Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-27-2023, 03:43 PM   #301
Locke
Franchise Player
 
Locke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Income Tax Central
Exp:
Default

Even look at Chicago's Goalscorers.

We got smoked by Chicago's AHL team.
__________________
The Beatings Shall Continue Until Morale Improves!

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

The Odds of the Flames winning the Cup this season are approximately 3,720-1
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2023, 03:47 PM   #302
GioforPM
Franchise Player
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Springbank
Exp:
Default

I don't think anyone has argued that the team plays better in front of Vladar. The W-L speaks for itself.

The question is why that's on Markstrom and not the team. Especially in a game like last night when he gave them no reason through the start to have any lack of confidence in him. He was definitely on his game in the first ten-15 minutes, and they were not.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2023, 04:18 PM   #303
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender
 
Inglewood Jack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
Lots of different types of teams contend for the cup. You look at the last ten or so years of cup winners, and Lindholm compares well to (and even tops) a few of the #1 centres in the list.

But I find the ďthis player isnít this position on a cup contender!Ē argument is usually lazy and sometimes pretty dumb anyway.
Lindholm can be #1C on a cup winning team if the top line wingers, defense, and goalie are god tier. I'm squinting real hard to see that composition on this roster though.
Inglewood Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2023, 04:25 PM   #304
beaster
Draft Pick
 
Join Date: May 2022
Default Tre

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentCrimmIndependent View Post
Two division winning finishes in the last 4 years and a current 23-17-9 record in a WC spot?

you're right, it doesn't get worse than that
it's not how a season starts its about how it finishes
beaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2023, 04:49 PM   #305
dino7c
Franchise Player
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentCrimmIndependent View Post
That's not the implication of the post.

I'm asking why the denial around the team about what's obvious to the rest of us.
Well that is my point...where is the denial? Vladar is getting the bulk of the work of late
__________________
GFG
dino7c is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2023, 06:17 PM   #306
Inferno
Franchise Player
 
Inferno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: The Pas, MB
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
The question is why that's on Markstrom and not the team. Especially in a game like last night when he gave them no reason through the start to have any lack of confidence in him. He was definitely on his game in the first ten-15 minutes, and they were not.
Yeah, I can understand if you don't have confidence in your goalie feeling nervous to start the game. But once you see he's actually on his game it should settle you in. A team that can't is mentally weak.

Not that I buy the whole "The players have no confidence in him and that's why they don't score" excuse.
Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Inferno For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2023, 07:35 PM   #307
dino7c
Franchise Player
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Exp:
Default

Vladar has been average...team is playing at a 109 point pace with him in net on the season
Flames just need average not even great to be a good team that would coast into the playoffs

Sadly Markstrom has been below average
__________________
GFG
dino7c is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2023, 06:19 AM   #308
Tsawwassen
Franchise Player
 
Tsawwassen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Exp:
Default

Postgame links
https://stats.cbc.ca/hockey/nhl/recap/146514
https://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl...n-26-1.6727740
https://scores.nbcsports.com/nhl/rec...s=4&final=true
https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/games/2466417/
https://www.espn.com/nhl/recap/_/gameId/401459361
__________________
Remember this, TSN stands for Toronto's Sports Network!
MOD EDIT: Removed broken image link.
Tsawwassen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2023, 06:49 AM   #309
CGY12
#1 Goaltender
 
CGY12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Toronto
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
Lots of different types of teams contend for the cup. You look at the last ten or so years of cup winners, and Lindholm compares well to (and even tops) a few of the #1 centres in the list.

But I find the “this player isn’t this position on a cup contender!” argument is usually lazy and sometimes pretty dumb anyway.
McKinnon, Point, Crosby, Backstrom, Toews, Kopitar, Bergeron, Datsyuk and Getzlaf, all #1 centres on cup winning teams dating back 15 years.

Please tell me who he compares too and "even tops" on this list in terms of skillset? I'd literally rather have every single one of those players over Lindholm as my #1 centre. All of those players have the capability to step on the ice and control the pace of the game and the skillset to gain the o zone with relative ease.

Like I said Lindholm is an awesome player, he's very useful and produces statistically, but he lacks the ability to carry and control the puck, which is a vital skill to have for your #1 centre in the playoffs. You are seeing it this year without Johnny, he looks less dangerous playing with 2 guys who can't do it either and this is our #1 line. His ideal spot is 2nd line C on a championship caliber team, behind a player that's the caliber of anybody I mentioned above.

Last edited by CGY12; 01-28-2023 at 06:53 AM.
CGY12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2023, 09:09 AM   #310
Bingo
Owner
 
Bingo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Calgary
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by beaster View Post
it's not how a season starts its about how it finishes
Not sure I agree.

I think if the GM builds a team that can win a division it's more on coaching to never take it the rest of the way isn't it?

Doesn't make sense otherwise.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2023, 09:12 AM   #311
Burning Beard
First Line Centre
 
Burning Beard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGY12 View Post
McKinnon, Point, Crosby, Backstrom, Toews, Kopitar, Bergeron, Datsyuk and Getzlaf, all #1 centres on cup winning teams dating back 15 years.

Please tell me who he compares too and "even tops" on this list in terms of skillset? I'd literally rather have every single one of those players over Lindholm as my #1 centre. All of those players have the capability to step on the ice and control the pace of the game and the skillset to gain the o zone with relative ease.

Like I said Lindholm is an awesome player, he's very useful and produces statistically, but he lacks the ability to carry and control the puck, which is a vital skill to have for your #1 centre in the playoffs. You are seeing it this year without Johnny, he looks less dangerous playing with 2 guys who can't do it either and this is our #1 line. His ideal spot is 2nd line C on a championship caliber team, behind a player that's the caliber of anybody I mentioned above.
After a 3 point night against the top team in the division and still complaining.
Burning Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Burning Beard For This Useful Post:
Old 01-28-2023, 09:43 AM   #312
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant
 
PepsiFree's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGY12 View Post
McKinnon, Point, Crosby, Backstrom, Toews, Kopitar, Bergeron, Datsyuk and Getzlaf, all #1 centres on cup winning teams dating back 15 years.

Please tell me who he compares too and "even tops" on this list in terms of skillset? I'd literally rather have every single one of those players over Lindholm as my #1 centre. All of those players have the capability to step on the ice and control the pace of the game and the skillset to gain the o zone with relative ease.

Like I said Lindholm is an awesome player, he's very useful and produces statistically, but he lacks the ability to carry and control the puck, which is a vital skill to have for your #1 centre in the playoffs. You are seeing it this year without Johnny, he looks less dangerous playing with 2 guys who can't do it either and this is our #1 line. His ideal spot is 2nd line C on a championship caliber team, behind a player that's the caliber of anybody I mentioned above.
Heís one of the best defensive forwards in the league, playing better on that side of the puck than bottom six guys who specialize in it (spends more time short handed than most of the league and still produces), and heís a number one because he can bring the offence as well. Heís excellent on faceoffs and I think youíre wrong by about his ability to carry and control the puck. Of course he looks less dangerous offensively without two 100+ point players on his wing. Literally every guy you named looks less dangerous with weaker wingers, and few of them are exceptional enough to look completely dangerous on their own.

Heís comparable to Bergeron, Backstrom, OíRielly, Toews, Kopitar, Getzlaf, Krejci, etc. I think when you balance out offence and defence, heís better than Backstrom, OíRielly, Toews, Kopitar, and Krejci. You can disagree, and thatís fine, but saying he canít be a number one on a stanley cup winning team is lazy and dumb.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 01-28-2023, 10:39 AM   #313
CGY12
#1 Goaltender
 
CGY12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Toronto
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burning Beard View Post
After a 3 point night against the top team in the division and still complaining.
Complaining? lol. Talk about tunnel vision. In my post I stated Lindholm is an awesome player. Just because I don't think he's a #1 centre on a true Stanley Cup contending team I don't like the player?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
Heís one of the best defensive forwards in the league, playing better on that side of the puck than bottom six guys who specialize in it (spends more time short handed than most of the league and still produces), and heís a number one because he can bring the offence as well. Heís excellent on faceoffs and I think youíre wrong by about his ability to carry and control the puck. Of course he looks less dangerous offensively without two 100+ point players on his wing. Literally every guy you named looks less dangerous with weaker wingers, and few of them are exceptional enough to look completely dangerous on their own.

Heís comparable to Bergeron, Backstrom, OíRielly, Toews, Kopitar, Getzlaf, Krejci, etc. I think when you balance out offence and defence, heís better than Backstrom, OíRielly, Toews, Kopitar, and Krejci. You can disagree, and thatís fine, but saying he canít be a number one on a stanley cup winning team is lazy and dumb.
I don't disagree with his ability to produce, play in his own zone or win faceoffs. He's a very good player. In my opinion a #1 centre, on a contender, the #1 centre needs excel at carrying the puck and gaining the zone, which I don't think is a strength of his. If you want to call me lazy for having that opinion based on watching the Flames, that's fine.

Also not disputing the fact that he isn't going to be as dangerous without Gaudreau or Tkachuk, that's a given, simply stating that the 1st line is missing a calibre of player that excels at zone entries. Hell even the power play struggles because of this.

I'll give you O'Reilly, Krejci wasn't mentioned because he isn't a 1st line centre, the others are all hall of famers yet you think they are comparable to Lindholm? Lindholm is a good player but he ain't at that level.
CGY12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2023, 11:18 AM   #314
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant
 
PepsiFree's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGY12 View Post
I'll give you O'Reilly, Krejci wasn't mentioned because he isn't a 1st line centre, the others are all hall of famers yet you think they are comparable to Lindholm? Lindholm is a good player but he ain't at that level.
Krejci was the Bruins #1 center in 2011. And of course, these are all winners, we havenít even mentioned ďcontendersĒ which is a lot looser. Calling Toews, Kopitar, and Backstrom hall of famers as the reason Lindholm isnít on their level doesnít mean anything, as if Lindholm continues his trajectory youíll probably be talking about him as a hall of famer in seven years when heís the same age as those guys.

Toews and Backstrom are two examples of guys who have benefitted heavily by playing with generational wingers through most of their careers. Kopitar plays a pretty comparable game to Lindholm.

Regardless, if the argument is that Lindholm canít be #1 on a cup contender and you admit heís better than OíRielly and Krejci, that pretty much disproves the original point right there.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2023, 07:45 PM   #315
CGY12
#1 Goaltender
 
CGY12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Toronto
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
Krejci was the Bruins #1 center in 2011. And of course, these are all winners, we havenít even mentioned ďcontendersĒ which is a lot looser. Calling Toews, Kopitar, and Backstrom hall of famers as the reason Lindholm isnít on their level doesnít mean anything, as if Lindholm continues his trajectory youíll probably be talking about him as a hall of famer in seven years when heís the same age as those guys.

Toews and Backstrom are two examples of guys who have benefitted heavily by playing with generational wingers through most of their careers. Kopitar plays a pretty comparable game to Lindholm.

Regardless, if the argument is that Lindholm canít be #1 on a cup contender and you admit heís better than OíRielly and Krejci, that pretty much disproves the original point right there.
I didn't admit anything. Playoff hockey is vastly different than regular season hockey. All 5 players you mentioned are within grasp of each other in terms of ppg production in playoff hockey, Lindholm is a ways behind all 5, and you call me lazy lol.

PS. Lindholm will never be a hall of famer
CGY12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2023, 08:08 PM   #316
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant
 
PepsiFree's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGY12 View Post
I didn't admit anything. Playoff hockey is vastly different than regular season hockey. All 5 players you mentioned are within grasp of each other in terms of ppg production in playoff hockey, Lindholm is a ways behind all 5, and you call me lazy lol.

PS. Lindholm will never be a hall of famer
Keep finding whatever stat line you need. First you say heís awesome and produces statistically, but itís his carry and control ability thatís the problem. Now itís that he doesnít produce enough. Doesnít matter because, as I said, his defensive ability is exceptional. Heís improved his P/GP in the playoffs every year, and has produced better than some individual years of guys like Bergeron, Toews, Backstrom, etc. You want to use career averages? Then give him another 7 years. Youíre still being lazy, so who cares what you think about hall of fame predictions? You canít barely figure out today.

As for what you admitted:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGY12 View Post
I'll give you O'Reilly
Thatís Stanley Cup winner Ryan OíReilly, and if Lindholm is comparable or better than he is (which you ďgave meĒ) then guess heís good enough to win a cup as a #1.

Donít know why youíre fighting it so hard. Itís a weak point to make in the first place, you donít lose anything by admitting it was dumb.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2023, 02:30 AM   #317
CGY12
#1 Goaltender
 
CGY12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Toronto
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
Keep finding whatever stat line you need. First you say heís awesome and produces statistically, but itís his carry and control ability thatís the problem. Now itís that he doesnít produce enough. Doesnít matter because, as I said, his defensive ability is exceptional. Heís improved his P/GP in the playoffs every year, and has produced better than some individual years of guys like Bergeron, Toews, Backstrom, etc. You want to use career averages? Then give him another 7 years. Youíre still being lazy, so who cares what you think about hall of fame predictions? You canít barely figure out today.

As for what you admitted:



Thatís Stanley Cup winner Ryan OíReilly, and if Lindholm is comparable or better than he is (which you ďgave meĒ) then guess heís good enough to win a cup as a #1.

Donít know why youíre fighting it so hard. Itís a weak point to make in the first place, you donít lose anything by admitting it was dumb.
I gave you O'Rielly as a comparable, then checked his production in the playoffs, no bueno. Everybody else it wasn't necessary to look up the data even though I did.

Like I said, Lindholm is a good player, he does somethings very well and in my opinion a great 2nd line centre on a championship contender. To rely on him as your go to, I don't think so. In a game where puck possession/zone entries are key, its kinda important that your #1 be able to excel at that, I don't think he does.

Somebody calling somebody else lazy can't even double check playoff averages lol. The worst statistically of that group is Krejci and even he is 20% more productive statistically in the playoffs.
CGY12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2023, 04:45 AM   #318
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant
 
PepsiFree's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGY12 View Post
I gave you O'Rielly as a comparable, then checked his production in the playoffs, no bueno. Everybody else it wasn't necessary to look up the data even though I did.

Like I said, Lindholm is a good player, he does somethings very well and in my opinion a great 2nd line centre on a championship contender. To rely on him as your go to, I don't think so. In a game where puck possession/zone entries are key, its kinda important that your #1 be able to excel at that, I don't think he does.

Somebody calling somebody else lazy can't even double check playoff averages lol. The worst statistically of that group is Krejci and even he is 20% more productive statistically in the playoffs.
If your entire argument is based off playoff p/gp averages, it’s not a very good argument.

Kadri is higher than Backstrom, Kopitar, Datsyuk, and Krejci, so I guess we have a Stanley Cup calibre #1 center regardless of how you feel about Lindholm.

As far as double checking playoff averages, Datsyuk is actually the lowest (should have triple checked I guess), and he’s 0.09 ahead of Lindholm. For easy math, that means for every 100 playoff games they play, Datsyuk would have put up 9 more points than Lindholm. In a playoff run where every series goes to game 7? 3 points. So you’re not making much of an argument even as you “double check” the stats. And that’s even with you waffling between trying to figure out if your argument is production or your visual perception of how he controls the puck (despite being one of the best defensive forwards in the league, which dismisses your argument about control entirely).

Last edited by PepsiFree; 01-29-2023 at 08:32 AM.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2023, 07:48 AM   #319
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player
 
Finger Cookin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Exp:
Default

Man, the Flames sure do have this chronic inability to find true players for their roles. Monahan was never a true number one center, Lindholm's not a true number one center, Markstrom's not a true number one goalie, Backlund was never a true number two center, I can't remember if Gaudreau was ever a true first line winger, but I'm guessing probably not, Iginla never had a true number one center, we haven't had a true number one right winger since Iginla, or a true number one goalie since Kiprusoff.

We should get a true number one GM who can hire true number one scouts to find true players who truly fit their true roles, and then a true number one coach. I can't believe we just haven't done this already.
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Finger Cookin For This Useful Post:
Old 01-29-2023, 08:49 AM   #320
Flamesfan05
First Line Centre
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: Dallas
Exp:
Default

The years St Louis and Boston won the cups, Tim Thomas and Binnington stood on their heads

If they get goaltending like that and a very good balanced teams, Lindholm can probably win the cup

Just don’t expect him to be the main guy. He has never been one. If he is, you’d struggle making the playoffs like they are now
Flamesfan05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:50 AM.

Calgary Flames
2022-23




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright Calgarypuck 2021