Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 02-04-2019, 12:59 PM   #1401
Simanium
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
My annual reminder, which you will ignore:

The Pats have a better record against the rest of the NFL than they do against the AFC East.

Exactly. The Pats went 7-0 against the other playoff teams this year. No other playoff team was even close to as good against the best teams in the NFL.
Simanium is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Simanium For This Useful Post:
Old 02-04-2019, 01:11 PM   #1402
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

The Pats have a better record against the rest of the NFL than they do against the AFC East.
Maybe its ignored because it isn't true? (albeit slightly).

Quote:
The Patriots are 71-19 since 2003 in the AFC East. That’s a .788 winning percentage. Outside the division, they are 118-32 (.786).
https://www.nbcsports.com/boston/pat...do-vs-afc-east

Now that was prior to this season. If we add in this past seasons numbers we get:

The Patriots are 76-20 since 2003 in the AFC East. That’s a .792 winning percentage. Outside the division, they are 124-36 (.775).
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Weitz For This Useful Post:
Old 02-04-2019, 01:27 PM   #1403
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Think it proves the point either way. You're not 200-56 over a 16 season period in a salary capped league because of being able to play in an easy division.

A 12-4 season is a big accomplishment for most teams (4-5 teams a year achieve that record or better)...that would be a below average season for the Patriots in the last 16 seasons. (Average season is 12.5 wins and 3.5 losses in that 16 seasons span)

Last edited by SuperMatt18; 02-04-2019 at 01:43 PM.
SuperMatt18 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-05-2019, 06:51 AM   #1404
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Well that's because the Dolphins play them tough but it doesn't change the fact that they have rarely ever had a threat within the division over their reign. The last time an AFC East team finished with more wins than the Patriots is the Dolphins in 2000. The Steelers have had to contend with good Bengals and Ravens teams. The Chiefs have had to contend with good Chargers and Broncos teams over the years. Saints, Falcons, and Panthers. Even the AFC South has had periods where the Colts and Texans or Titans were good. I'm not sure how anyone can debate that it's been beneficial for them to never have to worry about an elite divisional rival. When Mark Sanchez is up with the best QB's you ever have to face in the division you know life has been good.

Last edited by Erick Estrada; 02-05-2019 at 06:53 AM.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 07:25 AM   #1405
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

A tremendous article by Barnwell about how good defensively the Pats were on Sunday. He breaks down how it all happened.

Quote:
What we saw from the Patriots on Sunday night was the best defensive performance we have ever seen in a Super Bowl.

I don't say that as hyperbole. To start, the only other time a team has allowed just three points in the Super Bowl was when the Cowboys defeated the Dolphins 24-3 in 1971. Those Dolphins scored 22.5 points per game during the regular season, while Sean McVay's Rams were up at 32.9 points per contest. The Pats allowed the Rams just 9.1 percent of their scoring average, the best mark in Super Bowl history:

They had to come up with stops drive after drive to win against the Rams, who were the second-best offense in the second-highest scoring season in NFL history. Scoring 13 points against the Rams, as the Patriots did Sunday, would have earned a team a 1-17 record against the Rams in the 2018 season.
Long read but well worth it.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/2...riots-did-rams
Old 02-05-2019, 07:29 AM   #1406
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

But they're in a weak division so it doesn't matter
habernac is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to habernac For This Useful Post:
Old 02-05-2019, 08:05 AM   #1407
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
A tremendous article by Barnwell about how good defensively the Pats were on Sunday. He breaks down how it all happened.

Long read but well worth it.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/2...riots-did-rams
Lol poor Seahawks fans. They deliver by far and unquestionably the greatest defensive performance ever in SB48, but because Jared Goff ####s his pants we're talking about "the greatest defensive performance ever". Reminder: A league average QB performance and the Rams are SB champs right now. I like Barnwell, but he's way off base here. The Giants over the Pats in 2007 is also clearly better. The Giants and Seahawks beat the two best QBs ever, who at the time were commanding the two greatest offenses ever. The Rams had Todd Gurley have fewer than 15 touches. Great performance, but the hyperbole here is a stretch.

Last edited by Senator Clay Davis; 02-05-2019 at 08:08 AM.
Senator Clay Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 08:37 AM   #1408
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
Lol poor Seahawks fans. They deliver by far and unquestionably the greatest defensive performance ever in SB48, but because Jared Goff ####s his pants we're talking about "the greatest defensive performance ever". Reminder: A league average QB performance and the Rams are SB champs right now. I like Barnwell, but he's way off base here. The Giants over the Pats in 2007 is also clearly better. The Giants and Seahawks beat the two best QBs ever, who at the time were commanding the two greatest offenses ever. The Rams had Todd Gurley have fewer than 15 touches. Great performance, but the hyperbole here is a stretch.
This was the biggest coaching mismatch since 2003 where the Bucs knew what plays Gannon was calling at the line of scrimmage because Callahan didn't have the smarts to change their lingo or play calls of the Gruden offense they were running. You do have to credit Belichick but man McVay had a horrible day. We have seen guys like Carol make a really bad play call in the Super Bowl but have we ever seen a coach get schooled in the Super Bowl like McVay did on Sunday?
Old 02-05-2019, 08:45 AM   #1409
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

I mean Belichick outcoached McVay for sure, but McVay was also bizarrely conservative in his game plan. All year we heard about what a creative offensive genius he was, and yet they ran a very generic offense all night. I do think a lot of that is respect and fear of Belichick, and the fact that the game was close likely had him scared of taking any risks, but even when the game was 3-0 his offense was struggling to put a five play drive together. Maybe he should have tried some trick plays just to give them some confidence. I think even he'd tell you he wished he took more chances and that he showed Belichick too much respect. But then he'd also tell you if Goff throws on time twice to Cooks we're talking about a Rams Super Bowl victory and what a genius he was for beating Belichick. Fine lines...

Last edited by Senator Clay Davis; 02-05-2019 at 08:48 AM.
Senator Clay Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 12:28 PM   #1410
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

It is crazy how quickly the league has latched onto the McVay coaching tree with LaFleur and Taylor getting head coach jobs. Three years ago he was not even a household name as the Redskins OC and now teams are scrambling to hire people that worked under him.
Old 02-07-2019, 12:34 PM   #1411
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

I mean I don't even know what could prompt this, but yeah lol

https://twitter.com/user/status/1092848911545520128
Old 02-07-2019, 12:38 PM   #1412
MacDaddy77
First Line Centre

Exp:

^^ Why is Odell Beckham Jr. in Boston starting street fights