Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 05-31-2023, 09:57 PM   #461
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machiavelli View Post
Sorry to bring this up again, but Mayim is stil taking too long to rule correctly for many responses. It's annoying, and confuses the contestants
Her long pause is maddening.
habernac is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to habernac For This Useful Post:
Old 06-09-2023, 03:05 PM   #462
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

The This is Jeopardy podcast's latest episode had the production team reach out to the 148 players who lost to Ken Jennings. The stories are pretty sad. An entire lifetime to get on Jeopardy and then run into that guy.

I think they are hinting that next year, the 20th anniversary of Jennings run, there may be a Ken Jennings Roadkill Tournament.

GirlySports is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GirlySports For This Useful Post:
Old 06-09-2023, 04:08 PM   #463
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

I feel sorry for them... but also, really don't. Some of us () who fancied themselves as pretty good trivia buffs got annihilated at the initial Jeopardy! Test, and never got a chance to audition in the first place.
timun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2023, 04:53 PM   #464
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machiavelli View Post
Sorry to bring this up again, but Mayim is stil taking too long to rule correctly for many responses. It's annoying, and confuses the contestants
Dont be sorry, its just the truth. Its like she needs to wear a shock collar that sends some current into her the moment she pauses.

How many years has it been and she still hasnt gotten better? I hate the premise that "you just dont like her because she's a woman!"

No. I dont like her because she isnt good at this and shes not getting better. Its like not liking Cassie Campbell on HNIC...she's just not good at it and maybe this isnt the job for her.

"Women can do anything men can do!"

Okay, sure. Maybe not this particular woman at this particular job? I dislike her because she ruins the flow and enjoyment of the show for me.

Maybe if Ken didnt exist? If you didnt know that there is someone out there who can do this job 100x better and he's right there?

You can feel sorry for Ken's opponents, but he just played the game and was too good, I dont really feel sorry about that.

I do however feel sorry for the poor saps who ran into Holzhauer. That guy would bury you and then steamroll your grave. It essentially wasnt even fair, but by God he was incredible to watch.

I also really like Amy. She seems like she'd be a blast to have a beer with! But she also strikes me as someone who, if she had too many could twist my head off like a bottle-cap.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 06-09-2023, 11:49 PM   #465
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Yeah but what if they could have been a super champion if they hadn't played Ken.

For example, Dave Madden had a 19 game streak just months after Jennings' ended. If he has been called earlier in the pool, he might have been just another victim. In fact the friend he took the test with was a victim but thankfully Ken was gone when Madden got the call.

So yeah, pass the Jeopardy test and don't run into a master!

Last edited by GirlySports; 06-09-2023 at 11:54 PM.
Old 06-12-2023, 08:43 PM   #466
mile
Franchise Player

Exp:

Pat Sajak retiring after the next season of Wheel.

Should move Mayim there
mile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2023, 08:56 PM   #467
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mile View Post
Pat Sajak retiring after the next season of Wheel.

Should move Mayim there
Preferably lashed to the Wheel?

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 06-14-2023, 08:05 PM   #468
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1669159109239926785
Old 06-15-2023, 10:36 AM   #469
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

The current champ Krishnan has such a pitiful 4 day total. Too safe, Jeopardy is it's best when folks take big swings on daily doubles and final Jep.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2023, 07:29 AM   #470
Machiavelli
Franchise Player

Exp:

^^ That was an annoying episode. Not being able to come up with a single city in Alberta was bad, saying Manitoba was worse.

I was unpleasantly surprised by the number of triple stumpers, and Mayim's inappropriate giggling made me more ragey than usual
Old 06-16-2023, 09:34 AM   #471
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

I also get annoyed by contestants who don't look for the daily doubles. How are they not paying attention to how the game has evolved? Daily Doubles are critical to winning the game, including just to keep them away from your opponents. So the contestants that still start at 200 and work down a category drive me nuts. Or that guess in the same category where a DD has already been revealed.

The game has evolved. It used to be that it was largely based on who was click to the buzzer, and who knew the most.

Now to go on a run, you need to have those elements plus be smart with your clue selection to get DDs, and manage your bets correctly. It stuns me how bad most contestants are at those elements of the game, despite some of the super champs basically providing a playbook on how to do this.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 06-16-2023, 11:00 AM   #472
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
I also get annoyed by contestants who don't look for the daily doubles. How are they not paying attention to how the game has evolved? Daily Doubles are critical to winning the game, including just to keep them away from your opponents. So the contestants that still start at 200 and work down a category drive me nuts. Or that guess in the same category where a DD has already been revealed.

The game has evolved. It used to be that it was largely based on who was click to the buzzer, and who knew the most.

Now to go on a run, you need to have those elements plus be smart with your clue selection to get DDs, and manage your bets correctly. It stuns me how bad most contestants are at those elements of the game, despite some of the super champs basically providing a playbook on how to do this.
I love it when people play like it is a game, not a test of knowledge.
Old 06-16-2023, 12:23 PM   #473
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post

Admittedly, I prefer when contestants go 200 down. However, that's not the right strategy.

I have been told by a former contestant that when the lights are on, and the cameras start rolling, you don't think as clearly as you do from the couch in your living room. Poor guy was leading into final but got it wrong, 3rd place came from behind to win it.

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Maritime Q-Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Maritime Q-Scout For This Useful Post:
Old 06-16-2023, 01:29 PM   #474
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maritime Q-Scout View Post
Admittedly, I prefer when contestants go 200 down. However, that's not the right strategy.

I have been told by a former contestant that when the lights are on, and the cameras start rolling, you don't think as clearly as you do from the couch in your living room. Poor guy was leading into final but got it wrong, 3rd place came from behind to win it.
Another lesson: if you have a chance to win it in Double via a runaway by being more aggressive then go for it. Because if you leave it to Final, you are leaving far too much up to chance.
Be aggressive and win it before Final. Also because as soon as you double up your nearest competitor, it pushes pressure on them to buzz in and guess more.
Old 06-16-2023, 02:05 PM   #475
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I still don't get how James was able to hit so many DD's in the tournament, particularity on his first selection.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2023, 02:11 PM   #476
mile
Franchise Player

Exp:

The DDs are more likely to be hidden in the core/traditional J! categories - geography, literature, history, science, etc. in the bottom three rows.

James took a year off from his job as a Sports Gambler to prepare for his first J! run. Probably studied and memorized the entire archive of clues and game boards to know where to go.
mile is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mile For This Useful Post:
Old 06-16-2023, 02:58 PM   #477
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mile View Post
The DDs are more likely to be hidden in the core/traditional J! categories - geography, literature, history, science, etc. in the bottom three rows.

James took a year off from his job as a Sports Gambler to prepare for his first J! run. Probably studied and memorized the entire archive of clues and game boards to know where to go.
IRRC he also made a clicker at home and practiced clicking it with the right timing.
The Following User Says Thank You to TheIronMaiden For This Useful Post:
Old 06-16-2023, 04:26 PM   #478
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronMaiden View Post
IRRC he also made a clicker at home and practiced clicking it with the right timing.
I've never understood this because there is no feedback loop as to whether you are clicking at the right time or not. How do people actually "practice" at home?
The Following User Says Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 06-16-2023, 11:16 PM   #479
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

I remember hearing Andy Richter talking about that.

When he was scheduled to go on Celebrity Jeopardy, he asked some people who had been on Jeopardy for advice, and I think it was Jennings who advised him to watch the show while holding a clicker pen and practice clicking it repeatedly after Alex was done reading the question.

It wasn't so much about getting the timing down, it was more about getting used to rapidly clicking the button. Using a pen gave you the audible feedback so if you didn't hear the click, you knew you either weren't clicking hard enough or you weren't fully releasing it before pushing it again. It helped train you to fully click and release the button repeatedly and rapidly.
Old 06-17-2023, 05:49 PM   #480
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Krishnan's streak ends at 6, lost on WEdnesday. Then two unimpressive winners on Thursday and Friday so kind of boring right now. Really is luck of the draw for contestants. Getting now might win you a day and $10,000+

Tags
double jeopardy , therapists , who is