Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-02-2022, 03:06 PM   #1001
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Coke View Post
Thanks for this info. I went to book my daughters second, and there are no appointments past January 25, which is when the 8 week interval begins for kids who got their first dose right away. My daughter would be 2 days short of 8 weeks, and we want it for travel purposes.

I guess I’ll make the appointment based on your info. Thanks.
The nurse also mentioned that the old Greyhound site is coming back online "soon" to deal with the demand for boosters. Not sure if pediatric doses will be available there, but even shifting some of the adults away from the other sites might help increase availability. When I was there on Dec. 31st, it was mostly adults and just a few kids.

Also, the site let me keep my original 8 week booking (which I have since cancelled) as well as my sooner booking. So I didn't have to relinquish my later one until I knew that the earlier one would be successful.

Good luck! Feel free to PM if you feel the need, but I think I've said everything I know so far.
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jimmy Stang For This Useful Post:
Old 01-02-2022, 03:12 PM   #1002
Nancy
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

So, is anyone born in 2004 now eligible for a booster, or is this going by the actual DOB? This may sound like a dumb question, but in previous rounds of vaccination, they went by birth year.
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2022, 03:35 PM   #1003
Macman
Self Imposed Retirement

Exp:

n/m

Last edited by Macman; 01-03-2022 at 08:41 AM.
Macman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2022, 10:45 AM   #1004
IliketoPuck
Franchise Player

Exp:

Question for the learned.

What, if any, is the difference in efficacy of various mixed doses?

My first does was Moderna, second was Pfizer. The local pharmacy I go to is currently doing Moderna boosters.

Is there any advantage/disadvantage to that three dose program?

"I am actually more excited for the Oilers game tomorrow than the Flames game. I am praying for multiple jersey tosses. The Oilers are my new favourite team for all the wrong reasons. I hate them so much I love them."
IliketoPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2022, 10:47 AM   #1005
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by IliketoPuck View Post

My first does was Moderna, second was Pfizer. The local pharmacy I go to is currently doing Moderna boosters.

Hinshaw has been saying we should get the vaccine that’s available, not to try to choose or to wait for a different vaccine.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2022, 11:13 AM   #1006
Amethyst
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

Your doses are already mixed, so I doubt that Pfizer versus Moderna for the third will matter.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2022, 11:48 AM   #1007
IliketoPuck
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yea, I'm going to go get it, was more so wondering what the overall efficacy of that combination was.

"I am actually more excited for the Oilers game tomorrow than the Flames game. I am praying for multiple jersey tosses. The Oilers are my new favourite team for all the wrong reasons. I hate them so much I love them."
IliketoPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2022, 12:06 PM   #1008
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Got my booster yesterday afternoon (3rd round of Moderna), and yesterday was fine. But last night I woke up freezing and had to go grab more blankets, then an hour later I woke up in a sweat and dumped all the blankets. I've been swinging between hot and cold since, though it doesn't seem to be as bad as the 2nd Moderna dose was
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2022, 12:07 PM   #1009
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
Got my booster yesterday afternoon (3rd round of Moderna), and yesterday was fine. But last night I woke up freezing and had to go grab more blankets, then an hour later I woke up in a sweat and dumped all the blankets. I've been swinging between hot and cold since, though it doesn't seem to be as bad as the 2nd Moderna dose was
Sounds like you may have caught menopause.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 01-03-2022, 12:14 PM   #1010
d00little
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:

Pfizer/Pfizer/Moderna showed higher antibody levels than Pfizer/Pfizer/Pfizer, so mixing has proven to be a good thing in many studies. I went with a Moderna booster for my first 2 Pfizer in mid December when everything was still easily available.
d00little is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to d00little For This Useful Post:
Old 01-03-2022, 12:22 PM   #1011
Zarley
First Line Centre

Exp:

Booked my booster through the government's website and I'm impressed with the updates they've made to the booking system. It was a smooth and painless process.
Zarley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2022, 12:41 PM   #1012
Ironhorse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarley View Post
Booked my booster through the government's website and I'm impressed with the updates they've made to the booking system. It was a smooth and painless process.

Hopefully you won’t get a last minute cancellation notice like so many others have...
Ironhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2022, 07:10 PM   #1013
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Was able to do a walk-in booster yesterday afternoon at the Shoppers in Seton. I had Pfizer then 2 Moderna. The first Pfizer was just really bad arm pain for a few days. Moderna was no arm pain but felt like crap roughly 24hrs after the shot. The third dose is arm pain and I have been feeling like garbage for the past 2-3 hours. So tired and don’t feel like eating.
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2022, 09:15 AM   #1014
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm mostly curious what CP thinks on this, and I expect that this will be a growing issue going forward (to be clear...I'm not actually asking for medical advice from a bunch of strangers!). I'm home isolating with Covid, most likely Omicron. I haven't got my booster, and the question is "should I bother?" Here are my pros/cons to getting the booster:

Cons:

- I've already got Covid, so getting a booster to prevent this seems pointless
- Increased risk of vaccine injury
- Takes a spot away from someone else who could potentially benefit

Pros

- I want to travel, and having the booster seems like it will be required
- what I see as the probable addition of the booster to the vaccine passport
- the only "proof" I have for the natural immunity is my rapid test, which is rather tenuous

Like I say, I expect this to come up more frequently in the coming weeks as more and more people are infected with Omicron, diagnosed with rapid tests and in the vast majority who have not yet had their boosters. So, I thought that I'd bring it up here as a topic of conversation.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2022, 09:24 AM   #1015
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I figure you are best to get it as soon as you qualify, because who knows what the next round will look like, and then you won't be behind on a 4th dose if it somehow is needed to prevent a more severe strain.

I assume the risk of vaccine injury is extremely low if you didn't have issues with previous doses, but that's just a guess. I'm sure their is some science to find on that.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 01-05-2022, 09:27 AM   #1016
Amethyst
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
I'm mostly curious what CP thinks on this, and I expect that this will be a growing issue going forward (to be clear...I'm not actually asking for medical advice from a bunch of strangers!). I'm home isolating with Covid, most likely Omicron. I haven't got my booster, and the question is "should I bother?"
I had similar questions when I got covid after my first dose. Did I still need a second? When? Most people responded to me like I was some kind of anti-vaxxer.

If it was me, I would still get the booster, but would go from date of your infection rather than date of your last shot (which is what I did).

My reasons: there's no guarantee this is the end; vaccine injury is so unlikely and if you had no issues with the first one you should be fine; travel. I didn't want to explain to some border guard that I had had covid. Now it's probably not such a big deal, because everyone is getting it, but back when I had, it was still very much stigmatizing to test positive.
The Following User Says Thank You to Amethyst For This Useful Post:
Old 01-05-2022, 09:31 AM   #1017
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think this Con is simply not something you know for sure.

Given breakthrough cases from new variants and effectiveness of vaccines against serious outcomes, I don't see the downside in getting the booster.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 01-05-2022, 09:38 AM   #1018
Drak
First Line Centre

Exp:

My friend’s daughter in her early 20s was vaccinated early for her age in BC, and received her booster shot yesterday. She’s a university student but was working in a biomedical lab with the coop program. My friend said her first two shots were Moderna, but they gave her Pfizer for her third shot due to concerns regarding myocarditis.
Drak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2022, 10:17 AM   #1019
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
I'm mostly curious what CP thinks on this, and I expect that this will be a growing issue going forward (to be clear...I'm not actually asking for medical advice from a bunch of strangers!). I'm home isolating with Covid, most likely Omicron. I haven't got my booster, and the question is "should I bother?" Here are my pros/cons to getting the booster:

Cons:

- Increased risk of vaccine injury
- Takes a spot away from someone else who could potentially benefit

Pros

- I want to travel, and having the booster seems like it will be required
- what I see as the probable addition of the booster to the vaccine passport
- the only "proof" I have for the natural immunity is my rapid test, which is rather tenuous

Like I say, I expect this to come up more frequently in the coming weeks as more and more people are infected with Omicron, diagnosed with rapid tests and in the vast majority who have not yet had their boosters. So, I thought that I'd bring it up here as a topic of conversation.
We're in the same boat at our house. My wife and kids have previously booked their booster shots, then two of them have since come down with Covid. They are all keeping their appointments (end of this week) as there doesn't seem to be a downside to getting boosted even if they are recently recovered.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lubicon For This Useful Post:
Old 01-05-2022, 10:46 AM   #1020
Amethyst
First Line Centre

Exp:

The downside to getting a shot right away is that it doesn't give your immune system the "learning" time in between. My friend's landlord who is a "covid doctor" (whatever that means) told her to get her booster 4 months after she recovers from covid.