Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 11-24-2018, 05:43 PM   #41
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfotiu View Post
So it looks like Turner will have just paid Phil out of their own pocket for this as they’ll have made zero revenue on this. Kinda crazy but kudos to them for showing it to everyone instead of no one and taking the hit.
http://www.espn.com/golf/story/_/id/...ch-free-stream
Just curious. Where was the free stream?
Old 11-24-2018, 05:53 PM   #42
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion View Post
Just curious. Where was the free stream?
Bleacher reports website, and they opened up the BR apps on apple tv/roku etc by 3 eastern.
nfotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nfotiu For This Useful Post:
Old 11-25-2018, 09:08 AM   #43
Flabbibulin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wow, cable providers in the US are issuing the refund as well for those that ordered through tv. Havent seen anything about the canadian carriers. Despite the compliments I mentioned on this event, no doubt this will go down as a massive failure. At least Turner can afford it.
Flabbibulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 09:20 AM   #44
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't understand how you can say it was a failure. Just because the paywall on an app didn't work?

They will have learned how many people would be willing to pony up $20 to watch an event like this.
Old 11-25-2018, 01:11 PM   #45
Flabbibulin
Franchise Player

Exp:
Icon56

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post
I don't understand how you can say it was a failure. Just because the paywall on an app didn't work?

They will have learned how many people would be willing to pony up $20 to watch an event like this.
This isnt just me saying this- the event had to overdeliver from the very beginning to overcome the cynicism surrounding the match- yes, avid golf fans are typically a whiney bunch and are going to find issues regardless- that said, an awesome round of matchplay between these two would have brought even the biggest complainer on side. It wasnt that, and the tech glitches just made things worse.

- the quality of golf was simply not good, with few, if any, highlight reel shots. The round was defined more by inexplicable misses than makes.
- the lack of banter, trash talk and genuine moments between the two
- the side bets did not really generate any wow moments.

All that said, I mentioned in a previous post that there were elements of the match that was appealing to me personally. But, I think Im one of the few avid golf watchers that is a big fan of both of them, and even a little bit of an isiders look was going to be ok for me. Im not sure that was enough for most though, and the reviews seem to agree.

Lastly, I acknowledge fully that golf is a very tricky game and there is never a guarantee of quality play. NBA all star games, sure you can bank on delivering some wow stuff. Golf, as we know, is so random even for the best. You just never know what sort of day it is going to be.

Last edited by Flabbibulin; 11-25-2018 at 01:15 PM.
Flabbibulin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flabbibulin For This Useful Post:
Old 11-25-2018, 10:56 PM   #46
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

IDK this always seemed like a ridiculously stupid idea to me

13th and 27th ranked players in world face off on PPV

Its like putting up Oilers Vs. the Islanders for the "Sportsnet cup" on PPV because reasons
Old 11-26-2018, 10:34 AM   #47
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

One on one golf is just weird to begin with. Huge course, too much time between shots, the likelihood that one guy pulls away. They got lucky that they were close, but there's just so much that could make it fail.

Watching golf on TV works because they're constantly switching to someone else taking a shot, then returning for the same players next shots later.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 01:08 PM   #48
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

The old Skins games with Nicklaus/Palmer/etc were fun to watch when I was a kid. It seemed like a better format for this type of thing.
nfotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 02:15 PM   #49
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfotiu View Post
The old Skins games with Nicklaus/Palmer/etc were fun to watch when I was a kid. It seemed like a better format for this type of thing.
Exactly. Of course it was a novelty then too but it was very fun to watch at the outset. And it wasn’t PPV. But getting the four biggest names together for a big money round with some new rules was kind of cool.

If Woods, Lefty, Rory and Spieth played a skins game I might tune in. But these guys are all so superhuman rich now that the interest level wouldn’t be the same.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 02:20 PM   #50
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think had it been each of them putting up millions of their own money as an even money bet that would have drawn more interest. Certainly the pressure level would have been totally different, yeah they did prop bets but those were throwaway bets. If they each had $10 million on the line? Yeah I realize $10 million still isn't much to those two, but psychologically (and especially for Phil) it just would have added so much more edge to the thing. I also agree that with only two guys on the course, you're watching a four hour event and seeing like 10 minutes of actual action. Tough to justify spending, especially when one of the participants has the personality of a door knob.