Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-11-2022, 01:31 PM   #1061
opendoor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
Completely agree it's not binary or forever. I'm just talking about the timing of the Omicron vaccine and protection against Omicron. It appears the current vaccines don't fully immunize from Omicron, but it provides some protection from worse symptoms and reduces likelihood of hospitalization. IMO, it's not worth getting an additional Omicron vaccine in March (I think spread of Omicron will be very limited in Canada by March anyways) if you already have 2 doses and a booster. This may prove useful if they can very quickly churn out new vaccines for potential new variants that are more resistant to previous vaccines or more deadly.
For younger healthier people, that makes sense. But there are a lot of older or vulnerable people who currently have pretty short-term immunity against Omicron through a 3rd dose of a less than ideal vaccine. If they can get one that's better suited to Omicron than can generate better and longer-lasting immunity against severe disease, then it makes tons of sense for them to get access to it. Besides, it's not going to be March when these are rolling out to the average person; it'll be more like summer.
opendoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 02:15 PM   #1062
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by opendoor View Post
For younger healthier people, that makes sense. But there are a lot of older or vulnerable people who currently have pretty short-term immunity against Omicron through a 3rd dose of a less than ideal vaccine. If they can get one that's better suited to Omicron than can generate better and longer-lasting immunity against severe disease, then it makes tons of sense for them to get access to it. Besides, it's not going to be March when these are rolling out to the average person; it'll be more like summer.
They will authorize a 4th shot for old people soon enough. May as well be one that tracks with the current variant rather then one that tracks with a variant that hasn't been seen in a year.
PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PeteMoss For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2022, 03:00 PM   #1063
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteMoss View Post
They will authorize a 4th shot for old people soon enough. May as well be one that tracks with the current variant rather then one that tracks with a variant that hasn't been seen in a year.
Exactly. And just because it will be "ready" in March, once the manufacturing and distribution gets going, this could be the predicted "fall booster" that we're all likely to get.

Once everything stabilizes a bit, we'll likely see vaccinations becoming an annual tweak and boost based on the predominant variant(s).
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 03:11 PM   #1064
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by curves2000 View Post
For those who are interested, I got an email back from the AB Health Minister regarding the provinces supply of AZ vaccine for 2nd or 3rd does etc.

They are expecting to receive small amounts of AZ vaccine in the future for the population who don't want or can't get an MRNA vaccine.

It's my understanding that Oxford and AZ are working on an Omicron specific version that should be ready in March but their own clinical data has shown that 2 doses of original AZ vaccine good hospital protection and a 3rd dose boosts protection even further.
Did they mention Novavaxx as an option? It's the only major protein based vaccine that Canada has ordered large quantities of, but the delays on procurement are pretty ridiculous.
Old 01-11-2022, 03:25 PM   #1065
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Stang View Post
Exactly. And just because it will be "ready" in March, once the manufacturing and distribution gets going, this could be the predicted "fall booster" that we're all likely to get.

Once everything stabilizes a bit, we'll likely see vaccinations becoming an annual tweak and boost based on the predominant variant(s).

So like the flu

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 04:41 PM   #1066
rohara66
First Line Centre

Exp:

24 hours of hell since getting my booster. Fever and body aches so bad I can barely walk and have barely slept.

I will need to be convinced to get future boosters. #### this ####. I have never been this sore/sick/tired.
rohara66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 04:44 PM   #1067
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohara66 View Post
24 hours of hell since getting my booster. Fever and body aches so bad I can barely walk and have barely slept.

I will need to be convinced to get future boosters. #### this ####. I have never been this sore/sick/tired.
Someone else here had posted something similar, turns out they had covid. So don't rule that out if you have a rapid test to take.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2022, 05:06 PM   #1068
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by darockwilder View Post
I was the total opposite. First 2 were sore arm for like 2.5 days, third I had joint pains the morning after and about 20 hours after the shot I started to get colder and colder. I started shivering so put on a bunch of extra clothes. Got kind of better, but then about 4 hours later I started getting hotter and hotter. Had to remove extra clothes, but an hour or so after that started everything went away and I was completely normal. Nothing after that at all. It’s interesting how differently people react.
My wife got wrecked on the first and second dose. What you described but more. For the second dose, her chills were so bad that I woke up to the sound of chattering teeth one night after she kicked off her blanket after a bunch of hot flashes (she kept thinking she had a fever, but the thermometers said otherwise).

I got a sore arm on the first day. The second dose for me though, I felt like I was under water and sleepy for 3 days. Everything sounded muffled and vision was blurry and then part way through the day, it just dissipated, like it was a bad kick of wasabi or something.

Both of us were just a tad sleepy for the third at first. My wife's Covid anxiety had been bad. She started freaking out that the pharmacist had given us a placebo. at around 48 hours ish, we suddenly both had chills and soreness in our lower body for 6-8 hours in the morning and both of us were right as rain by the early afternoon.

It's kinda bizarre how varied these vaccine symptoms can be and how they don't seem as consistent as other types of vaccines.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 05:47 PM   #1069
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
So like the flu
I wasn’t going there.

But yes, eventually, a lot like that. Not yet. But one day.
Old 01-11-2022, 08:37 PM   #1070
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
So like the flu
I preferred this take that was shared

Ducay is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ducay For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2022, 02:26 AM   #1071
curves2000
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
Did they mention Novavaxx as an option? It's the only major protein based vaccine that Canada has ordered large quantities of, but the delays on procurement are pretty ridiculous.
I didn't ask specifically about Novavaxx as it hasn't really been an option in Canada and I doubt it will be anytime soon. Just my personal opinion, I can see that muddying the waters at a time when it is not needed from an option perspective. I can see it being approved for use in Canada but from a supply, who knows.

I was specifically asking when I emailed (in September) regarding Alberta having sufficient supply of AZ for my 2nd dose. I know Canada made the decision to slowly move away from AZ but I still wanted my 2nd dose.

I got it in November but ironically I got the email response from AB Health Minister nearly 5 months later.
curves2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 07:29 AM   #1072
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducay View Post
I preferred this take that was shared

Probably preferable to them hanging a mission accomplished banner and high fiving each other while the virus evolves to evade the vaccine.
PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 03:37 PM   #1073
Minnie
Franchise Player

Exp:

We ended up canceling our Xmas eve booster appointments for a variety of reasons. Rebooked for this past Sat (the 8th). After the kids' appointments were canceled a 4th time, I booked them in at an AHS clinic for Jan 18th, but would have had to drive out to Okotoks for it, which was not a big deal.

At our appointment on Saturday, the pharmacist & I were talking & I mentioned how often the kids' appointments had been canceled. Given that the MOH recommends Pfizer for their age range, that's how AHS booked them. The pharmacist told me they were getting a shipment of Pfizer in today & to call in to make sure they got it & then they could come in as walk-ins. Called after lunch, they had the shipment in, it was very quiet so get on down there.

Zipped them both down, they're both now boostered & I canceled the AHS clinic appointment so someone else can take it.

Had Pfizer for the 1st and 2nd vax, our booster was Moderna. Husband was fine but for whatever reason, it kicked my arse and in a hurry too. Within an hour I was dizzy as hell, mildly nauseated, very fatigued and chills/achiness. The dizziness was gone by the next day, but the rest held on until last night. Woke up this morning still feeling quite fatigued so I rolled over and slept until mid-morning, which appears to be what I needed, as I feel almost back to normal now.

Waiting to see how the kids turn out - daughter was dizzy within 10 minutes, which happened with her 1st dose. Son seems fine, I expect he'll have a sore arm though, as he got both his flu shot & booster.
Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Minnie For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2022, 04:03 PM   #1074
Benched
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Just got boosted. Moderna this time. Hopefully goes smooth
Benched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 05:10 PM   #1075
rohara66
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohara66 View Post

Did a rapid test (on the advice of this thread) last night and was negative. Was weird but around 9pm last night (30 hours after the shot) I started feeling a lot better very quickly. Had a good sleep last night and am back to good enough to get to work today. Still low energy and little sore and mild fever but feel like a million bucks compared to yesterday.
rohara66 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rohara66 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2022, 05:23 PM   #1076
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knut View Post
Done today. Kids have two doses, Adults 3. Hoping we can avoid Omicron.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubicant View Post
Same here - we moved our kids up to this past weekend (about 5.5 weeks after their first).

More pressing concern is how prevalent Covid is now, we can boost them in the future as needed.

This isn't a personal attack as it applies to a large population; but parents/people who worry about COVID for their kids who do not have extreme co-morbidities are doing themselves a huge disservice due to the anxiety, worry, and even moreso those that project the worry onto children as well. The serious illness and mortality rates for kids are so far below other diseases & contagions that no one worries about on a daily basis that COVID should be lumped in with the flu, meningitis, and the lot.

"Hoping we can avoid omicron" - unfortunately it looks like no one will. So prepare as best you can, avoid the vulnerable (who should be doing their best to protect themselves anyways), but go on, live life. Don't worry about COVID as a major risk if you're healthy and kids are. Don't let it add anxiety or stress to your life unnecessarily; its gonna be around for a long time and you're going to get it, vaccinated or not, asymptomatic or not, you'll get it (if you havn't already, and even then).
The Following User Says Thank You to Ducay For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2022, 06:36 PM   #1077
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducay View Post
This isn't a personal attack as it applies to a large population; but parents/people who worry about COVID for their kids who do not have extreme co-morbidities are doing themselves a huge disservice due to the anxiety, worry, and even moreso those that project the worry onto children as well. The serious illness and mortality rates for kids are so far below other diseases & contagions that no one worries about on a daily basis that COVID should be lumped in with the flu, meningitis, and the lot.

"Hoping we can avoid omicron" - unfortunately it looks like no one will. So prepare as best you can, avoid the vulnerable (who should be doing their best to protect themselves anyways), but go on, live life. Don't worry about COVID as a major risk if you're healthy and kids are. Don't let it add anxiety or stress to your life unnecessarily; its gonna be around for a long time and you're going to get it, vaccinated or not, asymptomatic or not, you'll get it (if you havn't already, and even then).
You're not wrong, but parents may be concerned about outcomes other than death. Long Covid, MIS-C, etc. are real and do impact children, although we don't yet know to what extent. Anecdotally, I know a healthy, energetic kid that has not been the same since infection, albeit that was before vaccines were available and it was Delta. But there's a whole range of outcomes that are less than dying or requiring hospitalization.

Also, parents may not want their kids to transmit to classmates, family, and friends that may be in a higher risk category. Or transmit to anyone. Just because they may not end up in hospital themselves, unrestrained community spread will become a burden on the hospitals, and would rather not contribute to it.

And lastly, the people who are moving their appointments up aren't necessarily doing it out of fear of catching it, but are doing exactly what you say : preparing for when, not if, you catch it. Kids, like everyone else, fare better when vaccinated. And the odds of catching it during this Omicron wave are pretty elevated, so the earlier the second dose can be administered, the better.

I don't disagree with a lot of what you say, but the decision for moving appointments up isn't necessarily driven by anxiety and fear, but rather a sensible response to the new variant, and being prepared for when it passes through the class, household, sports team, etc.
Old 01-12-2022, 06:58 PM   #1078
Minnie
Franchise Player

Exp:

25 kids admitted to hospital in the last 48 hours, due to COVID. No way all 25 have comorbidities.
Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 07:15 PM   #1079
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie View Post
25 kids admitted to hospital in the last 48 hours, due to COVID. No way all 25 have comorbidities.
I would think that the ratio of comorbidities would similar to previous.

There are 1 million Albertans 19 and under. We are infecting 60,000 per day or so. So somewhere around 12-15k kids per day are getting Covid. So that’s about a 1/1000 Hospitalization rate. This is comparable to pre-vaccine chicken pox.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2022, 07:40 PM   #1080
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
I would think that the ratio of comorbidities would similar to previous.

There are 1 million Albertans 19 and under. We are infecting 60,000 per day or so. So somewhere around 12-15k kids per day are getting Covid. So that’s about a 1/1000 Hospitalization rate. This is comparable to pre-vaccine chicken pox.
Exactly, and you have to keep in mind we're effectively at "PEAK COVID" compared to any point we've been at before (and likely will ever be again hopefully). Considering zero omicron patients in the entire US have required mechanical ventilation, I'm fairly certain the odds are far in their favour.

I'm not saying there is no risk, but it is far below so many other things (like flu, RSV, old chickenpox, meningitis, etc) that we don't go hysterical for re: children.