Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-31-2023, 09:49 PM   #1581
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Bumface View Post
I went Calgary to Whistler on a single tank in our Outback, because it's fun to get to say you did so on things like hockey message boards years later.

It was totally worth taking the last steep climbs into Whistler at maximum anxiety levels as the gas light had flipped on. Would do it again for this post alone.

[/coolstorybro]
I got 35 MPG on the highway in my E39 BMW M5 going downhill while drafting a semi.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 06-01-2023, 03:32 PM   #1582
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
I'm saying there's two ways to enjoy a trip. How to get there as fast as possible or how to go slowly and enjoy the journey.
And I'm saying you gave me a chance to brag about that one time I drove an Outback from Calgary to Whistler on one tank, so I took it.
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bill Bumface For This Useful Post:
Old 06-01-2023, 03:34 PM   #1583
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

I love how ridiculous this is. Basically bragging about:

1. buying a car no one would call special
2. driving it very slowly
3. poorly managing our fuel inventory, as some form of ... entertainment?
4. ignoring some warning lights and enduring 45 minutes of anxiety

Yup, I'm the ####in man.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bill Bumface For This Useful Post:
Old 06-01-2023, 08:00 PM   #1584
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

I'm not bragging at all. I'm saying it was a young and stupid thing to do. It was totally a stupid game to play as I was a dangerous a-hole tailgating the semis, it it wrecked the front of my car with rocks, and was not worth it. As you get older, taking it slowly is way better, even if you need to make a bunch of 45 minute stops to charge up.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hack&Lube For This Useful Post:
Old 06-01-2023, 08:03 PM   #1585
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Bumface View Post
I love how ridiculous this is. Basically bragging about:

1. buying a car no one would call special
2. driving it very slowly
3. poorly managing our fuel inventory, as some form of ... entertainment?
4. ignoring some warning lights and enduring 45 minutes of anxiety

Yup, I'm the ####in man.
I think you describe what makes it so awesome.

It’s always disappointing how much fuel you still have in your tank relative to the owners manual.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 06-02-2023, 08:54 AM   #1586
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
I'm not bragging at all.
Just in case we are crossing wires here, wasn't calling you out for bragging, but I definitely was.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
It’s always disappointing how much fuel you still have in your tank relative to the owners manual.
So true. I'm always curious for the "real" capacity for times like when the power was out in Golden (where I needed gas) and Field (where I hoped to barely make it to as a backup plan). I was driving an old V8 S4, one of the least fuel efficient compact sedans ever, even worse than the RS4 of the same vintage that had 100hp more.

No gas in Golden, because no power, so on to Field I went. I was 0km to empty (according to the dash) about halfway between Golden and Field. After getting turned down in field as well, I was windows up, AC off, crawling up the steep hills to try limp into Lake Louise. I still had like 4L left. So disappointing... the AC would have been nice to have on haha.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bill Bumface For This Useful Post:
Old 06-02-2023, 09:05 AM   #1587
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think on our Rav4, the empty indicator usually comes on around 4-5 litres remaining, judging by subsequent fill-ups. The actual dashboard gauge though doesn’t jive with that. There are sometimes a noticeable gap between empty and the dial, and the empty light comes on.
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post:
Old 06-05-2023, 04:10 PM   #1588
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
I think on our Rav4, the empty indicator usually comes on around 4-5 litres remaining, judging by subsequent fill-ups. The actual dashboard gauge though doesn’t jive with that. There are sometimes a noticeable gap between empty and the dial, and the empty light comes on.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Hack&Lube For This Useful Post:
Old 06-07-2023, 11:10 AM   #1589
8sPOT
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Ironically I ran out of gas in my 2018 Outback a month after I bought it brand new. It said I had 60km left on my way back from Banff, ran out of gas about 5 km's later.

They did issue a recall after I traded the car in to fix the fuel sensor or whatever. Was still great on gas but you didn't get 850km per tank like it said, more like 790km.
8sPOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2023, 03:41 PM   #1590
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8sPOT View Post
Ironically I ran out of gas in my 2018 Outback a month after I bought it brand new. It said I had 60km left on my way back from Banff, ran out of gas about 5 km's later.

They did issue a recall after I traded the car in to fix the fuel sensor or whatever. Was still great on gas but you didn't get 850km per tank like it said, more like 790km.
The gas guessometer suffers from the same problem as the electric one. Not every km is the same with wind, elevation changes and temperature. The 860km range on Alberta highways is quite different than the range would be at -25 in the mountains with a strong headwind
Street Pharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2023, 04:16 PM   #1591
opendoor
Franchise Player

Exp:

All of Tesla's Model 3 versions now qualify for the $7.5K US Federal rebate. That means you can get a Model 3 in some places (California being one) for under $30K after rebates. Pretty good for buyers, but what a waste of tax dollars.

Meanwhile the CEO of GM is suggesting that they're still pretty far off from being able to profitably produce a $30-40K EV, saying that cost parity with ICE cars could be up to 10 years away.
opendoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2023, 04:53 PM   #1592
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by opendoor View Post
10 years away.
Pretty close to how long it takes to justify the extra cost in gas savings!
Old 06-07-2023, 04:56 PM   #1593
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
Pretty close to how long it takes to justify the extra cost in gas savings!
Almost like there are other qualities people find valuable.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2023, 07:19 PM   #1594
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://www.theautopian.com/2025-volvo-ex30/

Volvo just announced this for ~$36k US. I think it looks pretty good, while suffering from the typical EV "what do we do where the grill was?" issue. Not a fan of no driver display though. It can't be that expensive to add a separate screen. But I guess this simplifies international markets.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2023, 10:35 PM   #1595
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

how many screens do you guys need? look out the ####ing windshield and focus on the road
Old 06-08-2023, 03:12 AM   #1596
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post

https://www.theautopian.com/2025-volvo-ex30/

Volvo just announced this for ~$36k US. I think it looks pretty good, while suffering from the typical EV "what do we do where the grill was?" issue. Not a fan of no driver display though. It can't be that expensive to add a separate screen. But I guess this simplifies international markets.
It look better with the blacked out grill section:

I'm fine with a single screen if it's a big landscape one with a slick UI like the Model 3. The Volvo looks like someone just put a $100 Chinese Android tablet down the middle
Old 06-08-2023, 06:04 AM   #1597
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
how many screens do you guys need? look out the ####ing windshield and focus on the road
Well that's kind of the point. Looking off to the right to see your speed, particularly, say, when going throguh a playground zone takes your eyes further from the road. I mean, I could ask for an analoug speedo, but obviously that is obsolete, so a screen to see my speed near my line of sight shouldn't be too much to ask. Though looknig at this one it does seem they raised the tablet high enough the speedo shouldn't be too far off.

EDIT:

and looking at this:

It does look like there is a little display or something in front of the wheel.

Last edited by Fuzz; 06-08-2023 at 06:07 AM.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2023, 06:27 AM   #1598
ripTDR
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

That is a sexy car. Will be nice when you can get a dealer marked up one in three years
ripTDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2023, 08:11 AM   #1599
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by opendoor View Post
All of Tesla's Model 3 versions now qualify for the $7.5K US Federal rebate. That means you can get a Model 3 in some places (California being one) for under $30K after rebates. Pretty good for buyers, but what a waste of tax dollars.

Meanwhile the CEO of GM is suggesting that they're still pretty far off from being able to profitably produce a $30-40K EV, saying that cost parity with ICE cars could be up to 10 years away.
Mary Barra says this because GM is relatively late to the party. Some other brands are not having the same issue. VW says margin parity was already expected but rising mineral costs mean 2024 or 2025. Tesla has very high margins. That's not to say the market doesn't have lower margins on EVs, but EVs have a lot more room to move on supply chain and scale. Later non-Chinese entrants to the battery supply race are finding their battery contracts (batteries are as much as 35% of the cost of production) are not great

US needed to stimulate ev sales in a big way. You can argue about the effectiveness if you want but the goal is difficult to achieve without a serious signal to the market
Street Pharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2023, 10:39 AM   #1600
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

If I can jump into one for around $50-60K in around 3-5 years, I'm game.

For the grille, I still keep thinking it'd be an awesome and hilarious idea to mod it to look like a robot or lego figure head or face or something... but... nah.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote