Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Best prospect from the following list?
Andersson 11 2.70%
Bruce 0 0%
Carroll 1 0.25%
Culkin 1 0.25%
Dube 0 0%
Falkovsky 0 0%
Fox 0 0%
Gillies 266 65.20%
Hamilton 0 0%
Harrison 0 0%
Hathaway 0 0%
Hickey 42 10.29%
Kanzig 0 0%
Karnaukhov 0 0%
Klimchuck 0 0%
Kulak 0 0%
Kylington 47 11.52%
Lindstrom 0 0%
Mangiapane 8 1.96%
Mattson 1 0.25%
McDonald 0 0%
Morrison 0 0%
Ollas Mattsson 0 0%
Parsons 0 0%
Phillips 0 0%
Poirier 0 0%
Pollock 0 0%
Pribyl 0 0%
Rafikov 0 0%
Rittich 0 0%
Schneider 0 0%
Shinkaruk 28 6.86%
Smith 1 0.25%
Tuulola 2 0.49%
Wotherspoon 0 0%
Voters: 408. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-10-2016, 03:05 PM   #61
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

I wish more people were as insanely hyped about Kylington as I am, lol. His issue was "can he be coached into being defensively responsible" and so far the answer has been a pretty strong yes.

If the answer to that question was ever yes, then there was no reason for him not to shoot back up to his original potential which had him going extremely high in that draft. I think we're going to have a star defensemen in Kylington, but I understand reputations are what they are and he'll have to show it in the NHL before the masses will jump on board.

Prepare to be surprised by this kid, though, he's likely going to be an offensive, star defenseman, and we'll be looking back at this and last years prospect rankings and going "Haha, wow it's hilarious how he wasn't ranked higher back in 2015/16!", like Brodie.

Last edited by jayswin; 07-10-2016 at 03:07 PM.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
tko
Old 07-10-2016, 03:10 PM   #62
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvanfan View Post
I think Mangiapane is the guy who could jump a lot next year. If he shows he can play and produce at the pro level it will raise his stock big time.
I think he needs to prove he can play at the pro level in some shape or form. Once he proves he can perform in the pros then his stock will have something to support a projection of his potential. Small junior players are so hard to get a handle on until they play against men. Here's to hoping he rips up the AHL and we have a player on our hands.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 03:34 PM   #63
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm a bit surprised that Hickey looks like he will do well with his placing here. Not because I don't think he's any good, just because I figured more would be a bit down on him because his offensive numbers took such a hit last season at BU.

I assume his showing at development camp combined with the fact that he's now 6'2 and 208lbs helped?
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 03:56 PM   #64
Red Menace
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Gillies is #5 on my list, Jankowski #6.... Voted Kylington
Red Menace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 04:06 PM   #65
MarkGio
First Line Centre

Exp:

This one is a landslide. I personally would've had Gillies over Jankowski.

Janko doesn't have the number #1 centre potential, whereas Gillies has starter potential. Both aren't NHLers just yet, but are both on the brink. Gillies might have injury concerns, but hip surgery is normal for Goalies and even the best of them get it and recover.
MarkGio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 04:17 PM   #66
Caged Great
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
I'm a bit surprised that Hickey looks like he will do well with his placing here. Not because I don't think he's any good, just because I figured more would be a bit down on him because his offensive numbers took such a hit last season at BU.

I assume his showing at development camp combined with the fact that he's now 6'2 and 208lbs helped?
Stats aren't always everything. BU also lost Eichel, which does impact everyone's offensive totals.
Fireside Chat - The #1 Flames Fan Podcast - FiresideChat.ca
Caged Great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 04:19 PM   #67
RyZ
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkGio View Post

Janko doesn't have the number #1 centre potential, whereas Gillies has starter potential. Both aren't NHLers just yet, but are both on the brink. Gillies might have injury concerns, but hip surgery is normal for Goalies and even the best of them get it and recover.
Many would argue that MacDonald and Parsons do as well, but that wont place them in the top 5 (or likely top 10 for that matter).
RyZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 04:19 PM   #68
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Janko doesn't have the number #1 centre potential
Not sure when his potential suddenly changed but as of his draft his potential was:

Quote:
"Jankowski has the potential to be a top six scoring centre at the NHL level"

+

"NHL Potential:
First or second line center"
At least according to this link.

Last edited by GranteedEV; 07-10-2016 at 04:22 PM.
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 04:33 PM   #69
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Lots of goalies start with starter potential. Few get there. Gillies is not even in my top 8, way too much unknown here. Look at a guy like Jack Campbell who looked like a slam dunk to become a starter. Or Dipietro. Or *insert a bunch of other goalies here* I think it is crazy to rank a goalie prospect that untested this high.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 07-10-2016, 04:34 PM   #70
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Once again, I voted for Gillies.

But things will get more interesting after this round.
1qqaaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 04:43 PM   #71
Always Earned Never Given
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Voted Gillies cause he's hip!
Always Earned Never Given is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Always Earned Never Given For This Useful Post:
Old 07-10-2016, 05:04 PM   #72
Yanda
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Just lost all faith in this communities opinion. Did Patrick Sieloff jump up 5 spots when he missed an entire year? what a joke.
Yanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 06:01 PM   #73
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yanda View Post
Just lost all faith in this communities opinion. Did Patrick Sieloff jump up 5 spots when he missed an entire year? what a joke.
I don't think Sieloff has ever been considered a prime prospect except maybe by Feaster and Weisbrod. Sieloff showed that what he was is a stay at home defenceman who despite average size, likes to hit. This seems to result in injury even as a junior. His staph infection was unlucky and I feel for him but he has no offensive game and IMO no NHL future.

Gillies has been praised by management since his first year after his draft as being a top prospect and hopefully our future in goal. Sure he could disappoint but so far his playing hasn't.
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 06:15 PM   #74
MarkGio
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
Lots of goalies start with starter potential. Few get there. Gillies is not even in my top 8, way too much unknown here. Look at a guy like Jack Campbell who looked like a slam dunk to become a starter. Or Dipietro. Or *insert a bunch of other goalies here* I think it is crazy to rank a goalie prospect that untested this high.
Yeah but you can make that same argument about any other position, whether it's RW (ie, Yakupov, Jessiman), centres (Brule, Svitov), left wing (C.Gillies, Picard ) or defenseman (Ellerby, Valabik). All those positions have their fair share of busts.

Gillies was at one point a top 15 goalie prospect for 2 years. He even has exceptional pro numbers before his injury. It's also a very common and recoverable injury for goalies, and I've even heard it being a surgery to goalies as the shoulder surgery is to pitchers.
MarkGio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 06:21 PM   #75
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
No. He dropped 5 spots.
Math is hard.
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 06:50 PM   #76
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

draft projections are snapshots in time...

at a certain point in time, one has to recalibrate a players projections based on what they've done since their draft year

obviously, some posters here still think Janko has the potential of being a first or second line center based on the poll results, while others like myself see his ceiling as a colborne or backlund-lite 3rd line center - but what people think is rapidly coming to the point of being moot...

Janko's play on the ice will speak for itself now...
oldschoolcalgary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 07:50 PM   #77
Yanda
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EldrickOnIce View Post
No. He dropped 5 spots.
Math is hard.
So what puts Gillies so far ahead of M2 and Parsons in the middle of the pack? Its like Gillies can do no wrong around here, he just missed a whole season
Yanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 07:52 PM   #78
Heavy Jack
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm basing this on who I trill feel will make the biggest impact in the future after the first two (obvious IMO) picks. Andrew Mangiapane is a gamer... 100 percent believe he will be an impact guy in the NHL down the road.
Heavy Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 07:55 PM   #79
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
So what puts Gillies so far ahead of M2 and Parsons in the middle of the pack? Its like Gillies can do no wrong around here, he just missed a whole season
Yeah, he missed a whole season and that really sucks. However, the surgery he had is something that IIRC most goalies come back from without any problems. Also, he did play 7 AHL games before getting hurt and in those games posted a .920 save percentage with 2 shut outs. I imagine if he'd fared worse in those games and/or had a more serious or career threatening surgery he probably wouldn't be getting near as many votes.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 08:01 PM   #80
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I personally don't think he is. But there has been several pages of debate about it, pro and con. Bingo clearly states that there is no criteria in determining rank, except whatever ones own criteria is. I don't think most of us pretend to be scouts. It's probably a popularity contest as much as anything.

Last edited by EldrickOnIce; 07-10-2016 at 08:03 PM.
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote