Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-17-2015, 10:05 PM   #1
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:
Default Record Store Day?

Tomorrow is Record Store Day. I have thought about going but I'm currently on crutches so it will be very difficult.

I went over the deep end about 6 months ago and went from owning 4 vinyl records (since 15 years ago) to approaching 400.

I don't know anybody else who enjoys vinyl so it's not an experience I can share with someone and I am not going to even try lining up (not to mention the current handicap). I heard from the Inner Sleeve that people line up around the block, with some crazy enough to line up the night before. From what I hear, it's pretty intense.

There's a couple of dedicated Record Stores with sales on like The Inner Sleeve, the Audio Spot, Melodiya Records, Recordland, Sloth Records, and I don't know about Luke's Drug Mart.

Has anybody had any experience with RSD in Calgary? Is anybody going this year? There are a few releases I want, mostly Empire of the Sun's reprint of Walking on a Dream but it looks like I'll have to pay scalper prices on ebay afterwards.

Does traffic slow down? I might visit a store or two later to capitalize on sales of regular records. Recordland has 20% off used. Sloth has 15% off new, etc.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 07:58 AM   #2
Baron von Kriterium
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I haven't visited any of the stores on RSD and don't plan to this year. I work by Inner Sleeve and go there now and then during the week when it is quiet.

Recordland is chaos on the weekends. I imagine it will be crazier today. I find it hard to imagine it would be an enjoyable experience browsing used records today, even at 20% off. It is cramped in there.

Prices at Inner Sleeve > Audio Spot > Recordland I find - both new and used.
Old 04-18-2015, 10:15 AM   #3
BsFaninCGY
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I've been looking forward to today for about a month now - but I had no idea there would be line ups! Fingers crossed I can actually get in and browse without feeling completely overwhelmed...
BsFaninCGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 10:09 PM   #4
Trolleydodger
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I went to Recordland last year and it seemed busy, but not as busy as I was expecting. I didn't bother this year as I am primarily interested in CD's and I couldn't find any local deals on those.
Trolleydodger is offline   Reply With Quote