Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 09-28-2017, 12:47 PM   #41
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Bumface View Post
They just need to get a stadium figured out stat. Nothing has been a better demonstration of how poor venues and atmosphere can affect attendance than Foothills FC.
The Saskatoon bid article above has an interesting point. The bid included a "modular stadium":

"For an 8,200-seat#stadium#with a lot of amenities, such as VIP suites and#rooms#and a lot of other opportunities for fan engagement within the stadium,#we're#looking at a cost of between $16 million and $20 million," said Joe#Belan, a former player on Canada's U-23 national team.

The proposal is based on a modular design concept, and could last up to 25 years.

"It can ultimately be disassembled but has a more permanent look to it," said#Belan.

A similar design has been used in Vancouver by the BC Lions and Vancouver Whitecaps while their home stadium was being renovated.

According to#Belan, soccer is growing in popularity, and a modular design would be able to support this growth — and potential expansion.

Could be an interesting concept for a similar-sized stadium in Calgary. The one in Vancouver was Empire field, which was pretty good when I attended two games there.

I know the Fath Group is looking at upgraded field/stadium options for a 9000-seat location for FC Edmonton. Wonder if they're looking at the same idea.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ozy_Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 09-28-2017, 02:49 PM   #42
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

From what I've heard, the 8-10K modular stadium approach is what the league is pushing for clubs, to ensure the atmosphere at games is not hampered by playing in mostly empty CFL stadiums, with the upfront capital cost of building a permanent stadium.

I think it will be a key factor in the success or lack of success of this league.

shermanator is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to shermanator For This Useful Post:
Old 09-28-2017, 04:51 PM   #43
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shermanator View Post
From what I've heard, the 8-10K modular stadium approach is what the league is pushing for clubs, to ensure the atmosphere at games is not hampered by playing in mostly empty CFL stadiums, with the upfront capital cost of building a permanent stadium.

I think it will be a key factor in the success or lack of success of this league.
This is encouraging to hear. If they can get this part of it right, the league might stand a chance. If the Calgary (insert Western-themed name here) march out on football lines to the echos of a 1/10 full McMahon, the whole thing is dead on arrival. Atmosphere is everything.
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 01:26 PM   #44
MillerTime GFG
First Line Centre

Exp:

I guess I'll put it in here? FC Edmonton folds as of today. Probably has something to do with the CPL.

http://www.fcedmonton.com/news/2017/...-soccer-league
MillerTime GFG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 03:54 PM   #45
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've heard from enough people that FC Edmonton will be one of the initial teams when CPL launches to believe it. Their owner has been going to CPL meetings, and it's really the only place for them to go if they don't completely fold up shop, as they are nowhere close to being in consideration for an MLS club (no city in Canada is even close), and refuse to go to USL.

That said, their owner has said that FC Edmonton will not return if the club is not sustainable. The club has always looked to be on death watch from the moment they launched, but it seemed they were starting to turn things around with the hiring of Jay Ball as GM. So this seems to indicate they may not be in CPL when the league launches.

https://the11.ca/fath-fc-edmonton-wi...e-sustainable/

Quote:
But what it doesn’t mean is that FC Edmonton is a slam-dunk entry into the Canadian Premier League, either. That league is expected to get off the ground in 2019, but Fath said if he is to reactivate the professional part of the franchise, he needs to know things will be different.

“Of all the years we have been in the league, how many times did we sell out?” he asked. (A couple of times.)

So, is there a future for the Eddies? This is how Fath looks at it.

“As for the Canadian Premier League, I love the idea, I think it’s important for Canada. But what we require is it to be sustainable. We need to be sustainable. Whatever we do, it won’t be USL. And the NASL is not sustainable in Edmonton.”

Old 11-24-2017, 04:27 PM   #46
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Umm, the NASL is suing the USSF? What's the coles notes on that one?

I was about to ask why they wouldn't just keep playing until the CPL launches, and then switch, but I suppose the answer lies in my first question.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 09:18 AM   #47
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post

I was about to ask why they wouldn't just keep playing until the CPL launches, and then switch, but I suppose the answer lies in my first question.
They are suing because they lost div 2 status in the US. The nasl says they are not viable without that status. It’s hard to imagine them going very far with that lawsuit with only 5 teams. It doesn’t seem very likely there will be an nasl next season.
nfotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 01:35 PM   #48
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post

I'm not sure there is a coles notes version of the story, but NASL believes USSF is colluding with MLS to ensure that that they could not match Division 1 standards in the US. NASL also believe that MLS and USL are colluding to put them out of business. They believe this to be the case even though they have never fully met Division 2 standards and have been granted exceptions every year since they formed.

The latest news is that USSF and NASL were going to reach a settlement that would allow NASL to remain as a Division 2 league, but NASL believed USSF changed the parameters of the settlement and backed out. NASL was nearly dead last offseason, and is all but dead now. San Francisco won the title this year (with a Canadian head coach and 4 Canadian starters), and promptly folded two days later. North Carolina has moved to USL and FC Edmonton have now left. Puerto Rico are likely to fold due to the hurricane.

http://www.frontrowsoccer.com/2017/1...ment-unravels/

The more I think about the FC Edmonton article I linked yesterday, the more I am convinced they are dead. I've talked with some of the supporters in Edmonton and they believe the same. If the club had announced they were ceasing operations due to the NASL instability, that is one thing. But to have the owner come out and say it's an easy decision to make due to the lack of support in the stands and from corporate Edmonton is a very dire message to give. As for how this would affect the CPL, I think it is a big blow as FC Edmonton were the poster boy for showing that soccer outside of MLS could have a measure of stability, and would have been the most established club in the league. But then again, other supporters have told me they have been assured FC Edmonton will be there when CPL launches, so I don't know.

Also, I've heard more second hand info about a Calgary bid, including more info about their ownership group (which I am sworn to secrecy on who they are, but again it's not the Flames), and that the group wants to build a new modular stadium in Calgary. Also, at their awards dinner last weekend, Calgary Foothills also announced "they would be a part of a big announcement in the spring", so that leads me to believe it is CPL. I'm still trying to get together with Tommy to get more inside info but he's a busy man.

Old 01-10-2018, 08:53 AM   #49
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

The CPL have announced their first commissioner, former Tim Hortons Canada COO David Clanachan.

Also in the article, this quote, which I think is important.

Quote:
Canada’s highly anticipated professional men’s soccer league is set to debut in spring 2019.
http://canpl.ca/article/david-clanac...ssioner-of-cpl

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shermanator For This Useful Post:
Old 01-10-2018, 09:52 AM   #50
Ozy_Flame

Exp:

The article also states new CPL "communities" will be confirmed in the coming weeks.

Want to speculate which teams will be added?

I think Toronto, Saskatoon and Edmonton (pending a more sustainable model) will be confirmed. Hell, the CPL headquarters is in Toronto. And if it's not there, then it's a location in the GTA, or Burlington.
Old 01-10-2018, 09:59 AM   #51
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
The article also states new CPL "communities" will be confirmed in the coming weeks.

Want to speculate which teams will be added?

I think Toronto, Saskatoon and Edmonton (pending a more sustainable model) will be confirmed. Hell, the CPL headquarters is in Toronto. And if it's not there, then it's a location in the GTA, or Burlington.
Here is my semi-educated guess:

- Halifax
- Ottawa
- Saskatoon
- Edmonton (if they can work out their issues with the city)
- Calgary
- York (Toronto)
- Fraser Valley

Old 01-10-2018, 10:17 AM   #52
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Why not Winnipeg or Brandon?
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 10:23 AM   #53
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam_wmh View Post
Why not Winnipeg or Brandon?
Winnipeg and Hamilton have already been announced.

The Following User Says Thank You to shermanator For This Useful Post:
Old 01-10-2018, 10:26 AM   #54
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

London, Quebec?
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 10:47 AM   #55
MillerTime GFG
First Line Centre

Exp:

Obviously early, but has anyone heard what kind of salaries/salary caps/budgets these teams will be working with? Just curious as to whether it's going to be mostly local talent, or if they can bring players in. I imagine it'd be similar to something like the FC Edmonton model, but really don't know.
MillerTime GFG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 11:49 AM   #56
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Also, I've heard more second hand info about a Calgary bid, including more info about their ownership group (which I am sworn to secrecy on who they are, but again it's not the Flames), and that the group wants to build a new modular stadium in Calgary. Also, at their awards dinner last weekend, Calgary Foothills also announced "they would be a part of a big announcement in the spring", so that leads me to believe it is CPL. I'm still trying to get together with Tommy to get more inside info but he's a busy man.
These two things please me. I have long maintained/complained that a team in McMahon would be dead on arrival.

And as much as having the financial backing of the Flames could be seen as an asset, I'm not convinced that they'd be able to sell soccer in Calgary. Without derailing this conversation too much, I'll just say that I'm thankful that the Flames and their current PR/executive setup won't be involved.
Old 01-10-2018, 11:56 AM   #57
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

More information on the league from this article on the CPL commissioner hire: https://www.thespec.com/sports-story...9-SlLA.twitter

Quote:
Other locales likely to have teams ready for 2019 are: Winnipeg, owned by the Winnipeg Blue Bombers of the CFL; the Ottawa Fury, which will play its second season in the American second tier USL in 2018; Halifax; the lower B.C. mainland and Saskatoon.

But the list of serious candidates also includes Kitchener-Waterloo, Calgary, Edmonton, Regina, Quebec City, Moncton, Mississauga and a second GTA franchise in either Vaughan or York Township.

The CPL will have a salary cap and while some players will make into six figures for the season, the average salary is likely to land somewhere between $40,000 and $60,000 per season.

There will also be an "import limit", restricting each team to an as-yet-unannounced number of non-domestic players.

"Most of our players will be Canadians," Beirne told The Spectator, "It's a league by Canadians for Canadians. And it's also a league of supporters for supporters."
The salary cap number floated has been $1.5 million. If people are looking to understand the level of play, I think NASL level is probably the best comparison out there. As a comparison, the San Francisco Deltas, who won NASL last year, had a salary budget of around $1.2 mil USD.

The Following User Says Thank You to shermanator For This Useful Post:
Old 01-10-2018, 11:58 AM   #58
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Stang View Post
These two things please me. I have long maintained/complained that a team in McMahon would be dead on arrival.

And as much as having the financial backing of the Flames could be seen as an asset, I'm not convinced that they'd be able to sell soccer in Calgary. Without derailing this conversation too much, I'll just say that I'm thankful that the Flames and their current PR/executive setup won't be involved.
I can't really say anything specific because I'm sworn to secrecy, but I think when a Calgary club is announced, you will be satisfied on both these fronts.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shermanator For This Useful Post:
Old 01-10-2018, 01:20 PM   #59
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I can't really say anything specific because I'm sworn to secrecy, but I think when a Calgary club is announced, you will be satisfied on both these fronts.
Absolutely. But what you have been able to say/imply is appreciated.
Old 01-10-2018, 03:14 PM   #60
Ozy_Flame

Exp:

My guess is that Calgary Foothills is going to join, which is a step up from the current PDL level of play. This would include new corporate sponsorship, and the promise of converting an existing field to a regulation-sized pitch with 3000-8000 seats.

That is, if Calgary joins. Personally I think Edmonton is better suited to start in 2019 given the existence of Clarke Stadium (pending some upgrades), and even with folding FC Edmonton, the team saw a 63% jump in attendance last year alone. Given the right economics (and corporate support now that we are emerging from a provincial recession), I think this bodes well for an Edmonton franchise.