Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-26-2023, 10:16 PM   #141
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sec214 View Post
The biggest problem is Tre money pinched his own people in the org and then dished out big money to three players who’ve never played for this team.
He offered $10.5M to Gaudreau and he decided to leave.

My guess is he offered that same exact $10.5M to Tkachuk who then also decided to leave.

I dont think it was penny pinching that caused these guys to leave.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-26-2023, 10:18 PM   #142
Infinit47
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamesgod View Post
Because, it's stupid. There was massive change here this off season . First in the division last year by a long shot and our coach suddenly forgot how to coach? Firing coach after coach is letting the inmates run the asylum. Not a good idea.
The team didn't play well for Sutter his first year back. They were awesome last regular season, but fell apart against the Oilers in the playoffs and Sutter did nothing but watch it happen.

If you look at things Tkachuk has said it's clear Sutter was part of the reason he left, not sure if it's the same for Gaudreau.

I'm done with the way he treats the media, the way he refuses to change until is way too late, and to top it off his teams are boring as hell to watch when they lose.

The way the Flames media tore into him after the Pelletier incident it's clear something is wrong with this team.
Infinit47 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Infinit47 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-26-2023, 10:19 PM   #143
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewFan View Post
Huberdeau for Monahan and 1st, and 1st and Coronato for Gaudreau, and Weegar and 1st for Chychryn and hope Kylington and Tanev are back soon.
Why Chychrun? You go after Tkachuk.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2023, 10:19 PM   #144
Dx54
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Wills is annoying
Dx54 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Dx54 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-26-2023, 10:19 PM   #145
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattanboy View Post
Don’t think that was ever a possibility. Not in the DNA of ownership or management. And Darryl would have no part of it.

Kinda sucks. And even if you are CHI or COL there’s no guarantee you are getting Bedard. Chances for the last place team are what 16% max?

Everyone talks like tanking would mean Bedard is a certainty when it’s really still a pipe dream even for the bottom feeders.
What's not in their DNA? not trying to win?

you'd think injecting your group with elite talent now for a little bit of short term pain to win a boat load of games in the future would be well within their DNA make up

it's called managing a team intelligently given the circumstances

it's not just Bedard in this draft who could be elite

if they're frustrated with the amount of playoff home games lately, maybe look at building your team up from the ground the right way so you can see a lot more of them (rather than patching the shoddy wagon with duct tape year after year just hoping to catch lightning in a bottle, which is far less likely or sustainable)

Last edited by TrentCrimmIndependent; 01-26-2023 at 10:29 PM.
TrentCrimmIndependent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2023, 10:20 PM   #146
butterfly
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Just to be clear, I'm not criticizing the Tkachuk trade. I did, and still do, think that trade was fabulous.

Once the trade was over, it is interesting to think about what could have been done with Huberdeau, Weegar, and Monahan instead of what actually happened. Players coming off of good to great seasons with cheap, short contracts are some of the most valuable assets you can have.

If the Flames had 65 points right now, I don't think anyone would be critical. But they have 55, so we're here. It's amazing how fine the line is.
butterfly is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to butterfly For This Useful Post:
Old 01-26-2023, 10:22 PM   #147
Flamesfan05
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
He offered $10.5M to Gaudreau and he decided to leave.

My guess is he offered that same exact $10.5M to Tkachuk who then also decided to leave.

I dont think it was penny pinching that caused these guys to leave.
Tkachuk was going to leave no matter what

He didn’t offer Johnny until it’s too late
Flamesfan05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2023, 10:23 PM   #148
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I dunno. GM did his job, plenty of good players at all positions. Coach is who he is, which worked just fine last year.

If Huberdeau, lindholm (heck, weegar) actually remembered how to generate offence, probably a different story.

Maybe if the team d didn’t completely fall off and have numerous major blunders every game this year.

Markstrom basically barely being a starting goalie since late last year.

All that falls on the players, and frigin execution. They should be pretty embarrased of themselves for this season. I think I heard They have yet to win more than 2 games in a row yet. Pathetic.

Kinda hope they get their asses handed to them tomorrow night.
bubbsy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bubbsy For This Useful Post:
Old 01-26-2023, 10:23 PM   #149
D as in David
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

When the opponent gets to three goals before the Flames do, it seems to me that, at best, they'll end up with one point. How many games have they won this year in that situation?
D as in David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2023, 10:24 PM   #150
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by butterfly View Post
Just to be clear, I'm not criticizing the Tkachuk trade. I did, and still do, think that trade was fabulous.

Once the trade was over, it is interesting to think about what could have been done with Huberdeau, Weegar, and Monahan instead of what actually happened. Players coming off of good to great seasons with cheap, short contracts are some of the most valuable assets you can have.

If the Flames had 65 points right now, I don't think anyone would be critical. But they have 55, so we're here. It's amazing how fine the line is.
the Tkachuk trade was good. Great, in fact

given speculation of other packages it was by far and away the best they were going to get

parlaying those assets to maximize returns for their future though was absolutely the right way to handle it post-trade

you could even keep Weegar at the contract they ended up signing, while turning Huberdeau into a 1st, 2nd and a prospect at the deadline
Old 01-26-2023, 10:25 PM   #151
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroCop View Post
Ya I think Sutter has sucked the life from this group. Crazy how he’s seemed to have lost it in a year. His drop in performance as a coach is not unlike Huberdeau as a player from last season. Wonder what Trotz is up to these days.
Darryl is just like Brent Sutter. They are stubborn coaches who's mentality is not to allow players to aspire to shine but rather focus on who deserves ice team and "does the right things" in the grind as a team player.

It works wonders when you have prime Jonathan Quick or Kipper in net + superstars in front but when you have aging average stars, he sucks the life out of the ice.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2023, 10:26 PM   #152
memphusk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfiverecords View Post
Bedard? Lol

Think…how about that Ethan Gauthier?

Flames likely draft 16th not 1st.
Is he Denis boy?
Old 01-26-2023, 10:27 PM   #153
Nelson
First Line Centre

Exp:

I’m with Steinberg. Do not buy a depth defenceman or a middle-six forward. Do not spend draft picks.
Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Nelson For This Useful Post:
Old 01-26-2023, 10:28 PM   #154
BoLevi
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentCrimmIndependent View Post
the Tkachuk trade was good. Great, in fact

given speculation of other packages it was by far and away the best they were going to get

parlaying those assets to maximize returns for their future though was absolutely the right way to handle it post-trade

you could even keep Weegar at the contract they ended up signing, while turning Huberdeau into a 1st, 2nd and a prospect at the deadline
Unfortunately we're stuck with a LW that was enormously over-rated for another right years and a $2 million goalie that we're paying $6 million.
BoLevi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2023, 10:29 PM   #155
NewFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfiverecords View Post
Why Chychrun? You go after Tkachuk.
Don't have assets to trade for Tkachuk and that group didn't work last season.
If we computer accept my offer we will have almost same group last year but better in C and a little better in D. Pelletier actually is smart as Tkachuk but may be less skillful. So try him with Lindholm and Johnny. /in my video game/
NewFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2023, 10:29 PM   #156
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

I did not come back to watch the third period but why did the Flames bother to pull the goalie in a 4-1 game? Seems pretty useless to me.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2023, 10:30 PM   #157
Moneyhands23
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentCrimmIndependent View Post
maybe it's time to start thinking about that king's ransom for Lindholm
You mean u don't want to sign him for 8 years at age 30?
Moneyhands23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2023, 10:32 PM   #158
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoLevi View Post
Unfortunately we're stuck with a LW that was enormously over-rated for another right years and a $2 million goalie we're paying $6 million.
I wouldnt write Huberdeau off yet. It's been a frustrating 45 games, but its not like he had one good year.

In the 5 seasons prior to this one he was 7th in the entire NHL with 415 points in 368 games, you don't do that just by fluke.

He's starting to show more of that skill but is playing a stronger 200 foot game with it.

Plus this whole team needs to learn how to be ready for a pass in a scoring position. Way too many times where it seems like a pass to them surprises them.

Last edited by SuperMatt18; 01-26-2023 at 10:36 PM.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2023, 10:32 PM   #159
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelson View Post
I’m with Steinberg. Do not buy a depth defenceman or a middle-six forward. Do not spend draft picks.
yup

they're not that far enough away for it to be worthwhile, and can't afford surrendering the futures or assets

leave the team's destiny in its own hands

in the end I see Tre spending a 6th or 7th on a guy more proven than Mackey
Old 01-26-2023, 10:34 PM   #160
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
I did not come back to watch the third period but why did the Flames bother to pull the goalie in a 4-1 game? Seems pretty useless to me.
Someone bet the over.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote