Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-27-2023, 03:43 PM   #301
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Even look at Chicago's Goalscorers.

We got smoked by Chicago's AHL team.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2023, 03:47 PM   #302
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't think anyone has argued that the team plays better in front of Vladar. The W-L speaks for itself.

The question is why that's on Markstrom and not the team. Especially in a game like last night when he gave them no reason through the start to have any lack of confidence in him. He was definitely on his game in the first ten-15 minutes, and they were not.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2023, 04:18 PM   #303
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
Lots of different types of teams contend for the cup. You look at the last ten or so years of cup winners, and Lindholm compares well to (and even tops) a few of the #1 centres in the list.

But I find the “this player isn’t this position on a cup contender!” argument is usually lazy and sometimes pretty dumb anyway.
Lindholm can be #1C on a cup winning team if the top line wingers, defense, and goalie are god tier. I'm squinting real hard to see that composition on this roster though.
Inglewood Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2023, 04:25 PM   #304
beaster
Draft Pick

Default Tre

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentCrimmIndependent View Post
Two division winning finishes in the last 4 years and a current 23-17-9 record in a WC spot?

you're right, it doesn't get worse than that
it's not how a season starts its about how it finishes
beaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2023, 04:49 PM   #305
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentCrimmIndependent View Post
That's not the implication of the post.

I'm asking why the denial around the team about what's obvious to the rest of us.
Well that is my point...where is the denial? Vladar is getting the bulk of the work of late
Old 01-27-2023, 06:17 PM   #306
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
The question is why that's on Markstrom and not the team. Especially in a game like last night when he gave them no reason through the start to have any lack of confidence in him. He was definitely on his game in the first ten-15 minutes, and they were not.
Yeah, I can understand if you don't have confidence in your goalie feeling nervous to start the game. But once you see he's actually on his game it should settle you in. A team that can't is mentally weak.

Not that I buy the whole "The players have no confidence in him and that's why they don't score" excuse.
Inferno is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Inferno For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2023, 07:35 PM   #307
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Vladar has been average...team is playing at a 109 point pace with him in net on the season
Flames just need average not even great to be a good team that would coast into the playoffs

Sadly Markstrom has been below average
Old 01-28-2023, 06:19 AM   #308
Tsawwassen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Postgame links
https://stats.cbc.ca/hockey/nhl/recap/146514
https://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl...n-26-1.6727740
https://scores.nbcsports.com/nhl/rec...s=4&final=true
https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/games/2466417/
https://www.espn.com/nhl/recap/_/gameId/401459361
Old 01-28-2023, 06:49 AM   #309
CGY12
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Lots of different types of teams contend for the cup. You look at the last ten or so years of cup winners, and Lindholm compares well to (and even tops) a few of the #1 centres in the list.

But I find the “this player isn’t this position on a cup contender!” argument is usually lazy and sometimes pretty dumb anyway.
McKinnon, Point, Crosby, Backstrom, Toews, Kopitar, Bergeron, Datsyuk and Getzlaf, all #1 centres on cup winning teams dating back 15 years.

Please tell me who he compares too and "even tops" on this list in terms of skillset? I'd literally rather have every single one of those players over Lindholm as my #1 centre. All of those players have the capability to step on the ice and control the pace of the game and the skillset to gain the o zone with relative ease.

Like I said Lindholm is an awesome player, he's very useful and produces statistically, but he lacks the ability to carry and control the puck, which is a vital skill to have for your #1 centre in the playoffs. You are seeing it this year without Johnny, he looks less dangerous playing with 2 guys who can't do it either and this is our #1 line. His ideal spot is 2nd line C on a championship caliber team, behind a player that's the caliber of anybody I mentioned above.

Last edited by CGY12; 01-28-2023 at 06:53 AM.
CGY12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2023, 09:09 AM   #310
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by beaster View Post
it's not how a season starts its about how it finishes
Not sure I agree.

I think if the GM builds a team that can win a division it's more on coaching to never take it the rest of the way isn't it?

Doesn't make sense otherwise.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2023, 09:12 AM   #311
Burning Beard
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGY12 View Post
McKinnon, Point, Crosby, Backstrom, Toews, Kopitar, Bergeron, Datsyuk and Getzlaf, all #1 centres on cup winning teams dating back 15 years.

Please tell me who he compares too and "even tops" on this list in terms of skillset? I'd literally rather have every single one of those players over Lindholm as my #1 centre. All of those players have the capability to step on the ice and control the pace of the game and the skillset to gain the o zone with relative ease.

Like I said Lindholm is an awesome player, he's very useful and produces statistically, but he lacks the ability to carry and control the puck, which is a vital skill to have for your #1 centre in the playoffs. You are seeing it this year without Johnny, he looks less dangerous playing with 2 guys who can't do it either and this is our #1 line. His ideal spot is 2nd line C on a championship caliber team, behind a player that's the caliber of anybody I mentioned above.
After a 3 point night against the top team in the division and still complaining.
Burning Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Burning Beard For This Useful Post:
Old 01-28-2023, 09:43 AM   #312
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:

He’s one of the best defensive forwards in the league, playing better on that side of the puck than bottom six guys who specialize in it (spends more time short handed than most of the league and still produces), and he’s a number one because he can bring the offence as well. He’s excellent on faceoffs and I think you’re wrong by about his ability to carry and control the puck. Of course he looks less dangerous offensively without two 100+ point players on his wing. Literally every guy you named looks less dangerous with weaker wingers, and few of them are exceptional enough to look completely dangerous on their own.

He’s comparable to Bergeron, Backstrom, O’Rielly, Toews, Kopitar, Getzlaf, Krejci, etc. I think when you balance out offence and defence, he’s better than Backstrom, O’Rielly, Toews, Kopitar, and Krejci. You can disagree, and that’s fine, but saying he can’t be a number one on a stanley cup winning team is lazy and dumb.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 01-28-2023, 10:39 AM   #313
CGY12
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burning Beard View Post
After a 3 point night against the top team in the division and still complaining.
Complaining? lol. Talk about tunnel vision. In my post I stated Lindholm is an awesome player. Just because I don't think he's a #1 centre on a true Stanley Cup contending team I don't like the player?

Quote:
He’s one of the best defensive forwards in the league, playing better on that side of the puck than bottom six guys who specialize in it (spends more time short handed than most of the league and still produces), and he’s a number one because he can bring the offence as well. He’s excellent on faceoffs and I think you’re wrong by about his ability to carry and control the puck. Of course he looks less dangerous offensively without two 100+ point players on his wing. Literally every guy you named looks less dangerous with weaker wingers, and few of them are exceptional enough to look completely dangerous on their own.

He’s comparable to Bergeron, Backstrom, O’Rielly, Toews, Kopitar, Getzlaf, Krejci, etc. I think when you balance out offence and defence, he’s better than Backstrom, O’Rielly, Toews, Kopitar, and Krejci. You can disagree, and that’s fine, but saying he can’t be a number one on a stanley cup winning team is lazy and dumb.
I don't disagree with his ability to produce, play in his own zone or win faceoffs. He's a very good player. In my opinion a #1 centre, on a contender, the #1 centre needs excel at carrying the puck and gaining the zone, which I don't think is a strength of his. If you want to call me lazy for having that opinion based on watching the Flames, that's fine.

Also not disputing the fact that he isn't going to be as dangerous without Gaudreau or Tkachuk, that's a given, simply stating that the 1st line is missing a calibre of player that excels at zone entries. Hell even the power play struggles because of this.

I'll give you O'Reilly, Krejci wasn't mentioned because he isn't a 1st line centre, the others are all hall of famers yet you think they are comparable to Lindholm? Lindholm is a good player but he ain't at that level.
Old 01-28-2023, 11:18 AM   #314
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
I'll give you O'Reilly, Krejci wasn't mentioned because he isn't a 1st line centre, the others are all hall of famers yet you think they are comparable to Lindholm? Lindholm is a good player but he ain't at that level.
Krejci was the Bruins #1 center in 2011. And of course, these are all winners, we haven’t even mentioned “contenders” which is a lot looser. Calling Toews, Kopitar, and Backstrom hall of famers as the reason Lindholm isn’t on their level doesn’t mean anything, as if Lindholm continues his trajectory you’ll probably be talking about him as a hall of famer in seven years when he’s the same age as those guys.

Toews and Backstrom are two examples of guys who have benefitted heavily by playing with generational wingers through most of their careers. Kopitar plays a pretty comparable game to Lindholm.

Regardless, if the argument is that Lindholm can’t be #1 on a cup contender and you admit he’s better than O’Rielly and Krejci, that pretty much disproves the original point right there.
Old 01-28-2023, 07:45 PM   #315
CGY12
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Krejci was the Bruins #1 center in 2011. And of course, these are all winners, we haven’t even mentioned “contenders” which is a lot looser. Calling Toews, Kopitar, and Backstrom hall of famers as the reason Lindholm isn’t on their level doesn’t mean anything, as if Lindholm continues his trajectory you’ll probably be talking about him as a hall of famer in seven years when he’s the same age as those guys.

Toews and Backstrom are two examples of guys who have benefitted heavily by playing with generational wingers through most of their careers. Kopitar plays a pretty comparable game to Lindholm.

Regardless, if the argument is that Lindholm can’t be #1 on a cup contender and you admit he’s better than O’Rielly and Krejci, that pretty much disproves the original point right there.
I didn't admit anything. Playoff hockey is vastly different than regular season hockey. All 5 players you mentioned are within grasp of each other in terms of ppg production in playoff hockey, Lindholm is a ways behind all 5, and you call me lazy lol.

PS. Lindholm will never be a hall of famer
Old 01-28-2023, 08:08 PM   #316
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
I didn't admit anything. Playoff hockey is vastly different than regular season hockey. All 5 players you mentioned are within grasp of each other in terms of ppg production in playoff hockey, Lindholm is a ways behind all 5, and you call me lazy lol.

PS. Lindholm will never be a hall of famer
Keep finding whatever stat line you need. First you say he’s awesome and produces statistically, but it’s his carry and control ability that’s the problem. Now it’s that he doesn’t produce enough. Doesn’t matter because, as I said, his defensive ability is exceptional. He’s improved his P/GP in the playoffs every year, and has produced better than some individual years of guys like Bergeron, Toews, Backstrom, etc. You want to use career averages? Then give him another 7 years. You’re still being lazy, so who cares what you think about hall of fame predictions? You can’t barely figure out today.

As for what you admitted:

Quote:
I'll give you O'Reilly
That’s Stanley Cup winner Ryan O’Reilly, and if Lindholm is comparable or better than he is (which you “gave me”) then guess he’s good enough to win a cup as a #1.

Don’t know why you’re fighting it so hard. It’s a weak point to make in the first place, you don’t lose anything by admitting it was dumb.
Old 01-29-2023, 02:30 AM   #317
CGY12
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Keep finding whatever stat line you need. First you say he’s awesome and produces statistically, but it’s his carry and control ability that’s the problem. Now it’s that he doesn’t produce enough. Doesn’t matter because, as I said, his defensive ability is exceptional. He’s improved his P/GP in the playoffs every year, and has produced better than some individual years of guys like Bergeron, Toews, Backstrom, etc. You want to use career averages? Then give him another 7 years. You’re still being lazy, so who cares what you think about hall of fame predictions? You can’t barely figure out today.

As for what you admitted:

That’s Stanley Cup winner Ryan O’Reilly, and if Lindholm is comparable or better than he is (which you “gave me”) then guess he’s good enough to win a cup as a #1.

Don’t know why you’re fighting it so hard. It’s a weak point to make in the first place, you don’t lose anything by admitting it was dumb.
I gave you O'Rielly as a comparable, then checked his production in the playoffs, no bueno. Everybody else it wasn't necessary to look up the data even though I did.

Like I said, Lindholm is a good player, he does somethings very well and in my opinion a great 2nd line centre on a championship contender. To rely on him as your go to, I don't think so. In a game where puck possession/zone entries are key, its kinda important that your #1 be able to excel at that, I don't think he does.

Somebody calling somebody else lazy can't even double check playoff averages lol. The worst statistically of that group is Krejci and even he is 20% more productive statistically in the playoffs.
Old 01-29-2023, 04:45 AM   #318
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
I gave you O'Rielly as a comparable, then checked his production in the playoffs, no bueno. Everybody else it wasn't necessary to look up the data even though I did.

Like I said, Lindholm is a good player, he does somethings very well and in my opinion a great 2nd line centre on a championship contender. To rely on him as your go to, I don't think so. In a game where puck possession/zone entries are key, its kinda important that your #1 be able to excel at that, I don't think he does.

Somebody calling somebody else lazy can't even double check playoff averages lol. The worst statistically of that group is Krejci and even he is 20% more productive statistically in the playoffs.
If your entire argument is based off playoff p/gp averages, it’s not a very good argument.

Kadri is higher than Backstrom, Kopitar, Datsyuk, and Krejci, so I guess we have a Stanley Cup calibre #1 center regardless of how you feel about Lindholm.

As far as double checking playoff averages, Datsyuk is actually the lowest (should have triple checked I guess), and he’s 0.09 ahead of Lindholm. For easy math, that means for every 100 playoff games they play, Datsyuk would have put up 9 more points than Lindholm. In a playoff run where every series goes to game 7? 3 points. So you’re not making much of an argument even as you “double check” the stats. And that’s even with you waffling between trying to figure out if your argument is production or your visual perception of how he controls the puck (despite being one of the best defensive forwards in the league, which dismisses your argument about control entirely).

Last edited by PepsiFree; 01-29-2023 at 08:32 AM.
Old 01-29-2023, 07:48 AM   #319
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Man, the Flames sure do have this chronic inability to find true players for their roles. Monahan was never a true number one center, Lindholm's not a true number one center, Markstrom's not a true number one goalie, Backlund was never a true number two center, I can't remember if Gaudreau was ever a true first line winger, but I'm guessing probably not, Iginla never had a true number one center, we haven't had a true number one right winger since Iginla, or a true number one goalie since Kiprusoff.

We should get a true number one GM who can hire true number one scouts to find true players who truly fit their true roles, and then a true number one coach. I can't believe we just haven't done this already.
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Finger Cookin For This Useful Post:
Old 01-29-2023, 08:49 AM   #320
Flamesfan05
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

The years St Louis and Boston won the cups, Tim Thomas and Binnington stood on their heads

If they get goaltending like that and a very good balanced teams, Lindholm can probably win the cup

Just don’t expect him to be the main guy. He has never been one. If he is, you’d struggle making the playoffs like they are now
Flamesfan05 is offline   Reply With Quote