Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-04-2022, 06:22 AM   #781
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
They were averaging like 2.5 yards a carry in the playoffs last year. Their offense has been fairly middling for a while now, without Donald and Von Miller last year they wouldn't have won anything.
I would say OBJ was also a factor in them in the playoffs as he made some big catches for them. This is now two prime time games in the opening month where they may as well been wearing Texans jerseys and I get that Shanahan owns McVay but when you look at how putrid that offense was against the Broncos last week for them to just carve through the Rams defense like butter all night is telling that the Rams are too top heavy and their depth stinks. Cooper Kupp is a great receiver but surely a mastermind coordinator could draw up more than just throwing to him all game with a sprinkling of balls to Higbee. Robinson looks finished as the guy just can't get open anymore. Hopefully they are at least somewhat competitive in their next three prime time games as it's pretty embarrassing to see a defending Super Bowl winner look so bad on a national stage.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 08:12 AM   #782
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
Rams are a mess. Allen Robinson looks like one of worst free agent whiffs in recent memory, the OLine is terrible, Stafford is in classic Stafford mode, and the "throw it to Kupp every play and hope" offense can only go so far. McVay probably wishing he went to broadcasting, his "offensive genius" title is fairly fraudulent.
To me it just speaks to how important a good offensive line is.

They had a top offensive line in the league last year, but 3 of the 5 guys on that line last year weren’t on the line last night.

If you can’t run the ball, and you can’t protect the passer, then your offense is going to stink.

Also: Late to the party here but that Mahomes touchdown pass on Sunday night might be one of the best NFL plays I've ever seen a guy make, just ridiculous.

Last edited by SuperMatt18; 10-04-2022 at 09:07 AM.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 09:14 AM   #783
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post

They had a top offensive line in the league last year, but 3 of the 5 guys on that line last year weren’t on the line last night.

If you can’t run the ball, and you can’t protect the passer, then your offense is going to stink.

Also: Late to the party here but that Mahomes touchdown pass on Sunday night might be one of the best NFL plays I've ever seen a guy make, just ridiculous.
That entire system is based on having a good line, zone blocking scheme and running through those lanes.

It's actually a really basic offence I am not sure how McVay is touted as a offensive genius. Some of the guys from that coaching tree have better offences.
Paulie Walnuts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 09:16 AM   #784
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post

The amazing thing is that no lineman were caught upfield after all that scrambling.

Also, Cooper Kupp with 14 catches and only 122 yards means SF did its job in keeping the play in front of them. Deep safeties are the infield shift of football.

GirlySports is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 11:06 AM   #785
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulie Walnuts View Post
That entire system is based on having a good line, zone blocking scheme and running through those lanes.

It's actually a really basic offence I am not sure how McVay is touted as a offensive genius. Some of the guys from that coaching tree have better offences.
I believe Aikman said during the game that McVay and Shanahan were the best offensive minds in the game which I feel is an insult to Andy Reid. Kyle is running his dad's offense and while it's really good it's his dad that's the brains behind that scheme. McVay is a good coach but not nearly the offensive genius he's credited to be.
Old 10-04-2022, 01:04 PM   #786
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

4 weeks in and there are 15 teams at 2-2. One team with no losses, and only one team without a win. Looks like the league could be as mediocre as ever. We'll see how the league evolves over the next few few weeks here. I do think that teams who can run the ball and force teams to send more than 4 guys to get a pass rush will be the ones who break this 2 high safety shell coverage more often than not.

So the Eagles are probably the best team in the NFL on both lines which will make them tough to beat for anyone. Would be fun to see them play Tampa this year. The Bucs aren't as good on the lines as they were last year. But until I see Jalen Hurts beat Brady in a playoff game...I can't count out the G.O.A.T. Barring major injury I think Tampa, Philly, Green Bay, and Minnesota are all likely in the playoffs for the NFC.

The Bill's and maybe the Chiefs in the AFC at this point ( although the top teams in the AFC seem to have the Chiefs figured out). Dolphins could be if they can keep their QB's alive. Bengals seem close too if they too can keep Burrow alive. Broncos, Chargers, Ravens, Titans..not sure if they could be good or if coaching in the case of the first two or talent for the latter will hold them back. Jags are a team to watch.

Last edited by Sylvanfan; 10-04-2022 at 01:09 PM.
Sylvanfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2022, 03:14 PM   #787
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

oh the audacity ...

Quote:
The protester who was tackled by Bobby Wagner after running onto the field during Monday Night Football has filed a police report against the Los Angeles Rams linebacker. A spokesperson for the Santa Clara Police Department confirmed to TMZ Sports that the man filed the report over the incident on Tuesday but didn't reveal any additional details.
[...]
A representative for Direct Action Everywhere told TMZ that the police report stems from a "blatant assault" by the Rams players. The organization said the man suffered a burn injury during the incident but is otherwise "in good spirits."
https://www.thescore.com/nfl/news/2440275/amp

"blatant assault" my ass. Dude should be happy that Wagner didn't go harder, otherwise the NFL would have had to diagnose him with a back injury.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to devo22 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-05-2022, 03:49 PM   #788
KelVarnsen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Play stupid games. Win stupid prizes.
KelVarnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2022, 01:18 PM   #789
KelVarnsen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Its week 5 and tonight is the Broncos 3rd primetime game. Next week they have MNF to make it 4 primetime games in 6 weeks. I get trying to sell Russ and the new owner, but this is just excessive.
The Following User Says Thank You to KelVarnsen For This Useful Post:
Old 10-06-2022, 01:30 PM   #790
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KelVarnsen View Post
Its week 5 and tonight is the Broncos 3rd primetime game. Next week they have MNF to make it 4 primetime games in 6 weeks. I get trying to sell Russ and the new owner, but this is just excessive.
Every team plays a Thursday night game but I hear you as I just saw them on Sunday against the Raiders. For me the worst thing about every NFL season is the Giants on primetime so I won't complain about non-NFC East teams getting more primetime games.
Old 10-06-2022, 06:43 PM   #791
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'd rather watch the Giants. Saquon is at least fun to watch and Danny Jones is good for a few comically bad plays a game. This game just stinks of something very fowl, with poor coaching to boot.

Last edited by Senator Clay Davis; 10-06-2022 at 06:47 PM.
Senator Clay Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2022, 06:51 PM   #792
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

4 punts in the 1st quarter might be an nfl record?
EldrickOnIce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2022, 06:53 PM   #793
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Colts really should do the humane thing here and forfeit. Earn some goodwill with all NFL fans, get a two hour headstart on firing Reich, and hurt the Broncos by giving Hackett more time. Win-win-win.
Old 10-06-2022, 06:55 PM   #794
KelVarnsen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is it possible that neither team is good?
Old 10-06-2022, 07:03 PM   #795
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Broncos roster isn't terrible, but their coach is basically Adam Gase. The Colts are just abysmal.
Old 10-06-2022, 07:15 PM   #796
KelVarnsen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bears/Commies next week can’t be worse than this game. Can it?
Old 10-06-2022, 07:19 PM   #797
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

I miss last year, when the night games were guaranteed gold
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2022, 07:22 PM   #798
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

This Broncos offense is absolute ass.
Joborule is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2022, 07:40 PM   #799
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Matt Ryan is old.

GirlySports is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2022, 07:40 PM   #800
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

This is illegal. The Geneva Convention outlaws such dehumanizing torture that constitutes watching this game.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:

Tags
football , gambling , red zone