Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-15-2023, 03:50 PM   #201
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
This is more than a little cherry picked...he had 4 interceptions all season with 16 touchdowns, like when is this graphic even from? They played Atlanta in mid October so Week six lol. Do we post hockey stats from November when a guy signs as a UFA?

His rating was slightly below Rodgers and slightly above Carr at 20th on the season...again spending draft capital (especially a 1st) plus $$ on 40 year old Rodgers would have been really dumb.

Personally I think they are drafting a QB and want a vet to help him along, a cheaper and equally good vet as Carr so they have money to spend elsewhere...they have done a lot of cap clearing lately.
From november probly not, that's 10% of the season

This is 40% of the way through the nfl season, so akin go nhl in january when it definitely gets talked about

But it's also not new for jimmy g, he hasnt thrown downfield much, nor been good at it, since his injury about 5 years ago

I have no desire to watch a dink and dunk offense, not how you win in the nfl with how much passing game has exploded the last few years. Especially when jimmy is going from an absolutely loaded team to one that isnt

From an elite offensive schemer in shanahan to mcdanials who hasnt shown he is even average outside of new england

Carrs rating last year was not what his ability, like someone else said, carrs ability to make changes at the line was taken away last year, its arguably his best trait as a qb reading the defense.

Where is this 1st for rodgers coming from? I wouldnt pay that either but I dont think the trade will be anywhere near that, packers have zero leverage

The money doesnt matter, caps gonna sky rocket when new tv deal kicks in next year

But if you want to make the argument they wanted a vet qb while they draft one, they still overpaid jimmy, when guys like brissett who played better last year are signing for cheap.

Next year is a much better qb class anyway, just hoping now Jimmy is bad enough that we only win a few games and can get caleb williams or maybe even drake maye, rather than win 6 or 7 and are too far back, cause playoffs are absolutely not happening
d_phaneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to d_phaneuf For This Useful Post:
Old 03-15-2023, 04:07 PM   #202
Cheese
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ju Ju Smith-Schuster signing with the Pats, 3 years, 33 mill

https://www.tsn.ca/nfl/new-england-p...deal-1.1932026
Cheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2023, 04:57 PM   #203
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheese View Post
Ju Ju Smith-Schuster signing with the Pats, 3 years, 33 mill

https://www.tsn.ca/nfl/new-england-p...deal-1.1932026
The Pats sure do love their mid WRs. Don't understand why they didn't just pay Meyers when he got the exact same contract.
rubecube is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 03-15-2023, 05:24 PM   #204
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Love the Jamaal Williams signing for the Saints. They love their big personality, funny "glue guys" in that locker room
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2023, 05:35 PM   #205
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

You know what make this whole Rodgers saga better.

If the Packers take one of the picks from the Jets and use it to move up and take a WR in the first round.
Paulie Walnuts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2023, 06:29 AM   #206
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
The Pats sure do love their mid WRs. Don't understand why they didn't just pay Meyers when he got the exact same contract.
Especially weird seeing Meyers put up nearly the same stats in the dreadful Matt Patricia offense while JuJu's stats came courtesy of playing in an Andy Reid offense with Mahomes throwing the passes.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2023, 07:39 AM   #207
Cheese
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Especially weird seeing Meyers put up nearly the same stats in the dreadful Matt Patricia offense while JuJu's stats came courtesy of playing in an Andy Reid offense with Mahomes throwing the passes.

True, however Mahomes had a significantly greater arsenal to play with while Meyers was pretty much it for the Pats.
Cheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2023, 09:45 AM   #208
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheese View Post
True, however Mahomes had a significantly greater arsenal to play with while Meyers was pretty much it for the Pats.
Not sure I agree. They didn't have a legit #1 WR last season and their RB's would be backups on almost every team not named the Chiefs. It was basically Mahomes, Kelce and a bunch of nobodies. IMO that's what makes last season a far bigger achievement for the Chiefs compared to 2020.
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 03-16-2023, 11:13 AM   #209
Jason14h
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Not sure I agree. They didn't have a legit #1 WR last season and their RB's would be backups on almost every team not named the Chiefs. It was basically Mahomes, Kelce and a bunch of nobodies. IMO that's what makes last season a far bigger achievement for the Chiefs compared to 2020.
So the same as the Pats except the Pats don’t have the worlds best TE!
Jason14h is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2023, 11:23 AM   #210
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason14h View Post
So the same as the Pats except the Pats don’t have the worlds best TE!
Or the world's best QB or the worlds best offensive football mind. Kelce is getting to that age where decline should soon set in. That's going to be a big test for Reid and Mahomes as he's been the safety blanket in their offense since he came into the league. They could overcome the losses of players like Hunt, Hill, etc but scheme alone won't be able to make up for possibly the greatest ever TE to play the game. I think Reid will figure it out but I just don't know if yards and points will be as easy as it's been for them since Mahomes took over.
Old 03-16-2023, 12:47 PM   #211
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

I thought the Pats might make a play for Dalton Schultz. Bellichick wad the guy who brought back those multiple tight end sets to create mismatches when they had Gronk and Hernandez. Smith and Henry really have not delivered so I thought Schultz may have been a guy they saw as a more consistent receiving threat.
Old 03-16-2023, 01:06 PM   #212
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvanfan View Post
I thought the Pats might make a play for Dalton Schultz. Bellichick wad the guy who brought back those multiple tight end sets to create mismatches when they had Gronk and Hernandez. Smith and Henry really have not delivered so I thought Schultz may have been a guy they saw as a more consistent receiving threat.
Smith also just got traded to Atlanta yesterday.
rubecube is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2023, 01:43 PM   #213
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_phaneuf View Post
From november probly not, that's 10% of the season

This is 40% of the way through the nfl season, so akin go nhl in january when it definitely gets talked about

But it's also not new for jimmy g, he hasnt thrown downfield much, nor been good at it, since his injury about 5 years ago

I have no desire to watch a dink and dunk offense, not how you win in the nfl with how much passing game has exploded the last few years. Especially when jimmy is going from an absolutely loaded team to one that isnt

From an elite offensive schemer in shanahan to mcdanials who hasnt shown he is even average outside of new england

Carrs rating last year was not what his ability, like someone else said, carrs ability to make changes at the line was taken away last year, its arguably his best trait as a qb reading the defense.

Where is this 1st for rodgers coming from? I wouldnt pay that either but I dont think the trade will be anywhere near that, packers have zero leverage

The money doesnt matter, caps gonna sky rocket when new tv deal kicks in next year

But if you want to make the argument they wanted a vet qb while they draft one, they still overpaid jimmy, when guys like brissett who played better last year are signing for cheap.

Next year is a much better qb class anyway, just hoping now Jimmy is bad enough that we only win a few games and can get caleb williams or maybe even drake maye, rather than win 6 or 7 and are too far back, cause playoffs are absolutely not happening
Come on now, you don't use week six stats that are substantially worse to show how good/bad a UFA signing unless you are cherry picking.

He was the 20th ranked QB not 35th...Carr was 23rd. And they will be using the cap so it's not irrelevant. All rumors had the Packers wanting a first plus.... especially if multiple teams were interested which would be the case if the Raiders were involved.
Old 03-16-2023, 09:01 PM   #214
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

So it sounds like the Jets are not offering a 2023 1st for Rodgers, but have offered a 2024 1st.

GB has zero reason to accept that. If they wait til after June 1, and then deal him, they can spread the "dead money" over 2 seasons. Which is a huge bonus to them this year.

Jets have to make it worthwhile for GB to make a deal now....and they arent.

This thing may go on for a while and the whole time there has to be pressure in the Jets front office to get him secured....they have already based their entire off-season on it occurring.
Old 03-16-2023, 09:16 PM   #215
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

Can’t trust that flake, he’s as bad as or worse than Favre. Jets are dumb for playing his game but now they’re stuck with seeing this out
ResAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ResAlien For This Useful Post:
Old 03-16-2023, 09:28 PM   #216
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResAlien View Post
Can’t trust that flake, he’s as bad as or worse than Favre. Jets are dumb for playing his game but now they’re stuck with seeing this out
It has nothing to do with Rodgers at this point though.

He is under contract to GB, they have all the leverage against the Jets....and when, financially, it makes all kids of sense to wait 3 1/2 months to trade him....why would they rush the deal til they are satisfied with the return?
Old 03-17-2023, 04:19 AM   #217
Da_Chief
Franchise Player

Exp:

Or the Jets walk away (use draft capital to move up) and GB is stuck with the the guy with an extreme broken relationship. They can only deal him where he wants to go despite not having and trade protection. He'll just retire if he's sent to Indy or some other awful team.

GB doesn't have all the leverage, its in best interest for all parties to agree to a fair deal.
Da_Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2023, 08:02 AM   #218
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResAlien View Post
I love how he took his sweet time going into hibernation pretending he was considering retirement and now when he tells everyone what we already knew in that he is going to play and for the Jets he starts blaming the Packers for delaying things. I hope the Packers play hardball and get exactly what they feel they deserve here as they owe nothing to Rodgers.
Old 03-17-2023, 08:04 AM   #219
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

I love how he took his sweet time going into hibernation pretending he was considering retirement and now when he tells everyone what we already knew in that he is going to play and for the Jets he starts blaming the Packers for delaying things. I hope the Packers play hardball and get exactly what they feel they deserve here as they owe nothing to Rodgers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da_Chief View Post
Or the Jets walk away (use draft capital to move up) and GB is stuck with the the guy with an extreme broken relationship. They can only deal him where he wants to go despite not having and trade protection. He'll just retire if he's sent to Indy or some other awful team.

GB doesn't have all the leverage, its in best interest for all parties to agree to a fair deal.
Who's going to play QB for the Jets? Bridgewater, Wentz? They will have no chance of making the playoffs in that division with any of the QB's left in free agency. Packers have all the leverage here as the player wants to be there and the Jets have basically operated like he's going to be there.

Last edited by Erick Estrada; 03-17-2023 at 08:37 AM.
Old 03-17-2023, 08:58 AM   #220
DirtyMike
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Can someone help me understand why everyone hates Rodgers now? Is it the immunization thing?
DirtyMike is offline   Reply With Quote