Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-01-2023, 05:56 PM   #141
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

For me, the show was entertaining.

None of the characters offered much in the way of being likeable though

Hank was quirky and entertaining for sure, and I got a kick out of stuff like his commentary opening the third and fourth boxes

I was entertained, I got what they were trying to do with most characters arcs. It was interesting to see the various characters as they progressed through the plot. But I didn’t particularly like anyone, or ultimately care what happened to anyone. As plot devices, yeah, but as characters, whatever.

Almost stopped watching it. But then came back to it. Different, entertaining. Won’t miss it or anything
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2023, 11:31 PM   #142
mikephoen
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I binged this show over the last few weeks. I wish I’d stopped during season 2, when I was still enjoying it but starting to get tired of it. Season 3 was bleak and not much fun. Season 4 was a complete mess, especially post time jump. Time jumps are almost always terrible in fiction, and this was no exception

Overall, Barry had some good moments, especially in the first two seasons, but in total it is very overrated in my opinion. I can’t believe some people liked this more than Better Call Saul. That’s more nuts than the characters in this show.
mikephoen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mikephoen For This Useful Post:
Old 06-24-2023, 03:56 PM   #143
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

You posted too late, your opinion is invalid.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2023, 04:59 PM   #144
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

This is a show I can totally see being polarizing. It seems a lot of people split after the ronny/lily episode. It set the surrealist aspect of the show and I can understand if some viewers weren't willing to buy it.

To me, that's the moment I knew I was in for a special ride.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2023, 02:55 AM   #145
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamer View Post
This is a show I can totally see being polarizing. It seems a lot of people split after the ronny/lily episode. It set the surrealist aspect of the show and I can understand if some viewers weren't willing to buy it.

To me, that's the moment I knew I was in for a special ride.

Not sure what you mean by a special ride

Once you lose the desire to pull for a character, it becomes an academic exercise

That’s the challenge to me. If you have characters who do immoral or bad things, and are asking the audience to invest in them, you need deft writing

This show lost it, imo. I watched to see the plot through but really didn’t care what happened, and was disappointed because it wasn’t a special ride
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DeluxeMoustache For This Useful Post:
Old 06-26-2023, 10:16 AM   #146
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikephoen View Post
I binged this show over the last few weeks. I wish I’d stopped during season 2, when I was still enjoying it but starting to get tired of it. Season 3 was bleak and not much fun. Season 4 was a complete mess, especially post time jump. Time jumps are almost always terrible in fiction, and this was no exception

Overall, Barry had some good moments, especially in the first two seasons, but in total it is very overrated in my opinion. I can’t believe some people liked this more than Better Call Saul. That’s more nuts than the characters in this show.
LOL. who thought it was better than Better Call Saul?

it's not even close.
Old 06-26-2023, 10:55 AM   #147
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post
Not sure what you mean by a special ride

Once you lose the desire to pull for a character, it becomes an academic exercise

That’s the challenge to me. If you have characters who do immoral or bad things, and are asking the audience to invest in them, you need deft writing

This show lost it, imo. I watched to see the plot through but really didn’t care what happened, and was disappointed because it wasn’t a special ride
A lot of great media is written from the perspective of amoral characters. This show was pretty brilliant in that although you may not have done the same thing, you could definitely understand why the characters did the things they did. I'm not saying it's Shakespeare, but it's a similar concept of characters who all have deep flaws who that eventually leads to their downfall.

I think a lot of people are also reading into the show a bit much. It's a comedy, albeit a dark one, at it's roots. Most episodes were relatively short (by today's standards). At 32 episodes total, split over 4 seasons, it wasn't a huge investment. Plus, c'mon....NoHO Hank!

Also, not better than Better Call Saul, which, for me, is a top series of all time.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to blankall For This Useful Post:

Tags
bill hader , dark comedy , funny , hbo , surreal