Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-02-2023, 09:23 AM   #181
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

I would not be shocked at all if Backlund ends up in Toronto.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2023, 09:36 AM   #182
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I would not be shocked at all if Backlund ends up in Toronto.
I'll gladly do it for Boston's 1st. However, don't think Toronto does it unless Murray is throwin in and Vladar is included on our end. Just don't see it happening. They have to fill out their bottom 6 with a lot of players and are already short on cap as is.
ForeverFlameFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2023, 09:38 AM   #183
Saqe
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverFlameFan View Post
I'll gladly do it for Boston's 1st. However, don't think Toronto does it unless Murray is throwin in and Vladar is included on our end. Just don't see it happening. They have to fill out their bottom 6 with a lot of players and are already short on cap as is.

That would just make the Flames weaker and since they are in win mode right now, I don't see "roster player x for picks" type of deals happening.
Saqe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2023, 09:49 AM   #184
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saqe View Post
That would just make the Flames weaker and since they are in win mode right now, I don't see "roster player x for picks" type of deals happening.
Flames could also move the picks then for a roster player.

If the value is good, go for it, and then try and get a younger, cheaper player with some term.

But if moved for picks, Backlund should perhaps be able to be moved without taking bad contracts back.
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2023, 09:56 AM   #185
Saqe
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobra View Post
Flames could also move the picks then for a roster player.

If the value is good, go for it, and then try and get a younger, cheaper player with some term.

But if moved for picks, Backlund should perhaps be able to be moved without taking bad contracts back.

In theory sure, if you are able to find something of better value. In practice it mostly seems to be rearranging deck chairs -type of move. Backlund especially is a guy who plays hard for this team, I'm a bit wary moving on from him.
Old 06-02-2023, 10:01 AM   #186
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
I wonder if they're still in win now mode if they believe they can't walk players to free agency and can't sign everyone.

Maybe that's Conroy until he runs into Edwards and is told differently.

But hoping there's a philosophy change at the top given the over steps on the Sutter situation.

Hoping...
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 06-02-2023, 10:03 AM   #187
Saqe
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
I wonder if they're still in win now mode if they believe they can't walk players to free agency and can't sign everyone.

Maybe that's Conroy until he runs into Edwards and is told differently.

But hoping there's a philosophy change at the top given the over steps on the Sutter situation.

Hoping...

Hey, I'm all on board for a rebuild but it seems to be the consencus that it's not happening, especially since it didn't happen last summer when the timing was perfect.
Old 06-02-2023, 10:08 AM   #188
memphusk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
This rendition of the team is already mentally weak. Enough of just hanging onto these guys. Backlund cares but he isn't going to change the direction of this team as he becomes fossil fuel.
Old 06-02-2023, 10:10 AM   #189
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Hey, I'm all on board for a rebuild but it seems to be the consencus that it's not happening, especially since it didn't happen last summer when the timing was perfect.
And probably safe to assume unless we see change.

Just not sure how Conroy's statements balance to that win now mode. Doesn't seem all that possible.
Old 06-02-2023, 10:25 AM   #190
Saqe
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by memphusk View Post
This rendition of the team is already mentally weak. Enough of just hanging onto these guys. Backlund cares but he isn't going to change the direction of this team as he becomes fossil fuel.

I don't know. You probably have to pay Backs a bit too much but again I go back to seeing a homegrown talent who plays hard for the team. I'd rather overpay him than players who have no ties to the team.

Quote:
And probably safe to assume unless we see change.

Just not sure how Conroy's statements balance to that win now mode. Doesn't seem all that possible.

I guess we'll see. Even thinking about rebuild for the next several years after last summer's signings feels like a totally rudderless and knee-jerk move.
Old 06-02-2023, 10:27 AM   #191
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
If we can induce someone to take Markstrom on the side, that's still a win. I disagree for the record. Toronto has needed strong 3C candidates, and ROR is likely gone.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2023, 10:27 AM   #192
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
I don't know. You probably have to pay Backs a bit too much but again I go back to seeing a homegrown talent who plays hard for the team. I'd rather overpay him than players who have no ties to the team.

I guess we'll see. Even thinking about rebuild for the next several years after last summers signings feels like a totally rudderless and knee-jerk move.
Just take out the word rebuild.

If they plan to manage assets like Conroy said and don't walk players to free agency you likely get younger and not as good in the short term.
Old 06-02-2023, 10:27 AM   #193
memphusk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yes I agree thats the tough part to move from. So many players just don't care. Just a job.
Old 06-02-2023, 10:34 AM   #194
Saqe
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Just take out the word rebuild.

If they plan to manage assets like Conroy said and don't walk players to free agency you likely get younger and not as good in the short term.

Letting guys walk to free agency of course should be out of the question. What's the Flames window here though? Getting worse short term doesn't look like a great option either consider the age of the group.
Old 06-02-2023, 10:40 AM   #195
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Letting guys walk to free agency of course should be out of the question. What's the Flames window here though? Getting worse short term doesn't look like a great option either consider the age of the group.
The existing roster is what it is.

If you don't believe they're a contending team how they're constructed ideally you retool and get younger and hope for a Dallas Stars like situation with an older pretty effective core, and a younger core taking over the club slowly.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 06-02-2023, 11:06 AM   #196
BigFlameDog
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
He's 34 years old. He's coming off a solid season but it's likely to be diminishing returns after the expiry if his current deal. The Flame should have been looking for the next Backlund a few years ago. Maybe Ronni could be that guy but he's a ways away.
I don't disagree. It really comes down to direction. If there are going to keep on keeping on, I would rather have him here if it is a reasonable deal.

Key word reasonable. I am also all in for trading him if his demands are not reasonable.

I'm just saying, you are immediately looking to fill that hole and yeah, it would have been nice to have site lines on an internal candidate for sure.
Old 06-02-2023, 11:08 AM   #197
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
#1 play driving line in hockey with min of 350 minutes together at 67.8% xGF%

That is elite for a guy with the level of responsibility he has.

1 Calgary Flames Mangiapane-Backlund-Coleman 67.8%
2 Boston Bruins Debrusk-Bergeron-Marchand 62.8%
3 Carolina Hurricanes Martinook-Staal-Fast 62.6%
This just shows the limitations of advanced stats. Do you honestly think Brind’Amour regards the Staal line as his best line?
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 06-02-2023, 11:21 AM   #198
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
This just shows the limitations of advanced stats. Do you honestly think Brind’Amour regards the Staal line as his best line?
Too hung up on the word best.

If you have a third line deployed with mostly defensive zone starts and against the best opposition damn rights you love that line on your team if you have it.

That's why Sutter played his third line more than most teams and took it away from the top two lines.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 06-02-2023, 11:39 AM   #199
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
That’s just it, stick around for a rebuild and be part of the potential push as a veteran who stuck around. Or throw a dart at the map and pray.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
Umm, I'm absolutely throwing a dart at a strong playoff team/contender map over the Flames if I'm in the last few years of my NHL career.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
Okay.
I'm not sure what was poor in my post. You were suggesting that if Backlund wants to win a cup he may as well stick it out here and hope this team contends before he retires or "throw a dart at the map and pray".

I was just stating that despite the flippant way of describing asking for a trade to a strong playoff team or contender (throwing a dart and praying) that yes, that is absolutely the better way to go if your only goal is to win a cup. Your chances of picking (or a team accepting you in a trade) the right team is not easy (see Iginla) but it's better than staying on a team like Calgary.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2023, 11:14 AM   #200
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Does Backlund fetch a first? If so, they should absolutely trade him.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote