Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-25-2022, 09:08 PM   #2761
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

How terrible was next week’s SNF game that they flexed the Ravens and Steelers in?
ResAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2022, 09:08 PM   #2762
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Rams-Chargers at least offers Chargering possibilities. Steelers-Ravens is smelly.
Old 12-25-2022, 09:11 PM   #2763
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
Nah, it's definitely hilarious. Instead of ending his career two years ago with a Super Bowl win, or last year losing in one of the craziest playoff games ever, he's gonna be put to sleep by Trace McSorley and Sam Darnold.
And Purdy.

I still don't get it, what made Brady unretire and suffer? You'd think he was forced to by the mob or something.

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2022, 09:11 PM   #2764
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
Rams-Chargers at least offers Chargering possibilities.
Production crew for broadcast would've preferred so to have spent NYE in LA rather than Baltimore as well.
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2022, 09:14 PM   #2765
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Panthers-Bucs, Vikings-Packers and Dolphins-Patriots I assume were all protected so they choose a game that has "playoff" implications with rivals (even as it's two backup tier QBs playing). At least the MNF game next week is awesome on paper.

But while Brady is washed, his voodoo is not. Inevitable game winning drive now.
Old 12-25-2022, 09:17 PM   #2766
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
And Purdy.

I still don't get it, what made Brady unretire and suffer? You'd think he was forced to by the mob or something.
Rumors are his wife more or less gave him the ultimatum to stop playing and hang out at home (and had for years prior) He did so against his better judgement, and that didn't take.

Among other things that occured in that brief retirement was that he also had the Dolphins option on the table with Payton, which he had to turn down and Bucs were the easiest way back.

Things somewhat escalated from there for his probably already fragile marriage.

He will be somewhere else next year, but still playing.
Old 12-25-2022, 09:33 PM   #2767
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ugh, this piece of crap going to overtime is what no one wants.
Old 12-25-2022, 09:55 PM   #2768
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Tampa is such an unwatchable team right now. Just awful football.
calgarygeologist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2022, 10:19 PM   #2769
KelVarnsen
Franchise Player

Exp:

There has been a lot of #### games this week. And there is still one more to play.
KelVarnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2022, 07:15 AM   #2770
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

One thing I remembered about the week 18 SNF game and what it could be, is that after last year we still have the two week 18 Saturday ESPN games that "must have playoff implications". Assuming Baltimore wins this week I would assume it's a given Bengals-Ravens will be one of them, but it leaves open more possibilities for flexing games as there are potentially more than one "win and in" games in week 18.
Old 12-26-2022, 10:53 AM   #2771
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Broncos have fired Hackett.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1607433553393893376
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2022, 11:02 AM   #2772
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Combined with not being hired by the current owner, he got suckered in, by a convincing Russ Wilson, to allow Wilson to run the offense and suggest other team things like personnel, before he took a snap. Wilson sounds very convincing and smart when it comes to football, pretty akward otherwise, but execution and adaptation to defenses isn't part of his game plan strength.

It's the control Wilson wanted in Seattle, and had bits of tastes of doing, but Pete Carroll and John Schneider pulled that control back when it wasn't working as teams adapted and he couldn't. That is what started the downfall of the relationship between him and the club a few years back.

Like it or not for Wilson, Seattle properly utilized him and his skills in the offense and other talent around him these last years;..look at Geno this year, same thing...success was individual ability but also product of the Seattle system.
Old 12-26-2022, 11:03 AM   #2773
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Should have fired him after week 1 going for that 61 yard field goal.
Old 12-26-2022, 11:17 AM   #2774
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

Good, Paton can go next. Hiring Hackett combined with the Gregory and Wilson contracts should seal his fate. Burn it all down. Cut Russ, eat the 130 million dollar cap hit next year, draft first overall and get a QB and move on. Salting the earth is the only option they’ve left themselves
Old 12-26-2022, 11:32 AM   #2775
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

You have to think that they will give Wilson another shot with a different head coach in hopes that another offensive mind can get the best out of him. He can't be any worse than he's been this season.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2022, 11:36 AM   #2776
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
You have to think that they will give Wilson another shot with a different head coach in hopes that another offensive mind can get the best out of him. He can't be any worse than he's been this season.
They will, and should. He's been undoubtedly definitively humbled that's he's not as smart as he thinks he is in running an offense and will be a bit more accomdating this time when they take the keys away than he was in Seattle.

Still in excellent shape, still a strong arm, still can run...he's just got to let go of the total control factor, utlize his skills, and the proper coach will do that.
Old 12-26-2022, 11:42 AM   #2777
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

Tennessee and Jacksonville sets up to be a win and you're in game regardless of what happens in week 17. Even if its a 7-9 Titans vs an 8-8 Jags, the Titans would have a 4-2 Division record. So that could be a Saturday game since it likely has no other playoff implications other than the AFC #4 seed. But being a win and you make it for both teams... Likely Sunday Night game. Depends a bit on how this last AFC Wild Card shakes out. I could see Bengals and Ravens as a Saturday game as it's likely the winner takes the Division with #3 seed and loser is the 5 seed.

Yesterday did demonstrate how Superior a guy like McVey is to Hackett, and hence the end. Expect he'll find his way back to Green Bay. I wonder if the Broncos make a pitch for Payton, or if he's a Chargers or bust guy.

Last edited by Sylvanfan; 12-26-2022 at 11:48 AM.
Sylvanfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2022, 11:44 AM   #2778
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

I held out hope as long as I could but having Bronco games televised each week it doesn’t matter who the coach is Russ is done. He can’t read a defence, he can’t progress past his first read, he can’t throw from the pocket, and he can’t throw to the middle of the field. His teammates hate him, the fanbase has turned on him, and his personal wing at Dove Valley dedicated to his entourage should be closed immediately.

You can draft Richardson on the second day to run the same offence and a higher level of play than Russ is capable of running now for cheaper and he has the chance of progressing. If Paton hadn’t locked in the quarter billion dollar extension with Russ he would be cut after this season and rightly so. The Broncos are ####ed as long as Russ is the QB. Best case scenario for next year is he gets himself Matt Flynn’d and is the most expensive backup in league history
Old 12-26-2022, 11:50 AM   #2779
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Broncos going nuclear would be fascinating, eating $107 million in dead cap would be insane. But their best chance to go 0-17 next year was to keep Hackett, so you figure they'll give it another go with Russ and another coach. They don't even need Russ to be anything other than replacement level and they're a playoff team with that defense. But agree that Paton should have been canned too, firing Fangio to be significantly worse and being in cap hell and draft pick deficient should be instant dismissal.
Old 12-26-2022, 11:58 AM   #2780
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

We were really spoiled with Urban Meyer last year and it probably reset the bar, but Hackett’s reign was a real tour de force of failure, and should be rightly celebrated

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
football , gambling , red zone