Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-27-2023, 11:42 AM   #281
Naitix
Scoring Winger

Exp:

None of our goalies are stealing any games for us this year, if this keeps happening, it would be time to bring up Wolf. That guy steals game after game
Naitix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2023, 11:45 AM   #282
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hungry for the Wolf.
Manhattanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2023, 11:52 AM   #283
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

It’s not just Chicago and Columbus. Calgary also lost to Montreal twice
1-3-2 against those 3 teams that are in the running for Bedard.

At least they laid the boots to Arizona and Anaheim with big 3-2 wins, right? Those are bad teams and the Flames only beat them by the narrowest of margins

I really expected with time to adjust to the system and develop chemistry, and hearing about strength of schedule, the team would have started to turn a page.

They are 5-4-2 in January, with one game left against Seattle. Ugly stuff
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2023, 12:11 PM   #284
taxbuster
First Line Centre

Exp:

This team needs big changes. Don't know where the issue lies, but something is broken badly.

How can you not get it up when you're "in the mix" and playing a clearly bad team. Chicago played well...but they're a bottom feeder with a goalie who was in his...second NHL game? Come on. At least put on a decent showing. Losing by one goal I could understand. Getting smoked....ugh.

Either the Coach and the Room are off-kilter, or the Coach and the GM are, or the players all hate each other.
Old 01-27-2023, 12:12 PM   #285
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by beaster View Post
If I had a track record like Treliving I think I would do the honorable thing and resign.
Two division winning finishes in the last 4 years and a current 23-17-9 record in a WC spot?

you're right, it doesn't get worse than that
TrentCrimmIndependent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2023, 12:15 PM   #286
Barnet Flame
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey_Ninja View Post
The Avs lost to the Ducks last night and the Yotes and Blackhawks earlier this year as well. Bottom feeders have always beaten teams in playoff contention. It sucks but it is what it is
The two worst teams in the league came into our barn this week and left with 3 of 4 points after already recently collecting 4 of 4 points from us.

The league’s bottom feeders, with a collective .352 P%, are .875 against us.

You can compare us against other team’s one off results, but it doesn’t change the fact that we have been pathetic.

And it’s the most boring hockey I’ve ever seen because we barely get the slightest glimpse of prospects. All we’re watching this season is veterans on debilitating contracts getting worse.
Barnet Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Barnet Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2023, 12:17 PM   #287
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnet Flame View Post
All we’re watching this season is veterans on debilitating contracts getting worse.
Where oh where have i seen this before.........

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2023, 12:19 PM   #288
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentCrimmIndependent View Post
Two division winning finishes in the last 4 years and a current 23-17-9 record in a WC spot?

you're right, it doesn't get worse than that
We're not in a WC spot
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2023, 12:21 PM   #289
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnet Flame View Post
The two worst teams in the league came into our barn this week and left with 3 of 4 points after already recently collecting 4 of 4 points from us.

The league’s bottom feeders, with a collective .352 P%, are .875 against us.

You can compare us against other team’s one off results, but it doesn’t change the fact that we have been pathetic.

And it’s the most boring hockey I’ve ever seen because we barely get the slightest glimpse of prospects. All we’re watching this season is veterans on debilitating contracts getting worse.
Doesn't really matter what they take from the Flames TBH.

Matters what the Flames took from them which is 3 out of 8.

And if the Flames end up missing the playoffs by 2-3 points then those are the games you can point back at for sure as missed opportunities.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2023, 12:24 PM   #290
Barnet Flame
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
Doesn't really matter what they take from the Flames TBH.

Matters what the Flames took from them which is 3 out of 8.

And if the Flames end up missing the playoffs by 2-3 points then those are the games you can point back at for sure as missed opportunities.
I don’t know whether I should laugh or cry in response to that.
Barnet Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2023, 12:24 PM   #291
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntingwhale View Post
Absolutely horrid game. Was embarrassed I put this on the TV in my house. Only positive was Huberdeau's goal was super nice. Everything else...woof. Games like this are why people are occasionally justified in freaking out after losses.

LOL at the coach on fan960 who said recently he gets annoyed when fans say the team plays differently in front of Markstrom and it's not true. Not pinning the entire loss on him, but clear as day the team DOES in fact play differently in front of him. Either you suck at coaching, or are full of lies.
That people in and around the organization continue to deny this is laughable and shows how little self-awareness this old man's club has

Vladar is 9-0-3 in his last 12 . 9-0-3!!

And he's been only marginally better numbers-wise than Markstrom. I do think he's been better in net overall. But given the vast chasm of difference in their records over that time with not too different positional numbers it is quite easy to deduce that yes the team damn well plays differently in front of Vladar than Markstrom

Why are people burying their heads in the sand around this issue? this is Edmonton-esque levels of denial

Edit: The extra ####ed part is he won't chalk it up to superior goaltending either. Sutter is also trying to sell a narrative that they've been par with one another (markstrom with a bEtTeR GAA)

Huh, so why is one guy 5-7-0 and the other 9-0-3 if their performances have been close, but the team has also played no different in front of one guy vs the other (WITH Vladar getting the more difficult opponents)? Riddle me that, coach

Last edited by TrentCrimmIndependent; 01-27-2023 at 12:42 PM.
Old 01-27-2023, 12:27 PM   #292
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
That people in and around the organization continue to deny this is laughable and shows how little self-awareness this old man's club has

And he's been only marginally better numbers-wise than Markstrom. I do think he's been better in net overall. But given the vast chasm of difference in their records over that time with not too different positional numbers it is quite easy to deduce that yes the team damn well plays differently in front of Vladar than Markstrom

Why are people burying their heads in the sand around this issue? this is Edmonton-esque levels of denial
You wanted them to play Vladar back to back?

Vladar is about to play his 3rd game of the last 4 and Markstoms one start was the weaker team of a back to back
Old 01-27-2023, 12:30 PM   #293
Burning Beard
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

I think every one in the organization is smart enough to know that you don't handle a goalie confidence issue (both how the goalie plays and how the team plays in front of said goalie) by announcing it to the media and making it worse.

They gave Markstrom lots of time because his ceiling is higher than Vladars but it's clear from them running Vladar lately that he is the guy. Of course they don't want to play a goalie back to back who has never played a full season so Markstrom got the easier game. He got zero run support from the team but also was not playing at a good level.
Burning Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Burning Beard For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2023, 12:34 PM   #294
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
You wanted them to play Vladar back to back?

Vladar is about to play his 3rd game of the last 4 and Markstoms one start was the weaker team of a back to back
That's not the implication of the post.

I'm asking why the denial around the team about what's obvious to the rest of us.
Old 01-27-2023, 12:36 PM   #295
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burning Beard View Post
I think every one in the organization is smart enough to know that you don't handle a goalie confidence issue (both how the goalie plays and how the team plays in front of said goalie) by announcing it to the media and making it worse.

They gave Markstrom lots of time because his ceiling is higher than Vladars but it's clear from them running Vladar lately that he is the guy. Of course they don't want to play a goalie back to back who has never played a full season so Markstrom got the easier game. He got zero run support from the team but also was not playing at a good level.
Agreed. But admitting they play better in front of Vladar would be letting Markstrom off the hook, if anything.
Old 01-27-2023, 01:44 PM   #296
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogermexico View Post
Yeah that was my first game at the dome this season. Ooof.
Ditto. Oof indeed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattanboy View Post
Every team has those nights.

But man given timing and opponent it’s hard to accept.

I never thought we would see this from a Sutter coached group.

Starting to think something really is rotten in Denmark.

And I can’t stand Wills either.
Sure, the problem is that the Flames are chasing a playoff spot, and bearing that in mind are having too many of those nights.

But thats okay. They can chase a playoff spot all they like, my own opinion is that blowing games like last night? They're not going to catch it.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2023, 02:47 PM   #297
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

every time you give away 2 points against an "easy" opponent, you're putting it on yourselves to need to take 2 more points from a tougher opponent to make up for that

If they're up for that, great. But they could sure make life easier on themselves by bucking down in these low intensity games and getting it done
Old 01-27-2023, 02:50 PM   #298
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
every time you give away 2 points against an "easy" opponent, you're putting it on yourselves to need to take 2 more points from a tougher opponent to make up for that

If they're up for that, great. But they could sure make life easier on themselves by bucking down in these low intensity games and getting it done
That Chicago game did have trap game written all over it, and it's too bad they fell into the trap.

Columbus game was a playoff atmosphere even though it was another bad team due to Gaudreau's return.

Then they had Seattle tonight as a team they were probably looking ahead to.

But you can't take any team in the NHL lightly, and this is the time of year where teams with young rosters surprise people. Chicago looked quick last night and Flames never really caught on.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2023, 03:25 PM   #299
CGY12
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFireInside View Post
That's what I said he can't do anything because he has no one.

It worked very well with Lindholm being the responsible two way center allowing his forwards to drive the play. That's who he is, he's fine but he needs another winger and Dube isn't it.
Which is why he isn't a #1 centre on a cup contending team
CGY12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2023, 03:34 PM   #300
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGY12 View Post
Which is why he isn't a #1 centre on a cup contending team
Lots of different types of teams contend for the cup. You look at the last ten or so years of cup winners, and Lindholm compares well to (and even tops) a few of the #1 centres in the list.

But I find the “this player isn’t this position on a cup contender!” argument is usually lazy and sometimes pretty dumb anyway.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post: