Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-03-2023, 09:04 AM   #21
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

It was so packed I showed up 30 minutes early for Croatia-Chile women's match and still had to park in the Great Mud Pits west of the soccer center. Shoes were absolutely caked walking to the center.

I did get to fling some mud with my truck when we left and my kids enjoyed it so there's that I guess.

What was the Croatia v Canada result? I had to leave because of kids.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2023, 10:07 AM   #22
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillerTime GFG View Post
Should be some really good games today. Final group stage games, and in men’s open, there are 5 groups and of course only 8 quarter finalists. Some of the games today will determine who gets first, and the loser could potentially be eliminated. Games will have really good atmospheres, and I’d recommend the following:
- Poland Vs Afghanistan - 3:00
- Scotland Vs Lebanon - 4:30
- Chile Vs Italy - 6:00 (for those of you that followed the foothills PDL team, Dominic Russo plays for Italy. Long time rival but also buddy of mine)
- Canada Vs Croatia - 7:00

O35:
- Canada Vs Chile - 8:00

Women’s:
- Canada Vs Italy - 5:00. This is a preview of the final that will be on Thursday

The soccer centre will be PACKED today. Should be fun.
I played with Dominic in the Cavalry/Foothills inaugural sponsors tourney. He's a gem. I might've got MVP, after stealing the trophy from Tommy's team on PK's.

Looks like you guys slaughtered the Chileans.
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cam_wmh For This Useful Post:
Old 04-03-2023, 10:44 AM   #23
fleuryisgod
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I think I will check things out tomorrow. Any ideas on what the best time to show up would be?
fleuryisgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2023, 10:47 AM   #24
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleuryisgod View Post
I think I will check things out tomorrow. Any ideas on what the best time to show up would be?
Showing up between matches is probably best parking-wise. But in elimination games the stands will probably be packed so you may need to show up super early and grab a brewski at the lounge before your team plays.
Old 04-03-2023, 11:11 AM   #25
MillerTime GFG
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam_wmh View Post
I played with Dominic in the Cavalry/Foothills inaugural sponsors tourney. He's a gem. I might've got MVP, after stealing the trophy from Tommy's team on PK's.

Looks like you guys slaughtered the Chileans.
Yea…we were expecting to beat them, but not so sure we expected it to be 11-1. We’ve got Mexico in the semis tomorrow, with Scotland and Colombia on the other side.
MillerTime GFG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2023, 11:12 AM   #26
MillerTime GFG
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
It was so packed I showed up 30 minutes early for Croatia-Chile women's match and still had to park in the Great Mud Pits west of the soccer center. Shoes were absolutely caked walking to the center.

I did get to fling some mud with my truck when we left and my kids enjoyed it so there's that I guess.

What was the Croatia v Canada result? I had to leave because of kids.
Croatia was actually up 2-1 at one point, but lost 7-2, so they’re out.
The Following User Says Thank You to MillerTime GFG For This Useful Post:
Old 04-03-2023, 11:14 AM   #27
MillerTime GFG
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
First mens open semi is at 7:00. You’ll likely want to be there 30 mins early at least in order to get a seat.
Old 04-03-2023, 02:32 PM   #28
Mccree
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
First mens open semi is at 7:00. You’ll likely want to be there 30 mins early at least in order to get a seat.
I was an hour early on Thursday and it was already full assuming you wanted to sit, watch and have a beer.

Mccree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2023, 02:46 PM   #29
MillerTime GFG
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mccree View Post
I was an hour early on Thursday and it was already full assuming you wanted to sit, watch and have a beer.
Crazy. Tough to say if it'll be similar for the knockout round, as while they are better games, there are less teams playing, which was part the issue on Sunday. Every team played yesterday.

Could always go nice and early, get a bite at the pub while reserving your table.
Old 04-03-2023, 04:29 PM   #30
fleuryisgod
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Crazy. Tough to say if it'll be similar for the knockout round, as while they are better games, there are less teams playing, which was part the issue on Sunday. Every team played yesterday.

Could always go nice and early, get a bite at the pub while reserving your table.
I've never been to the soccer center before. Was debating getting there right at 5pm when it opens and just grabbing a bite to eat at the pub first. From the pub can we see any of the fields or would we need to relocate after eating? And I assume the pub is the All Beef Catering? Thanks.
fleuryisgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2023, 04:33 PM   #31
Mccree
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
I've never been to the soccer center before. Was debating getting there right at 5pm when it opens and just grabbing a bite to eat at the pub first. From the pub can we see any of the fields or would we need to relocate after eating? And I assume the pub is the All Beef Catering? Thanks.
You can watch the West field if you get a seat outside the pub. You cannot watch inside the pub. Very limited seating outside the pub. For all other fields you cannot watch from the pub at all.

Mccree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mccree For This Useful Post:
Old 04-03-2023, 04:40 PM   #32
MillerTime GFG
First Line Centre

Exp:

^^What Mccree said.

There's probably decent seating capacity for about 50-60 people in the "patio" section of the pub, overlooking the west field. If you get there at 5:00, you should be able to snag a spot. Just be prepared for it to be VERY packed as it gets closer to the game, with little personal space. And likely music/drums etc. But that's all part of the fun.

And yes, it's All Beef Catering. Get the Smash Burger. You're welcome.
Old 04-04-2023, 08:30 AM   #33
MillerTime GFG
First Line Centre

Exp:

Semi-final Tuesday.

Men's Open:
- Afghanistan vs Scotland, 7:00 - West Field
- Poland vs El Salvador, 8:00 - West Field

If Scotland ends up winning the tournament, that will mark two consecutive years in which the country I played for wins the year AFTER I leave. (El Salvador won two years ago, where I played as an import)

Masters (O35):
- Canada vs Mexico - 7:15, East Field
- Scotland vs Colombia - 8:15, East field

Place will be packed again tonight. Poland and ES have likely the two largest followings, so that atmosphere will be bonkers. Should be a fun night.
Old 04-04-2023, 08:36 AM   #34
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

So how do we get these people interested in Cavalry?

shermanator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2023, 08:42 AM   #35
MillerTime GFG
First Line Centre

Exp:

It's a great question. Some Cavs players showed up at the finals last year as PR, so maybe they'll do it again this year. They should really look at tapping into this tournament as some sort of sponsor or something. Ticket giveaways at half maybe?

During knockout stages, there are easily 2,000 people attending every night. Likely more with the multiple games.

It's tough though because most of the fans have real attachment to this tournament because they're cheering for their country of origin. They wouldn't have that with the Cavs.
Old 04-04-2023, 11:24 AM   #36
cheevers
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I feel like Cavalry will forever struggle for consistent crowds while the stadium is where it is. It is a beautiful stadium, I love going, and will always appreciate the owners building it on their own, but it is such a pain to get to that you really do need to plan in advance when going. I decided to give up my season tickets this year due to having a new baby, and how hard it is to get to the stadium.
cheevers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2023, 11:56 AM   #37
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It's a great question. Some Cavs players showed up at the finals last year as PR, so maybe they'll do it again this year. They should really look at tapping into this tournament as some sort of sponsor or something. Ticket giveaways at half maybe?

During knockout stages, there are easily 2,000 people attending every night. Likely more with the multiple games.

It's tough though because most of the fans have real attachment to this tournament because they're cheering for their country of origin. They wouldn't have that with the Cavs.

This is the key.

Tommy should show his face (and glorious mane) and some of the players. They can do some type of announcement and meet and greet and do a ticket giveaway.

Hell, have a ticket rep there and sell discounted season tickets if you put a deposit down right then and there.

Sheesh I can do Cavalry’s marketing in my sleep. Are they hiring a VP of marketing? Haha
Old 04-04-2023, 01:11 PM   #38
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheevers View Post
I feel like Cavalry will forever struggle for consistent crowds while the stadium is where it is. It is a beautiful stadium, I love going, and will always appreciate the owners building it on their own, but it is such a pain to get to that you really do need to plan in advance when going. I decided to give up my season tickets this year due to having a new baby, and how hard it is to get to the stadium.
For sure, I hate the stadium location too. But the difference between building at Spruce Meadows and building a central stadium is likely 9 figures. That's enough to keep the club going for a couple decades at Spruce Meadows.

shermanator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2023, 09:23 AM   #39
MillerTime GFG
First Line Centre

Exp:

Finals are set for Thursday evening.

Women's final @ 7:15 - Canada vs. Italy
Men's Masters final @ 8:30 - Scotland vs Canada
Men's Open final @ 9:45 - Afghanistan vs Poland
(All games are on the West field for better viewing/atmosphere, which is why the Open Final isn't until late)

Games will be live streamed as well.

Last edited by MillerTime GFG; 04-05-2023 at 09:50 AM.
Old 04-05-2023, 11:28 AM   #40
Elkyiv
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Is entrance free? Do they still have a store inside the Soccer Centre? It's been years since I've been.
Elkyiv is offline   Reply With Quote