Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-09-2023, 02:39 PM   #1561
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ya, when you set a SC as a destination, it should pre-condition.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2023, 03:26 PM   #1562
opendoor
Franchise Player

Exp:

There are tons of Tesla chargers between San Francisco and Big Sur. I think there's even one right in Big Sur as well. Unless you're going on a long weekend or something, it'll be pretty trivial to find one that you can just pull up to and charge without waiting.

Though that timeline is pretty tight, EV or not. San Francisco traffic can get kind of crazy at times (at least on weekdays). And if you're going in the next couple of months, Hwy 1 is totally closed south of Big Sur, so you might get more traffic than normal coming in and out from the north.
opendoor is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to opendoor For This Useful Post:
Old 05-09-2023, 04:13 PM   #1563
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
Yeah, I saw that too. But what I'm confused by is the real life practicality of incorporating charging into a road trip drive on a rushed schedule. The car rental is open from 7AM to 5PM. Factoring 30 minutes to 1.5 hours to have enough charge is something that I'd need to know to factor into a 6 hour round trip drive with stops.

It seems there's a supercharging station in Monterey at a shopping mall, so if I can get 100 mile top up in 15 minutes when I get a bite to eat, I think I'm good for the rest of the day.

I have no clue what this means, but I just looked it up and it seems like it will automatically do this if I choose a Tesla supercharging station in my navigation app? Seems simple enough to do.

I didn't know about the charger thing. Good to know. Something I wouldn't notice on a regular trip, but something I'd probably notice if in a rush for a road trip.

Precondition for heat and AC to optimize usage is another thing that pops up when I look up "precondition Tesla battery".
If the rental has premium connectivity, you can just watch Youtube/Netflix, etc. in the car or play games on the screen while its charging as well. It's basically unlimited LTE.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hack&Lube For This Useful Post:
Old 05-10-2023, 09:41 AM   #1564
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Found this interesting. High amount of production with an upcoming drop in demand if there is a recession will likely lead to some good price drops.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1656084518892183556
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Azure For This Useful Post:
Old 05-15-2023, 08:13 PM   #1565
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
I wasn't sure whether to put this post in the EV thread or a travel thread.

Sorta weird question... how does EV charging factor into a road trip scenario? I've driven EVs before, but not in rapid charging scenarios.

Is it like, find a place to charge, go out to grab a snack and then return after 20-30 minutes sort of thing for 15-20% charge? or do I need to allot more time and more frequently? I know it's not as simple as 2-3 minutes for Gasoline and then go sort of thing, but I'm trying to figure out if it's 30 minutes or 1.5 hours (ie: 45mins x 2) I should consider allotting. When I drive, I love just going for it, so the charging situation may force my hand to approach the drive in a very different manner than I usually do for road trip driving.

I'm going to SF and I might rent a Tesla Model 3. The plan is to go to big Sur, but looking at the distances, I can't do that on a single charge (300 miles round trip without stuff on the side). I just want to know how much time I may need to allot to ensure I make it back to the rental company by 5 PM. The challenge also is that big Sur is intentionally less developed, so I may have to take a look at some of the small towns at the midway point between big Sur and SF.

I am assuming access is mostly regular public charging only and I'm hoping to top up 100-150 miles for that drive.
Damn. Really wish I saw this earlier. If you're still looking for answers there's an awesome route planner for EVs:

https://abetterrouteplanner.com/

You can put in what make and model of car, what states of battery charge you're comfortable with, etc and it'll tell you fairly accurately what charge you'll have where and where to stop and for how long. You can put in you starting point and destination with a model 3 and it'll give you a very good estimate on how long you'll be stopping and where the best stops are to get there quickest.

Every EV charges a bit differently, but essentially the first 10-15% and the last 10-15% take a lot longer than the middle bit. If it takes 25 minutes to go from 20-80%, it'll probably take another 10-15 to get to 90% then another 25 minutes or more for that last bit. Because of that most EV drivers only charge above 80% if they really need to in order to get to the next charger. Lastly, and this is big, charging infrastructure is better in that area than almost anywhere else in North America, but it's extremely common to show up at a charger and it's not operational so make sure you don't go somewhere and don't have enough charge to go to another charger.
Street Pharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Street Pharmacist For This Useful Post:
Old 05-22-2023, 09:27 AM   #1566
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

That link is a great tool to see what it really would look like to drive long distance.

I don’t own an EV but a Model 3 standard would be 5 stops and 1h:45mins in charging. Adding to the drive time. I’ll deduct 15mins because ICE driver needs gas and bathroom (will assume those line up).

Looks like budget should be 90-120 mins extra for a Vancouver trip? (If charger not working)

At that point do you just fly?
OldDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2023, 10:09 AM   #1567
opendoor
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't know, if a 10.5hr drive plus stops is fine for someone, then I'm not sure why a 12 hr drive including stops would make them want to fly instead. And if that's a trip someone's going to do with any kind of regularity, they'd be better served by getting the long range model which can get to Vancouver with only 2-3 stops and 40-50 minutes in total charging time.

Personally, when I do really long drives getting to point A to point B as fast as possible, I still usually stop for 10-15 minutes every 2-3 hrs. In routes with decent charging infrastructure, it'd be pretty trivial to integrate charging into those stops and not add a whole lot of time.

It's obviously not quite as convenient as a gas car, but having to go to a gas station every couple of weeks all year long isn't all that convenient either when compared to charging at home.
opendoor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2023, 10:15 AM   #1568
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDutch View Post
That link is a great tool to see what it really would look like to drive long distance.

I don’t own an EV but a Model 3 standard would be 5 stops and 1h:45mins in charging. Adding to the drive time. I’ll deduct 15mins because ICE driver needs gas and bathroom (will assume those line up).

Looks like budget should be 90-120 mins extra for a Vancouver trip? (If charger not working)

At that point do you just fly?
You also have to budget waiting times to use the chargers during peak times of the day. Unfortunately the lineups can get long at times.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2023, 10:43 AM   #1569
JagrBombs68
Draft Pick

Time is definitely a consideration when travelling long distance like yyc to vancouver. but also consider the cost - if you use the Chevron app and just stop at chevorns it would be free

I used to be on the get there as quickly as possible mindset and always found i was exhausted by the time i got to where i was going. But with kids we learned to take a few longer breaks along the way sure i got to where i was going an hour so later ( on a 10 hr journey) but i felt much better

planning on doing a 2 day road trip this summer with our tesla just because a flight for one was $1000 return , even with a hotel it should be a 5th of the cost and timing didnt matter as much on this trip

EVs wont work for everyone

the speed to charge and range will become better with some more advancement and soon i think it will be as quick to fill a tank as it is to charge a battery
JagrBombs68 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JagrBombs68 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2023, 10:47 AM   #1570
Bring_Back_Shantz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah,
We've had an EV since January (Mach E), and we're planning our first long road trip this summer, to Penticton.
We'll have to plan ahead a bit more, and yeah, we'll likely have to take longer stops, but I already know where I want to stop so I can hit restaurants I like, and we usually do the trip out in 2 days anyway, so the way out won't be a big deal as we'll be super flexible.
Also, I haven't stopped for gas in 4 months, so that's not such a bad trade off for me.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bring_Back_Shantz For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2023, 10:55 AM   #1571
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JagrBombs68 View Post
Time is definitely a consideration when travelling long distance like yyc to vancouver. but also consider the cost - if you use the Chevron app and just stop at chevorns it would be free

I used to be on the get there as quickly as possible mindset and always found i was exhausted by the time i got to where i was going. But with kids we learned to take a few longer breaks along the way sure i got to where i was going an hour so later ( on a 10 hr journey) but i felt much better

planning on doing a 2 day road trip this summer with our tesla just because a flight for one was $1000 return , even with a hotel it should be a 5th of the cost and timing didnt matter as much on this trip

the speed to charge and range will become better with some more advancement and soon i think it will be as quick to fill a tank as it is to charge a battery
I plan to do the YYC to YVR trip once this summer, as the Chevron On the Go network won't be free forever.
Old 05-26-2023, 08:17 AM   #1572
Bring_Back_Shantz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ford and Tesla have apparently reached a deal to open up the Tesla Network for Ford vehicles.

https://media.ford.com/content/fordm...hargers--.html

It's not immediate, and I almost never use fast chargers, but this is really good news for me as a Ford EV owner!

I was hoping Tesla would open their network to everyone, but now I'm hoping they don't!
Suck it dude in your Ioniq5. Go charge somewhere else!!!
The Following User Says Thank You to Bring_Back_Shantz For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2023, 05:01 PM   #1573
underGRADFlame
Lives In Fear Of Labelling

Exp:

So while its not a full EV (I have a 2020 Ioniq EV as a commuter), after waiting 18 months for a Hyundai Tucson PHEV and still no delivery in sight, we went to Bow Mitsubishi last Saturday and found a '23 Outlander SEL PHEV for our family vehicle, and we picked to up today!

Pretty impressed with the quality and drive of the Outlander, compared to where they were 5 years ago. With the minimal amount my wife drives working from home, I'm guessing the gas will start going bad before we run out. Now I really need to get my level 2 charger installed.
underGRADFlame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2023, 06:27 PM   #1574
Bring_Back_Shantz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by underGRADFlame View Post
So while its not a full EV (I have a 2020 Ioniq EV as a commuter), after waiting 18 months for a Hyundai Tucson PHEV and still no delivery in sight, we went to Bow Mitsubishi last Saturday and found a '23 Outlander SEL PHEV for our family vehicle, and we picked to up today!

Pretty impressed with the quality and drive of the Outlander, compared to where they were 5 years ago. With the minimal amount my wife drives working from home, I'm guessing the gas will start going bad before we run out. Now I really need to get my level 2 charger installed.
Honestly, hold off on that charger until you’ve had the car for a while.
I thought I wanted one, but we have no problem charging up over night for our daily commute. Ours is pretty short, maybe 5km each way. We could easily do double that and have no problem charging overnight on just 120v service.

For a PEHV I’ll bet you could manage even better.
Even on weekends when we drove more, it takes maybe two days to catch back up, and we are never in a spot where we are worried about range.
Old 05-26-2023, 06:41 PM   #1575
underGRADFlame
Lives In Fear Of Labelling

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bring_Back_Shantz View Post
Honestly, hold off on that charger until you’ve had the car for a while.
I thought I wanted one, but we have no problem charging up over night for our daily commute. Ours is pretty short, maybe 5km each way. We could easily do double that and have no problem charging overnight on just 120v service.

For a PEHV I’ll bet you could manage even better.
Even on weekends when we drove more, it takes maybe two days to catch back up, and we are never in a spot where we are worried about range.
I have the Level 2 already, just haven't run the electrical yet (as I need a DCC12). I've managed for 16 months on a level 1 at home but I think now with the PHEV I'll get it done before winter to be safe. At minimum I want a new dedicated circuit for the 2nd 120v as, the breaker won't take 2 charges for sure.
underGRADFlame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to underGRADFlame For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2023, 07:34 PM   #1576
Bring_Back_Shantz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by underGRADFlame View Post
I have the Level 2 already, just haven't run the electrical yet (as I need a DCC12). I've managed for 16 months on a level 1 at home but I think now with the PHEV I'll get it done before winter to be safe. At minimum I want a new dedicated circuit for the 2nd 120v as, the breaker won't take 2 charges for sure.
Gotcha. Missed that you already had one and that this was a second.
Old 05-27-2023, 04:06 PM   #1577
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bring_Back_Shantz View Post
Also, I haven't stopped for gas in 4 months, so that's not such a bad trade off for me.
Why do you hate hard working Albertans??
Bill Bumface is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bill Bumface For This Useful Post:
Old 05-30-2023, 12:07 PM   #1578
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JagrBombs68 View Post

When I was younger, I once did Calgary to Vancouver non-stop by driving a diesel car and playing a game of hypermilling by drafting behind huge semis as much as possible. This resulted in tons of rock chips in my car being flung up from the semis and it was also a dangerous practice.

Now with the Tesla and On the Go, I will probably go at my own pace for free and enjoy the road trip. I can stop and play games or watch movies on the screen at various charging stops.
The Following User Says Thank You to Hack&Lube For This Useful Post:
Old 05-30-2023, 10:49 PM   #1579
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

I went Calgary to Whistler on a single tank in our Outback, because it's fun to get to say you did so on things like hockey message boards years later.

It was totally worth taking the last steep climbs into Whistler at maximum anxiety levels as the gas light had flipped on. Would do it again for this post alone.

[/coolstorybro]
Bill Bumface is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Bill Bumface For This Useful Post:
Old 05-31-2023, 12:21 PM   #1580
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Bumface View Post
I went Calgary to Whistler on a single tank in our Outback, because it's fun to get to say you did so on things like hockey message boards years later.

It was totally worth taking the last steep climbs into Whistler at maximum anxiety levels as the gas light had flipped on. Would do it again for this post alone.

[/coolstorybro]
I'm saying there's two ways to enjoy a trip. How to get there as fast as possible or how to go slowly and enjoy the journey.