtime period.
  • If the game is still tied following overtime, a winner will be determined by a three-player shootout (as opposed to the previous five-player shootout).

Rule 20.4 (“Major Penalties”)

• An automatic game misconduct will be applied to any player who has been assessed two major penalties for fighting or three major penalties for any infraction in the same game.

Rule 9.6 (“Helmets”)
  • A player on the ice whose helmet comes off during play will be assessed a minor penalty unless he immediately (a) exits the playing surface or (b) puts the helmet back on with the chin strap properly fastened.
Pierre "Monster" McGuire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 01:39 PM   #2
Pierre "Monster" McGuire
Franchise Player

Exp:

The third point under the overtime heading is really really interesting to me. Should be fun to watch.

As we all know, the AHL is essentially the testing grounds for NHL rule changes, so we'll get to see how these play out. Should be interesting.
Pierre "Monster" McGuire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 02:43 PM   #3
Drury18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Rule 9.6 (“Helmets”)
  • A player on the ice whose helmet comes off during play will be assessed a minor penalty unless he immediately (a) exits the playing surface or (b) puts the helmet back on with the chin strap properly fastened.

This should be an easy rule for most kids coming into the AHL. Very similar to the CHL rule about helmets/mouth guards.

I believe many European leagues also have this rule.
Drury18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 07:11 PM   #4
TjRhythmic
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre "Monster" McGuire View Post
The third point under the overtime heading is really really interesting to me. Should be fun to watch.

As we all know, the AHL is essentially the testing grounds for NHL rule changes, so we'll get to see how these play out. Should be interesting.
I still don't get it. So they play 7 mins, then scrape the ice, then play another 7 mins with that format. So essentially 14 mins of OT?
TjRhythmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 07:57 PM   #5
steveo
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TjRhythmic View Post
I still don't get it. So they play 7 mins, then scrape the ice, then play another 7 mins with that format. So essentially 14 mins of OT?
they play 3 minutes then first whistle after then play 3 on 3 with time remaining. then shoot out.
steveo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 09:43 PM   #6
MarkGio
First Line Centre

Exp:

I assume the helmet rule is because of the NHL fighters who took each others helmets off?.The fighting rule is to curb goons having multiple fights in a single game.

Damn, the NHL has been very sneaky about slowly getting rid of fighting
MarkGio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 10:57 PM   #7
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkGio View Post
I assume the helmet rule is because of the NHL fighters who took each others helmets off?.The fighting rule is to curb goons having multiple fights in a single game.
Looks like this is only an effort to curb injury from playing without a helmet, not exclusive to fighting.
Acey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 11:16 PM   #8
Drury18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkGio View Post

Damn, the NHL has been very sneaky about slowly getting rid of fighting
As Acey said, it is to curb injury.

This is a rule in almost every junior and European league. I believe even the KHL has this rule. In the CHL, you can't touch the puck if your helmet is off, not done up properly or you are not wearing a mouthguard, instant penalty. They don't want a player going into the corner or getting into the play compromised and getting injured. And that has been at least for the last 15 years because I played with WHL boys when I was 16 (oh man, I'm old ) who constantly fiddled with their helmet to just get in under the helmet rule without having it done up tight or to lift the visor (both of which there are tougher rules now. you can't stuff your helmet to have it sit higher up and lift the visor). It was a fine line between having a "loose" helmet and something that didn't pop off when you got checked and you had to get it back on before you could jump into the play.

It's very similar to the visor rule they implemented last year. This is something that all Major Junior and European players will have been brought up with since they started playing so implementing it now isn't going to be a huge change. I think the NHL is the only organization in the world that doesn't mandate visors for all players.
Drury18 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
adirondack , ahl , helmets , overtime , rules