Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-05-2023, 09:27 AM   #281
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by activeStick View Post
It's just not the same without the mullet.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2023, 10:40 AM   #282
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
Are you kidding me? Are we already forgetting Gaudreau's lucrative Pizza 73 commercial?
Then after winning the calder Kaprizov was able to land that Great Clips commercial...

Meanwhile Lamelo Ball, the NBA rookie from the same year, signed a $100 million deal with Puma.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2023, 10:51 AM   #283
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

Cale Makar has a great clips deal as well.
Paulie Walnuts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2023, 12:30 PM   #284
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
Multiple people said he was the first...he is getting enough attention without having to make things up
Only three people have mentioned it. The person who asked the original question, then the person who referenced that question as a joke and then you making sure everybody knows it isn't true.

I don't see a single person saying it was true, never mind "multiple." I also don't see anyone "making things up."
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2023, 12:35 PM   #285
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

It was stated as if true a couple times...just staying facts no need to get bent outta shape
Old 06-05-2023, 12:50 PM   #286
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
It's doing a hell of a job of pointing out how poorly we market our players, even inside of this City.

So yeah - you get a lot of criticism while you play here, but guess what? You get almost none of the public benefits that you do while playing in Florida. You'll get all the public scrutiny, and none of the brand growth! What a deal!
I think it's a perception issue with Canadian hockey media and fans.

In Canada we have this "holier than thou" mindset about hockey and that all these players are good ole boys that do no wrong. Everyone needs to be wholesome and good role models.

They are leaning into Tkachuk being the Villain in Florida...he is the "Rat King". Which has to be a bit liberating for him.

Also I don't think the Flames media or market is that hard on their players at all. We aren't Edmonton levels of homers...but we aren't as harsh as the media in Toronto, Vancouver, or Montreal are on their players for sure.

I don't think Tkachuk was treated unfairly here by fans or local media at all. National Canadian Media of Oilers homers were the only ones tough on him and honestly think that was driven a lot by the Oilers and Canucks homer media that wanted to downplay their teams passing on Tkachuk for Puljujarvi and Juolevi. Although 2 more years of Tkachuk at $8.5M would look pretty good right now.

Last edited by SuperMatt18; 06-05-2023 at 01:03 PM.
SuperMatt18 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2023, 12:56 PM   #287
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
It's doing a hell of a job of pointing out how poorly we market our players, even inside of this City.

So yeah - you get a lot of criticism while you play here, but guess what? You get almost none of the public benefits that you do while playing in Florida. You'll get all the public scrutiny, and none of the brand growth! What a deal!
To be fair he didn't play like this here in the playoffs and never had a deep run

I mean if they lost in the first or 2nd round Tkachuk wouldn't be the face of anything in Florida or anywhere else either.

Canadian media being Oiler fanboys part is true though...imagine another star being criticized for being attacked by Kassian and not fighting back

If someone jumped McDavid would they call him a turtle

Last edited by dino7c; 06-05-2023 at 01:05 PM.
dino7c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2023, 01:01 PM   #288
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Also thought this was an interesting tidbit I heard this weekend.

The rumor is that in 2019 the Tkachuk camp and the Flames has agreed on the construct of 2 deals, and that 8 years wasn't really on the table from the Tkachuk camp.

3 year: 3 x $21 M ($7M AAV)

6 year: 6 x $50M ($8.5M AAV)

What I heard was in the end Treliving preferred the cap flexibility of the 3 year deal, as well as the opportunity to re-sign him longer which could have kept him here 8 years after the initial 3 year deal.

He thought getting Tkachuk to re-sign long term again after year 6 would have been tough, and he thought that having 2 years to re-sign or trade Tkachuk before his UFA status kicked in (July 1st 2021 - July 1st 2023), would be better than only buying two years of UFA and walking him to UFA at 27.

Honestly I have a hard time faulting that logic even with the benefit of hindsight. I think if it wasn't for COVID (and a bunch of other things...Sutter, Muzzin incident, etc) it might have worked out too.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-05-2023, 01:06 PM   #289
Matty81
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I respectfully disagree... I think it was very poor judgement by Treliving not to take the 6 year option if true. I appreciate that he would have needed to make other moves but you build around your key pieces and move vets and secondary players as needed to keep them not the other way around. Calgary has a long history of star american players wanting to move on after they've done their time and there were many people here concerned about the bridge deal when he chose to sign it. Just from a simple asset value preservation perspective locking in your young star players is always the way to go in today's NHL

Treliving made a lot of decent moves but for me decision to bridge Tkachuk and his failure to accurately assess Gaudreau's intention/waiting until the last minute so he had no trade option were two catastrophic mistakes
Matty81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2023, 01:08 PM   #290
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

3 years and lock him up for 8 years in his prime or 6 years walk him to UFA and poney up a 8 year deal at age 28 that probably is double digits in his not so productive years.

3 years makes sense especially with the cap squeeze and a team that won the west in the regular season.
Paulie Walnuts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2023, 01:09 PM   #291
hah
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by activeStick View Post

Two ex Calgary Flames team mates. At least one of them "retired" a flame.

Lomberg and Bennet were also on that team.
Old 06-05-2023, 01:21 PM   #292
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
They are leaning into Tkachuk being the Villain in Florida...he is the "Rat King".
That's not really how they're using it. It's more of a reclaimation project. They see people calling him a rat and they're turning it around on them. Rats are their "C of Red."

Quote:
For older Panthers fans, the return of the rats to South Florida is a sight for sore eyes and leads them to fondly remember the Panthers’ magical run to the Stanley Cup Final in 1996. Yet, for the younger generation, a brief history lesson may be in order about the story behind the flying vermin.

The Origins of the Florida Panthers Rats

The story of the rats goes back to Oct. 8, 1995. Prior to a game against the Calgary Flames, a rat appeared in the Panthers’ locker room in the old Miami Arena. Former Panthers’ captain Scott Mellanby jumped up, grabbed a stick, and smacked the pesky rodent against a wall. Later that night, Mellanby scored two goals, leading then Panthers’ goalie John Vanbiesbrouck to quip, “He scored a rat trick”.

https://thehockeywriters.com/florida...y-of-the-rats/
They're not leaning into him being a villian. They're saying, to everyone who calls him a rat, "You're absolutely right, but he's not just a rat. We're all rats, and he's our King."

Corny, I know, but the point is they're trying to chage the meaning of the term "rat" as it relates to Tkachuk, not celebrate the negative connotation of it.

Ps. My all-time favourite memory of the rats in Forida isn't even about the rats at all. It's about a bounce-back game for my all-time favourite player - and Michael Haynes', "Forget the rats, throw the hats!" after his third goal.

Last edited by FanIn80; 06-05-2023 at 01:30 PM.
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FanIn80 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-05-2023, 01:32 PM   #293
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matty81 View Post
I respectfully disagree... I think it was very poor judgement by Treliving not to take the 6 year option if true. I appreciate that he would have needed to make other moves but you build around your key pieces and move vets and secondary players as needed to keep them not the other way around. Calgary has a long history of star american players wanting to move on after they've done their time and there were many people here concerned about the bridge deal when he chose to sign it. Just from a simple asset value preservation perspective locking in your young star players is always the way to go in today's NHL

Treliving made a lot of decent moves but for me decision to bridge Tkachuk and his failure to accurately assess Gaudreau's intention/waiting until the last minute so he had no trade option were two catastrophic mistakes
I think it's an interesting discussion to be honest. I'm not sure which way I would have went, but I can understand the logic behind going for 3 and trying to main RFA control on the player.

Gaudreau got the 6 year deal.

Tkachuk got the 3 year deal.

Gaudreau walked at UFA leaving the Flames with nothing.

Tkachuk with the 3 year deal created a trigger point where Treliving still had control as an RFA and allowed him to make the deal when Tkachuk's intentions were clear.

If you don't like how Gaudreau's situation ended then I'm also not sure how to be against the Tkachuk deal. It created a push point to make sure Tkachuk's intentions were clear, and allowed them to move him at full value where a team could negotiate their own contract with him.
Old 06-05-2023, 01:34 PM   #294
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

That sucker punch to the face was no good.

But I guess that's what unicorns do! haha
Old 06-05-2023, 08:04 PM   #295
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

When the Corn says stop, you stop Eichel.
Old 06-06-2023, 06:49 AM   #296
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

When the going gets tough Tkachuk has to curtail his inner pest as he's unravelled at the worst time. Maybe these antics are just who he is but he's a much better player when he sticks to playing.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2023, 08:04 AM   #297
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulie Walnuts View Post
Cale Makar has a great clips deal as well.
NHL endorsement deals are crap. Crosby at his peak got Tim Hortons. McDavid gets betting sites.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2023, 07:43 PM   #298
midniteowl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
NHL endorsement deals are crap. Crosby at his peak got Tim Hortons. McDavid gets betting sites.

Tim Horton >> betting sites
Old 06-06-2023, 08:51 PM   #299
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by midniteowl View Post
Tim Horton >> betting sites
Crosby >>> McDavid so it’s fair
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 06-13-2023, 08:15 PM   #300
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Man without the Corn it's like Vegas is playing Columbus or the Canucks!

Tkachuk matters.

Tags
gio can't touch that , muzzin no good. , ref hate me , sandals to work , unicorns are real!