Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: What role do humans play in contributing to climate change?
Humans are the primary contributor to climate change 395 63.00%
Humans contribute to climate change, but not the main cause 164 26.16%
Not sure 37 5.90%
Climate change is a hoax 31 4.94%
Voters: 627. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-23-2019, 08:47 PM   #941
Thor
God of Hating Twitter

Exp:

Nuclear, Bill Gates on his new Netflix series about him, one of the episodes covers how his startup has a ready to go new gen safe Nuclear reactor ready to go, made a deal with China to build a whole bunch and Trump's government nixed it because of his China trade war...

When we look back at administrations who failed to act, I doubt anyone could have done more harm to the world in just a few short years.
Old 09-23-2019, 08:49 PM   #942
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamler View Post
Why would you doubt that? Have you read this thread from the beginning? I'd love to see a coherent plan to replace fossil fuel energy, and replace crude oil used in producing millions of products. Show me the math.
There is no math. There is nothing. There are dreams and plans being thrown around by politicians and wackos who don't make any attempt at accepting reality.

I dare ANY person in this thread to present a solution that would make a comparable difference to what I have said. And not just I, but many smart people throughout both industries.

I also forgot to mention that it is entirely possible to build natural gas power plants that emit next to no carbon. Imagine that.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 08:51 PM   #943
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Response to Scroopy:
https://forum.calgarypuck.com/showpo...&postcount=902

That's the thing though, no one is being honest about "a lot". They just pretend we can go on living the way we are, but do it cleaner. News flash, if that was possible, we'd be doing it. If it was easy, we would have done it. If it was economically viable, corporations would be all over it.

The frank, honest conversation of what we can accept for changing temperatures vs what we are prepared to do has never happened. No one has said "you can only fly once a decade, drive your car 5000km/year, keep your heat below 18 and only eat food that comes from the ground within 100km of you. Or, we can live with 3-5 degrees warming, and keep all doing what we are doing, and spend our way out of it." You think Brexit was a divisive referendum? Try putting that one to the people.
Even if people in North America did all those things it wouldn't change what is happening.

It needs to be a worldwide movement, which means you need to get countries who are still burning dirty coal (not even clean coal) over to natural gas, and then work in improving their infrastructure to the point where they can implement more renewables.

We have our head massively stuck in the sand if we think any chance we will make in North America without EXPORTING that change to the world will make a difference. It is completely pointless.
Old 09-23-2019, 08:52 PM   #944
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
Even if people in North America did all those things it wouldn't change what is happening.

It needs to be a worldwide movement, which means you need to get countries who are still burning dirty coal (not even clean coal) over to natural gas, and then work in improving their infrastructure to the point where they can implement more renewables.

We have our head massively stuck in the sand if we think any chance we will make in North America without EXPORTING that change to the world will make a difference. It is completely pointless.
Edit: never mind, I misread it.
Edit edit: I guess I didn’t. So your point is we might as well do nothing because everyone else is doing nothing. Okay.

Last edited by Scroopy Noopers; 09-23-2019 at 09:08 PM.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 08:56 PM   #945
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
I am not against these sorts of ideas, but those are the types of solutions being offered up now, and that is the problem: targeting individual examples, and thus missing others. It makes for an unlevel playing field, and that is the challenge.

Excessive packaging is as annoying as anything. But where do you start? And who decides what is excessive? And unless all countries are involved equally, it just creates unfair advantages to those not restricted.

Let's go back to the SUV example above: do we try and make people drive smaller vehicles? (who decides who qualifies for an SUV and who doesn't?) Or do we try to reduce the number of oil tankers carrying oil half way around the world?

Again, who decides? Because unless everyone is playing by the same rules, you aren't accomplishing anything, you are just giving economic advantages to those that won't follow the rules.
Totally agree which is why I say we need a societal shift. But that's not to say regulations can't nudge things alone, for example suppose packaging has a couple logos on it, a "bad" logo if the packaging is not bio degradable. People start to look down on companies that package stuff with the bad logo on it.

But you are absolutely right if we don't have a buy in everywhere things fall apart, and that's our current reality in China they don't care about carbon or pollution China openly admits their plan is use dirty energy to long term achieve their goals which does include clean energy. But certainly not now or in 12 years, maybe 30 or more.
Quote:
There is no math. There is nothing. There are dreams and plans being thrown around by politicians and wackos who don't make any attempt at accepting reality.
There are millions, probably billions with the same wackaloon views. It's getting to the point of hysteria, which is exactly what a politician wants easy to introduce a pointless tax. Pay up or the planet is doomed.

On doing the math we have to do the math, otherwise may as well be pissing in the wind.
Quote:
I dare ANY person in this thread to present a solution that would make a comparable difference to what I have said. And not just I, but many smart people throughout both industries.
I've said this before there may be no solution. Physics doesn't care about environmental dreams.
Quote:
I also forgot to mention that it is entirely possible to build natural gas power plants that emit next to no carbon. Imagine that.
???? Explain.

Last edited by zamler; 09-23-2019 at 08:59 PM.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 08:57 PM   #946
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Quote:
Battery electric cars powered by natural gas generators is a good stop gap, the efficiency of this system is quite high and the carbon footprint per vehicle is a fair bit better than gasoline. Not as good as a BEV powered by hydro, although hydro has significant environmental downsides we don't hear about much.

Consumers will not accept CNG cars, they stink, don't have as much power, and are dangerous in enclosed spaces. Not as stupid as hydrogen cars though.
Hey I'm a big proponent of researching and spending money on figuring out alternative methods. Everything should be looked at.

But until then? Coal should be made illegal. Allowing plants to phase out till 2040? Screw that. They have 5 years to shut down or convert to natural gas. Time to get serious about this.

And I only say that because I know it is quite possible to convert the plants in a short time frame. It is also quite easy to build new natural gas plants. And from what I'm reading, it is also becoming cheaper to build solar & wind farms. I'm all for that as well, but it'll take years till get to the point where either of those can do what natural gas does.

The sooner that people accept that, the easier this will get.

Also, the sad part is, if every single coal plant in North America was shut down by natural gas, or better yet, wind/solar, it would still NOT make a difference in global CO2 emissions. It would barely make a dent.
Old 09-23-2019, 08:58 PM   #947
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
Or tree size. And we’d be talking about 10,000 of these machines which shouldn’t be running on fossil fuels. Okay so it seems this idea is not feasible.
More feasible then building solar or wind or even nuclear at the scale necessary or ramping up lithium extraction to the point where you can replace all cars. The scale of this problem is mind boggling.

The cost of such a program seems relatively low. Tree planing programs run as low as 30 cents per tree but even if it was $1 per tree that’s only 1.5 trillion dollars. If you planted this over 10 years that is 150 billion per year. The GDP of the G7 nations is 33 Trillion so for .5% of GDP you could undertake this effort.

The one issue is that it does take 100 years to get to a steady state point but a lot of trees carbon sequestration occurs in its early years of growing. So maybe this only solves 1/4 of the problem.

The top 20 richest people in the world could essentially pay for this program if they wanted to.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 09:01 PM   #948
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
But until then? Coal should be made illegal. Allowing plants to phase out till 2040? Screw that. They have 5 years to shut down or convert to natural gas. Time to get serious about this.
I have no problems with this, unless there is a scenario where a country or region can't use natural gas which I suspect would be not very often.
Old 09-23-2019, 09:02 PM   #949
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
There was just recently an article that suggested that planting the 1.5 trillion trees required was possible as in there was enough room to plant the trees.

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/amp.theg...nopy-emissions

No farmlands or urban areas are touched although some tree cover is added to grazing lands.
Whoa, that article says there are only three trillion trees on the planet. That means planting 50% of the trees that already exist on the planet. Yeah, not even remotely possible. Even if you could come up with the money to buy the saplings, where does the labor come from? Do you know how long it would take to plant 1.5 trillion trees? Big question is, where do you come up with 1.5 trillion saplings? Here's a few others that also question the pragmatism behind the study.

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/cr.../#.XYmD0ihKhPY

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/7...climate-change

http://www.anthropocenemagazine.org/...limate-change/

The common thread in these is the original article is a mathematical model to determine the possibility of the concept, but did not take into consideration the actual feasibility of the idea. The potential to plant and then sustain the trees was not considered.

"Converting large areas of natural landscape to biomass plantations threatens these already stressed ecosystems. Converting agricultural land makes it harder to feed the world’s population. Fertilizing tree plantations requires huge inputs of nitrogen fertilizer—which also results in the release of greenhouse gases—and watering them taxes an already water-scarce world."

Interesting article and idea.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 09:03 PM   #950
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
I have no problems with this, unless there is a scenario where a country or region can't use natural gas which I suspect would be not very often.
So what happens to all those people who lose their jobs overnight? I agree with it as well, but this is where I start accepting the argument of taxes supporting those who work in industries who need massive cutbacks in production. (Not saying the carbon tax in its state was the way to do this. But something similar is important in my opinion).
Old 09-23-2019, 09:03 PM   #951
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by codynw View Post
There may be an answer to this already, but I'm gonna ask it anyways. Why don't we just plant a ####load of trees everywhere? Obviously that's not a permanent solution, but it's better than the whole lot of nothing that we're doing right now. And it might slow things down long enough for us to come up with a permanent solution.
Actually, that would be a great idea, and would make a significant difference.

But there is little point in planting a ton of trees if we don't manage them.

I'm all for it, but there needs to be a proper plan in place, and WORLDWIDE support. Again, little point in doing something in North America (which already has more trees than it ever had in the history of ever) if the rest of the world doesn't give a damn.

Also, trees? How can you increase taxation by planting more trees?

It actually drives me insane how easily people accept the stupid carbon tax. The equivalent of people buying carbon credits. What does it accomplish? Nothing. Companies have been finding ways around tax laws for years, and they almost certainly will with the carbon tax.
Old 09-23-2019, 09:08 PM   #952
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Quote:
There are millions, probably billions with the same wackaloon views. It's getting to the point of hysteria, which is exactly what a politician wants easy to introduce a pointless tax. Pay up or the planet is doomed.
Yup, and many make no attempt at actually educating themselves beyond their assumptions on the subject. Like I said, crazy.

Quote:
I've said this before there may be no solution. Physics doesn't care about environmental dreams.
There may be no solution to climate change, or we may be too late. But, there are more benefits to consider than reversing climate change. Such as health and mortality rates.

Quote:
???? Explain.
Quote:
In the Texas city of La Porte, about 30 miles outside of Houston, the power plant of the future generates enough electricity to power 5,000 homes simultaneously. It burns old-fashioned fossil fuels. And yet it produces no carbon emissions.
https://www.inc.com/kevin-j-ryan/net...l-warming.html

One would think if there is potential here, we should be milking this cow for all its worth instead of talking about a worthless carbon tax, right?
The Following User Says Thank You to Azure For This Useful Post:
Old 09-23-2019, 09:09 PM   #953
Thor
God of Hating Twitter

Exp:

Btw this is that Netflix doc, I highly recommend watching I think its ep3 where they go over the attempts to sell the idea of Nuclear.

Old 09-23-2019, 09:09 PM   #954
accord1999
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
China:

That amount of coal represents nearly 4 billion tons of coal, or half of the world's production. It's also bigger (in TWh) than the entire US electricity system.
accord1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 09:10 PM   #955
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
So what happens to all those people who lose their jobs overnight? I agree with it as well, but this is where I start accepting the argument of taxes supporting those who work in industries who need massive cutbacks in production. (Not saying the carbon tax in its state was the way to do this. But something similar is important in my opinion).
Why can't those jobs be replaced by work that involves other forms of energy management. I am out of my element here I don't know how the numbers crunch.

Speaking of numbers
Spoiler!

The above does not take into account the carbon based energy required to produce the infrastructure, and the upkeep. But it at least it's a starting point.
Old 09-23-2019, 09:11 PM   #956
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Why can't those jobs be replaced by work that involves other forms of energy management. I am out of my element here I don't know how the numbers crunch.
On paper they could. But the real people who lose their income aren’t protected by the invention of a new job, for someone else, somewhere else.
Old 09-23-2019, 09:13 PM   #957
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
More feasible then building solar or wind or even nuclear at the scale necessary or ramping up lithium extraction to the point where you can replace all cars. The scale of this problem is mind boggling.

The cost of such a program seems relatively low. Tree planing programs run as low as 30 cents per tree but even if it was $1 per tree that’s only 1.5 trillion dollars. If you planted this over 10 years that is 150 billion per year. The GDP of the G7 nations is 33 Trillion so for .5% of GDP you could undertake this effort.

The one issue is that it does take 100 years to get to a steady state point but a lot of trees carbon sequestration occurs in its early years of growing. So maybe this only solves 1/4 of the problem.

The top 20 richest people in the world could essentially pay for this program if they wanted to.
The US federal government owns around 650 million acres of land. All it would have to do is rent out as much of that land for $1 dollar per year to private corporations on the basis that they plant trees and manage the forests in a specific way.

Boom, overnight success.

Tree harvesting is a massively lucrative business if done right. And has the ability to sequester a TON of C02 in a very short time frame.

But how are we going to hate on natural gas that way?
Old 09-23-2019, 09:15 PM   #958
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Quote:
There is no country on earth that cannot have its infrastructure upgraded to the point where all they would need is natural gas.

Not a single one.

Many just don't have the resources or know how to get there. Burning dirty coal is cheap.
Old 09-23-2019, 09:16 PM   #959
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

what do we do about the CO2 when there is a massive forest fire from all these trees?
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 09:17 PM   #960
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Today I made Greta happy as I rode my bike to work - but I then made her cry more as I drove my SUV to watch my son play hockey.

We now live in a world where a 16 yr old is a climate expert