Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 11-12-2021, 08:38 AM   #41
OptimalTates
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

He's a terrible human being. If the lead up to the shooting doesn't convince you, him posting bail and celebrating with 3 percenters and Proud Boys with his "I'm ####ing free" shirt and throwing up racist signs (as stupid as the sign is) has to.

But I can't see him being found guilty.

Let's just hope Ahmaud Arbery trial goes better because that would be a travesty to let those racist hicks off for the lynching.
OptimalTates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021, 08:41 AM   #42
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanny_McDonald View Post
Rittenhouse was NOT the gun owner. As a 17 year old he was not eligible to own the rifle and his parent would have been the legal gun owner. He also crossed state lines with a firearm. While Wisconsin is a reciprocity state, honoring the licenses of other states, they only do so for permit holder over the age of 21. Wisconsin bans 17 year olds from possessing a firearm. So I do believe that Rittenhouse, in breaking these two laws, has also made himself subject to breaking a federal law pertaining to the interstate transport of a firearm. Rittenhouse admitted to all of these actions.
It was his gun, not his parents. He had an older friend purchase it for him and luckily that dummy is facing two felony charges as well. It was actually that friend that talked Rittenhouse into going to the protests as well. Shame info on that trial is harder to come by

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanny_McDonald View Post
Rittenhouse claims he was going to Kenosha to protect property and act as a medic. Rittenhouse was neither trained to protect property nor contracted to protect property by the owners, meaning his presence on any property would have been trespassing, the same for all at the protest. Rittenhouse had left his "protective position" and entered the fray. Rittenhouse was also not a trained medic nor did he ever try and help anyone at the protest by giving aid, even while given ample opportunity.
I partially blame social media for this as well. Apparently, the owner of the car dealership asked for the public's help defending his business and the result was this ####### militia group that organized on Facebook showing up to do it. That's why Rittenhouse and his buddy Black were even there
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021, 08:47 AM   #43
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
It was his gun, not his parents. He had an older friend purchase it for him and luckily that dummy is facing two felony charges as well. It was actually that friend that talked Rittenhouse into going to the protests as well. Shame info on that trial is harder to come by

I partially blame social media for this as well. Apparently, the owner of the car dealership asked for the public's help defending his business and the result was this ####### militia group that organized on Facebook showing up to do it. That's why Rittenhouse and his buddy Black were even there
I don't believe this is your intention, but it looks like you are placing a lot of blame elsewhere than with Rittenhouse.

He wanted the rifle.
He wanted to go to the riots with the rifle.

Sadly I do think he will get off, but I don't think we should be shifting all this blame.

His made conscious decisions to be at the riot armed.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.

Last edited by undercoverbrother; 11-12-2021 at 08:51 AM.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021, 08:53 AM   #44
Hockey_Ninja

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by speede5 View Post
You think it's toxic now wait til the verdict comes down.
Oh I’m prepared. But it’ll eventually die down
Old 11-12-2021, 08:53 AM   #45
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 81MC View Post
What a remarkable material misrepresentation of the situation.

Witnesses confirm the first guy said he would kill him. Video clearly shows a pretty intense chase, where the guy who got shot is actively running down the the defendant. This wasn’t some guy tossing plastic bag at someone and getting blow away for it, holy ####.

There’s also clear video of a this guy being outnumbered, on his back, and someone swinging a skateboard at his head. You know, essentially a 3 foot lever with a few pounds of steel on the end of it. That’s no joke.

And, as pointed our already, one guy had a gun pointed at his head during the same situation.

Yeah, plastic bag. Can’t imagine why rationale discourse has disappeared.
I apologize for my sh1tty use if sarcasm. I know that weapons were used against Rittenhouse.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021, 08:54 AM   #46
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
I don't believe this is your intention, but it looks like you are placing a lot of blame elsewhere than with Rittenhouse.

He wanted the rifle.

Sadly I do think he should get off, but I don't think we should be shifting all this blame.

Absolutely, but does nobody else see how scary this thing is as a whole? And how this trial isn’t going to help anything!

What’s that line from Jojo rabbit? “You aren’t a nazi, you’re a boy who wants to dress in a silly costume and be a part of a club”. The guy is a product of the environment that has been created, and the wedge is being driven deeper and deeper. Villianizing him (at all costs mind you, his crying face is now the most popular meme out there) as the primary focus isn’t going to do anything. I’m worried about that country.

I’m sure as #### not defending him being there at all, especially armed. And I’m not expecting people to feel sympathy for him.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021, 08:57 AM   #47
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

Interesting thread. Getting powerful defending George Zimmerman vibes. It’s curious to see how the letter of the law and common sense don’t intersect.

To me as a simple man I would think if you show up with an AR15 looking for trouble, find said trouble, and then two people end up dead and another injured, why should you be absolved from the repercussions?
ResAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to ResAlien For This Useful Post:
Old 11-12-2021, 08:57 AM   #48
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

He wanted the rifle.

Sadly I do think he should get off, but I don't think we should be shifting all this blame.

Definitely not my intention. I think this guy is an absolute scumbag. I just hate some of the rhetoric around it and that a lot of the attention seems to be the typical left vs right BS. Some people seem to think he should go to jail simply because he's a right-wing nutjob, the only thing I mean to defend here is that while that's deplorable, that isn't against the law.

My big fear at the moment regarding this story is that if he is indeed found not guilty that he'll then be treated like some kind of hero by the extreme right. We've already seen it sadly.
No matter how this goes the wedge gets driven deeper
The Following User Says Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 11-12-2021, 09:05 AM   #49
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
My big fear at the moment regarding this story is that if he is indeed found not guilty that he'll then be treated like some kind of hero by the extreme right. We've already seen it sadly.
It doesn't matter what the verdict is:

Guilty - he becomes a martyr
Not Guilty - he becomes a hero

If this piece of #### didn't want to be in this position or the position he was found himself in that night he should have stayed home.

#### him and #### this mess he has made.

Quote:
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 11-12-2021, 09:08 AM   #50
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:

If this piece of #### didn't want to be in this position or the position he was found himself in that night he should have stayed home.

The best thing that could have happened was to not make him a national spectacle.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 11-12-2021, 09:09 AM   #51
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Just out of curiosity, and I know this isn't what you're saying, but does this work both ways? Are the people that he shot also to blame for being there and putting themselves in that situation as well?
Old 11-12-2021, 09:18 AM   #52
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Just out of curiosity, and I know this isn't what you're saying, but does this work both ways? Are the people that he shot also to blame for being there and putting themselves in that situation as well?
Yes potentially they are to blame, however they have paid their price for being their with their lives and the after affects of being shot.

That being said the rioters being out their rioting and out of control doesn't excuse Rittenhouse for being their armed. Part of me thinks he got what he wanted, a confrontation.

Vigilantism isn't helpful, ever. It only creates a ####ing mess, which is what we have here.

The police force should be the ones dealing with rioters and civil disobedience (let's keep that topic and discussion for another day).

Quote:
Old 11-12-2021, 09:19 AM   #53
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
The best thing that could have happened was to not make him a national spectacle.
This is America.......................

Actually the best thing that could have happened was that he stayed home where he should have been.

Quote:
Old 11-12-2021, 09:22 AM   #54
Flabbibulin
Franchise Player

Exp:

So the survivor of the shooting, who was also carrying a gun, was asked why he was carrying at a protest, and his response was probably about the same as what Rittenhouse would say- "because its my right, simple as that"...

The issue is simple and it doesn't matter what one's political affiliations or ideas are- young men, raging with testosterone, are able to freely carry weapons on the street. In the heat of the moment and in a frenzy, it doesn't matter what their brains know will be the consequence of pulling the trigger- they are going to do so. Take the GD weapons away.

Had a kick or punch fallen in a slightly different way and Rittenhouse lost grip of his gun, it would have gone down the other way, with Rittenhouse dead and the survivor on trial.
Flabbibulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021, 09:29 AM   #55
Red Slinger
First Line Centre

Exp:

Rittenhouse was 17 at the time of the killings. That doesn't absolve him at all, but at that age most people are idiots (that does not absolve him). The real issue is the system that allows (or encourages) this to happen. The relationship that the US has with guns, power, violence and crime is demented.
Red Slinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021, 09:34 AM   #56
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Slinger View Post
Rittenhouse was 17 at the time of the killings. That doesn't absolve him at all, but at that age most people are idiots (that does not absolve him). The real issue is the system that allows (or encourages) this to happen. The relationship that the US has with guns, power, violence and crime is demented.
If a 20 yr old killing 20 children between the ages of 6 & 7 doesn't cause change, this sure as #### won't.

Quote:
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 11-12-2021, 09:36 AM   #57
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Definitely not my intention. I think this guy is an absolute scumbag. I just hate some of the rhetoric around it and that a lot of the attention seems to be the typical left vs right BS. Some people seem to think he should go to jail simply because he's a right-wing nutjob, the only thing I mean to defend here is that while that's deplorable, that isn't against the law.

Of course no matter what happens its going to be a left right lightning rod

If he's found guilty. The hard right is going to see this as an assault of individual freedom and gun rights by a corrupt court doing the guberments bidding. The Left I guess, will be justice is done, this needs to happen everytime.

If he's innocent. - the hard right gun lobby will show this as a triumph of gun rights and right of self defence. The left will be angry at the courts no matter what the reason.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021, 09:38 AM   #58
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Pharmacist View Post
If you bring an assault rifle to riot, there's no real self defense anymore. You're a willing combatant at that point
Lots of people at the riot had firearms, including one of the people Rittenhouse shot. Were they all combatants? According to Wisconsin law they weren’t. Though once a riot reaches the torching buildings phase, the risk of violence to everyone involved - including lethal violence - goes way up. Participants who don’t want to expose themselves to that risk should take that as a cue to leave the streets to the mobs of young men looking for trouble.

Last edited by CliffFletcher; 11-12-2021 at 09:51 AM.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021, 09:43 AM   #59
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
I think most people would agree he shouldn’t have been there. That doesn’t erase a self defence verdict. I’m not a lawyer but the entire case should have been based around him travelling with, and carrying a weapon illegally.

Even less to do with “loving the attention”, how does someone is his position not seek support and safety from right wing extremists with half the nation calling for his head?. This entire thing is a #### up.
Isn't the alternative to just lay low? After a week or two things would die down and he'd go on with life.
PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021, 09:44 AM   #60
Macman
Self Imposed Retirement

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Slinger View Post
The adult was his Mom who drove him there.
Macman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
guns , kenoshawisconsin , usa