Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 06-08-2017, 10:04 PM   #1
ToewsFan
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:
Default Matteo Gennaro: would the Flames sign him?

A good Alberta boy who has exceeded expectations, and was the top player on the WHL Calgary Hitmen last year. Was Winnipeg's 7th Round pick in 2015, but having so many talented forwards in the organization, they did not offer him a contract. Now Gennaro will go back into the draft, unless someone scoops him up. May be worth a look for the Flames...
ToewsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 10:44 PM   #2
Mister Yamoto
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Seems like kind of a dumb rule.

He scored almost all of his goals after December 1st. Maybe he is one of those guys that just all of a sudden got it. He is a very good player but compared to all of the Hitmen I have seen over the years he just doesn't seem like a special player. For example IMO Adam Tambellini > Matteo Gennaro.

He's still eligible as a overager this year? I think I'd rather use a 7th rounder and get his rights for two years then commit a contract spot to him for the next 3 or four years. And probably better options with the 7th rounder. But as someone who has said for years that the Flames should have a Hitmen alumni on the roster at all times..................Yes, I would sign him. He will 100% be cut the day before the Hitmens first game and play the season as an overager though.

Last edited by Mister Yamoto; 06-08-2017 at 10:47 PM.
Mister Yamoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 11:55 PM   #3
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

There was a rumor that the Jets were offering him to anyone in the league for basically nothing (e.g. conditional 7th), no one bit, suggesting no NHL team thinks he is worth a NHL contract. For example the Kings traded a conditional 7th to the Lightning for Bokondji Imama who was about to re-enter the draft the next day.

If he goes undrafted I am sure he will get an AHL deal from some team. If he has multiple offers he will likely choose which ever offer he thinks will get him the best chance at getting a NHL deal down the line.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post: