Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-30-2023, 07:20 AM   #101
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calumniate View Post
Fuuck this show is a to hell. Forget about every self absorbed element about it. Spoiler alert, a right wing entitled, abusive white guy won. What a story. Feel super bad for all of the other white actors that escaped with multimillion dollar parachute clauses. I pray for them

Edit.. And fuuck their music too
The show is just a reflection on reality. Don't hate the show, hate what we have created. It wouldn't have been "real" if it had ended differently.

Agree on the music, though.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2023, 08:32 AM   #102
calumniate
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
The show is just a reflection on reality. Don't hate the show, hate what we have created. It wouldn't have been "real" if it had ended differently.

Agree on the music, though.
That's fine I suppose.. but I won't be watching 4 seasons of danielle smith anytime soon, thank you
calumniate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2023, 08:52 AM   #103
you&me
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Fuuck this show is a to hell. Forget about every self absorbed element about it. Spoiler alert, a right wing entitled, abusive white guy won. What a story. Feel super bad for all of the other white actors that escaped with multimillion dollar parachute clauses. I pray for them

Tell me you don't understand satire without telling me you don't understand satire.
you&me is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to you&me For This Useful Post:
Old 05-30-2023, 08:55 AM   #104
calumniate
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah I suppose my rage is somewhat irrational on this one, I'll give you that. I just think it's a fine edge of giving attention to something that simply doesn't deserve it, even if it's satire.
calumniate is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to calumniate For This Useful Post:
Old 05-30-2023, 02:01 PM   #105
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah I suppose my rage is somewhat irrational on this one, I'll give you that. I just think it's a fine edge of giving attention to something that simply doesn't deserve it, even if it's satire.
It's not that irrational, I think as we live in a world dominated by oligarchs who piss on us from on high we can expect many shows like this and Billions that attempt to humanise our masters and make us feel somehow they are just like us
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2023, 02:30 PM   #106
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Well Lawrence Yee was in the running for CEO. Yee-haw?
Manhattanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2023, 02:59 PM   #107
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Loved this show, overall. To be fair, I don’t truly believe that billionaires are so fragile and wishy-washy as portrayed, but who cares. A little disappointed by the finale, but it’s always the case with great TV shows. Greg and Tom bitch-slapping each other in the washroom was pure gold. This is a rare case of every role character being repulsive yet interesting to follow to the very end. Tom’s dinner with Mattsson was acted incredibly well and believable. I’d rank “Succession” in the top-3 of the 2000’s drama shows behind “Better Call Saul” and “Breaking Bad”.
Old 05-30-2023, 08:21 PM   #108
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

I say this a lot watching this show, but Kieran Culkin is pure gold. I could watch him read the telephone book.

Such a well crafted show with great performances throughout. I like that it ended in an appropriate timeline and didn't drag on. This is a series that will stand the test of time.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2023, 10:36 PM   #109
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

So, uh, did you like it or not? Honestly hard to tell.

Quote:
That's fine I suppose.. but I won't be watching 4 seasons of danielle smith anytime soon, thank you
Yes we are. 4 years.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2023, 01:35 PM   #110
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just read and article in Variety - apparently in one take Jeremy Strong jumps up from the bench, charges the rail and jumps over with "Colin" in chase.

Apparently Strong did this spontaneously thinking to himself that Kendall would not have any reason to keep on living.
Manhattanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2023, 06:27 PM   #111
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattanboy View Post
Just read and article in Variety - apparently in one take Jeremy Strong jumps up from the bench, charges the rail and jumps over with "Colin" in chase.

Apparently Strong did this spontaneously thinking to himself that Kendall would not have any reason to keep on living.

Jeremy Strong mentioned that in the podcast. He seems very intense as an actor; his interview made me think he would be very exhausting to work with, even though he is a very talented actor. It might have also been his cadence while speaking to the host.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2023, 08:36 PM   #112
you&me
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
Jeremy Strong mentioned that in the podcast. He seems very intense as an actor; his interview made me think he would be very exhausting to work with, even though he is a very talented actor. It might have also been his cadence while speaking to the host.
It was widely reported that he was unanimously very unpopular with his cast mates; Brian Cox in particular butted heads with Strong... Though, seeing the final result in the show, it seems the end justified the means.
The Following User Says Thank You to you&me For This Useful Post:
Old 06-05-2023, 01:30 AM   #113
Sr. Mints
First Line Centre

Exp:

Finally caught up.

I was thinking about Roman Roy's sexual proclivities (or complete lack thereof?) and all the uncle Mo-Lester business last year. Plus he's quite f'd up in general. The question of whether Roman is a young sexual assault survivor entered my mind.
Sr. Mints is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sr. Mints For This Useful Post:
Old 06-05-2023, 05:10 AM   #114
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sr. Mints View Post
Finally caught up.

I was thinking about Roman Roy's sexual proclivities (or complete lack thereof?) and all the uncle Mo-Lester business last year. Plus he's quite f'd up in general. The question of whether Roman is a young sexual assault survivor entered my mind.
I assumed that since the first season. It never even occurred to me that he wasn't.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2023, 09:17 AM   #115
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just finished the series.
Season 4 was enjoyable and I'll miss the show.

However they never really progressed the story the way they could have and I feel the series was a missed opportunity in many ways.
Good dialog, acting and compelling relationships between the characters, but there really wasn't much of a plot progression.
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2023, 09:33 PM   #116
you&me
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winsor_Pilates View Post
Just finished the series.
Season 4 was enjoyable and I'll miss the show.

However they never really progressed the story the way they could have and I feel the series was a missed opportunity in many ways.
Good dialog, acting and compelling relationships between the characters, but there really wasn't much of a plot progression.
FWIW, several articles I read tried to establish a timeline for the events as they occured on the show and most settled on roughly one year (despite some glaring inconsistencies)... That's a busy year!
Old 06-20-2023, 11:55 PM   #117
flames_fan_down_under
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Finished the series up last night. What a show. Wow. Likely one of the greatest series I have ever seen. The acting was incredible, Nicholas Britell's score fit perfectly, just a mesmerizing experience. The characters were so deeply flawed, all power hungry, yet there was humanity bubbling beneath the bravado which is why I continued to watch.

The children were all broken for several reasons, mostly though due to a father that never showed love to them, gave them attention, showed them how to treat a spouse, or care for their children, all manifesting through the children in different ways. Kendall was a terrible father and husband, Shiv a terrible wife, Roman essentially is lost and confused and has no idea how to express himself physically.

I have a lot of thoughts.

Really the kids are not completely inept, they might be horrible, selfish and power-obsessed, but it's somewhat incredible how they mapped out their own demise, and couldn't get to the finish line because they were all deeply selfish. I believe Roman sought out Lukas's approval initially, Roman and Ken got the deal to a place where the board would approve a sale, Shiv mapped out the plan to Lukas get a US CEO, all critical events that spelled their end as eventual successors. They were just always too selfish to allow their dreams to come to fruition. Logan's final words to his kids were "you're not serious people", and he nailed it, they're not. He saw how unprepared they were to ever be serious about anything other than trying to out-maneuver one another. The whole thing had a Shakespeare tragedy like quality where everyone lost but as we watched we all sort of knew their miserable end was inevitable.

Also Greg is probably one of the greatest characters ever.
flames_fan_down_under is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to flames_fan_down_under For This Useful Post:
Old 06-21-2023, 06:43 AM   #118
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

It wasn't just their father who broke them, their mom seemed like a real piece of work, too. Just toxic to be around.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote