Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-25-2022, 10:37 AM   #161
EVERLAST
Franchise Player

Location: https://homestars.com/companies/2808346-keith-my-furnace-guy
Exp:

Well ....they win again after calling them "dormant".
That's 2 and 0 when I refer to them as such .
Good to see this volcanic production.
Go Flames.
EVERLAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 10:44 AM   #162
FBI
Franchise Player

Exp:

Agree with the Zadorov comments. This guy is a thousand times better than he was at the start of the season. Skating like crazy now, not making stupid ass passes anymore and showing a little bit of offensive instinct?
Old 01-25-2022, 10:47 AM   #163
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post
It's not, it's this certified banger:

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 10:50 AM   #164
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

Zadarov surprises me with his speed every now and then, he can skate well for a big guy
Bonded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 10:51 AM   #165
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post
It's not, it's this certified banger:
The dude in green scares me, looks like he wants to eat somebody
Bonded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 10:52 AM   #166
agulati
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Here is something I never thought I'd say at the beginning of the season:

I like Nikita Zadorov.
Zadorov looked solid last night. His defensive play really stood out, in addition to his opportunities in the O-Zone. If that is what we get semi-regularly, our d-core is solid and we don't really necessarily need to tinker with it, by getting a minute muncher as is rumoured.

Give him a chance on the power play too. He definitely has a great shot.
agulati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 10:56 AM   #167
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by agulati View Post
Zadorov looked solid last night. His defensive play really stood out, in addition to his opportunities in the O-Zone. If that is what we get semi-regularly, our d-core is solid and we don't really necessarily need to tinker with it, by getting a minute muncher as is rumoured.

Give him a chance on the power play too. He definitely has a great shot.
I have found that Zadorov has improved with more exposure to Sutter. I think he brings a lot of pieces we lack on the back end, he's physical, he's got a great shot, and he's defensive minded for the most part. As he starts to cut down on the mind gaffs more and more I think he's a really intriguing player.

Hot take but I think he and Gudbranson are just as good as our other pairings.

I'd be interested in seeing Zadorov-Andersson, Hanifin-Gudbranson sometime too though.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 11:06 AM   #168
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Here is something I never thought I'd say at the beginning of the season:

I like Nikita Zadorov.
Zads had a whale of a game. He was buzzing.

Had several rushes up ice too, not to mention his snipe of all snipes.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 11:10 AM   #169
slcrocket
Backup Goalie

Exp:
icon53

Quote:
Originally Posted by activeStick View Post
I'll be damned if we didn't desperately need this man behind the bench. I don't think I've ever seen a coach remain more objective when looking at games. Sees the GAME, not the result.

I believe that this Flames team has been mentally weak for years - and while Gio was a great leader in terms of example, I don't think he provided direction. This Flames team works more than any I have seen since, well, Sutter was here last time. That level of effort with the talent that is here has made us competitive when many of us (including myself) were ready to blow this thing up without a major shakeup.
slcrocket is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to slcrocket For This Useful Post:
Old 01-25-2022, 11:18 AM   #170
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Was at the game last night and it was as one sided as the score suggested. The Blues were completely flat and even after the timeout, it did absolutely nothing, the Flames still peppered Binnington with shots and gave up nothing until the 3rd when the Blues started trying a little bit more.

The Flames honestly could’ve had more than 10 with some of the glorious chances they had last night. It was kind of funny watching some of the snake bitten players like Mangiapane and Dube trying desperately to get off the schneid. I think they knew if there was an easy night to finally snap their streaks, that yesterday was it.

Big win against a damn good team. But the Blues don’t play another opponent until the Flames again and I suspect they’ll be colossally pissed off and will throw everything at the Flames on Thursday. So hopefully the boys expect a much stiffer test in St Louis.
Classic_Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 11:22 AM   #171
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Also, was it that the hits were bigger or the boards/glass need an adjustment? A few of the hits thrown (Gudbranson in particular) looked like they were going to knock the panes off the boards.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 11:27 AM   #172
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by slcrocket View Post
I'll be damned if we didn't desperately need this man behind the bench. I don't think I've ever seen a coach remain more objective when looking at games. Sees the GAME, not the result.

I believe that this Flames team has been mentally weak for years - and while Gio was a great leader in terms of example, I don't think he provided direction. This Flames team works more than any I have seen since, well, Sutter was here last time. That level of effort with the talent that is here has made us competitive when many of us (including myself) were ready to blow this thing up without a major shakeup.
Is it even fair to pin that on Gio? The turnaround of this team didn’t even start this season, it started last season in my opinion. The final 16 games of last season was when the tide turned and Gio was one of the 2 main components driving that change. I actually thought he was the single best individual player in that stretch and the stats prove it. He was an absolute machine and I guarantee Darryl would love to have Gio back in the fold.

Darryl’s not the kind of coach who just gives minutes away easily, you have to earn it and he was playing Gio 26-27 minutes a night. He had 6 dmen to choose from and yet he was playing Gio for basically half the game. I think Gio will be back at some point in the near future, there’s too much synergy between the coach and the player and Gio’s agent pretty much admitted that to be the case on the radio a few weeks ago.
Old 01-25-2022, 11:29 AM   #173
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Zadorov is a first round pick and is only 26....guy can play. If he puts it all together consistently watch out.

We shouldn't just assume someone can't skate because they are big
Old 01-25-2022, 11:29 AM   #174
Lanny'sDaMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

"Darryl’s not the kind of coach who just gives minutes away easily, you have to earn it and he was playing Gio 26-27 minutes a night. He had 6 dmen to choose from and yet he was playing Gio for basically half the game. I think Gio will be back at some point in the near future, there’s too much synergy between the coach and the player and Gio’s agent pretty much admitted that to be the case on the radio a few weeks ago."

DO you have a link for this? Thats's something I would like to read/listen to
Lanny'sDaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 11:34 AM   #175
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanny'sDaMan View Post
"Darryl’s not the kind of coach who just gives minutes away easily, you have to earn it and he was playing Gio 26-27 minutes a night. He had 6 dmen to choose from and yet he was playing Gio for basically half the game. I think Gio will be back at some point in the near future, there’s too much synergy between the coach and the player and Gio’s agent pretty much admitted that to be the case on the radio a few weeks ago."

DO you have a link for this? Thats's something I would like to read/listen to
https://www.sportsnet.ca/960/big-sho...-ritch-winter/

Question starts around 27:50.
The Following User Says Thank You to Classic_Sniper For This Useful Post:
Old 01-25-2022, 11:35 AM   #176
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Do not bring Gio back.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 11:36 AM   #177
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icantwhisper View Post
Flames also got away with a trip that lead directly to the sixth goal
You probably want to watch that entire play again

Also, the schedule has ####ing sucked

Flames about to play 21 of 26 at home...that is the most home games in a 26 game stretch in the history of the league.

But I am a big homer for saying the schedule has been terrible so far lol. Flames did well with yet another one game homestand last night.
Old 01-25-2022, 11:37 AM   #178
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Gio moved on and the team forged its own identity without their former captain. Bringing him back, not in that same role and either giving him minutes already earned by other D like Kylington or asking him to play a lesser role yet still being a bit of a shadow hanging over the room is a big mistake. Might seem like the perfect fit but its not. It would end up being a distraction that no one would admit as being one out of respect.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 11:40 AM   #179
savardandjokinen
son of looooob

Exp:

Zadorov was considered a #4 guy before the season. If he can keep up this play and be a #4 type guy on the 3rd pairing then we’re automatically deeper
savardandjokinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 11:43 AM   #180
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
Do not bring Gio back.
Gio would help this team. I know he’s 38 and people think he’s physically done, but Gio was an absolute force under Darryl and Sutter loves Gio. Ritch Winter pretty much confirms that there’s mutual admiration between both sides and the usage speaks louder than words.

In Darryl’s system, Gio can thrive because it hides his biggest fault as a hockey player. The way Ward had the team checking, it was not ideal for the way this team is built. Maybe for a roster like Vegas, but not the slow as molasses Flames. Under Sutter though, the D have so much more back support and they can step up and make plays which really leverages Gio’s decision making and instincts more which is still at an extremely high level.

Did people not see the Seattle games this season? Gio can still play. He practically willed the Kraken to victory on his own. You don’t think Darryl saw that and said “I could use that guy.”

Tags
e=ng , edmonton is no good