Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: What role do humans play in contributing to climate change?
Humans are the primary contributor to climate change 395 63.00%
Humans contribute to climate change, but not the main cause 164 26.16%
Not sure 37 5.90%
Climate change is a hoax 31 4.94%
Voters: 627. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-22-2021, 07:34 AM   #2661
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Who knows if we can get it produced at any volume but lab grown meat seems like the next avenue this goes.
PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 09:06 AM   #2662
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteMoss View Post
Who knows if we can get it produced at any volume but lab grown meat seems like the next avenue this goes.
It looks like it's scalable. There's billions pouring into the market with tons of startups claiming to be cheaper than farmed meat relatively soon. If so, lots and lots of disruption again
Street Pharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 11:04 AM   #2663
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think that it is very important to point out that pasture land ( for live stock farming) is almost infinitely more biodiverse than any crop. Carbon is not the only factor when it comes to ecological damage.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 11:55 AM   #2664
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Pharmacist View Post
It looks like it's scalable. There's billions pouring into the market with tons of startups claiming to be cheaper than farmed meat relatively soon. If so, lots and lots of disruption again
Sadly no pro farmer lobby on this board to give us the reasons why it won't it work.
Old 11-22-2021, 12:22 PM   #2665
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Sadly no pro farmer lobby on this board to give us the reasons why it won't it work.
The big problem is flavour and texture.

Beyond and Impossible are not good enough. I would rather not eat meat than those products. Would love if they are able to perfect it and give us lower cost meat in infinite textures.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 01:20 PM   #2666
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
The big problem is flavour and texture.

Beyond and Impossible are not good enough. I would rather not eat meat than those products. Would love if they are able to perfect it and give us lower cost meat in infinite textures.
Those are Plant based meat substitutes. I was talking about cultured meat https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cultured_meat. May have the same issues though.
The Following User Says Thank You to PeteMoss For This Useful Post:
GGG
Old 11-22-2021, 06:42 PM   #2667
Macman
Self Imposed Retirement

Exp:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canad...?ocid=msedgntp

David Suzuki, the godfather of the Canadian environmental movement, warned over the weekend that if politicians don’t act to reverse climate change, there could be attacks against oil and gas infrastructure.

I came across rancher from Missouri a while back. Greg Judy is his name and he's into regenerative ranching were he moves his herd around on land that stays in grass with no tillage. It's interesting and seems more sustainable and you don't have open land sitting there eroding when there's no crop.

Last edited by Macman; 11-22-2021 at 07:04 PM.
Macman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 06:50 PM   #2668
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
David Suzuki, the godfather of the Canadian environmental movement, warned over the weekend that if politicians don’t act to reverse climate change, there could be attacks against oil and gas infrastructure.
Is that a threat?

Look at these people, they are clothed and surrounded by products and infrastructure enabled by fossil fuels. I am 100% on board with moving away from fossil energy but there actually has to be something to replace it. Why do we have to keep saying this.

Last edited by zamler; 11-22-2021 at 06:54 PM.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zamler For This Useful Post:
Old 11-22-2021, 07:01 PM   #2669
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's time, David.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 11-22-2021, 07:07 PM   #2670
Krovikan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macman View Post

I came across rancher from Missouri a while back. Greg Judy is his name and he's into regenerative ranching were he moves his herd around on land that stays in grass with no tillage. It's interesting and seems more sustainable and you don't have open land sitting there eroding when there's no crop.
Great this is what the green movement needs, disgraced and unethical Suzuki threatening eco terrorism...

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
Krovikan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 07:11 PM   #2671
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

How many homes does David have now? Or did he sell 3 or 4 of them and now has to slum it in his only mansion.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zamler For This Useful Post:
Old 11-22-2021, 09:19 PM   #2672
Doctorfever
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macman View Post

Yes. There are lots of really good grazing practices that work quite effectively. There are farmers that use cattle and grazing to help regenerate land that has been cultivated for years, regenerating nutrients in the soil that were lost to planting crops over the years.

It’s amazing what you can do when you replace fossil fuels tractors and imported fertilizers with grass and cattle.

Now do t get me wrong, I am not against planting crops…. Gotta feed the world somehow.
Old 11-22-2021, 10:15 PM   #2673
Faust
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Boycott Black Friday and Cyber Monday 2021:

https://www.ethicalconsumer.org/reta...er-monday-2021
Faust is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Faust For This Useful Post:
Old 11-22-2021, 10:34 PM   #2674
Icantwhisper
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krovikan View Post
Great this is what the green movement needs, disgraced and unethical Suzuki threatening eco terrorism...

But that's not what he said, he's simply stating he can see groups doing it as a last resort. The article specifically says he doesn't support it.
No different than us saying the canucks fans will riot, doesn't mean we support it.
Kenney not being able to comprehend that is not a surprise
Old 11-23-2021, 07:05 AM   #2675
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icantwhisper View Post
But that's not what he said, he's simply stating he can see groups doing it as a last resort. The article specifically says he doesn't support it.
No different than us saying the canucks fans will riot, doesn't mean we support it.
Its a very strong possibility. If India or some other country goes through a mega heatwave that kills thousands or millions of people or people are being displaced and moved into refugee camps because their home is no longer habitable - there will be people who feel they have to take action in their own hands.
Old 11-23-2021, 07:58 AM   #2676
Krovikan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:

I didn't read most of the article before responding, just the opening that discussed his comments. I didn't see Kenny's comments and my opinion of him is he is an idiot.

But after reading further down, but O'Toole is right, and disagree with your reading of this. This type of rhetoric is dangerous, and is often how leaders of movements pretend they aren't encouraging violence. Though he is a huge hypocrite because he supports groups that say similar things on the right.

Krovikan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 08:33 AM   #2677
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

How crazy is it that we vilify those who refine and distribute fossil fuels instead of those who consume it. As though we only consume it because they produce it. It’s psychological displacement on a massive scale.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 11-23-2021, 08:58 AM   #2678
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
That is very, very similar to what Trump said about the reprobates who tried to take over Washington after the election.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bizaro86 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-23-2021, 09:06 AM   #2679
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
How crazy is it that we vilify those who refine and distribute fossil fuels instead of those who consume it. As though we only consume it because they produce it. It’s psychological displacement on a massive scale.
What are you talking about?

Users are also villified - see China/India or even down to the city dwelling pick up driver.
Old 11-23-2021, 09:27 AM   #2680
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
What are you talking about?

Users are also villified - see China/India or even down to the city dwelling pick up driver.
Just wait a few days for the “individual changes don’t do ####” posts from the same guy.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote