Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
What would you do?

April - 1st AZ
April - positive for covid
June - 1st Pfizer
September - 2nd Pfizer

Booster? I don't think I qualify until February anyway (5 months post last dose). Pharmacist in Calgary told friend with same history, minus the covid, that the 3rd shot was the booster and she didn't need another one. Vaccination nurse in Saskatchewan told my brother (same history, minus covid) that he did need a booster because shot 2 and 3 were too close together.

Curious to hear what others think of the situation.

I am exactly the same timing as you, without the COVID positivity. I don't intent to get another shot until I am eligible in February. I don't understand the Saskatchewan nurse's comment, the timing was totally fine.
Canadianman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 12:15 PM   #1102
csnarpy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Yesterday booked mine and my wife's boosters in High River for today. Also booked my daughter for her 2nd in 2 weeks.

Pretty seamless imo. don't mind the drive at all - we will prob hit Okotoks Costco on the way back.

Lots of appointments out of the city available, even same day. From what i saw.
csnarpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 05:09 PM   #1103
Julio
First Line Centre

Exp:

https://twitter.com/jkwan_md/status/...831369/photo/1

In case folks aren't sure about the positives of vaccinations.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Julio For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2022, 05:06 PM   #1104
Drak
First Line Centre

Exp:

Boosted with Moderna as of 2 hours ago. So far feeling ok.
Drak is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Drak For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2022, 09:43 AM   #1105
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Had my Moderna booster on Friday. Had only a headache that appeared within an hour of getting the shot which was surprising as I thought it typically comes later if at all, but it was mild and was gone by the time I went to bed that evening. Sore arm the day after but that disappeared on Sunday. I had AZ, Moderna, Moderna boost.
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 04:07 PM   #1106
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm thinking I might have picked up a delayed skin reaction to the booster shot described in this article:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/brucele...h=ee3980164799

I got it on the 5th and this past weekend started noticing hives starting Friday night with my armpits. I thought maybe my deodorant might have just irritated my skin but Saturday afternoon the back of my forearms started to breakout and when I woke up Sunday morning they were from my upper thighs to my chest. The only thing that I'm aware of being allergic to is latex and I'm super cautious about being around it and in the past it's more just made my eyes water.

I ended up going to the hospital Monday morning and the doctor just told me to use Benadryl since they can't tell me what triggered it. It helps but it doesn't completely get rid of the itch. The weird thing about it is it moves around. Right now I feel it on my thighs and slightly on my hands and armpits. Heat seems to affect it too. When I went to bed last night really just my hands tingled but when I woke up an hour later my arms and in between my legs were itchy where they would have been touching together as I slept.
Inferno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 07:00 PM   #1107
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
I'm thinking I might have picked up a delayed skin reaction to the booster shot described in this article:

I got it on the 5th and this past weekend started noticing hives starting Friday night with my armpits. I thought maybe my deodorant might have just irritated my skin but Saturday afternoon the back of my forearms started to breakout and when I woke up Sunday morning they were from my upper thighs to my chest. The only thing that I'm aware of being allergic to is latex and I'm super cautious about being around it and in the past it's more just made my eyes water.

I ended up going to the hospital Monday morning and the doctor just told me to use Benadryl since they can't tell me what triggered it. It helps but it doesn't completely get rid of the itch. The weird thing about it is it moves around. Right now I feel it on my thighs and slightly on my hands and armpits. Heat seems to affect it too. When I went to bed last night really just my hands tingled but when I woke up an hour later my arms and in between my legs were itchy where they would have been touching together as I slept.
My friend got covid a couple days ago and has hives from it. Maybe you have covid?
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 07:43 PM   #1108
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyguy15 View Post
My friend got covid a couple days ago and has hives from it. Maybe you have covid?
I think the hospital would have had me get tested if they thought it could be Covid. They did have me sit in the isolation area until someone came to interview me because a rash is a symptom and I thought they might ask me to get tested but they didn't.
Old 01-20-2022, 09:13 AM   #1109
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I think the hospital would have had me get tested if they thought it could be Covid. They did have me sit in the isolation area until someone came to interview me because a rash is a symptom and I thought they might ask me to get tested but they didn't.
No change in soap, shampoo or laundry detergent recently?
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 12:44 PM   #1110
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was chatting with a guy who was terrified of Covid, but somehow hasn't gotten the vaccine. It was super bizarre and I still cannot understand his reasoning at all. Something odd along the lines of, "I cannot afford to get sick or get a severe reaction and stop working." I guess maybe I'll have to chalk it up to some explanation full of BS but with perhaps some form of a legitimate root of fear of the vaccination (ie: needles) or something?

After chatting with him yesterday about a mutual friend of who was a close contact of someone, he rushed out and got his first dose yesterday. He's been bitching all morning about how he feels like he got run over by a car.

Umm.. but, yay for another person off the list of the unvaccinated!?
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DoubleF For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2022, 05:54 PM   #1111
Frequitude
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well Omicron finally got me this week before I could get boosted. Felt pretty much like a bad flu with a bit of hangover thrown in for about 2.5 days. Hopefully my PCR test from this morning still comes back positive.

Is there a general guideline to how long I should wait to get boosted?
Frequitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 06:04 PM   #1112
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by activeStick View Post
No change in soap, shampoo or laundry detergent recently?
Nope, nothing that hasn't been used for a while already. The only other thing I could think of is maybe I have a UTI since I'm prone to getting them having Spina Bifida but the nurse who interviewed me said UTIs don't normally cause hives.

I decided this morning to go to the testing clinic anyway just to be safe since I noticed my legs were more sore and the lump in my throat felt like it could be turning into a sore throat. They gave me a rapid test kit to take home and the first one came back negative so we'll see how it goes tomorrow.
Old 01-21-2022, 09:44 AM   #1113
brocoli
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frequitude View Post
Well Omicron finally got me this week before I could get boosted. Felt pretty much like a bad flu with a bit of hangover thrown in for about 2.5 days. Hopefully my PCR test from this morning still comes back positive.

Hey Frequitude. I was in the same boat once I had COVID. Government of AB says that you can get boosted as soon as your quarantine is complete, however studies that I found while googling this over my bout show it's beneficial to wait 30 days before the booster. Take it for what's it worth, but I'm waiting the 30 (booster next Saturday!)
brocoli is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to brocoli For This Useful Post:
Old 02-04-2022, 11:54 PM   #1114
opendoor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not great news re: Omicron boosters. This is an animal study, so it's not necessarily how it'll play out in humans, but it found that an Omicron-specific booster actually produced fewer antibodies capable of neutralizing Omicron than just using another dose of the original vaccine (which we know has limited duration of protection against Omicron). There are probably 2 likely possibilities for why that's happening:

1) Omicron is so divergent from the other variants that a single dose isn't enough to generate a good response.

2) Our immune response is sort of locked in to the first exposure and will tend to favor that even in the face of other variants. That's known as "imprinting" or "original antigenic sin".

Unfortunately, if #2 is the case, it's also going to apply to infections (possibly even more so), which means that the immunity generated from infections that we're seeing right now might not be as robust as it was in prior waves.

https://www.biorxiv.org/content/10.1....479037v1?s=08
opendoor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to opendoor For This Useful Post:
Old 02-05-2022, 11:10 AM   #1115
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

A sample size of 8 also really limits the above preprint study's predictive power.

Quote:
428 Rhesus macaque model and immunizations

All experiments conducted according to NIH regulations and standards on the humane care and use of laboratory animals as well as the Animal Care and Use Committees of the NIH Vaccine Research Center and BIOQUAL, Inc. (Rockville, Maryland). All studies were conducted at BIOQUAL, Inc. Four- to eight-year-old rhesus macaques of Indian origin were stratified into groups based on sex, age and weight. Eight macaques were immunized with mRNA-1273 at weeks 0 and 4 with a dose of 100μg delivered intramuscularly in 1mL of formulated lipid nanoparticles diluted in phosphate-buffered saline (PBS) into the right quadricep as previously described (Corbett et al., 2020; Corbett et al., 2021c; Gagne et al., 2022). At week 41 (~9 months after the second immunization), the eight macaques were split into two groups of 4 and boosted with 50μg mRNA-1273 or 50μg of mRNA-Omicron. Animals in the control group were immunized with 50μg control mRNA at the time of the boost.

Last edited by TorqueDog; 02-05-2022 at 11:14 AM.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2022, 05:19 PM   #1116
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I know this is a couple weeks old now but NACI has just released new guidance on boosters for infected people. They are recommending waiting 3 months after infection.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/health/naci-...line-1.6339465

Last edited by calgarygeologist; 02-05-2022 at 06:21 PM.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2022, 06:14 PM   #1117
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by brocoli View Post
Hey Frequitude. I was in the same boat once I had COVID. Government of AB says that you can get boosted as soon as your quarantine is complete, however studies that I found while googling this over my bout show it's beneficial to wait 30 days before the booster. Take it for what's it worth, but I'm waiting the 30 (booster next Saturday!)
A sign up at my local pharmacy said the same thing, wait 30 days.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2022, 10:04 AM   #1118
Regorium
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

Hey just wanted to say I'm dealing with the same thing. Booster on Dec 28th (3x Moderna), hives everywhere Jan 7... And this continued rash/hives with pressure til now even after taking oral steroids and still on antihistamines. No known allergies or anything before this and no changes in environment or diet.

It really hasn't improved at all in the past month but just managing through with prescription antihistamines.
Regorium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2022, 10:59 AM   #1119
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regorium View Post
Hey just wanted to say I'm dealing with the same thing. Booster on Dec 28th (3x Moderna), hives everywhere Jan 7... And this continued rash/hives with pressure til now even after taking oral steroids and still on antihistamines. No known allergies or anything before this and no changes in environment or diet.

It really hasn't improved at all in the past month but just managing through with prescription antihistamines.
I stopped breaking out into body hives about a week after. I still get random itching and if I keep scratching an area it will turn into hives but it's better than it was.

Probably the most annoying thing is the palm of my hands and the outside of my thumb will get itching and my fingers will get kind of achy. Because of that I asked to get blood work just to rule out something like diabetes. I wont hear back though for another week unless the doctor contacts me sooner.
Old 02-08-2022, 09:48 AM   #1120
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

What’s up with the booking site? Saying I’m ineligible to book my third dose of Pfizer? Anyone have this issue?
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote