Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 08-30-2020, 02:47 PM   #4661
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Spoiler thoughts

Spoiler!

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 04:44 AM   #4662
speede5
First Line Centre

Exp:

3 episodes in and I like it, the nostalgia is the glue holding it together though, if it was an original story it would have to be way better.

Daniel always was a bit annoying, even Miyagi wanted to slap him upside the head more often than not. People don't change, haha.
speede5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 08:18 AM   #4663
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Next big fantasy series to be adapted:

Edgar Wright Will Produce The Daevabad Trilogy For Netflix

Quote:
The Daevabad Trilogy is the debut work author S.A. Chakraborty. The series draws inspiration from Islamic folklore. It is set in a world where djinn mix with humans. The djinn of The Daevabad Trilogy have their own city, society, and tribes. They also have an intense hatred for humans who enslave them and force them to commit magical atrocities. The series delves deep into the lore of the djinn, in order to create a fantastical world that is rife for cinematic adaptation. The first two books in the trilogy The City of Brass and Kingdom of Copper are out now. The third book, Empire of Gold is due for release on June 30, 2020.
https://comicyears.com/books/edgar-w...x-adaptations/

troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 09-01-2020, 12:30 PM   #4664
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

We finished Cobra Kai S1 last night. Really enjoying all the 80s flashbacks. The 70s and 80s music is great - Boston, Ratt, REO Speedwagon, etc...

Johnny Lawrence might be one of my favourite characters in anything. Seriously, Billy Zabka is so great in the role.
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SportsJunky For This Useful Post:
Old 09-03-2020, 09:18 AM   #4665
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Gave Cobra Kai a watch based on the recommendations here. Maybe it's because I'm the right age demographic, but it hooked me from the start (despite the somewhat clunky first episode). I'm only at the end of the first season, but so far it's a good entertaining mix of storylines, humorous, and nostalgia.

The random verbal jabs from Jonathan are the best part. Hopefully he sends a few at Danny's fat kid at some point. Man is that kid annoying.
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 09:59 AM   #4666
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Spoiler!

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 09-03-2020, 04:12 PM   #4667
speede5
First Line Centre

Exp:

Finished season 2 of Cobra Kai and looking forward to more. Johnny cracks me up. The show is trying to do a lot and I think they are succeeding, they are trying to make it mature enough for the nostalgic demographic and still appeal to the younger audience. Hard to keep 50 yr olds and 15 year olds engaged.

Might be an odd beef but what's with all the drinking and driving? I expected Johnny to get busted in one of the early episodes so he'd hit rock bottom but no one seems to give a crap at all.
Old 09-03-2020, 04:59 PM   #4668
Pacem
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Based on this thread I started Cobra Kai last night. 6 episodes in and ill be done season 1 before bed tonight.

I am definitely enjoying the show more than I think I should. Its probably filled with terrible acting and or bad story lines. Could be the nostalgia thing or whatever. I don't care, loving it.
Pacem is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pacem For This Useful Post:
Old 09-04-2020, 11:40 AM   #4669
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by speede5 View Post
Finished season 2 of Cobra Kai and looking forward to more. Johnny cracks me up. The show is trying to do a lot and I think they are succeeding, they are trying to make it mature enough for the nostalgic demographic and still appeal to the younger audience. Hard to keep 50 yr olds and 15 year olds engaged.

Might be an odd beef but what's with all the drinking and driving? I expected Johnny to get busted in one of the early episodes so he'd hit rock bottom but no one seems to give a crap at all.
When was the last time you were in California? It surprised me, but didnt shock me.

Chugging Jack Daniels from a paper bag behind the wheel? Just another Monday in Cali.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 06:31 PM   #4670
speede5
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
When was the last time you were in California? It surprised me, but didnt shock me.

Chugging Jack Daniels from a paper bag behind the wheel? Just another Monday in Cali.
Haha, haven't been in California for 20 years,normal or not you would think in this day and age if you're going to do it on screen there should be some indication you don't agree with the practice or some consequences.

It was interesting that the adults don't seem to think twice about it but when Sam got wasted her friend was concerned enough to hope she grabbed an Uber.
Old 09-05-2020, 01:24 AM   #4671
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

BladeRunner: The Final Cut is on netflix. If you have never seen blade runner, if you have only seen the theatrical or director’s cut or if you've already seen the final cut, stop what you are doing and watch this movie. Right meow. That is all.

Last edited by Cecil Terwilliger; 09-05-2020 at 01:27 AM.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 09-06-2020, 12:19 AM   #4672
flylock shox
1 millionth post winnar!

Exp:

Just jumped on the Cobra Kai train tonight.

This is surprisingly good stuff. Going to be my go to when the lady is asleep and I've got a couple of beers in need of attention.
flylock shox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 12:59 AM   #4673
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

I find Cobra Kai interesting because you're taking a bunch of imperfect people and adding in the complete incapacity of communication and seeing where that takes you.

Theres a lot of interesting elements there and, frankly, I think the writers milked this for all it was worth. I dont have a problem with that. They're exploring issues that many of us deal with on a daily basis.

I think the most difficult element to accept was that we have to understand that Johnny is growing up from a 16 year old boy to an adult before our eyes.

From 'The Karate Kid' up to this series it appears that he has experienced absolutely zero emotional or mental growth.

Thats tough to believe, but if thats the deal then fine. But we are shown that he has the ability and willingness to grow and learn.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 09-06-2020, 12:05 PM   #4674
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Season 2 of Cobra Kai is weaker than the first but still enjoyable. Until the finale scene at the school which might have been the stupidest thing I've seen on TV in a while.

Hawk is an annoying character and had too much screen time this season.

Despite the flaws, I'm still looking forward to season 3.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 02:56 PM   #4675
pseudoreality
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
BladeRunner: The Final Cut is on netflix. If you have never seen blade runner, if you have only seen the theatrical or director’s cut or if you've already seen the final cut, stop what you are doing and watch this movie. Right meow. That is all.
What if I have never been able to stay awake through any viewing of Bladerunner?
pseudoreality is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to pseudoreality For This Useful Post:
Old 09-06-2020, 03:58 PM   #4676
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTrain View Post
Season 2 of Cobra Kai is weaker than the first but still enjoyable. Until the finale scene at the school which might have been the stupidest thing I've seen on TV in a while.

Hawk is an annoying character and had too much screen time this season.

Despite the flaws, I'm still looking forward to season 3.
Season 2 felt a little too much like Power Rangers for my tastes. I enjoyed most of it but the kids' fight scenes are very cringey.
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SportsJunky For This Useful Post:
Old 09-06-2020, 04:00 PM   #4677
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudoreality View Post
What if I have never been able to stay awake through any viewing of Bladerunner?
Don’t worry, we always need people to set the baseline for poor taste in movies.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 09-06-2020, 04:12 PM   #4678
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
Don’t worry, we always need people to set the baseline for poor taste in movies.
Hemi-Cuda is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 04:21 PM   #4679
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudoreality View Post
I guess I’m not the only one. Probably the highest boredom-to-hype ratio of any movie I’ve seen.
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Table 5 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-06-2020, 04:38 PM   #4680
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

Anyone who goes into BladeRunner, expecting it to be T2 or Star Wars is gonna have a bad time. But that’s on you.