Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-27-2014, 11:45 AM   #1
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:
Icon48 Hockey is almost tied with basketball and auto racing in America

According to the Harris Poll survey, at least in regards to favorite sport. Football is obviously king, but basketball has dropped since the Jordan days, auto racing also has regressed, while hockey has stay stagnated around the same level since 2006.

http://www.scribd.com/fullscreen/202...ew_mode=scroll
Joborule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 11:48 AM   #2
Cleveland Steam Whistle
Franchise Player

Exp:

I always wonder about how regional discrepancies play into this. I've always thought (perhaps falsely) that at the US national level, hockey would be way down the list. But in certain parts of the US, like the NE, Chicago, Boston, New York area, Michigan and Minnesota, that hockey would actually be legitimately a top sport, somewhere in the top 5.
Cleveland Steam Whistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 11:50 AM   #3
gradin-23
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Am i reading it wrong? I don't see how hockey is close to auto racing or basketball. Hell, it's behind college basketball and has soccer on its tail.

Tied with women's tennis in 2002,
gradin-23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 11:52 AM   #4
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

gradin, read the 2nd table. It shows 2013 stats. The first table shows only up to 2004.
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Buff For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2014, 11:57 AM   #5
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Steam Whistle View Post
I always wonder about how regional discrepancies play into this. I've always thought (perhaps falsely) that at the US national level, hockey would be way down the list. But in certain parts of the US, like the NE, Chicago, Boston, New York area, Michigan and Minnesota, that hockey would actually be legitimately a top sport, somewhere in the top 5.
Cities like Philadelphia have more hockey than basketball fans. It varies from state to stat, city to city. NBA is driven more by the stars athletes than the game and the NHL is more driven to by the spectacle. Both are still small time compared to baseball and football but I don't see hockey ever overtaking basketball as hockey is more regional. The NHL does very well in its regions but there are certain regions that it's never going to crack while basketball is pretty universal. The NHL has got a leg up in the success of the outdoor games which I'm sure is something the NBA envies right now.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 12:04 PM   #6
gradin-23
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buff View Post
gradin, read the 2nd table. It shows 2013 stats. The first table shows only up to 2004.
I don't think it was loading, I tried scrolling earlier. Thanks though, found it.

Hockey is killing unsure!!
Old 01-27-2014, 12:22 PM   #7
macrov
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Table two is my favorite

- Nascar is actually for those whose are poor and stupid. AHAHAh well done south park

It would be interesting to see table 2 for hockey - my bet is that it is quite popular for those with a college degree or more (white people who could afford to play as a kid) and with urbanites rather than with rural americans.
macrov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 12:39 PM   #8
Phil Russell
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Hockey is far and away the most regionalized of the big four sports in the USA. I am not sure it would take first place in any major market but there are areas were it is definitely a strong number two--upstate New York for example, and parts of New England and the Midwest. There are many areas where it is definitely more popular than basketball. And, don't underestimate how committed the hockey market is in places like Boston and NYC and Chicago and Minneapolis etc. Even in cities where the NHL may be the least popular of the big four sports, it may have the most loyal fanbase.
Phil Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 01:40 PM   #9
gradin-23
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by macrov View Post
Table two is my favorite

- Nascar is actually for those whose are poor and stupid. AHAHAh well done south park

It would be interesting to see table 2 for hockey - my bet is that it is quite popular for those with a college degree or more (white people who could afford to play as a kid) and with urbanites rather than with rural americans.
Live NASCAR is an absolute riot. (in the good sense) Basically a great weekend party with car crashes.
Old 01-27-2014, 01:45 PM   #10
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Demo Reel, Part 1: NBA Young, MLB Old, NHL Affluent

http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/2014...-nhl-affluent/

Demo Reel, Part 2: Though Outnumbered, Women Watch Sports in Big Numbers

http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/2014...n-big-numbers/

Demo Reel, Part 3: Except For NBA, Not Much Diversity in Sports TV Audience

http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/2014...s-tv-audience/

The Stanley Cup Final was an especially weak performer among minority viewers. African Americans made up between 1% and 5% of the audience for each game, Hispanics made up between 2% and 6%, and Asian viewers made up between 3% and 4%. Overall, the demographics made up just 6-13% of the audience for each game, making the Stanley Cup Final easily the least diverse sporting event examined.

Demo Reel: Final Thoughts on Sports TV Demographics

http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/2014...-demographics/

The NHL may not have the numbers of the other leagues, but it skewed younger than every event but the NBA and had the most affluent audience of the events examined. Advertisers thirst for young audiences with disposable income, and the NHL would be in great shape if it could attract more viewers. One problem — 2013 was an unusually good year for the league, and the numbers may drop back to Earth this season. Another problem — the Stanley Cup Final had the least diversity of any event examined.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 01:59 PM   #11
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

less diversity has it's upside though... a more homogenous viewing base is good news for advertisers

if hockey is popular with young, affluent, non-diverse urbanites, that's an excellent problem to have with respect to advertising
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 02:11 PM   #12
PIMking
Franchise Player

Exp:

not in my household

1. NCAA football
2. NHL
3. NFL
4. NCAABB
5. Soccer
6. Auto Racing
7. Curling
8. grass growing

12327645 NBA...

It's funny to me because ESPN has a huge hard on with the NBA and their contract with them and pushes it so much.

The NBA sucks, when you got guys teaming up to make a dream team and it looks like the officials do things to make a boston v LA matchup makes people watch other things.
Old 01-27-2014, 02:33 PM   #13
_Q_
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Americans have weird preferences.
_Q_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 02:52 PM   #14
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Q_ View Post
Eh? Why do you say that?

Sorry it is purely a fluke that I posted to question posts to you in a row, not trying to be a dick.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 03:04 PM   #15
pylon
NOT Chris Butler

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Q_ View Post
LOL, Americans have weird preferences?

Canadians go apeshart watching balding, chain smoking, middle aged realtors with beer guts scream at a rock professionally.
pylon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pylon For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2014, 06:13 PM   #16
Texas Blueliner
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Can't stand basketball, good to see the rest of the country is catching on.
Texas Blueliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 06:21 PM   #17
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Personally I love the NBA and the league is pretty competitive now with small market teams Oklahoma City, Indiana, and San Antonio contending. It seems like the is a hate on for that league by many in this city.
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2014, 06:30 PM   #18
calgaryred
Franchise Player

Exp:

I do see in attendance figures at arenas for NBA 11,000 to 14,000 crowds, and I am thinking and this is more popular than hockey.
calgaryred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 06:32 PM   #19
DOOM
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I don't mind watching Basketball occasionally, but it is pretty fair down on my list of what to watch if its on.
DOOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 06:35 PM   #20
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

I find a lot of people like either Hockey or Basketball, few like both. Maybe because they always seem to be on at the same time, and how the seasons last about the same amount of time?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gradin-23 View Post
Live NASCAR is an absolute riot. (in the good sense) Basically a great weekend party with car crashes.
Agreed, and driving an oval like that is an absolute blast. I bashed it until I tried it.

Can't stand watching it on TV though.
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
america , harris poll , hockey , poll , usa