Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-05-2022, 11:02 AM   #1021
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
The downside to getting a shot right away is that it doesn't give your immune system the "learning" time in between. My friend's landlord who is a "covid doctor" (whatever that means) told her to get her booster 4 months after she recovers from covid.
I'm taking my wife's word but she says there is no information on the AHS website in this regard which is why we have kept the appointments. Don't really want to give them up at this point as it sounds like they are hard to come by now.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2022, 11:35 AM   #1022
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
I'm mostly curious what CP thinks on this, and I expect that this will be a growing issue going forward (to be clear...I'm not actually asking for medical advice from a bunch of strangers!). I'm home isolating with Covid, most likely Omicron. I haven't got my booster, and the question is "should I bother?" Here are my pros/cons to getting the booster.
I’d get boosted, Vic, but good on you for considering others.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MoneyGuy For This Useful Post:
Old 01-05-2022, 11:38 AM   #1023
looooob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
The downside to getting a shot right away is that it doesn't give your immune system the "learning" time in between. My friend's landlord who is a "covid doctor" (whatever that means) told her to get her booster 4 months after she recovers from covid.
probably (or I hope it) means they are treating covid patients or otherwise think about COVID a lot in their practice ( ID, ICU, medical COVID wards)

of course in 2022 it could also mean that they are just a smartass with access to google
looooob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2022, 11:39 AM   #1024
keenan87
Franchise Player

Exp:

Any insight on where to get rapid test kits? Or any news of more Pfizer deliveries? Thanks in advance
keenan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2022, 11:40 AM   #1025
Amethyst
First Line Centre

Exp:

She's a real doctor. I'm just not sure if she's a family doctor who sees lots of covid patients, or someone more specialized.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2022, 02:30 PM   #1026
Knut

Exp:

Cases of Myocarditis among 5-11 year olds is an order of magnitude smaller than the 12-29 year old group.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1478802935475806211

12 cases among 8.67 M doses given.
Knut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2022, 02:33 PM   #1027
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nice, I wonder if that is mostly due to the smaller dose size?

Also interesting it is much higher in the second dose. I had assumed if you were going to have a reaction, it would happen with the first one.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2022, 02:36 PM   #1028
Knut

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Nice, I wonder if that is mostly due to the smaller dose size?

Also interesting it is much higher in the second dose. I had assumed if you were going to have a reaction, it would happen with the first one.
Second one is actually more common. Also, it is postulated that lower testosterone levels contribute as well.

Interval is recommended to be 8 weeks as there is a higher risk at 3 week interval in 12-29 group.
Old 01-06-2022, 02:47 PM   #1029
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

My daughter has one shot, and is scheduled to get her second at 8 weeks. She tested positive (asymptomatic) between shots however. Should I keep the timeline the same?

I got boosted yesterday. Previously had gotten Pfizer, but got Moderna for a booster. Holy hell did that kick my ass. Uncontrollable shivering, sweats, and on the verge of vomiting for most of the night.
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 03:21 PM   #1030
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan87 View Post
Any insight on where to get rapid test kits? Or any news of more Pfizer deliveries? Thanks in advance
Pfizer must be coming in. The Rexall in my work building had a sign up that they received a shipment today.
I'm in Edmonton, but assuming all locations are likely getting theirs soon.
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GordonBlue For This Useful Post:
Old 01-06-2022, 04:29 PM   #1031
Amethyst
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Bumface View Post
My daughter has one shot, and is scheduled to get her second at 8 weeks. She tested positive (asymptomatic) between shots however. Should I keep the timeline the same?

I got boosted yesterday. Previously had gotten Pfizer, but got Moderna for a booster. Holy hell did that kick my ass. Uncontrollable shivering, sweats, and on the verge of vomiting for most of the night.
I would delay it. Her infection should give her some immunity afterwards so it's not so urgent. Do it at least 8 weeks from when she tested positive which seems to be better for helping the immune system learn. Although in the US, I think for awhile they were recommending waiting 90 days after infection to get vaccinated.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Amethyst For This Useful Post:
Old 01-06-2022, 04:39 PM   #1032
Duruss
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Gah, I have symptoms and my coach managed to give me two rapid tests. Well the first time I tried to swab my throat and it did not go well. Got a negative on thar test, but I went and reviewed a video and tried again, still negative but I did sneeze ten times pernostril so that was a thing.

Now have to got to my local clinic for a real test at 7:20, but that one can tell me if its covid, influenza, or a reg cold. I apparently have to wait 2-3 days to get a result though. Glad I got my booster back in mid December.

Last edited by Duruss; 01-06-2022 at 04:40 PM. Reason: Spelling
Duruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 04:51 PM   #1033
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Some people in Calgary are desperate for the booster standing outside 2+ hours in -30C weather for it. It wasn't fun. But I'd do it again in a heart beat because I'd take that momentary discomfort over the alternative possibility.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DoubleF For This Useful Post:
Old 01-07-2022, 09:26 PM   #1034
Knut

Exp:

Moved my kids second doses up two weeks.

One wrinkle is that if you child is a close contact to someone Covid positive they have to isolate for 14 days. If they are vaccinated. Only 5.

If they are positive it’s 5 + 5 days with a mask.
Old 01-07-2022, 11:20 PM   #1035
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knut View Post
Moved my kids second doses up two weeks.

One wrinkle is that if you child is a close contact to someone Covid positive they have to isolate for 14 days. If they are vaccinated. Only 5.

If they are positive it’s 5 + 5 days with a mask.
Did you change it to less than 8 weeks? No issues booking that?
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2022, 11:56 PM   #1036
Barnes
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizaro86 View Post
You can do it. We opted for 5 weeks. At the appointment they’ll remind you that the recommendation is 8 weeks and ask if they are immunocompromised or is it for travel.

I said just want to get it done and she said ‘so for travel’. Yeah, maybe.. sure. travel.
Barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Barnes For This Useful Post:
Old 01-08-2022, 12:02 AM   #1037
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnes View Post
You can do it. We opted for 5 weeks. At the appointment they’ll remind you that the recommendation is 8 weeks and ask if they are immunocompromised or is it for travel.

I said just want to get it done and she said ‘so for travel’. Yeah, maybe.. sure. travel.
We did the same (10 year old, 5 weeks after first dose) and can confirm that there were no issues with booking or at the clinic. I even said straight up that it wasn’t travel or being immunocompromised, but that Omicron is going to make things messy pretty quickly here, and we’d like it sooner. No issues whatsoever.
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jimmy Stang For This Useful Post:
Old 01-08-2022, 12:17 AM   #1038
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

US Army is getting into the act, now in trial 1

US-Armys-super-vaccine/
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2022, 07:44 PM   #1039
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by d00little View Post
Pfizer/Pfizer/Moderna showed higher antibody levels than Pfizer/Pfizer/Pfizer, so mixing has proven to be a good thing in many studies. I went with a Moderna booster for my first 2 Pfizer in mid December when everything was still easily available.
My wife & just got ours in Vancouver and did this as well. They were giving people the choice here at the convention centre.
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2022, 10:57 PM   #1040
#-3
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
I booked my kids at 53 days, 7.6 weeks. Didn't give me issues, all that's left to do is wait 13 more days now.
#-3 is offline   Reply With Quote